Old August 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #41
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
i filtered a few times and i just feel weird when everyone stares at me.
you don't like people looking at you?

Quote:
i had someone try to hit me with their door while i filtered to take a right hand turn while everyone else waited for a green to go straight,
and you reported their attempted assault with a deadly weapon (that's what opening your on someone is called) to the police and provided them with details including driver description, license plate number and vehicle description along with the time and date of the incident. right?

Old August 5th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #42
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

If you are holding up traffic, speed up or gtfo of the way... very simple.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #43
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you don't like people looking at you?

and you reported their attempted assault with a deadly weapon (that's what opening your on someone is called) to the police and provided them with details including driver description, license plate number and vehicle description along with the time and date of the incident. right?
its more of the judging that i dont like. its not legal here, and by doing it i feel im making more drivers pissed at bikes, hence, this situation.

i wanted to just get away from the guys as quick as i could. i ended up running a red light(no turn on red) to do so as i was only 2 cars away from them at the light, and the driver got out of the car yelling. now i ride with a camera at all times. Boston drivers aren't ones to mess with, lots of ragers.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #44
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if i was in your situation(s) i would have come to the opposite conclusions on reactions.

Old August 5th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #45
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
i follow the LAW. i dont filter at traffic lights, EVER.
Quote:
i filtered a few times and i just feel weird when everyone stares at me.
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #46
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
I think you missed my point, I was basically calling you a panzy, if you know theres no cop and the roadway is clear, and youre going to speed as soon as you pass and break the law anyways, then just pass over the yellows and "dust him" properly and dont ruin the bikers day by being an asshole when hees just cruisin, him filtering is much less illegal unsafe than you speeding so dont complain and obey the law and follow him down the road or create a gap before you go at it. Or pass when safe sounds like it wouldnt be very illegal or reckless.

At the end of the day you and the biker are already breaking the law so if you want to the freedom of being in front, take it. (Safely)
I shouldn't be chuckling at this but I strongly concur. Greenmachine it sounds like you're headed towards a decently long street riding career. Not because you are condoning illegal behavior, its because you're thinking about the situation is using uncommon common sense if you will.

People complain all day long about being in the fast lane on the freeway and the slow guy in front of them. I don't feel sorry for them at all. Go around. Making a big deal out of a situation that you can completely control yet choose not to.

I respect that you don't want to break the law or whatever. But it's hard to have sympathy for you torturing yourself keeping your conscience clean.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #47
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:

and you don't go in search of twisty roads on your bike? You've never exceeded the speed limit while doing so, I'm sure.
Nope.com...I get my fix doing trackdays and racing. I have no desire whatsoever to treat the public road like my personal racetrack.

Thank you for the compliments Alex.S
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #48
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if i was in your situation(s) i would have come to the opposite conclusions on reactions.
I'm non-confrontational. i used to choose to fight, now i flee.

Old August 5th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #49
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm non-confrontational. i used to choose to fight, now i flee.
Says the man who just threw a hissy fit at a cruiser for filtering.

Old August 5th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #50
espacef1fan
ninjette.org member

Name: ADAM

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R

To the OP:
Cool story, bro.

I would have just thought to myself...yup stereo typical cruiser rider and went about my day. I would have also been disappointed about not being able to play ont he curves but it is a PUBLIC road so there will be unpredictable and irritating things about it. Get over or give yourself a stroke. I just let it go as much as possible.

He was a douche for riding slow. You were douche for being aggressive and honking and possibly making him fear for his life..... I would be nervous if some douche started comnig up behind me fast and honking...

Well hopefully everyone learned their lesson and we can all get back to riding.

Old August 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #51
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
lol... I noticed that too
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #52
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
lol... I noticed that too
have to do it a few times to understand why you don't want to do it again

Old August 5th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #53
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Don't worry about it, bro. We're just bustin your chops

Old August 5th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #54
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't worry about it, bro. We're just bustin your chops
exactly.

My 2 cents: People behave unpredictably when they get annoyed on-the-road. So, best to avoid any and all confrontation - you should have just passed him.

As you can tell I've been watching way too many russian road rage vids
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #55
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #56
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #57
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

I know that DFox came in for a little bit of criticism in this thread - good natured and constructive - but criticism nonetheless.

At the risk of getting some of that medicine myself, I have to say that when in the car I too find it annoying when mopeds/scooters filter past me (where it's legal) and then proceed to tootle along below the speed limit. I've never had it happen to me with somebody on a motorcycle (they usually disappear into the distance while I'm still releasing the clutch), but it often happens with somebody on a scooter.

I'm an old git, so find it pretty easy to simply sigh, stretch in my seat, and shake my head at them. I typically don't toot the horn or anything. But if I'm being totally honest it really irritates me. I empathise.

Having said that, I had a jerk ride 3" from my rear wheel just last night while exiting a junction from the M25 (a major highway) at 70mph and coming down to a tight roundabout. I was more than a little PO'd with that jerk, and have to admit that I let that be known, quite clearly, as we sat together at a light about 2 miles further down the road.

:-/
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #58
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokosun View Post
I too find it annoying when mopeds/scooters filter past me (where it's legal) and then proceed to tootle along below the speed limit.
This is understandable. If I pass someone that is going a particular speed, I feel obligated to be going at least go 1 mph faster than they were traveling before I passed them. For me, this feeling goes for cars, motorcycles, bikes or even when I'm hiking. If I walk past someone I just naturally make sure I keep moving at the greater speed.

I also, however, have to let this go if someone else doesn't have the same courtesy. Which is why I agree with those saying that just letting roll off your back is ultimately the best (read, safest) policy.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #59
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
This is understandable. If I pass someone that is going a particular speed, I feel obligated to be going at least go 1 mph faster than they were traveling before I passed them. For me, this feeling goes for cars, motorcycles, bikes or even when I'm hiking. If I walk past someone I just naturally make sure I keep moving at the greater speed.

I also, however, have to let this go if someone else doesn't have the same courtesy. Which is why I agree with those saying that just letting roll off your back is ultimately the best (read, safest) policy.
That is very considerate of you.

I usually move to the side if I slow down or even pull over so that the vehicle behind me can pass me by and then continue at my own pace.

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #60
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokosun View Post
I know that DFox came in for a little bit of criticism in this thread - good natured and constructive - but criticism nonetheless.

At the risk of getting some of that medicine myself, I have to say that when in the car I too find it annoying when mopeds/scooters filter past me (where it's legal) and then proceed to tootle along below the speed limit. I've never had it happen to me with somebody on a motorcycle (they usually disappear into the distance while I'm still releasing the clutch), but it often happens with somebody on a scooter.

I'm an old git, so find it pretty easy to simply sigh, stretch in my seat, and shake my head at them. I typically don't toot the horn or anything. But if I'm being totally honest it really irritates me. I empathise.

Having said that, I had a jerk ride 3" from my rear wheel just last night while exiting a junction from the M25 (a major highway) at 70mph and coming down to a tight roundabout. I was more than a little PO'd with that jerk, and have to admit that I let that be known, quite clearly, as we sat together at a light about 2 miles further down the road.

:-/
nailed it.

I realized my reaction was out of line after it all happened, I really just wanted to see how others might have reacted. I guess I'm just an impatient masshole, that type of behavior is the norm around here in Boston.

I'm glad at least someone can empathize. I know it's a motorcycle forum, and everyone supports riders... I do too, but I feel if the situation were reversed everyone would be up in arms about the guy passing me illegally. I ride and drive, and try not to do anything on either of the vehicles that I would be upset about if I were on the other. I don't lane-split, but I also don't cut off lane-splitters. I just want them to go faster than me if they do.

Same thing happens on highways all the time. I'm very good at maintaining a speed. I watch my speedo like a hawk. WAY too often, I have cars pass me, just to get in front of me and slow down because they just needed to be in the front of the line. Needless to say, they also get a nice toot from my 118dB horns as I pass them. I guess I just need to work on this poor reaction.

I hate tailgating. That is one thing I refuse to do. Can't see the road in front of you, can't react to anything quick enough, and it doesn't get you anywhere any faster.

Old August 6th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #61
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

@Alex Please close this thread while there is peace in the house!
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #62
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #63
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I would have asked him to pull over so we could talk about how his riding made my feel. Like really feel, inside, where he made me sad.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old August 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #64
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post

@Alex Please close this thread while there is peace in the house!
Peace? Not on my watch. OP is a dbag. There, now you can close the thread.

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #65
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #66
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

He filtered past you at the front of the light? So he was right next to you?

****ing take off and get ahead of him if that's the case. If I can do it on my stock pregen to every person who has pointlessly revved their obnoxious pipes at a light, you can on your own ~*sweet sportsbike*~
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #67
This Girl Rides
Girly Gearhead <3

Name: Brittany

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

*face palm*

All I see is you saying over and over; "the bad motorcyclist illegal passed me when I had plans of going speeds over the legal limit and drive like a jerk"

I am a cager and a biker as well, but I also know how to respect those around me even when they may not have been the most respectful. How would you have felt riding his ass and beeping the horn if he had layed his bike down? I mean come on is it really worth it? I am SUPER respectful of bikers because they have nothing protecting them beyond gear, if anything I create a ridiculous cushion between me and a bike because of the possibility of things. How do you know a dog wouldn't run out? A deer?

& before you go stating your same "you missed the point" speel, no we all see the point. That you were just as much (if not more IMO) wrong as he was, you (to me) sound like an incompetent teen trying to have a whose dick is bigger session.

". . .No, it's not his. Care to demonstrate your ignorance again?"
This Girl Rides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #68
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
Im sorry youre going to "tear up" that road in your modded wrx but you won't pass over a double yellow? Youre already speeding and driving wreckless and you stated theres no possibility of a cop... if youre gonna tear up a road do it right and just rip past him, itd probably only take 50 yds if he was going as slow as you said
Thats what I would have done... If somebody wants to play.. Iam ready, lets play! Bitch slap them right back
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #69
dfox
ninjette.org sage

save your breath brittany. it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Thats what I would have done... If somebody wants to play.. Iam ready, lets play! Bitch slap them right back
My intent all along was to pass, but not over a DY. the road is very wide at the beginning, more than enough room for 2 cars, let alone a bike and a car. I tooted my horn more out of politeness to let him know that I was there before I came ripping around him. the brake check while I was still 2 car lengths back was what put the whole situation over the top. Aggressive driving out of a motorcyclist? come on.

Old August 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #70
This Girl Rides
Girly Gearhead <3

Name: Brittany

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

I can still state my opinion, FOX.

". . .No, it's not his. Care to demonstrate your ignorance again?"
This Girl Rides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #71
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Girl Rides View Post
I can still state my opinion, FOX.
Sure can.

I've admitted it was a juvenile move on my part though. I could have handled the interaction with the motorcyclist in a much more mature manner than I did, and I'll try to hold myself to a more mature standard in the future.

My driving habits will not change though. I don't feel as though my driving on the road is reckless or dangerous (can be proven by the suvs that rip past me occasionally, I'm quite certain my car will outperform any suv). Pretty much guaranteed that everyone in here exceeds the posted speed limits from time to time. The assumption that I was driving reckless is false, but can't be proven by anyone unless you were there, so its just that, a prejudicial assumption. I accelerate to the speed limit fast, then taper off to where I want to be. I've learned my lesson about ripping around at excessive speeds on the street years ago.

Old August 8th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #72
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't feel as though my driving on the road is reckless or dangerous. Pretty much guaranteed that everyone in here exceeds the posted speed limits from time to time.
You're probably right. I'm sure we have all exceeded the speed limit from time to time. But face it. In the eyes of the law, speeding is reckless. Why not just admit that you wanted to drive recklessly for a little bit and be done with it? Like you just said, we've all done it so it's not like we're going to judge you for it. I just don't get what's with all the denial.

Old August 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #73
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
You're probably right. I'm sure we have all exceeded the speed limit from time to time. But face it. In the eyes of the law, speeding is reckless. Why not just admit that you wanted to drive recklessly for a little bit and be done with it? Like you just said, we've all done it so it's not like we're going to judge you for it. I just don't get what's with all the denial.
Because that term you use, "reckless", has a legal definition, and simply speeding does not qualify for most places in this country, and where it does, its usually for excessive speed, not a minor speeding offense.

Old August 9th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #74
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:

My intent all along was to pass, but not over a DY..
DY is just paint..... Not like its a curve you cant see around. But, I really hate stupid people on the road. Around here there in the fast lane going 10 under the limit......

I understand there just going from A to B without any thought on how to drive, or respect for others on the road. So I enjoy giving no respect right back.. F'em
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote