ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:47 AM   #41
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDfromBC View Post
I wasn't aware of the smaller wheels on the pregen, the other things I don't factor in because on a used purchase if the deal is good enough I can upgrade the springs fairly cheap aswell, the forks not neccesarily a deal breaker for me, but to each their own!

I personally have a 300 now that I got a killer good deal on since my new gen was stolen a few months back :)

I wouldn't prefer a pregen by any means, but I would love it equally if I had it and got a good deal aswell like you said haha
Yeah, the wheel size is probably the biggest issue, as there are limited choices in 16" tires. 36 vs. 37mm forks isn't a big deal, other than a few aftermarket upgrades (like this and this).

I would suggest everyone respring the bike for their own weight, but the PreGen's forks are good for ~25lb while the NewGen's are good for ~95lb. If you're a smaller rider and/or not pushing it hard, the NewGen forks shouldn't be that bad, at least temporarily. On the PreGen, it's the same percentage of change (+36%) in spring rate going from stock to 120lb as it is going from 120lb to 250lb, to point out just how far off the stock springs are. The NewGen's rear is 18% stiffer too, but may actually be too stiff for a number of people.

I like the 300 best. Even newer styling (not a huge difference to me, but it means you can drop in the 636's projector headlights) plus EFI (which I greatly prefer), on top of the extra displacement and resulting power. Some leftover and low-mileage used 300s around here are getting pretty cheap now - in the same range as some 250s even. The local dealer has a leftover '14 ABS SE for $3900. Just like I'd pay a bit more for a NewGen than a PreGen, I'd pay a little more for a 300 over a NewGen too. $3900 is a lot more than the $2000 bike the OP linked, but there's a local CL ad for an '08 (looks really nice, but no mileage listed) for $3200 for some comparison.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:05 AM   #42
OldCoot
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): None yet

I'm Confused...

...what else is new?

Sounds like most agree that the 2007 and earlier bikes are not as good as the newer ones, right? But here's what's important to me, so help me figure this out...

I'm not an expert rider like it appears most of you guys and gals are... just an average old coot who wants to occasionally mess around all day (or half day) on a bike again. (I think I'd even have fun on a scooter at this point.)

I'd prefer to have whichever has the most upright seating position before and after mods. (...sounds more and more like I need a scooter, right?)

I'm more concerned about price and my family selling it when I'm gone than I am about looks and/or the front shock thickness.

I'd love a 300cc over 250cc (with FI) but I think those are lower priorities now...

...and I'm real sure I won't be spending days at the track (unless it's to watch my three sons or my grandsons).

Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:40 AM   #43
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Steve, it's not really about which is better. Either one will be equally fun for your intended usage. Get some input from your sons and see if any of them have a preference and/or will keep the bike into the future. Hopefully that will give you some insight.

Honestly, it's pretty hard to make a mistake here. If you buy it and don't like it, sell with very little to no loss and try something different. Either way you will be having fun and making memories with your sons.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #44
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
...what else is new?

Sounds like most agree that the 2007 and earlier bikes are not as good as the newer ones, right? But here's what's important to me, so help me figure this out...

I'm not an expert rider like it appears most of you guys and gals are... just an average old coot who wants to occasionally mess around all day (or half day) on a bike again. (I think I'd even have fun on a scooter at this point.)

I'd prefer to have whichever has the most upright seating position before and after mods. (...sounds more and more like I need a scooter, right?)

I'm more concerned about price and my family selling it when I'm gone than I am about looks and/or the front shock thickness.

I'd love a 300cc over 250cc (with FI) but I think those are lower priorities now...

...and I'm real sure I won't be spending days at the track (unless it's to watch my three sons or my grandsons).
Compare the two versions at http://cycle-ergo.com/. They're pretty close as far as rider position. With my measurements, the PreGen is a bit more upright, but your knees are bent more too. See if you can find some for sale that you can actually sit on.

I think the NewGen has some decent upgrades beyond the looks. However, they're not huge differences. Newer tire options don't come in 16" sizes, but everyone with a PreGen manages to survive on the options that are out there. I would call the NewGen's suspension "less bad" but I still think everyone should examine at least the spring rates of any bike they buy. If you need modern supersport styling or EFI, you've locked yourself into the 300 (or one of its competitors). But overall, any of the Ninjettes are going to be pretty similar, just because they have so much in common, despite a few differences around the edges.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #45
Nu2Street
ninjette.org member

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I am 54. 5'6 150 lbs. I took my 06 ninja 250 (carbureted) on a 650 mile trip earlier this summer and loved it. Two 8 hour riding days- 6 1/2 hours moving each day. My back never really got sore and wrists never hurt. That was my first ever long ride. Cruising speeds up to 80 mph and the bike got 70mpg at those sustained speeds!. I would love a 650 but can't afford even a used one, so I baby the 250 and am glad I have it. Best of luck on your health!!! Hang in there and keep us posted!!
Nu2Street is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 12th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #46
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
250 is plenty to get you into fun, with enough left over to get you into trouble

Old August 12th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #47
shift957
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): R6, SV 650, 300, 250, 250 xc-w

Lots of good info in this thread! I'm gonna be another +1 for the SV650n though. It sounds like it suits your needs best, Old Coot. While the 300's are fun and capable, you may need to work to keep them up with the other (bigger) bikes. I was lucky enough to ride the gf's sv at the track whenever, and I have to say that the fun factor of that bike is really high, and it's also really comfortable! Not only those, but it is an extremely capable bike.

Not that you are looking to do any riding like this, but it is an example of what an sv can do with good street tires (Q3's). Pace picks up at 6:00 and gets quicker at 8:00. I end up chasing the owner of the track org on his zx10.

Link to original page on YouTube.

shift957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #48
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
7 HP was enough to have fun at NYST

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 13th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #49
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
7 HP was enough to have fun at NYST

I wanna ride it!

Old August 13th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #50
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

You and me, both! I want to have my own NSR. This is the part where I get all starry-eyed and heart-fluttery. Haha.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 13th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #51
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I was looking up prices last night

Old August 13th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #52
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I was looking up prices last night
There's a new one for sale in North Carolina. Check cycle trader. I heard tires are hard to find in good condition.

Old August 13th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #53
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
There's a new one for sale in North Carolina. Check cycle trader. I heard tires are hard to find in good condition.
Looks like there are quite a few