ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #41
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Those are some damn sexy bikes.

Old March 20th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #42
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I believe the article says that alex.. wait... I think you know that dont you..?

Old March 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #43
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
BMW has refined their software since it was introduced. They've also changed things up a bit so that the new bike rides a little differently than the first generation. That is probably why they're getting replaced. But also, the guy owns a thriving business, and knows his stuff about riding. He's brought us people like @Misti, who is a fantastic source of knowledge and a pleasure to chat with. Frankly, if Mr Code wants to sell his bikes and get new ones, where do you get off judging him for it?
Well put and thank you for the nice comment I believe it's part of the agreement with BMW that the bikes get replaced every two years, a similar schedule was adopted back when the school had the Kawasaki's as well, but I don't know all the details....I'm just a coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
They'll let anyone of any level ride the S1000RR's for the princely sum of $675 they give the impression of being some elite training academy for the best "top gun style" which does give that impression, I even thought that myself, but you fork down the cash they'll take ya.
Not sure I understand what this means. CSS coaches varying levels of riders provided they already know how to operate a motorcycle and provided that they CHOOSE to ride one of our bikes. We do have the option of training riders on their own machines if they are more comfortable doing so. The so called "princely" sum isn't for a basic track day on an S1000 but is for a day of rider training intended to make the student a better, safer, more confident rider whether that rider is a daily commuter, weekend canyon carver, club or elite level racer.

I'm not sure where you get the "top gun style" idea or what that even means but we are a world renowned riding school that has been in business for over 30 something years. Each coach is extensively trained to be able to deliver Keith Codes carefully researched riding data in an exact manner that ensures student success.

And so you understand a little bit more about why Keith Code charges $400-675 per student per school think about some of the costs that he has to pay upfront.

Track rental, gas, bike maintenance, staff wages, food, water, staff accommodation, staff travel, etc etc..

I've been a coach with the school for 9 years now. I live in Canada and each time I coach at the school they pay for my flight, my car rental and travel, my room, my food and my wage and I'm one of about 15 staff that are usually at the track. It adds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
If you pay for the day at about $650 and give them a $1250 deposit you're sitting on the back of a S1000RR regardless, it's all on the website.

So for about $1900 anybody can get on a S1000RR and do this, it says as much on their site, and I am willing to bargain that the majority of people whom have $1900 to splash on a few days learning to ride a suoerbike are the sorts who are either fanatical about bikes and are very rich, or people whom have more money than sense and like the idea of being a race biker and have never rode before.

The UK version is a lot cheaper at £50 insurance for an R6
The $1200 deposit is just that, a DEPOSIT in case you wad the bike. If you lowside and only cause $100 worth of damage you are only charged 100 bucks. If you total the thing you walk away and they keep your $1200. Seems fair to me. Don't crash if you don't want to lose your deposit.

The majority of the people that take the school aren't paying $1900 to learn to ride a superbike, they are paying $675 to spend an awesome day riding motorcycles on a race track and improving their riding skills at the same time. Our students cover the entire financial range; broke club level racers (I was one of them before I became a coach), couples looking to improve their riding skills, fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, rich guys that show up in million dollar motor homes and not so rich guys that save up all year just to make it to one school. Regardless of how much money they have they all leave the school better and safer riders with massive grins on their faces.

If anyone has any specific questions about the school ask me, and if you haven't been personally then don't criticize.

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #44
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Well put Misti. I thought the 720 odd dollars they were charging here for 3 days tuition was too much as well, but after my first track day I knew it would have been totally worth it...

Old March 20th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #45
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I think she just won the thread
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 04:21 PM   #46
balistic
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): F800ST

A bunch has been said here but I think a couple of other facts need to be presented.

I am the Chief Mechanic at the school, have been for over 20 years. I was a line mechanic at 18, first job in a shop at 14. I have worked on everything from top fuel Hemi's to 16 cylinder Diesel generators in the Navy. Bike are my passion and it is where I have been for a very long time.

I ran and sold 8 fleets of Kawasaki's and this is my second fleet of BMW's. That is a lot of bikes. I have specific skills as a mechanic and a rider that enable me to be confident in the bikes we field, both on the track and as used bikes.

Points not normally taken into consideration are things like how long is a sport bike made to last? Does high RPM "hurt" these motors? How long will a bike with over 10,000 miles last?

In the days of cast iron bores and none synthetic oil bikes could wear out in under 100,000 miles. These Chrome bore engines and synthetic motor oils will go well past 200,000 miles without a problem. The fact is the current think is that a sport bike with over 10,000 miles is worn out is silly! I raced a 2004 636 for two years and nearly 4,000 miles and the crosshatch in the bores looked like new. I have an S1000RR's head off right now that has 30,000 miles of track use ( one I sold and was ridden at track days) and the bores still have all the cross hatch in them, meaning no wear.

As for all the forces a track bike takes the only bike I have been scared of are the 2007+ GSXR's because the frame will split at the welds! I just did a frame on one last month and saw another at the salvage yard two days ago.

With 3 years and over 1,000,000 combined miles I can say I have the most experience with these bikes and they are built tough as nails. BMW has long had the reputation for putting out bikes that go over 200,000 miles and I have seen nothing on these to change that impression.

Weather you would consider buying a "track bike" for your own will be based on personal considerations. Some think that if a bike fell over it's no good, if it's been crashed at XXXX speed it's over, If it has been subjected to high RPM it will not last. All of these are just personal considerations.

I have no issue standing behind the bikes we sell or field and any questions about the the S1000RR's we use can be directed to me, I am happy to talk to anyone about them.

Thanks, Will Eikenberry
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #47
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Will,

It's a pleasure to meet you! I think you just won the trophy for best first post ever. Can we keep you around for maintenance questions?

I tell you, between you and Misti, if I'm ever in CA for any length of time, you bet I'll be signing up for CSS.

-Chris
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM   #48
balistic
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): F800ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Will,

It's a pleasure to meet you! I think you just won the trophy for best first post ever. Can we keep you around for maintenance questions?

I tell you, between you and Misti, if I'm ever in CA for any length of time, you bet I'll be signing up for CSS.

-Chris
I am happy to help, if I don't know I know a guy who does.
balistic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 05:53 PM   #49
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

well said Misti and Will ...one of these days I will be attending the school
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 07:28 PM   #50
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Will!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 09:20 PM   #51
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Thank you will. Welcome to the forums

Old March 21st, 2013, 09:33 PM   #52
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Will!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 10:29 PM   #53
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Will!

Welcome
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:07 PM   #54
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by balistic View Post
I am happy to help, if I don't know I know a guy who does.
You're my new best friend!!! welcome aboard!!!