ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #1
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

Name: jd

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

shaky

ive got an 08 250 with about 21000 miles on it here lately there has been lots of noise around chain and sprocket area and i feel slight vibrations when riding im not a mechainical person at all, any suggestions
miniguns167 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #2
kkim

when was the last time you clean, lubed and adjusted the chain?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

lubed last week but have never cleaned chain and this chain has about 4000 miles on it what amount of tension am i suppossed to have on chain

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #4
kkim

the correct amount is listed in your owner's manual. how to do it has been recently explained very well by member "banzai"... do a search and read what he had to say on this subject.

welcome to the site.

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Click here for the thread on chain tension tools and other good info

Might want to remove the rear tire and check the sprocket hub, cush drive, and bearing as well. Since the sprocket drive has a non-sealed bearing, it needs to be inspected and periodically re greased, especially if chain tension is kept on the tight side of the spec.

Just wondering, why was the chain replaced 4K miles ago? With proper tension and service a drive chain will last almost the lifetime of the bike. Also, unless they're in pristine condition, front and rear sprockets should be changed when a chain is changed to make a matched set and ensure that any wear on any old item does not induce early failure into the new items.

Old June 14th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

thanks for all the info ill give it all a try, i had to replace the chain and sprokets at around 17000 miles i ride in alot of rain and was ignorant with the upkeep on the chain so it was pretty messed up so i just had it all replaced, it was my only transportation and going to work sometimes 100 miles one way didnt leave me anytime for upkeep

Old June 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #7
kkim

jd, motorcycle chain maintenance is pretty routine and cleaning and lubing should be done every 400 miles and checking adjustment every 600.

how many miles do you ave on the bike now and have you had the valves checked/adjusted? when's the last time you did an oil change?

good to see the little ninjette being put to good use.

maintenance schedule is here...

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10577

Old June 14th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #8
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

it has alittle over 21,000 miles on it and i ride it hard, never had valves checked but do change the oil about every 4000 miles

Old June 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #9
kkim

you should consider having the valves at least checked as you should be coming up on the 3rd valve inspection/adjustment soon.

valve clearance inspections should be every 7.5K miles. loose valves can be bad for gas mileage/power, tight valves are very bad for the engine.

Old June 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #10
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

ill be sure to get on that, all the shops around my area stay slam full and want to hold bikes for atleast a month or two, it drives me crazy thanks for the info that is most likely why my mpg has gotten so bad

Old June 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #11
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

JD, if you don't want to take it to a shop and are really confident in your abilities, Vex posted a DIY on this:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9924

Old June 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #12
kkim

noche... take a look at his original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniguns167 View Post
ive got an 08 250 with about 21000 miles on it here lately there has been lots of noise around chain and sprocket area and i feel slight vibrations when riding im not a mechainical person at all, any suggestions
Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
JD, if you don't want to take it to a shop and are really confident in your abilities, Vex posted a DIY on this:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9924

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #13
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I had noticed that, but figured he might be able to find a friend or something that could help as an alternative to leaving it for a long time

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

good amount of miles for sure. how are other things holding up, clutch, wheel bearings, suspension?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #15
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

well i removed rear tire and checked bearings, they are fine, i cleaned and lubed and adjusted the chain to proper tension, i gave it a good look over and found a nut off on one of the bolts that looks to be holding on the swing arm, the bolt was so loose that i was able to push it out with my finger, i got a new nut and fixed that(wow guess what, that stopped all the shaking) and bike is running great now. about valve adjustments, thats way to complex for me. thanks to all for the info, just knowing that there is a site out there that will help peps who need to get info is a relief.

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #16
kkim

can you get a pic of which bolt was loose?

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #17
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

my bad it looks to be holding the exhast muffler on, but the bolt runs diretly behind the oil sight glass and is about 5 inches long

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #18
kkim

which one?

Old June 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #19
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

its about an inch below the sight glass for oil level and toward the inside of the frame , from the pic u posted that would be the nut side on my bike