Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 5th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Should I ask my boss for a transfer?

Here's dealio:

I am a recent accounting grad and want to pursue my CA (Chartered Accountant) designation. I'm currently working as a junior accountant in hedge fund accounting firm. This role doesn't qualify me for my CA. Not sure about the US, but CA student positions are stupid competitive in Canada. I've been applying and cold calling and I'm in need of some new ideas. I've tried reaching out to people but they all give me the same "keep trying" instead of actually offering worthwhile help or some contacts.

I absolutely HATE where I am and want out NOW. Our company's president is a CA and also is a partner in a CA firm. I would love to work there so I could get my designation and actually do something I love.

Question is: should I bring it up? And to my manager or the president?
I don't want them to think I don't like where I am. If they know I'm interested in working elsewhere, it may not reflect too positively on my part especially if my request is declined.

Has anyone ever encountered this type of situation? Or perhaps advice for a young accountant?

I'd love some guidance here
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a 24 year old kid that graduated a year ago and has been working with the same company ever since. There are much more experienced professionals on the forum, so what they have to say is likely more valuable. This is just my personal thought on the topic...

IMO it doesn't look good if someone is unable to stay committed to a position for longer than a few months.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I'm a 24 year old kid that graduated a year ago and has been working with the same company ever since. There are much more experienced professionals on the forum, so what they have to say is likely more valuable. This is just my personal thought on the topic...

IMO it doesn't look good if someone is unable to stay committed to a position for longer than a few months.
I'm in the exact same situation as you: 24 and 1.5 years of experience. But this job is dead end. And if you stay in fund accounting long enough, that's all you'll considered for down the road. I feel I capable of more and should not be working 10 hour days (hello year-end) for entry level pay. I don't gain any skills while the company's market value keeps going up.

Old December 5th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Star View Post
Here's dealio:

I am a recent accounting grad and want to pursue my CA (Chartered Accountant) designation. I'm currently working as a junior accountant in hedge fund accounting firm. This role doesn't qualify me for my CA. Not sure about the US, but CA student positions are stupid competitive in Canada. I've been applying and cold calling and I'm in need of some new ideas. I've tried reaching out to people but they all give me the same "keep trying" instead of actually offering worthwhile help or some contacts.

I absolutely HATE where I am and want out NOW. Our company's president is a CA and also is a partner in a CA firm. I would love to work there so I could get my designation and actually do something I love.

Question is: should I bring it up? And to my manager or the president?
I don't want them to think I don't like where I am. If they know I'm interested in working elsewhere, it may not reflect too positively on my part especially if my request is declined.

Has anyone ever encountered this type of situation? Or perhaps advice for a young accountant?

I'd love some guidance here
Keep trying!

Hope that helps.

Old December 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
I'm in the exact same situation as you: 24 and 1.5 years of experience. But this job is dead end. And if you stay in fund accounting long enough, that's all you'll considered for down the road. I feel I capable of more and should not be working 10 hour days (hello year-end) for entry level pay. I don't gain any skills while the company's market value keeps going up.
While I agree there is a large importance to commitment to ones job, if you stop learning, it's time to move on. I think you already know this, but I am just providing my two cents to add to your two cents

That said, I honestly do not know what to say about the how should you approach it. I do think it is worthwhile to talk to your manager about your looking to pursue your Chartered Accountant designation, maybe even throw in you'd like to do so to further your career within the organization/company.

I have kind of a naive understanding of the white collar workplace, even after working in one for the past year, but if your manager is a 'good' manager, he may know how to get you in touch with your presidents CA firm.

Needless to say, good luck! I may be making a similarly driven move myself soon.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Hmm well if you truly believe the experience you're gaining has absolutely no value towards achieving the goals you set for yourself, then maybe it is time to move on. But remember, it's about who you know. Don't rely on other people to give you their contacts, expand YOUR network.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

i graduated in finance and have a job in IT, the cio who is a alum of my hs and college tells me that if your not moving up, either in pay, skill or title then your not going anywhere. i feel this is a bit bold and aggressive but rings true.

same, 23, almost a year at this firm, planning on moving up or out.
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

How well do you know your boss, how well do you know the big boss?

1)If you know your boss well, & they're a good guy who will look out for you - say it to them

2)You think your boss looks out for #1, but have a good rapport with the head honcho, and think he will go along with your idea then it may be acceptable go over your boss's head. (If that goes wrong then you may have really ****ed up)

3)You don't 100% trust either - look elsewhere DISCRETELY.

If you're looking elsewhere & they ask why you want to leave your current position, tell them that you want to get your CA qualification & you want to do so before you get pigeon-holed in your current role.

I work as a diagnostic genetics lab tech, I've been pigeon holed & have been running multi-million pound robotics platforms for the best part of 3 years in 3 different organisations. pigeon hoing happened within a year, by the end of a fixed 6month term I was 90% there.

Decide & make your move sooner rather than later
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
How well do you know your boss, how well do you know the big boss?

1)If you know your boss well, & they're a good guy who will look out for you - say it to them

2)You think your boss looks out for #1, but have a good rapport with the head honcho, and think he will go along with your idea then it may be acceptable go over your boss's head. (If that goes wrong then you may have really ****ed up)

3)You don't 100% trust either - look elsewhere DISCRETELY.

If you're looking elsewhere & they ask why you want to leave your current position, tell them that you want to get your CA qualification & you want to do so before you get pigeon-holed in your current role.

I work as a diagnostic genetics lab tech, I've been pigeon holed & have been running multi-million pound robotics platforms for the best part of 3 years in 3 different organisations. pigeon hoing happened within a year, by the end of a fixed 6month term I was 90% there.

Decide & make your move sooner rather than later

Thanks for everyone's responses and that's my fear exactly -- getting pigeon-holed. I am living at home atm and help out with expenses so I can get away with working part time and studying for my GMAT to pursue an MBA.

Actually had an interview at a CA firm (they said they'd let me know by the end of the week so I'm waiting for that call) so I can hand in my resignation.

I have about 24 hours to decide if I will resign anyway to pursue further education.

BAH.

Appreciate everyone's advice

Old December 12th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #10
notsofast
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Lightbulb

You should listen to the freakonomics podcast about the upside of quitting. It really woke me up to what Im doing to myself by staying where I am. Becoming professionally stagnant is not something you want to do.

Remember: The familiar is easy to accept and rely on, you have to push yourself if you want to change your situation.
notsofast is offline   Reply With Quote