ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #41
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Haven't bolted anything on just yet, although I have the rearsets, frame sliders in-hand and just ordered woodcraft clip-ons. After my recent accident, I really would like to see better front brakes on my bike... not really sure how to go about it though.

Would this require an overhaul of the entire disc-caliper combination?
No you don't need to go that far haha. Something as simple as changing to better brake pads and stainless steel lines will go a long way. Highly recommended whether or not you're going to the track. There's even a group buy for SS lines going on right now
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #42
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
After my recent accident, I really would like to see better front brakes on my bike... not really sure how to go about it though.
Just put on better pads for $35 and make sure the line is bled well if lever feel isn't great.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #43
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
No you don't need to go that far haha. Something as simple as changing to better brake pads and stainless steel lines will go a long way. Highly recommended whether or not you're going to the track. There's even a group buy for SS lines going on right now
Ah, that's awesome. Where's is this group buy thread you speak of?

I want to wait until the repair estimate comes in before chucking more money, but definitely would consider upgrading the front brake line + pads if it makes a big difference....
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #44
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Ah, that's awesome. Where's is this group buy thread you speak of?

I want to wait until the repair estimate comes in before chucking more money, but definitely would consider upgrading the front brake line + pads if it makes a big difference....
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ight=group+buy

Nothing fancy but good price and gets the job done.

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #45
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Yup, looks like a decent price... I threw my hat in for the brake lines. Brake-pads would be the next item, but I really should stop splurging now... Its almost as if I feel guilty about crashing the bike and trying to make it up to her by buying goodies

Old August 27th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #46
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Can I get an AMEN from the brothers and the sisters?
How about instead.

Quote:
Doing my PhD in computer science at Berkeley right now. At least trying to while managing an addiction problem with riding a motorcycle

Guess I'm going cold turkey until my foot heals and the bike's fixed.
One day, I will go back to school for my PhD or.... maybe I won't. Good luck with yours.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #47
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Do you guys know how the insurance claim would play out if I decide to submit one given that this was a solo accident?

I talked to the dealership and they were basically saying that they can do the repair estimate for free (the insurance company should cover it) and the insurance adjuster would then figure out whether the bike is totaled or worth fixing.

I'm not entirely sure which way to go though... if the adjuster totals the bike, for whatever reason, how much should I expect to get from the insurance company would it be the cost of bike after damage?

The bike is 4 months old, so I would expect/want it to retain most of its value but hopefully this'll be just a fairing replacement and quick blinker relay fixes rather than a totaled bike...

Old August 27th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #48
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Do you guys know how the insurance claim would play out if I decide to submit one given that this was a solo accident?

I talked to the dealership and they were basically saying that they can do the repair estimate for free (the insurance company should cover it) and the insurance adjuster would then figure out whether the bike is totaled or worth fixing.

I'm not entirely sure which way to go though... if the adjuster totals the bike, for whatever reason, how much should I expect to get from the insurance company would it be the cost of bike after damage?

The bike is 4 months old, so I would expect/want it to retain most of its value but hopefully this'll be just a fairing replacement and quick blinker relay fixes rather than a totaled bike...
Except that fairings are a huge portion of the bike's value. If you go through insurance, it will count against you. You should consider whether it's worth the higher insurance rates to fix your bike.

Old August 27th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #49
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
I really would like to see better front brakes on my bike... not really sure how to go about it though.

Upgrade the interface between the seat and the handlebars and your brakes will get better.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 27th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #50
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Upgrade the interface between the seat and the handlebars and your brakes will get better.
How do you mean? I used both brakes without locking either of them up and ran out of road. Not entirely sure what else I could've done... other than the obvious: go the speed limit or lean more instead of target fixating.

Old August 27th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #51
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
How do you mean? I used both brakes without locking either of them up and ran out of road. Not entirely sure what else I could've done... other than the obvious: go the speed limit or lean more instead of target fixating.
It was slightly tongue in cheek. You are a brand new rider. The problem isn't with your brakes.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #52
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #53
anacron
ninjette.org guru

:shrug: live and learn.