akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Ninja 250R Rider Rear Ends Hummer On Onramp

Location of incident: I-25 North ramp at 104th Ave. in Thornton, Colorado

Link to original page on YouTube.

The guy following her almost lost control of his bike in a panic. I thought his actions when he arrived at her were really good though. Told her not to move. Directed someone to take care of traffic and directed someone else to phone for help.

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old December 21st, 2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
............. I thought his actions when he arrived at her were really good though. Told her not to move. Directed someone to take care of traffic and directed someone else to phone for help.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115649

http://roadguardians.org/

http://www.slideshare.net/VSanfelipo...roduction-2010

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:17 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Ouch - that sucks.

Unexpected circumstances - nobody is expecting cars to stop as they merge into highway traffic - but it happens. I had a road construction worked throw out a barrel in front of me the other day (at night) as I was just about to merge from the ramp to the highway in moderate traffic. I changed lanes abruptly, without a solid check, or I would have hit him. They were closing the ramp, but started at the wrong end. You never know.

Looks like she locked the rear wheel just before impact - which didn't do much. From what I saw, she was following too close to be able to stop (given reaction time) - so the only option would have been avoidance (left lane or right shoulder). Changing lanes would have been risky, as there wasn't time to make a solid check first. The shoulder would be an option, but there's a possibility there was a stalled car there that was blocked from view (something was causing the issue). (EDIT: there wasn't much room on the right because the concrete barriers were forcing traffic to move over)

More separation, and hard braking with the front, is the only way impact could have been avoided (if you didn't change lanes). You are still at significant risk even if you stop in time - because you are stopped on the highway and most likely there's someone coming-up behind you.

Gotta be careful out there.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:33 PM   #4
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

She deserved every inch of that hummer. Don't ride that close to something you can not see around and also never ride down the middle.

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:42 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
She deserved every inch of that hummer. Don't ride that close to something you can not see around and also never ride down the middle.
I don't know that I'd go that far...

Chances are she was still accelerating and didn't realize the traffic wasn't, so that ate-up the separation she had.

Just a mistake, not like she was riding like a jerk or anything...

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:44 PM   #6
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I don't know that I'd go that far...

Chances are she was still accelerating and didn't realize the traffic wasn't, so that ate-up the separation she had.

Just a mistake, not like she was riding like a jerk or anything...
If she would have been to the far right of the hummer she would have went right past him. You make stupid riding decisions you deserve the consequences

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:47 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
If she would have been to the far right of the hummer she would have went right past him. You make stupid riding decisions you deserve the consequences
Well...hope you always make the most intelligent decisions then.

As I added to my original post, the right had concrete barriers that were forcing traffic to move over, and there may have been a stalled car there that was causing the problem - you couldn't tell - so that wasn't a clear "out".

Old December 21st, 2014, 06:56 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
the "wear your gear guys" comment he made in the video struck me as a bit odd

had she been wearing full gear she probably wouldn't have sustained an ankle injury (full boots) That said I make the same gear decisions myself, though I wish I were more consistently in full gear.

Old December 21st, 2014, 07:03 PM   #9
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Well...hope you always make the most intelligent decisions then.

As I added to my original post, the right had concrete barriers that were forcing traffic to move over, and there may have been a stalled car there that was causing the problem - you couldn't tell - so that wasn't a clear "out".
Nope I ride like a turd all the time and I have paid for it with like 12 crashes

Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:13 AM   #10
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
the "wear your gear guys" comment he made in the video struck me as a bit odd

had she been wearing full gear she probably wouldn't have sustained an ankle injury (full boots)
Absolutely! I cringe so bad when I see a rider go by with his/her vulnerable little ankles poked out from above crappy street shoes. The only thing that protrudes further from the bike are the handlebars and mirrors... and guess what... when you hit the ground those handlebars aren't going to be magically holding the entire weight of the bike off the ground... nope... your once lovely ankles are probably going to help share the weight.

... and...

GRAPHIC PICTURES OF A FOOT THAT REGRETS NOT WEARING PROTECTIVE BOOTS
(don't click that if you're squeamish)
(do click that if you're not sure whether all the faff of wearing boots is worth it)
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Nope I ride like a turd all the time and I have paid for it with like 12 crashes
I believe that we only have so many opportunities to crash before the fatal one, ...... or so I heard.

Slow down, smell the roses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Absolutely! I cringe so bad when I see a rider go by with his/her vulnerable little ankles poked out from above crappy street shoes..........
If you stop the video at the moment of impact you can see that her left ankle hit the hitch of that truck and that her upper body and head did not hit the rear of the truck because her hips were hold by the handlebars.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:32 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
She deserved every inch of that hummer.
Were it so easy....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote