ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old January 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Racingredhead
ninjette.org member

Name: MB

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6 race bike

California Superbike School, Vegas

Headed to Vegas Feb 15/16 to do Level 4 with CSS. I had heard mixed reviews on the school not to mention the price! But also found I learned way more there than at a lot of other schools. Anyone else been to it?
Racingredhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I think Misti has been to a few but, hey, if they were going to pay me I'd go to a few also.

Old January 26th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Racingredhead
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I think Misti has been to a few but, hey, if they were going to pay me I'd go to a few also.
Yeah she teaches there. Or at least did. I met her last summer at one a CSS school at the Ridge.
Racingredhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racingredhead View Post
Yeah she teaches there. Or at least did. I met her last summer at one a CSS school at the Ridge.
I've been coaching with the school for over 10 years now I can answer any questions you might have! Is there anything you want clarified? Questions about the track? The format of the school? Fire away!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Racingredhead
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
I've been coaching with the school for over 10 years now I can answer any questions you might have! Is there anything you want clarified? Questions about the track? The format of the school? Fire away!
Hey Misti!! How are you? Are you going to be instructing again this year? Yeah I did levels 2&3 at Vegas in Nov and doing 4 at Vegas again next month. Lots of fun :-)

One question for you ... what can you tell me about the CODE Race program?

Old January 27th, 2014, 11:17 AM   #6
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post

How much do you get paid and why can't I teach (or do you actually have to be good at it)?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #7
AuroraMinx
ninjette.org member

Name: Aurora

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Hi Misti!
Do you work on drills at the CSC? Or is it more like other schools where you follow the leader around the track?
AuroraMinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #8
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Is it a stretch to put track novices on Beemer liter bikes? Especially for someone that's been riding on a Ninjette with its monstrous 30ish hp?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #9
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

You'll be fine. The first level of CSS you most likely won't even get over 80mph. Most of the drills involve you plopping it in 3rd and focusing on lines and throttle roll ons in the corners.

Ducati Dave used to help out to get cheap/free track time. Many of the riders just came out of the msf. It's all in the wrist man. Have you been on a BARF group ride before? Plenty of incredibly slow and talentless riders on bikes that can get to 180mph pretty damn fast.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Is it a stretch to put track novices on Beemer liter bikes? Especially for someone that's been riding on a Ninjette with its monstrous 30ish hp?
Not really, bmw's have different power modes with all kinds of electronic goodies and most likely it will be in the rain or sport mode. Will you still need to take care? You betcha, will it be a terrible problem that ends your day there? Most likely not.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #11
Racingredhead
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Not really, bmw's have different power modes with all kinds of electronic goodies and most likely it will be in the rain or sport mode. Will you still need to take care? You betcha, will it be a terrible problem that ends your day there? Most likely not.
Yeah for the first level they leave it in rain mode most of the day. I didn't care. It was fast enough! And yes for level one they do a bunch of slow drills but for the most part let you go as fast as you want as long as you don't put anyone at risk ie do safe passes.

Old January 29th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #12
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Good feedback guys. I've definitely considered it, it's just sooooo damn expensive

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racingredhead View Post
Hey Misti!! How are you? Are you going to be instructing again this year? Yeah I did levels 2&3 at Vegas in Nov and doing 4 at Vegas again next month. Lots of fun :-)

One question for you ... what can you tell me about the CODE Race program?
Hi I should be coaching at the Ridge this year and maybe one or two other schools if I can swing time away from my little ones! I won't be at Vegas though

The race program is super fun! It is definitely geared towards those that are already racing or that want to race and is usually full of pretty fast guys. It is less structured compared to the CSS regular schools in that there aren't 20minute seminars followed by a session of track riding where you work on that one thing but more like and open riding session where your coach follows you and picks out one or two specific things that you need to work on. There are shorter seminars on things like racing lines and then we do lots of race related drills like radar lines, where we use a radar to test your exit speed on different lines, braking and downshifting exercises, starts and of course a mock race. There aren't any close passing rules. It's a lot of riding!

I got to take the race school one year as a student and wow, it was pretty awesome It helps to have a solid foundation in the CSS techniques that are taught in the regular classes though you don't have to have attended CSS in order to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
How much do you get paid and why can't I teach (or do you actually have to be good at it)?
We get paid alright for the schools though when you factor in the hours we put in it's definitely not about the money but more about the fact that we get paid to ride and it is a wicked awesome job!! It takes a hell of a lot of training and hard work to be accepted into the school as a coach and even after 10 years with the school I'm still handing in training homework and writing training tests. Whether you take the school in Australia, Greece, USA or Britain, the coaching will be the same and everyone has had to learn the exact same material and pass the same tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraMinx View Post
Hi Misti!
Do you work on drills at the CSC? Or is it more like other schools where you follow the leader around the track?
Both. At the school you will attend a seminar where you will be taught a specific skill like throttle control or quick turning or something, from there you will head to the track for a riding session where you will practice that specific technique while your on track coach follows you and leads you on track and then debriefs you at the end of the session. The student to coach ration is 3:1 at the single day schools and 2:1 for the two day camps. You continue with this format throughout the day and do 5 seminars and 5 riding sessions in single school days and 5 seminars and 7 riding sessions on two day camp days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
No. Actually the school has seen a drop in crashes since they started using the BMW's and everyone raves about the bikes. They are super user friendly and are always started in rain mode which is very confidence inspiring and safe.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.