ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 15th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #1
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
What to do with my headlight.....

Thinking of doing something diffident with my headlight. Any good aftermarket ones out there?
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

What do you currently dislike about the stock headlights and what do you want to achieve? Do you plan on just switching out the bulb to different halogens or want to do a proper HID retrofit?

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
What do you currently dislike about the stock headlights and what do you want to achieve? Do you plan on just switching out the bulb to different halogens or want to do a proper HID retrofit?
I wouldn't say that i dislike what i have, more that i want to improve it.
I have halos on my car and love them but not sure how it would look on the bike.
I also have always love the look of audi headlights with the line of LEDs. Again i'm not sure how this would look or if anything like this is made.
I hadn't though of HIDs but that would be cool as well. The only problem with that would be i think they're illegal in NJ....

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #4
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
I wouldn't say that i dislike what i have, more that i want to improve it.
I have halos on my car and love them but not sure how it would look on the bike.
I also have always love the look of audi headlights with the line of LEDs. Again i'm not sure how this would look or if anything like this is made.
I hadn't though of HIDs but that would be cool as well. The only problem with that would be i think they're illegal in NJ....
You can wire in LED strips around the headlight, there may be some DIYs around here for that.

I'm more of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of person, so hopefully other members can chime in.

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

led strips and halos are tacky on a bike, imo.

if you want better light output, go for an HID projector retrofit. don't just stuff HID bulbs in your stock reflector housings. It's relatively cheap to get a set of morimoto bi-xnenon projectors from one of the typical HID websites. the bixenons are nice too, you'll end up with two light sources even on low-beam, and then they'll both open up to give you obnoxiously bright highbeams.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
led strips and halos are tacky on a bike, imo.

if you want better light output, go for an HID projector retrofit. don't just stuff HID bulbs in your stock reflector housings. It's relatively cheap to get a set of morimoto bi-xnenon projectors from one of the typical HID websites. the bixenons are nice too, you'll end up with two light sources even on low-beam, and then they'll both open up to give you obnoxiously bright highbeams.
I like that..... Always thought the headlights look lopsided on low.

Old March 15th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Dude, do the bixenon HID retrofit. I. LOVE. MINE. And I only have 1 in my headlight. Imagine the light output from 2
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Dude, do the bixenon HID retrofit. I. LOVE. MINE. And I only have 1 in my headlight. Imagine the light output from 2
I'm definitely going to look into these for my next mod. I despise the stock headlamps, they blow. I do a fair amount of night time riding and commuting so i definitely think it would be worth the upgrade.

Does anyone know exact details to which model, any other mods that i would need to do for these specific lamps?
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ added perk: they look fantastic as well, IMHO

Old March 16th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #10
mikecronis
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R-J, 2005 Honda Superhawk VTR1000

HIDs not legal in most states if aftermarket. Consider a different color, such as PIAA Hyper-white.
mikecronis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #11
dfox
ninjette.org sage

^That's a very true, yet misleading statement led by a lot of the internet bullying going on regarding the very unsafe practice of installing HID bulbs into a headlamp that was not designed for HID's.

Keep in mind, installing a bulb that has a different color than stock, not only reduces the visible light output, but can also be construed as being illegal. The only way to change the light color output of a halogen bulb is to put a coating on the glass of the bulb. This coating reduces the overall visible light output with the "benefit" of a "bluer" light. Light that is not viewed as being "white" by an officer, is illegal. It's all up to their interpretation.

There is not a law that states that HID's are illegal. There is, however, a law that states that you cannot modify a DOT approved headlamp. It doesn't matter what you do to it, it's illegal. It doesn't matter if you're installing HID's, installing "halos", installing LED strips, etc. If you take it apart, it's now illegal.

Nobody here is telling anyone to install HID bulbs into the stock reflector housing. THAT is a very unsafe practice that glares into oncoming drivers eyes, negatively affecting their night vision. What has been suggested is installing a bi-xenon projector that harvests the light produced by an HID bulb and projects it in the same manner that every OEM xenon projector does.

Is it technically illegal? well, yes, because you're modifying your headlight housing. Does it glare into the eyes of oncoming drivers? no. Does it have the same DOT approved cutoff line that every OEM xenon projector has? yes. It's not really any more illegal than removing the oem reflectors, or cutting the bottom of the rear mudguard off, which 90% of the people who own this bike seem to do.

bottom line, yes, it's illegal, however since the light output is no different than any other OEM setup, you're very likely never to be bothered. there are thousands of people who have retrofitted in an HID projector system into their headlights. I've had them in my car now for over 3 years. Others have had them for significantly longer. The only people that police are pulling over and ticketing for this law, are the people who put HID bulbs into the stock reflector, again, not what has ever been suggested.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #12
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I defiantly don't want to change the color. I do like the projector idea and when i need new bulbs i'll probably do that.

IF i can wait that long! haha

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #13
mikecronis
ninjette.org member

An alternative is to go up a few wattages (very few). I had good results from my 60W/80W setup on my Honda Superhawk to an 80W/80W. This electrical draw would be as if you are running high-beams all the time, though of course the low-beam is now at 80W instead of 60W and angled lower.

Electrically, the Ninjette seems to be able to do this just fine (I'm on the same battery since 2008). I'm using a Silverstar by Sylvania for it and it gives off a little more scatter and the temp is closer to a bluer hue in the frequency spectrum by a tad.

In my Honda Superhawk, I'd switched to an 80W/80W (single bulb) PIAA SuperWhite to good-effect as well, though after 7 years I had to change the battery on the bike finally.

In either case, the housing did not suffer or the wiring.

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I've said before that it's illegal in most if not all US states, and I am glad someone else has the good sense to also state this. Your insurance company has every right to invalidate your insurance due to this also.

A good quality replacement bulb, even of the same wattage may produce a better quality light at a higher level of lumens, not all bulbs of the same wattage are equal. I like the phillips bulbs myself.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #15
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
turn it upside down.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #16
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I realised I havn't upgraded the bulbs in my ninja, they're quite good as they are, but I found the Phillips H7 x-treme bulbs are well priced on Amazon so i've brought a pair

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...e-light-winter

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Great post @dfox!

Another option to make your projector retrofit as inconspicuous as possible is to use OE projectors from other vehicles that have HID projectors as DOT approved stock equipment. I know it's still illegal to tamper with a headlight, but that at least is using other parts that are approved.

Also, technically it's also illegal to shim your needles, or use a power commander/aftermarket exhaust, but look how many responsible riders use that without issue. Just like safety gear use, it's a case of balancing what you want with the consequences of your choice.

I know there are fantastic aftermarket options out there for bixenon's that put out similar/superior lighting to OE bixenon systems. Illegal? Yes. Worth using because of their superior performance? In my mind, yes.

Again, great post.

Old March 16th, 2013, 05:17 PM   #18
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I think you mean to say riding on a public highway with these modifications is illegal, a modified headlight and shimmed needles are perfectly legal per se, it's when you ride on a public highway then it's a problem.

Old March 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, I think I said exactly what was relevant, given the previous posts.

PM'd.

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #20
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Also, technically it's also illegal to shim your needles, or use a power commander/aftermarket exhaust, but look how many responsible riders use that without issue. Just like safety gear use, it's a case of balancing what you want with the consequences of your choice.

And who hasn't exceeded the speed limit? Chances are, the fine is much heavier for that, then installing a set of hid projectors.

Be careful upping the wattage on the bulbs too guys. In most cases people don't have an issue, but if it does, it would be catastrophic, like catch on fire riding down the road, catastrophic. It has happened to people in the Subaru community. You can melt wires and start a fire. You can catch the housing on fire. This is definitely not a safer alternative to installing 35w hid projectors.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM   #21
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

And who hasn't exceeded the speed limit? Chances are, the fine is much heavier for that, then installing a set of hid projectors.

Be careful upping the wattage on the bulbs too guys. In most cases people don't have an issue, but if it does, it would be catastrophic, like catch on fire riding down the road, catastrophic. It has happened to people in the Subaru community. You can melt wires and start a fire. You can catch the housing on fire. This is definitely not a safer alternative to installing 35w hid projectors.
Kind of irrelevant, but I work at a snowmobile tour company taking clients out into the Canadian Backcountry snowmobiling and the sled I was on had its' speedo out. This caused the wattage in the headlights to be amplified a tiiiiny little bit and one of the headlights caught fire. There I was, ripping up a few feet of fresh powder and I looked down just for a sec to see flames shooting up through the dash... I FREAKED out, jumped off the sled into the powder and thankfully it was snowing so hard it put the fire out. Point to the story being if this were to happen on a busy road going 90 I don't know how well one would be able to handle the situation. Things escalate really fast... I'd definitely be careful with upping any wattage to the headlights. Actually, I'll just go ahead and not recommend it lol, based on that experience alone.
Mauchner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:08 AM   #22
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
turn it upside down.
Ahahaha! that would certainly stand out!

Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:53 AM   #23
mikecronis
ninjette.org member

Aftermarket HIDs have a "dazzling" effect. It's recommended you upgrade your housing. Sport Rider Magazine has a few articles on this. I've seen some folks do it anyway and not get arrested, of course, but the capacitor banks sometimes are Chinese crap-quality and burn out pretty regularly and I've seen some burn-outs of those that are pretty severe (but not "catastrophic").

Still, you can effectively up the wattage of your low-beam light to match your high-beam bulb without ill-effect. I've been doing this for 18 years on 3 separate Ninja 250s (the other two were a 2-in-1 bulb). Wire harness and battery drain were unaffected.

Old March 27th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #24
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Just found this today from Bikemasters! You'll need two kits for each headlamp. i want to do this!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=15424

Old March 27th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #25
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post
but the capacitor banks sometimes are Chinese crap-quality and burn out pretty regularly and I've seen some burn-outs of those that are pretty severe (but not "catastrophic").
This is exactly why I haven't gone with any of these aftermarket kits and am really looking forward to the Bikemasters kit!

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrande View Post
Just found this today from Bikemasters! You'll need two kits for each headlamp. i want to do this!

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=15424
If you must go with a plug in HID kit (I won't rant about that even though I disapprove)...

Only do one. In the low beam side. Keep the Halogen high beam. If you put the HID in the high beam side, you won't have a high beam that comes on immediately when you want it. HID bulbs take a few seconds to warm up. Also, they don't like being restarted before the crystals have cooled, so if you keep turning your HID high beam on and off, you will reduce your HID bulb's lifespan.

Put the HID in the low beam and aim it down, then put a good halogen in the high beam. Also consider getting the low beam HID bulb capped to control some of the head-on glare.

Old March 28th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #27
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Thanks for all the great input on this. I love hearing all the suggestions and warnings.
This is definitely helping me make an informed decision on what i want to do.

Old March 29th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #28
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
If you must go with a plug in HID kit (I won't rant about that even though I disapprove)...

Only do one. In the low beam side. Keep the Halogen high beam. If you put the HID in the high beam side, you won't have a high beam that comes on immediately when you want it. HID bulbs take a few seconds to warm up. Also, they don't like being restarted before the crystals have cooled, so if you keep turning your HID high beam on and off, you will reduce your HID bulb's lifespan.

Put the HID in the low beam and aim it down, then put a good halogen in the high beam. Also consider getting the low beam HID bulb capped to control some of the head-on glare.
Chone, what are your thought's on the plug and play kits? And thanks for the tip on the low beam only. I never thought of that, but now that I am, in my car, the stock low beams are Xenons and the high beams are halogens that I put in the H7 Silverstars. That might be an option for our bikes too. The one HID and one halogen might look silly, I always run both lights during the day.

Old March 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #29
dfox
ninjette.org sage

The problem is, and I assume ch will say the same thing, that the bright spot that comes out of an HID bulb is in a completely different location from the stock halogen bulb. This means that it reflects differently off of the angled surfaces. Every headlight has to pass dot standards, and that includes not sending too much light above a "cutoff" line. When you change bulbs, you throw off the testing that kawi did, and can throw a lot more light into the eyes oncoming traffic. I'm sure you've seen those civics with obnoxiously bright and usually very blue headlights... They're typically plug and play hid systems. It's dangerous in a car, let alone on a bike when blinding oncoming traffic isn't the best idea.

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^Exactly that. The bulb doesn't have the same specs as a halogen, so the requirements for a reflector are very different. Mixing and matching gives off bad glare and subpar lighting compared to a properly installed HID setup.

The ideal solution is a bixenon projector.The worst is a kit in the high and low. That's why my suggestion of compromise is to just use the plug-n-play (4300k please. No squidly blue) kit in the low beam side and aim it down. It's not perfect, but at least you won't lose the benefits of having a halogen high beam.

But I still vote for a bixenon projector. I love mine.

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #31
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
But I still vote for a bixenon projector. I love mine.
Where did you get that?

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ebay has many things.

I combined a knock-off of a morimoto mini D2S projector with a DDM kit (only used the ballast and wiring) to make an inexpensive bixenon setup for my pregen.