ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old November 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #1
asaulo1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Alfred

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE, Kawi Green

What RPMs should I be in taking on the twisties?

Just took my Ninja 300 to the twisties today with my bro in law in his zx-6r. This is my first time taking my new bike to this road although I've driven this road in pace with my car numerous times. I was going at a steady pace hovering around 5-7k rpm in 3rd or 4th gear depending on the turn. I mentioned this to him at a stop and he recommended I take it up a couple of Ks in RPM. Not sure if this is due to the bike being a high revving variant but would it be better at that rpm? Thanks for your opinions....
here's a snippet of our riding today....
http://youtu.be/m2EDSw4S9kQ
asaulo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
well it's really just more rpm more power, I find that the engine doesn't really wake up below 8k rpm on the 300. you can ride at lower rpm or higher if you prefer really it depends on the road in question and how you wish to ride. typically I'll ride around 8-12.5k rpm on a twisty back road though I ride by feel without my eyes on the tach/dash so I may drop below it entering some turns typically I'm trying to get my roll on to start inside the power band so I can get some feel that I'm shifting weight to the rear tire while cornering.

but as I said, it's really personal preference what rpm you ride at with lower rpm = more gas conservative and higher rpm = more acceleration. I wouldn't go below 5k rpm though since then the engine starts to lug a bit which is just severely uncomfortable if you're trying to get a consistent throttle roll on.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Ride however you think feels good and is comfortable for you. I personally feel more comfortable with my 250 revving at 8k+ RPM. Any lower and I feel like there's no power or the engine will start bogging too easily. I also prefer to rev higher so I still have power when slowing down without having to downshift because I'm lazy lol.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hmmm.... Why would he say this? Are you happy? Is the bike happy? If yes and yes, then don't fix something that isn't broken. Why do you think I would say that?

I watched the vid and couldn't tell that much as far as sound goes. Soooo much wind noise. What camera you got? Might want to search for ways to cut down some of the wind noise and you (and others) will be happier watching your vids.

Nice riding by the way.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
Just took my Ninja 300 to the twisties today with my bro in law in his zx-6r............
You surely will get mad at me for giving you an advice that you didn't ask for, but ........... here it goes:

The twisties are not a place to be riding for a person that is still trying to get comfortable on his first street bike.

There are much safer ways to learn the basics and get familiar an in total control of your new bike.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #6
asaulo1
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hmmm.... Why would he say this? Are you happy? Is the bike happy? If yes and yes, then don't fix something that isn't broken. Why do you think I would say that?

I watched the vid and couldn't tell that much as far as sound goes. Soooo much wind noise. What camera you got? Might want to search for ways to cut down some of the wind noise and you (and others) will be happier watching your vids.

Nice riding by the way.
thanks... gopro hero2... was using the case with the cutouts.... maybe i should use the fully sealed one.... thanks.

Old November 29th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #7
asaulo1
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You surely will get mad at me for giving you an advice that you didn't ask for, but ........... here it goes:

The twisties are not a place to be riding for a person that is still trying to get comfortable on his first street bike.

There are much safer ways to learn the basics and get familiar an in total control of your new bike.
no problem here... have been doing slow speed maneuvers and emergency braking in a big Lowes parking lot almost daily... figured that riding with my more experienced bro in law at the twisties, he would be able to critique my riding style. in fact, he had 2 gopros (1 on his helmet, the other on the suction cup on his gas tank) and watching his videos when he was behind me gave me really good feedback on the lines that I chose during the ride. Also, I was probably going no more than 45-50mph at most....

Old November 29th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #8
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Question.....was the entire road you were on pretty much like we saw in the video? I ask because the video isn't really a "twisty" road. Now I'm not sure if there's a specific definition for what constitutes "twisties", but I generally associate hairpin curves with them. But I digress...

I like to keep my 250 between 8-11 k, regardless of the situation. Except when I'm returning home, I keep it around 3-4k so my pipes don't make my neighbors hate me

Oh and to me, your lines seem pretty decent....but then again I'm horrible with my lines

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
asaulo1
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Question.....was the entire road you were on pretty much like we saw in the video? I ask because the video isn't really a "twisty" road. Now I'm not sure if there's a specific definition for what constitutes "twisties", but I generally associate hairpin curves with them. But I digress...

I like to keep my 250 between 8-11 k, regardless of the situation. Except when I'm returning home, I keep it around 3-4k so my pipes don't make my neighbors hate me

Oh and to me, your lines seem pretty decent....but then again I'm horrible with my lines
That was just a small section of the road which was comprised of high(er) speed sweepers... There was about a 2 mile stretch where I had to go down to 2nd gear to manage the hairpins and such.... Maybe I will bump up the revs about 1-2k and see how that feels... thanks for the advice....

Old November 29th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Seemed to me that you were doing pretty good riding your own ride

I like to cruise around in the 6-8K rpm range - on any gear other than first And of course, adjust as necessary for all the things encountered.
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Ride your ride... That's the best answer!

My bike is happier in turns after 6K... I am happier everywhere after 8K!

Ride at your level and in your comfort zone... Only then polliwog will you receive the force

Old November 30th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

RPM speed / gear selection/ MPH are going to be dependent on your skill level, confidence and varying road conditions. For a beginner I recommend doing the speed limit and riding at a rpm speed in which you have the best control over the bike.

Twisty road riding
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #13
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

If you slowly roll on the throttle and the bike does not accelerate cleanly.

1. Twist the throttle and at the last 3/4 throttle position it accelerates - Drop down a gear.
2. Twist the throttle and after 1/4 throttle position it accelerates - Raise RPM.

OR

1. If you can go faster - Raise the RPM in that gear.
2. You can keep the same speed - Drop down a gear.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2013, 05:40 AM   #14
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
If you slowly roll on the throttle and the bike does not accelerate cleanly.

1. Twist the throttle and at the last 3/4 throttle position it accelerates - Drop down a gear.
2. Twist the throttle and after 1/4 throttle position it accelerates - Raise RPM.

OR

1. If you can go faster - Raise the RPM in that gear.
2. You can keep the same speed - Drop down a gear.

Don't get in the habit of shifting mid-corner until you know what you're doing on another level. Complete all of your shifting prior to entering the corner. Enter slow at an RPM that feels like you'll have plenty of pull through the corner (I like at least 7k or more) and upshift as you're exiting the turn if you are getting near redline.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM   #15
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Don't get in the habit of shifting mid-corner until you know what you're doing on another level. Complete all of your shifting prior to entering the corner. Enter slow at an RPM that feels like you'll have plenty of pull through the corner (I like at least 7k or more) and upshift as you're exiting the turn if you are getting near redline.
Are you asking me if i shift up or down in the corner's???

No i don't.

You can shift up or down while transitioning from one corner to another.

You always setup for the cornering entry and exit, braking, accelerating etc.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"what rpms should i..."

all of them.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #17
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
"what rpms should i..."

all of them.
F you Alex for taking the words out of my mouth
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:47 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
suck a ducccck, nucka