Old August 14th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #41
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
omg.... i have thought over the years that i might turn my pregen to a track bike when ever i buy my next one. but this has scared me off lol.

im a cheap-ass and 800$ is more then i paid for my ar15 or my sniper rifle. ive seen decent pregens for round 800$ omg! i guess that every hobby is pricey once you commit to it.
Yeah... 800 will buy you a suit most times. Heck, I got the most affordable one I could thats still not a POS and it was like 600 after shipping and tax.

It adds up fast mang!! You can do track days for cheap, but the first one is the kicker because of what you're buying. I think this is what alex.s was mentioning. After you've done 4-5 without buying new sh!t every time, the average cost starts coming way down. But if you just do one, you'll want to look into borrowing gear and splitting the costs of logistics.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #42
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
so i got a couple questions:

1. I drive a 2012 mazda 2 which max tow weight is like 1100 punds, i found a hitch for it at etrailer.com. I looked at uhaul and it said that their trailer will work for my car. So idk what some good tie downs and what ever else i would need to secure my bike to the trailer. (a link to the good stuff would be awesome possum)

2. Im looking to go to summit point with TPM, according to their website i need to sign up for like a membership. There is "inside pass" which is 75$ and another 170$ for the track. The other is "inside pass - south" and has less tracks listed and is 40$ for the membership. Since im only going to one track, i would get the south right? But is this membership like a yearly thing even if i only go once? (doubtful but just wondering)
Some $20 ratchet straps from wal-mart will work just fine. I go for the 1000lb weight rating but have used the 500lbs ones before too. You get what you pay for with straps. js ya know....

Not sure about the fees, best to get with someone who as been there with the org your going with. But my gut is telling me the club membership is for the racers. Call em to find out for sure.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #43
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

guess i wouldnt mind one of them secksy pics draggin a knee

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #44
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
omg.... i have thought over the years that i might turn my pregen to a track bike when ever i buy my next one. but this has scared me off lol.
If your a smart shopper, are patient waiting for deals and maybe not opposed to used gear... You should be able to get full track ready gear for a few hundred bucks.

Used 1 piece suits commonly go on sale for $100-$200
Another ninjette user just posted he got NEW name brand race boots for $65 bucks
I got my gauntlets for $95 NEW, they can go for around $50 used
And you should already have a lid

For the new track rider, getting the gear required can be/is more expensive than the track event. Once you have it, it's yours and you don't have to buy it again. Rental is always an option too but meh. Even after you have all your 1-time expenses taken care of. (gear, tools, ezup, chairs, coolers, bla bla bla) Still don't change the fact that alot of tracks charge $50-$200 just to register for the event.

I am no princess but do like to have some basics to fully enjoy the day. Like a good nights sleep, brush teeth, ect.... So how do you Cali guys (anyone else) get away with going to the track for less than anywhere near $300 bones? What is the special secret?

I mean really? Here are my actual bare mim. expenses assuming I have everything ahead of time.
$165 MCRA track day registration fee @ Putnam Park (Mid-Ohio is even more expensive)
$50-$100 trip is 186 miles each way @ 16mpg I could ride share but still looking at some dollars here
$0 Food from home
$0 Sleep in car
$15 fill up bike

Solo Total = $280
Rideshare Total = $230

What am I doing wrong?

Old August 14th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #45
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I do cornerwork or buy credits so my trackdays are usually $0 to $100. The last track day that took place this past weekend was 70 dollars. Basically an open track day.

Only thing I have to worry about getting is gas for the truck and bike and ice for the cooler.

At most, I'm usually looking at $150 if my truck was almost empty on gas.

Old August 14th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #46
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I do cornerwork or buy credits so my trackdays are usually $0 to $100.
I have inquired about those 2 options, not available to me on tracks that are remotely close to me. Mid-Ohio offers volume discounts on days (buy 4 or more) but that is hard for poor folk like me.

Old August 14th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #47
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I have inquired about those 2 options, not available to me on tracks that are remotely close to me. Mid-Ohio offers volume discounts on days (buy 4 or more) but that is hard for poor folk like me.
How many track orgs do you have running out in your neck of the woods?

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #48
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

adouglas, I want to say I recall you living somewhere in the Northeast? So, if I remember correctly then I agree with CC Cowboy. There are several track organizations that run New Hampshire motor Speedway. You can look at Penguin Road racing school, tony's track days, fishtail riding school and boston moto.
I have had personal experience with Penguin and Tony's Track days. Simply put, you can't go wrong with either one but if you have specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Some things to consider:
Penguin rents EVERYTHING! Right down to the bike (Ducati only).If you don't want to fork over the cash for gear just to try out a track day, I would recommend going with them. The what and how much for what you need to rent is right on their web site. Otherwise, if rental gear is necessary, then I think seacoast motorsports in Derry, NH has rentals. Might be about an hour south of Loudon.

Using the garages is free for their track days as well as overnight camping (or at least it was last year). So you won't need an e-z up.
NHMS serves breakfast and Penguin has a thing on their website where you can signup for lunch. Outlets are available in the garages.
There is grass areas for tents.
If you have an SUV like me though, I fold down all of the seats and put an air mattress back there.
Typically, I don't bring lunch but snack on energy/power bars throughout the day. No need for a grill, and all the stuff that goes with it.

A track day from any one of those organizations will run you between $225 and $250. All of the other details have been mentioned.

Still though, all the cost that is associated with it - It's worth it.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #49
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
How many track orgs do you have running out in your neck of the woods?
At least 4-6 different orgs within 8 hours drive.

Old August 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #50
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

My husband won a 'free track day' and we attended this weekend to Summit Point in West Virginia. We have never done track before and had no one to ask about what to do or expect. It was definitely an eye opener for us.

Since the track was over an hour away and check-in was at 7 am, we spent the night in town and arrived the night before. The room & dinner cost almost $400. We don't have a trailer so he rode his bike (zx14) and I drove my car. When we arrived at the track, there were campers, RVs and trailers everywhere. We did not feel like we fit in. The nice part was anyone we spoke to were very friendly and helpful. I believe a regular track session is about $300. We had to pay the $25 registration fee when we got there. Now, prior to going to WV, he had his bike serviced and new tires put on (which he needed anyway) and that cost almost $700. Prior to track day he also picked up a leather 2-piece suit. I believe that cost him about $400-500 dollars (you can rent one there for $75 with a $300 deposit.)

So yeah, our 'free track day' cost us almost $2k. We didn't stay for all the sessions. He only did 2 sessions. He decided it wasn't his thing and at least he experienced it but has no desire to do it again.

Old August 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #51
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
My first trackday cost me around 15k and counting.

It doesn't stop after one
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #52
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Here's my track list. It ain't cheap.

Race Gear
Key(s) for bikes
Race suit
Race boots
Helmet
Race gloves
Back Protector
Extra faceshield
Under Armor
- shirt/pants/cap
- cold/heat gear? Pit Box
Tie downs, bungees
Folding Chairs
First aid kit, aspirin
Gas cans
Rear stand
Duct tape
Painters Tape
Quart of engine oil
Funnel
Tire gauge
Flashlight
New tires

Tools
Wrenches
Ratchets
Sockets
Allen wrenches
Screwdrivers
Wire cutters
Pliers
Tire pressure gauge
Scissors
Hammer
Zip Ties
Camping Gear
Pillows
blankets
Towel
toiletries
Bicycle (for pit bike)

Food and drink
Cooler
Coffee/filters/coffee pot
Ice
Bottled water
Gatorade
MyoPlex
Beer/wine (openers)
Bananas
Trail Mix
PB/Pretzels
Zone Bars/Snickers
Paper plates
Plastic ware
Paper towels

Misc.
Money
Wallet
Cell Phone
Cell Charger
Headphones
Ear plugs

Since I tow my bike with a Honda Accord, I always bum others' shade, but you also need:
an EZ-up canopy
fans
and of course a trailer to tow the bike

I may be forgetting some things here and there, but a track weekend at Barber can easily run $350 including the $250 for the track itself, gate fees, food, gear, electricity at the track, camping fees @the track or hotel etc. Cheaper tracks may be $100 less.

Haha!

I do the same--check off items off my list every time I'm head to the track. A good thing to do especially when you get up there in age and have a hard time remembering what you just remembered to do. LOL!

Sadness.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #53
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm old enough that I remember I have a list, but always forget where it is, so I have to recreate a new one each time.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #54
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'm old enough that I remember I have a list, but always forget where it is, so I have to recreate a new one each time.
Hahahahaha! Hint: Save it on your computer!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #55
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Hahahahaha! Hint: Save it on your computer!
...whipersnappers.

Old August 14th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #56
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Haha!

I do the same--check off items off my list every time I'm head to the track. A good thing to do especially when you get up there in age and have a hard time remembering what you just remembered to do. LOL!

Sadness.
I forget the question.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #57
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...whipersnappers.
Get off my lawn!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #58
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I forget the question.
What are we talking about again?

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #59
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Remember that time

Old August 14th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #60
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nny View Post
adouglas, I want to say I recall you living somewhere in the Northeast? So, if I remember correctly then I agree with CC Cowboy. There are several track organizations that run New Hampshire motor Speedway. You can look at Penguin Road racing school, tony's track days, fishtail riding school and boston moto.
I have had personal experience with Penguin and Tony's Track days. Simply put, you can't go wrong with either one but if you have specific questions I would be happy to answer.

Some things to consider:
Penguin rents EVERYTHING! Right down to the bike (Ducati only).If you don't want to fork over the cash for gear just to try out a track day, I would recommend going with them. The what and how much for what you need to rent is right on their web site. Otherwise, if rental gear is necessary, then I think seacoast motorsports in Derry, NH has rentals. Might be about an hour south of Loudon.

Using the garages is free for their track days as well as overnight camping (or at least it was last year). So you won't need an e-z up.
NHMS serves breakfast and Penguin has a thing on their website where you can signup for lunch. Outlets are available in the garages.
There is grass areas for tents.
If you have an SUV like me though, I fold down all of the seats and put an air mattress back there.
Typically, I don't bring lunch but snack on energy/power bars throughout the day. No need for a grill, and all the stuff that goes with it.

A track day from any one of those organizations will run you between $225 and $250. All of the other details have been mentioned.

Still though, all the cost that is associated with it - It's worth it.
NNY nailed it
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #61
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
A note on insurance, make sure you stress that while it is on a race track, you are *not* racing. No timing, no prizes, nothing.

I repeatedly made sure my agent understood I was using this as a continuing education and quoted her the statement off the org website...

"A trackday offers riders of all abilities the rare opportunity to focus on skill development and technique away from the many risks found on public roads and highways. The track is an environment with fewer hazards and distractions, a great place to work on improving your riding technique."
What insurance company do you use if you don't mind me asking?
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #62
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
What insurance company do you use if you don't mind me asking?
State Farm.

Old September 12th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #63
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I also use State Farm. Teri, did you sign the medical coverage wavier? Thing is, a lot of riders are so worried about bike coverage at the track, they totally forget about the medical aspect of insurance. While we never hope to have to use such coverage, to double up in that area can never hurt as long as it's affordable and you understand how it can apply and be used.

Before I started riding track, I had signed the wavier to lower the cost of my insurance. I have since re-elected to have the extra coverage, now that I know how it can apply when and if I need it.

Teri is also spot on about the "instructional" aspect. To add my support in this area. When I spoke with State Farm about track riding, they were ready to say "Good luck, hope you win but we can't cover you". Instead is said, "You do realize this is an educational and training experience right"? Like Teri, I had to explain the School part of the Mid-Ohio School to them. After that discussion, we were looking for applicable policy discounts, NOT non coverage.

YMMV, as insurance laws differ from state to state, so do your homework first. Also, throw all this out the window if your are in a sanctioned race event.

How does it apply to this thread? It's an expense I wouldn't have had otherwise of riding track. Sure it would come in handy on the street too but it's the choice I made. ps. Since re-electing to take the extra coverage, I am covered for street and track days.

Old September 12th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #64
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Also, State Farm can suck a big egg in KY, they do not offer a discount for taking the MSF. Sigh...

Old September 12th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #65
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
I also use State Farm. Teri, did you sign the medical coverage wavier? Thing is, a lot of riders are so worried about bike coverage at the track, they totally forget about the medical aspect of insurance. While we never hope to have to use such coverage, to double up in that area can never hurt as long as it's affordable and you understand how it can apply and be used.
I think I passed on it thinking to rely entirely on my work coverage. Maybe I should think about adding it.

Quote:
How does it apply to this thread? It's an expense I wouldn't have had otherwise of riding track. Sure it would come in handy on the street too but it's the choice I made. ps. Since re-electing to take the extra coverage, I am covered for street and track days.
Luckily after my learning experience at the track I was already in search of btter coverage. I found Progressive would also cover track days (got a statement recorded onto my account and the employee ID of the person who said yes) but when looking to consolidate all my plans, State Farm offered a better discount for multi-policy. So street coverage went up to what I could afford and I ensured I was covered for the track.

Quote:
Also, State Farm can suck a big egg in KY, they do not offer a discount for taking the MSF. Sigh...
Same here, found that out the day I finished the BRC.

Old September 12th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #66
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I follow the following ideas:

1)We have awesome health insurance. I'm covered for a doctor visit, no matter what I do. I just have to tell the insurance people that yes, this dummy was responsible for his own injuries and I don't wish to sue someone for causing me injury. I was the one piloting the bike, I'm the one that got injured, therefore I'm the one responsible. duh

2)The bike is a possession. It wasn't that expensive in the first place and I can always part out/replace it. Besides, I carry Liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, neither of those are going to come into play at the track unless I take another rider out, which isn't likely.

Aka, my butt's covered and if I hit the pavement and I'm more worried about said butt than I am about the bike. Said butt is the important part anyway.

EDIT: MSF was free for me because I was a minor, and I get a sweet discount on my insurance. After I got that and some safe rider discounts for 3 clean seasons, I was able to up my coverage for liability and U/U coverage with my savings. Thanks to Jiggles' thread on insurance, I decided upping my existing coverage was a good idea.

ANOTHER EDIT: I guess a track day could potentially REALLY cost me my bike if I wreck badly. But if that happens, I'll just take some time off from riding, replace the parts with fun stuff, and turn it into a beater bike. I can live for a while without a motorcycle if needed. I'd be more concerned about injury/recovery than the state of my bike anyway.

Old September 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #67
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

I dont know who you have for insurance andrew but i know with progressive they will not cover if i go down at the track. Ive talked to my insurance agent in detail about it. Progressives policy states

3. to any vehicle resulting from, or sustained during practice or preparation for:
a. any pre-arranged or organized:
(i)
racing;
(ii)
stunting;
(iii)
speed or demolition contest or activity; or
b. any riding activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack, racecourse, or during any closed course event..

So even though it is not a race, it is a riding activity on a track. And its with an organization ( i will prob go through tonys track days since ive always heard great things about them)
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #68
Panda
not an actual panda

Jay beat me to it. I literally just looked at my policy and found the text he pasted above.

Teri did you get an additional insurance rider to cover you? I'm curious what your policy says under Exclusions.

Old September 12th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #69
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Jay beat me to it. I literally just looked at my policy and found the text he pasted above.

Teri did you get an additional insurance rider to cover you? I'm curious what your policy says under Exclusions.
I remember hearing the bit about any activity on a track which is why I had my progressive agent call someone for clarification. We sat down together as that person told me yes, track days were covered. But since I'm not with progressive anymore I can't recall the details. This is definitely a case of YMMV with these stupid companies.

I *think* the key was a safety oriented educational course that just happened to use a track as its practice area or something along those lines.

I didn't get anything additional through State Farm. I'll have to look at the paperwork for the exact wording but I stated everything up front that I learned from Progressive's rules and had the agent call to verify coverage. I even said "This is what I do and where I do it, give me a plan that covers it." I'll probably go in tonight to check once again (I do this before every trackday) that I will be covered should I wreck. I'll probably look into adding medical as well.

Old September 12th, 2013, 07:11 AM   #70
Panda
not an actual panda

Cool. I suppose the upshot of the uncertainty of knowing if I can get insurance is that I started looking for a track bike for next season.

Old September 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #71
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
I dont know who you have for insurance andrew but i know with progressive they will not cover if i go down at the track. Ive talked to my insurance agent in detail about it. Progressives policy states

3. to any vehicle resulting from, or sustained during practice or preparation for:
(i)
racing;
(ii)
stunting;
(iii)
b. any riding activity conducted on a permanent or temporary racetrack, racecourse, or during any closed course event..

So even though it is not a race, it is a riding activity on a track. And its with an organization ( i will prob go through tonys track days since ive always heard great things about them)
Tony's runs a great program for sure. I'm sure others up in NE do also but I only have experience with them.

Check out the NESR forum there a couple track days sponsors on that site and also Penguin school.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #72
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Quote:

(i)
racing;
(ii)
stunting;
(iii)

I haven't checked into our insurance to find out (I just assumed the worst) and am actually bummed to see that Progressive is so on top of the ball with the "permanent race track" lingo.

To contribute to the cost section on a rough $$$ basis, for my husband and I both to track the day we run roughly a $600/day budget. Our first day was decidedly more expensive as we bought an EZ-Up and overdid it on the food/supplies. Our lunches are provided so we have to account for breakfast and snacks while stopping for dinner on the way home if we want.

Old September 12th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #73
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Tony's runs a great program for sure. I'm sure others up in NE do also but I only have experience with them.

Check out the NESR forum there a couple track days sponsors on that site and also Penguin school.
Im on NESR just not very active. I want to buy the gear before commiting to anything (suit, gloves, etc). I dont want to rent that stuff.

Old September 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #74
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
I also use State Farm. Teri, did you sign the medical coverage wavier?
Just spoke with my agent at State Farm to check am make sure there were no policy changes. She said as long as I'm not racing I'm covered.

Also checked on the medical side, she said while I have it on my auto, they cannot offer it for the motorcycle. So, nope, don't have that coverage.

Old September 13th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #75
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:

(i)
racing;
(ii)
stunting;
(iii)

Wow, that last line in there kinda sucks. It does make me wonder what they would say if you were to drop your bike during something like an MSF course though. They are all on closed courses if not on a dedicated tarmack. With that language it seems like all they cover is going down on the street. Me thinks I need to call progressive myself.

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #76
Bigballsofpaint

MSF classes here provide you with a bike. Advanced classes not much. Parking lot activites i think you may be able to get away with just saying you dropped it in a parking lot.

I did tell my agent though, hypothetically couldnt i just dump my bike on the side of the road and say i went down there. She obviously did not advise me to do that, but they wouldnt have a way of knowing. Thats on you ethically i suppose

Old September 14th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #77
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

You don't have to be rich

Trackday fee = $160

Transportation: I have a small pickup, a cheap ramp and straps. Track outlay = $0

Lodging: I have camping gear, tent, etc. Track outlay = $0

Bike prep: Water Wetter = $10, roll of blue masking tape = $8

Safety Gear: Joe Rocket Full leather zip-together = $150 (Craigslist)
(I already owned alpinestars SMX-5 boots ~$225)

Cooler full of gatorade/water (you will need this): $15-20

Food: come on, you needed to eat anyways!

Gas to/from track (estimate) = $70

I used my stock tires. They lasted another 3k miles after 2 trackdays, about 7k miles total. You do not need special tires for your first trackday.

So this is about $400 bucks, and of course most of this you'll reuse because you'll be addicted.

The leather pants that go with my suit are awesome, well worth the $150 I paid for the suit.

DO IT!
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote