ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Day 1 in the Dirt

crossposted from here:

I tried to pack some things last night, but as usual, most of the hard work has to happen in the morning. My thought was to try to get to Metcalf Motorcycle Park by 9 or so, but seeing how we were still futzing around at home at 10 AM, I was glad that we weren't on too firm a schedule. Yesterday I had purchased a few more tie-downs to make the job a little easier, as they were the ratcheting style. They did make loading up the bikes a bit easier and more stable, and towing was easy. The ride up the mountain near Metcalf is quite twisty, but the bikes didn't move a bit.

Here's what the park looks like:

But here's where we were going to spend our day:

After paying $200 - $300 per day for a trackday, paying $6 for the whole car to get into the park is an almost guilty pleasure. I unloaded the bikes in the parking lot, and we got Kyle suited up. I started all of the motors, with no issues on my CRF or Ann's 125, but Kyle's 50 was a bit of a pain. It needed just the right amount of choke and throttle to run cleanly, and kept having to be restarted. It's known for being very cold-blooded, so I was expecting it to be a bit annoying until it warmed up. I suited up, and plopped Kyle on the bike. The plan was for him to do circles in the parking lot before venturing into the park. This was more exciting than it should have been, as he was quite tentative, and had a few tipovers while both starting and stopping. I think I had left him a little too much throttle available on the bike, so I dialed it back a smidge to make things a little smoother.

After 30 - 45 minutes of that, it was time for a break, with some food & drink before going at it again. I rode into the park to see how far it would be to get Kyle to the newbie oval, and as shown above, it's really close. There's a little hill to get into it, but once in it's just a dirt oval; perfect for newbies to learn. There were a few other kids playing on 50's and some small ATV's, so it was a good atmosphere. Kyle was still a bit tentative here, and was hoping that this track was laid out exactly like the one he enjoyed at MotoGP, with haybales all around and in the middle to make the track obvious. After convincing him that he could either ride this area or not ride at all, he got his courage up and started zipping around. And we were dirt riding! Time went by pretty quickly, and it doesn't take much to tire out a 5-year old, so after a bunch of laps it was about time again. I rode both the CRF for a bit, and took Annie's 125 around the small hills nearby, and they both felt great. Even at the crawling speeds I was going, it is a new feeling to have the front end be moving around so much when the dirt gets a little deeper. From what just about everyone shares; it's a feel that once gained, helps on all surfaces, so I'm looking forward to it.

We were so pre-occupied keeping Kyle on track, that we took a total of zero pictures while at the park. So that means we'll have to go back soon; hopefully next weekend!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
but not a single pic? FAIL!

Sounds like a good time was had.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
The park looks awesome, is there a lot of people there? Crowds tend to turn me off of riding parks which is unfortunate for me cuz some are really nice.

I know what you mean with the pictures. I think every time my wife and i go somewhere we are to busy and it tuns out to be a PITA to break out the camera and take some photos.

Sounds like a great day, it is always nice when everyone can go out and enjoy something like this together. I guess i kind of dragged my wife into dirt riding so i didn't have to feel guilty about leaving her at home when i would go riding but she loves it.

We were at her families farm today and that is currently where the KLX125 is at so i popped on it and got the blood flowing in it ripping around the farm. Those little bikes are sooo much fun!

Keep us updated on your dirt progress, pretty soon you will be hanging off drifting the turns.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Wait, @subxero, you're from Johnstown? That Inclined Plane was one of my favorite bonus locations in the entire IBR. Would have been more fun if it wasn't in a thunderstorm, but we can't have everything.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wait, @subxero, you're from Johnstown? That Inclined Plane was one of my favorite bonus locations in the entire IBR. Would have been more fun if it wasn't in a thunderstorm, but we can't have everything.
Yeah the incline plane here is decent, it is i think the steepest angled incline plane in the state, to bad the city isn't much to look at. And yeah it rains like crazy here in Johnstown, we get more rain than Seattle WA /yr

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
The park looks awesome, is there a lot of people there? Crowds tend to turn me off of riding parks which is unfortunate for me cuz some are really nice.
Crowds were quite light today, and it's a nice day on a Sunday. I have no more information to go on other than that, but today was great!

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Crowds were quite light today, and it's a nice day on a Sunday. I have no more information to go on other than that, but today was great!
That park looks amazing !!!

It seems that the little 50 could use a touch of enrichment of the mix.

How high was the temperature there?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It was in the 80's.

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Sounds like a good day. Yea dirt riding is sooo much cheaper. Wait till you start buying tires and the like. I spent $80 I think for a set of mx51s.

The nice thing about riding during green sticker season is that the crowds will be small. No one really likes riding during the hot months. No traction, dust, and it gets really hot.

Winter is when getting to the parks early is pretty imperative. You'll meet a whole new type of moto squid at the beginning of red sticker season. At metcalf the parking lots jam up in the late morning because $6 gets you open practice at an mx track. Versus $25 408 mx days with 20 min motos and a solid chance to see someone go home in an ambulance.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

We headed out to Metcalf again yesterday morning. Kyle had a great time!

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:44 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
when does he start moto3?

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

He already believes he's faster than mommy & daddy, so I'd give him a year or two.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 04:20 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:21 AM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

That is GREAT!!!!
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
awesome!

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #16
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
@Alex how is the off roading coming along?

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It's going pretty well! He's more comfortable now, and able to zip around in 2nd gear. The added speed makes it easier to go up that larger hill, and provides a little more stability. I'm amazed at the low speed balance that he seems to have; every time I think he's going too slow to keep moving, he somehow chugs along and keeps the bike upright, without ever even putting his feet down.

I've only explored two trails at that place, but hope to get more adventurous over the winter.

Old October 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Looks like fun my niece needs a new dirtbike, maybe ill get me a little one she can grow into soon