ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Bikes and daily driving/riding

So my Mustang GT was sideswiped not too long ago. I have the money in hand to fix the minor paint scrape and mirror replacement (the lady's insurance paid up).

So while it is in the shop, I will only have my 250 for transportation.

It got me thinking, who would only have a motorcycle as their mode of transportation? I do live in a warm area, where riding year round is not unheard of. So I have been thinking about it myself. Just curious who else has thought about it or currently does it.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

my friend has a gixxer 750 as his only transportation. he goes to school and work and he also packs his wife to and from work. i guess they are used to it. when he gradutates in a few months, he plans on buying a car for his wife though.

years ago, i thought i was roughing it when i just had a miata as my only transportation.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Motorcycles are about 80% of my transportation in warmer weather, say April to November. I use my car maybe once a week to transport cargo, etc.

In the winter, I try to ride my motorcycle as much as possible, but I find the ratio is reversed, with only 20% of my miles put on my motorcycle.

If I really had to do with just a motorcycle, I could, and rely on buses or taxis occasionally, but an old beater car is cheap enough to keep on the road in addition to my moto.

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM   #4
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

At the moment, I do. I have a car available if I need to. I have drove my car twice since I started my job and that was almost 2 months ago. I t does get get kinda wet at times, twice I have gotten soaked riding home. Once riding in, it was raining but somehow I didn't really get wet. I have a backpack I carry my lunch and water bottles in, and I have had to stop at the grocery store to pick something up. So if you don't have to carry a lot of stuff for work, its not bad. For me, working 12 hr a day, it is the only chance I get to ride and riding in at 530 in the morning is almost as good a wake up as coffee.

When I end up moving to socal later this month, I will probably be shipping my bike and it will be my only transportation, except for riding with friends or rental cars.

nb

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:20 PM   #5
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

If it didn't snow like there was no tomorrow up here in the winter then I'd totally have the bike as my sole mode of transportation. Unless I need to take my brother somewhere (I'm still with my parents) then I take the bike, no matter what, between April and November. I definitely think it's possible. There are probably a few times when it wouldn't be practical, but those could be overcome easily. Like buying $200 worth of groceries only to forget you don't have a trunk....
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:36 AM   #6
Wade
ninjette.org member

Name: Wade

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Ninja 250

I do it myself and dont really have any problems except for carrying things but my backpack seems to do well for most things.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I use my bike as my daily driver except on days that it rains. Then the gas guzzling truck gets to thunder down the road.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

If I lived in a warm area I would 110% for sure ride all year round.

Where I live it snows in over half the months of the year.
I want to have a motorcycle as a daily rider so much so that...
I've actually been looking into the viability of using a motorcycle in snowy conditions.
Looking into a side car + studded knobby tires for my DR650.
Combined with some heated gear, I'd think it would be fine.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

it's my only vehicle too from March till December - or whenever there's no snow/salt on the roads. Some of you are lucky enough to do it year round, not sure why you wouldn't... Only times I borrow someone's car are when I'm drinking or picking up stuff that don't fit into a backpack (i.e. passengers )
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I wouldn't do it.

Commuting/daily driving on my bikes does nothing for me.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #11
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

When it's cold, I take the car. When it's raining, I take the car. When it's really windy, I take the car. If my family (or anyone else) is going with me, I take the car.

If it's just me, and conditions permit, I take the bike every time. I usually ride somewhere, somehow seven days a week. There's no way I could rely on just the bike though. I like the concept, but it just doesn't fit my world.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM   #12
imunro
Year-round rider

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony 250R

I ride my 250 most of the time, unless the weather is really bad. Then I rely on my old friend, public transit. I don't have a car, and while sometimes it would be handy to have one, I've learned to cope without.

My Albums
imunro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM   #13
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

250 all the time, every day. I mean I just can't help myself anyway...

I sold my last car to buy the 250 and I love the idea of transporting myself efficiently wherever I go. And the lack of a back seat or a trunk means less of a chance of me holding onto random crap I don't need.

And yes it rains here...oh well.
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #14
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkable View Post
250 all the time, every day. I mean I just can't help myself anyway...

I sold my last car to buy the 250 and I love the idea of transporting myself efficiently wherever I go. And the lack of a back seat or a trunk means less of a chance of me holding onto random crap I don't need.

And yes it rains here...oh well.
That is one plus to owning a bike. You know whatever you buy, you have to literally carry it home, so you think twice before buying.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #15
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I wouldn't do it.

Commuting/daily driving on my bikes does nothing for me.
true. It depends on how bad of a rush hour you guys face too. I live in the suburbs of Toronto, but if I had to face stop and go traffic all the time, I wouldn't ride either... then again I avoid rush hour at all costs in the cage too
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM   #16
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
true. It depends on how bad of a rush hour you guys face too. I live in the suburbs of Toronto, but if I had to face stop and go traffic all the time, I wouldn't ride either... then again I avoid rush hour at all costs in the cage too
By the time I leave work, rush hour is over, for the most part. I also leave for work about 20 minutes earlier than I did for years, because I found that traffic wasn't bad at all.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM   #17
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
No rush hour for me or traffic.

I just don't dig on commuting on the bike and daily riding.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:19 PM   #18
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

I do believe that sometimesido (Chris) uses his 250 as his only transportation ...
He'd be the one to get into this thread

I personallly ride every day I can, but since I have 2 small children (10 and 7) and my wife has NO license whatsoever,
I get stuck driving the cage VERY often
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM   #19
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
I do believe that sometimesido (Chris) uses his 250 as his only transportation ...
He'd be the one to get into this thread

I personallly ride every day I can, but since I have 2 small children (10 and 7) and my wife has NO license whatsoever,
I get stuck driving the cage VERY often
If it is nice out, I always take the bike to work. Better gas mileage being the main reason for my 30 mile one-way trip to work.

If it rains, I haven't been taking the bike. Mainly because I need a new back tire, but also because I have to deal with rain gear. I don't mind it on my days off, but to work it is a bit much. Plus I'd also have to carry a spare set of shoes.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM   #20
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Mine is only an 8 mile city commute so I'll take the 250 every time I can, even if it is a suit and tie day. Rain/Snow is the only reason I will take the cage now.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #21
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Something some folks don't realize about commuting: it's good practice. You ride the same roads (more or less) every day, so you get to see those same familiar stretches of road under different conditions. When riding a commute, you know the roads so well you can concentrate on those things that DO vary from day to day: it helps you get used to changes in weather, traffic load, etc.

If you never ride in poor weather, what are you going to do if you're out on a long day-trip or perhaps touring for a few days - and get stuck on the side of the road in heavy rain or strong winds? If you've already experienced crap weather while commuting, you are experienced with those conditions and know what to expect.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM   #22
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Something some folks don't realize about commuting: it's good practice. You ride the same roads (more or less) every day, so you get to see those same familiar stretches of road under different conditions. When riding a commute, you know the roads so well you can concentrate on those things that DO vary from day to day: it helps you get used to changes in weather, traffic load, etc.

If you never ride in poor weather, what are you going to do if you're out on a long day-trip or perhaps touring for a few days - and get stuck on the side of the road in heavy rain or strong winds? If you've already experienced crap weather while commuting, you are experienced with those conditions and know what to expect.
Oh i totally agree with this. More seat time is more seat time. If it didn't snow so freakin' much in the winter, i'd probably ride all year round! But then again, my car is a hell of a lot faster than the 250 on the highway
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM   #23
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I do, unless it is raining or something is being worked on. (Both are happening right now =))
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM   #24
Strider
Back on the Black!

My commute is 25 miles give a take a little, as I like to take different routes on occasion, just to change up. I've found 4 different ways to get to where I work that are take about the same amount of time ... I agree with capt_bugaloo and Flashmonkey it is good practice, and anytime on my bike is Good time
And I'm getting to the point where I don't care if it's raining or not ... a light rain is OK, but I still won't ride in a downpour...

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM   #25
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

I used to ride in any weather, heavy downpour or not, but as I've gotten older, I've found that I do NOT like being cold and wet. Now I tend to pay a lot more attention to the forecasts, and if it looks like it will rain, I wimp out and take the cage.

On the other hand, plenty of times I leave for work in decent weather and come home in the rain - but at least I am getting some practice in.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM   #26
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

It's been a long time since I've driven on four wheels regularly.

I work in LA during the week and stay with a friend. My daily work commute is 8 miles, round trip. Not too bad, for LA. On weekends I go back home to the family in Indio. That's a 300 mile round trip. I usually try to time it to avoid heavy traffic, that doesn't always work.

I do drive four wheels when I'm going to the store with friends or family, if they don't drive, that is.

As for weather, I live in So Cal!! Rain is almost never a factor. When it does rain, it's usually what most of you would call "showers", and I'm more careful about everyone else's panic factor than the rain itself. Wind is the issue that I deal with on a regular basis. It took me a long time to get comfortable with it, but, a few years ago I realized that I am now.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM   #27
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Hmm.. guess I'm a little different.

Not only do I still frequently drive my "cage", but I thoroughly enjoy driving it.

It is my other "baby" (next to the Ninjette ... and my girlfriend)

It's hard to be an all-season rider in Washington
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #28
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I by choice have ridden 384 days out of the last 388 days and put 14700+ miles on my bike. I have ridden in weather from 30 to 115 degrees rain and shine. It's PITA sometimes but I would rather deal with it than drive a car. The only time I drive now is to take my dog to the vet or if I need to get something that doesn't fit into my backpack.
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat
DirtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #29
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I bought my Ninja to commute, my criteria for riding are it is not raining when it’s time to leave the temperature is +2 or more centigrade and it has not frozen over night black ice does not take prisoners.

Steve

Old May 4th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #30
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I live in Utah where were we have cold winters and I still ride as long as there is no snow on the road, or heavy rain in the times during my communiting times. I have good warm gear, and that makes it easy. Plus my Gloves have the squigy on the finger so if it does rain on me I can still clean of my visor real easy.

I still have my cage, because I have my wife and daughter to think about, and if you have ever tried going grocery shopping, you'll need to make five trips just to get the basics. Keep a car for the bad weather and the necessities.

But you should put about three times the miles on your bike.
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #31
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I lived just outside of Boston for 4 years and only owned a bike. Never missed having a car at all. Even did all my shopping on the bike and found out you can fit some really large loads in a backpack with a little practice. There were very few days I couldn't commute to work using the bike, even in the middle of winter which can be nasty up here. As long as the roads were clear and no precipitation was in the forecast I'd doft my silk balaclava, long underwear and thick leather jacket and ride in single-didgit temperatures. If it rained I'd grab my TourMaster rainsuit. When the weather became completely unrideable, I'd jump on the subway, but it didn't happen often. It's all about having the right gear for the weather. Good extreme-weather gear is the difference in making a potentially nightmare commute enjoyable.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #32
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

i have a company truck that gets me back and forth to work so its hard to justify paying for gas and wear and tear. I have to split my time between my cage (which I also enjoy greatly) and my bike. And i refuse to drive my car or ride my bike in the winter. Its just not worth it. Salt and poor road conditions I will not subject my babies to. So from April through October its a 6r or WRX for pleasure, for work and November through March its my Silverado work truck.

To make matters worse I also have a '95 Legacy wagon DD beater and am getting close to getting my zn700 project bike back on the road. And my wife drives a '08 Civic, so I don't have to worry about her.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #33
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:

I fully agree. My ride to work, I know where everything is at. I know where water builds up when it rains. I even know this one spot to avoid because a cement truck dumped a little cement in the road. Hit that with the bike and it is like the drill with the 2x4 at the MSF course, except doing 60mph. I don't even have to think about it anymore, I "just know" where to be and where not to be.

On a side note: I have found that riding the rain isn't bad at all. I actually feel more comfortable on a bike when it rains than in a car. At least puddles don't jerk my steering left and right while I'm going down a highway at 60mph. Also, you don't have to be "cold and wet" at all. It all comes down to gear. I have a Rock River (I think that is the brand) leather jacket. It was 61* this morning and normally I would have been quite chilled on my way to work. Enough to want to duck behind the fairing to get some wind protection. My new Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket is so much better. I just kept the liner on it, and that was it. I was a little cool, but nothing uncomfortable, making my ride so much better. I have a set of Tour Master rain gear that I get a lot of use out of. Heavy rain, light rain, it doesn't matter, the thing just doesn't leak. I love it. I ride no matter the weather (unless there is supposed to be strong winds, tornado warnings, or chance of hail). For the most part, I'd ride every day if I could.

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #34
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
It was 61* this morning and normally I would have been quite chilled on my way to work.
61 F is cold? I think that when most of us who aren't that far south are talking about not riding in cold weather, we mean a lot colder - like 31 or 41.

Today when I rode to work it was 48 F, and I found that to be be downright balmy compared for the weather recently... Supposed to have showers this afternoon, so I have rain pants in my tailbag in case I need them.

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #35
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
61 F is cold? I think that when most of us who aren't that far south are talking about not riding in cold weather, we mean a lot colder - like 31 or 41.

Today when I rode to work it was 48 F, and I found that to be be downright balmy compared for the weather recently... Supposed to have showers this afternoon, so I have rain pants in my tailbag in case I need them.
I used to ride when it was below 20* up in Chicago. I know what cold is.

I'm just saying, for the jacket I have, 61 can feel cold quickly. I just don't have all the gear yet for cold weather riding.

Old May 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #36
Strider
Back on the Black!

Ouch Apex, way cold!

Cold doesn't bother me quite as much as it used to for some reason ... I can ride in anything over 32*F and not be uncomfortable (with my current gear), but you let it start raining on my @$$ and I want to go home!

I leave extra clothes at work just in case anyways. My boss thinks I'm nuts as it is. I'll walk in dressed in all my gear and a few minutes later I'm at my machine in jeans, work shirt and work shoes. Freaks him out I think. Not sure he's ever ridden, but his brother is an HD nut

Old May 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #37
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I like the idea of leaving some stuff at work. I may have to do that to make sure all is well. Thanks for the idea.

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #38
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

I keep a pair of plain leather shoes at each of the two offices I work in. That way, when I ride to work, I can change out of my motorcycle boots.

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #39
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

When I was stationed at Ft. Ord, CA, I only had my Norton 750 for transportation. I wore a jumpsuit over my uniform and wore my combat boots. I kept a pair of shoes at work. I did not have a car for the whole time I was in the service.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote