ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 10th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

The changing images situation

On another forum I use there has been an incident with photographer. and a load of legal crap. (not my posting fortunately). Out of nowhere I have seen this several times this year. Basically ambulance chasing internet photos seems to be the new racket.
This girls experience is typical
http://www.roniloren.com/blog/2012/7...your-blog.html

I think it has been facilitated by tiny eye and google image search, enabling photographers to post enticing photos then, later, go on lucrative fishing trips to find people who have used them without permission.
Previously they would have to come across use on obscure blogs (unlikely) but now it's just a mouse click.

Personally I think i will now be sticking to catalog photos wikimedia commons and my own stuff. Other wise just links.
"Paranoid" you say, probably Roni above and my friend on the other forum would have said that last year but once a lawyer is involved you are screwed

Last futzed with by Ninjinsky; July 11th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You think because she is a published author has anything to do with it?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

No it is because the process has recently become automated and millions of existing infringements = billions in compensation suits.
I quote from this article:-

http://www.contentfac.com/copyright-...ies-are-scary/

"If you use copyrighted images, you will get caught sooner or later. People who create copyrighted works hire companies that use computer programs to scour web pages for copies of those images. It takes time to find them, but the process is automated and runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

The pic on the other obscure site I use that had the trouble was actioned within 4 days by a photographer half way round the world

To judge from the governments complete failure to control the "patent trolls" who are currently cleaning up this will grow fast.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Good info. As far as I know, the site operator isn't generally liable for what their users post. Whether copyright, or illegal in a variety of other ways. Similar to the phone company not being liable for two individuals planning a crime over the phone. But - it seems clear that individual users could be targeted for use of copyrighted images (as could I is I posted them myself). Something to think about, certainly. One would hope that in a world of Google Images, that the laws/regulations would catch up with reality, but one should probably realize that even if that does happen, it takes quite awhile.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote