ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #1
RyderRider15
Ate his own face. Twice.

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2009 KLR650

Question about knee to knee.

I'm still trying to get this down, however I'm finding myself doing this instead. When coming to a chicane or a S like turn. Instead of doing knee to knee, I'm putting all my weight on the pegs and basically standing up to move to the other side of the bike. I don't feel I'm putting it on the bars, which is good I guess, but I'd like to know if this is even a problem as long as I don't put any weight on the handle bars?

Old April 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
As long as your smooth about it and not disturb the bikes suspension as well. The only negative thing I can think of off the cuff is you will be catching more wind the higher up you raise yourself.

Keep practicing though it takes a looooonnnnnngggg while before it happens consistantly without thinking about it. When you get it, you feel like "part of the bike" (ie locked on and in control) instead of just a rider as your bum never is "disconnected".
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
when you do it quicker, if you dont pull the inside knee up first, its much harder to keep your weight from "flopping" down to the other side. if you pull the inside knee up, scoot your ass to the other side, and then flop the bike over, your body is already in the correct position and the suspension isn't upset by the move.

Old April 4th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderRider15 View Post
........., but I'd like to know if this is even a problem as long as I don't put any weight on the handle bars?
It is a problem for stability:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
when you do it quicker, if you dont pull the inside knee up first, its much harder to keep your weight from "flopping" down to the other side. if you pull the inside knee up, scoot your ass to the other side, and then flop the bike over, your body is already in the correct position and the suspension isn't upset by the move.
+1 IIRC, Keith Code emphasizes this too. With respect to the upcoming turn, pull with your 'inside knee' before the turn, slide on over, stick your knee out, then push the bike over at the bars. Practice provides fluidity. Now I'm curious as to where you're finding roads in Durham! In the boonies I presume?
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hmmm I need to work on this. You can see in my video at 3:05 that there's some wobble as I re-position myself between the sweeping right and the tight left. I've been getting smoother and leaning less as I work on the throttle control and scooting my butt of properly, but as you can see I still have a long way to go.

Thanks for those links Hernan. Lots of tips in those videos.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #7
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Like csmith12 said.

An instructor I had emphasized keeping my butt down when transitioning knee to knee. He showed our group how up-and-down movement upsets the chassis - We practiced on a stationary bike and you could see and feel the suspension moving up and down if you were not smooth in the transition. If you are using your legs to rise up off the seat then plopping back down you will cause a slight weighting/un-weighting of the suspension.

Jeff

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Thanks for those links Hernan. Lots of tips in those videos.
You are welcome, Chris.

Nice ride, video and sound.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote