ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 22nd, 2014, 11:39 PM   #1
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Icon Variant Helmet

Absolutely sick! Anyone currently riding with one of these? Thinking about selling my current helmet that I haven't used yet and getting one before riding season. I was skeptical of the price tag at first but it's just too sick to pass up the mx look for a street helmet.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:03 AM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I don't really understand the need for a DS styled helmet on a sport bike that'll likely never see dirt but to each his own. It's a good helmet just not my style for a street bike, especially with the extra weight and potential for wind drag. If you get one I'd expect it to hold up reasonably in a crash and that's what matters most in a helmet.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I don't really understand the need for a DS styled helmet on a sport bike that'll likely never see dirt but to each his own. It's a good helmet just not my style for a street bike, especially with the extra weight and potential for wind drag. If you get one I'd expect it to hold up reasonably in a crash and that's what matters most in a helmet.
It's supposed to do really good at venting wind and have better visibility than traditional motorcycle helmets. If I order one I'll post pics and do a review once I get riding.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:21 AM   #4
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
My opinion of Icon helmets is that while they're not bad helmets, you can get a higher end helmet at those prices. Graphics cost a lot. If that's the look you want and it fits you perfectly though, then go for it.

Old February 28th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Brian
ninjette.org sage

I found a helmet made by Fly called the Trekker. Pretty much exactly like the Variant but it's $125 as apposed to $370-500...

Last futzed with by Brian; February 28th, 2014 at 01:36 PM.

Old February 28th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #6
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I have one, same model as the one in the photo but the older, discontinued non hi-viz version so it's more silver and black and doesn't look nearly as awesome. Got it for $195 on clearance though.. I absolutely love it. It's definitely a really nice helmet, the visor is really nice in the afternoon and doesn't catch any more air then a regular helmet, except a little when you're headchecking at 70+. It also weighs a lot less than any other helmet I've ever had, but that's not saying much. Either way it's pretty light. Breathes good in the summer and doesn't do any worse in the winter than a full face.

It's more of a fashion statement than a dual sport helmet. I believe the trekker, and nicer alternatives can fit goggles with the faceshield up. Is it worth over $400 for one? PRobably not, I've never worn or used a $400-$500 helmet though. I'd say around $300-350 is where this helmet should be in terms of price, I really think it is a nice helmet. But the extra cost comes from the fashion factor, and probably the designs too. The paint is really high quality on mine.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
I have one, same model as the one in the photo but the older, discontinued non hi-viz version so it's more silver and black and doesn't look nearly as awesome. Got it for $195 on clearance though.. I absolutely love it. It's definitely a really nice helmet, the visor is really nice in the afternoon and doesn't catch any more air then a regular helmet, except a little when you're headchecking at 70+. It also weighs a lot less than any other helmet I've ever had, but that's not saying much. Either way it's pretty light. Breathes good in the summer and doesn't do any worse in the winter than a full face.

It's more of a fashion statement than a dual sport helmet. I believe the trekker, and nicer alternatives can fit goggles with the faceshield up. Is it worth over $400 for one? PRobably not, I've never worn or used a $400-$500 helmet though. I'd say around $300-350 is where this helmet should be in terms of price, I really think it is a nice helmet. But the extra cost comes from the fashion factor, and probably the designs too. The paint is really high quality on mine.
Thanks for the reply KawiKid . I'm thinking about just the Black Rubatone helmet. It's insane how much the graphic / composite ones are priced in comparison when I personally think the flat black looks best. I'm definitely going to get it. Looks so sick.

Old February 28th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #8
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks for the reply KawiKid . I'm thinking about just the Black Rubatone helmet. It's insane how much the graphic / composite ones are priced in comparison when I personally think the flat black looks best. I'm definitely going to get it. Looks so sick.
Good choice! I only got mine because it was half price haha, otherwise probably would've gone with a solid color. It's definitely a head turner and gets a lot of questions. I find it to fit perfectly and be really comfy too, done hundreds of miles on it in a day multiple times with no issues.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #9
TS250
ninjette.org member

Name: MARCO

Motorcycle(s): 2008 NINJA 250, BLACK, 650 NINJA 2009, RED, F 650GS BMW 2012 YELLOW

I do have this helmet, it is very light and very well made. I don't think that it will do very well at high speeds but I use it when I ride my Bmw. For the street bikes I use a Shoei 1100 and a Hjc. Still very nice helmet. A little overpriced.
TS250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #10
Brian
ninjette.org sage

I'm thinking about picking up a shield for the variant too. I don't know if I should go with the dark smoke or the gold mirrored or even the silver. They're pretty expensive.

Old March 1st, 2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

There's a lot to be said for internal shape, too. The Variant is supposedly one of those "Goldilocks" helmets that fit pretty much anyone very comfortably.
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
There's a lot to be said for internal shape, too. The Variant is supposedly one of those "Goldilocks" helmets that fit pretty much anyone very comfortably.
That's good to hear, also if I ever wanted to use it on a dirt bike or even a mountain bike this thing would be perfect. Pro's of a dual-sport.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:58 PM   #13
TS250
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 NINJA 250, BLACK, 650 NINJA 2009, RED, F 650GS BMW 2012 YELLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I'm thinking about picking up a shield for the variant too. I don't know if I should go with the dark smoke or the gold mirrored or even the silver. They're pretty expensive.
they come with a light smoke shield included.

Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:17 PM   #14
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS250 View Post
they come with a light smoke shield included.
Are you sure? It doesn't say anywhere.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:48 PM   #15
TS250
ninjette.org member

Where are you looking for it? In the description of it @ motorcycle superstore it says it's included ( it also has a fabric bag, and a small helmet cleaner and a wipe cloth)

Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:45 PM   #16
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Where are you looking for it? In the description of it @ motorcycle superstore it says it's included ( it also has a fabric bag, and a small helmet cleaner and a wipe cloth)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch Here?

Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:16 PM   #17
TS250
ninjette.org member

It seems that the Variant construct, battlescar and the carbon ones have it. I have the Battlescar.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:18 PM   #18
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It seems that the Variant construct, battlescar and the carbon ones have it. I have the Battlescar.
Yeah looks like they come with those ones. I was just thinking about getting the flat black model, the graphic ones are pricey.

Old March 20th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #19
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
aww, icon has the best graphics though. It feels like a bit of a waste to get an icon and not get one of their graphics sets. That said I may get an icon helmet as a backup and matte black is a damn fine helmet color.

Old March 20th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #20
SeViC
ninjette.org member

Name: Sebastian

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

hi there.

my father has the fly trekker in high-viz yellow/green, I've never use it but he's very happy with it, and says its very comfortable. Also a plus is that the upper part can be removed (don't know how to call that part) but u need a "kit" I'm not sure it's included.

here's an example picture

SeViC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #21
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
that helmet looks fly

seriously though, love the way it's sculpted.

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeViC View Post
hi there.

my father has the fly trekker in high-viz yellow/green, I've never use it but he's very happy with it, and says its very comfortable. Also a plus is that the upper part can be removed (don't know how to call that part) but u need a "kit" I'm not sure it's included.

here's an example picture

I'm hunting all over and can't find where to buy this eliminator kit...

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I've been looking into an icon airmada as my next helmet, damn those icon helmets fit me well. It may end up taking over the role of my main helmet that my scorpion has and my scorpion feels like my head is in a pillow

can't speak for the comfort of the variant but I'm assuming that they use the same materials and such in the interior padding.

why remove the top? isn't it an integral part of the helmet's styling that attracted you to it in the first place?

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #24
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
why remove the top? isn't it an integral part of the helmet's styling that attracted you to it in the first place?
Who me? No. That specific picture of it without the visor is what drew me to it. lol. And I did find the eliminator.

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #25
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Bob View Post
Who me? No. That specific picture of it without the visor is what drew me to it. lol. And I did find the eliminator.
ah ok then, have at it