ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Red face Stripped Bolt head on oil filter

Well, I'm an idiot. I was in a hurry to get my oil changed and decided to give it a shot leaving the fairings on. I sat there trying to figure out why the darn oil filter bolt wouldn't come loose. Then I realized I was turning it the wrong darn direction.

In my efforts I managed to strip the head of the bolt pretty bad. Now a 17mm socket won't stay on as it just kind of twists off. sigh. I went ahead and replaced the oil I had drained with fresh oil.

So here's the situation:

300 miles on the bike. Oil Filter has been in since 60 miles. Clean oil is in.

What should I do? Should I just wait to take it to the shop at 600 miles and let them replace the bolt?

If I need to get the filter out before then, how can I go about doing this? I'm thinking there may be enough of the head left close to the filter to grab it with my 17mm wrench if I take the fairing off.

Have I permanently screwed up anything that can't be easily replaced?
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

You probably just need a new bolt and crush washer. Take the fairings off to get yourself some space. Use a large pair of vise grips. Tighten it down real good and take it off. If you can't budge the vise grips, smack it a couple times firmly with a hammer. No need to pay a shop to take it off. I would just wait until the next oil change.

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #3
Liber
ninjette.org sage

ok, so after vacation I've started screwing around with this again. I took it to task with a pipe wrench and loosened it up. What is the official name of the bolt? I know it has a 17mm head, but I need to know the length of it as well.

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #4
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

The oil filter bolt is special. I would go to the dealer and just order a new one. That bolt is connected to this channel system that goes into the filter and routes the oil through the filter in the correct direction.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
The oil filter bolt is special. I would go to the dealer and just order a new one. That bolt is connected to this channel system that goes into the filter and routes the oil through the filter in the correct direction.
can it cause any major problems with it being over tight?

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #6
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
can it cause any major problems with it being over tight?
I would buy a torque wrench, they come in handy and are a useful investment if you're wrenching on your bike.

Least I thought it was nice to make sure I didn't mess anything up on my bike
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Try a 6 point socket on it first

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
I would buy a torque wrench, they come in handy and are a useful investment if you're wrenching on your bike.

Least I thought it was nice to make sure I didn't mess anything up on my bike
I have one, I had done 2 oil changes before this and re-secured the filter with my torque wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Try a 6 point socket on it first
did, just twists off. Like I said, I was able to loosen it with a pipe wrench, but there's no way to reset it with a torque wrench because the socket can't grip the bolt.

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #9
setasai

I'm not saying theres something special with how it reacts to being too tight. I'm saying that the filter bolt if stripped will just need to be replaced. I'm not sure if you can find it anywhere but a dealer since it's a special bolt. Or are you talking about the oil drain bolt because that's not so special?

I use wrenches instead of sockets because they tend not to slip off as easily leading to a stripped bolthead. Then when I tighten it, is when the torque wrench is used.

Edit: reread your post. If you've already changed the oil and you want to leave it and wait for the 600mile maintenance then I guess you could. Doesnt sound like it'll be that big of a problem. If you end up doing the 600mile yourself, then just go ahead and replace it. Either way it'll get replaced, but another 300miles probably isnt going to hurt anything as long as there's been an oil change already.

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I'm not saying theres something special with how it reacts to being too tight. I'm saying that the filter bolt if stripped will just need to be replaced. I'm not sure if you can find it anywhere but a dealer since it's a special bolt. Or are you talking about the oil drain bolt because that's not so special?

I use wrenches instead of sockets because they tend not to slip off as easily leading to a stripped bolthead. Then when I tighten it, is when the torque wrench is used.

Edit: reread your post. If you've already changed the oil and you want to leave it and wait for the 600mile maintenance then I guess you could. Doesnt sound like it'll be that big of a problem. If you end up doing the 600mile yourself, then just go ahead and replace it. Either way it'll get replaced, but another 300miles probably isnt going to hurt anything as long as there's been an oil change already.
Yeh, thanks for the input, that's the answer I was looking for. I called several dealers but they don't have any in stock. However, they can order one. It's $29.95. I'll just wait til the 600 mile. The drain plug wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Word to the wise: be careful with this thing, a 30$ bolt is an expensive bolt.

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #11
kkim

well, its function is more than a mere bolt to hold the filter on. It actually becomes part of the oil return system once in place. $30 sounds like a lot for a bolt, but it's a very special/specific bolt.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #12
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

If I understand your description, the threads are okay, but the head of the "bolt" has been rounded. If that's the case you might be able to get away with filing or machining down the sides of the bolt head so that a 16mm or 15mm socket would fit.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Right, it has a relief valve built into it. And yes, it's the head of the bolt that is stripped/rounded, not the threads.

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I think I bought one off of bikebandit.com for a lot less. When I get a chance, I can look it up for you.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #15
setasai

Quote:
Yeh, thanks for the input, that's the answer I was looking for. I called several dealers but they don't have any in stock. However, they can order one. It's $29.95. I'll just wait til the 600 mile. The drain plug wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Word to the wise: be careful with this thing, a 30$ bolt is an expensive bolt.
If you end up waiting for the 600mile, be sure to order the bolt ahead of time since it doesnt look like they'll keep them in stock normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
If I understand your description, the threads are okay, but the head of the "bolt" has been rounded. If that's the case you might be able to get away with filing or machining down the sides of the bolt head so that a 16mm or 15mm socket would fit.
Sounds like alot of work to save $30. I suppose in a pinch he could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
I think I bought one off of bikebandit.com for a lot less. When I get a chance, I can look it up for you.
Is this the part?
16126: VALVE,OIL FILTER 782551(7299887-001) $26.95

Looked like it from the picture on bikebandit but not sure.

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #16
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:

Is this the part?
16126: VALVE,OIL FILTER 782551(7299887-001) $26.95

Looked like it from the picture on bikebandit but not sure.
Yup, that's the right part, I must've had some Bandit bucks since I remember paying like $15. They're 21.48 on cheapcycleparts.com.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/25705
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Liber
ninjette.org sage

nice find, ordering a replacement as we speak.

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #18
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
nice find, ordering a replacement as we speak.
Good luck getting your part from cheap cycleparts. You'll be lucky if you dont have to wait 2 weeks. They are a disgusting coven of scumbags with zero customer service.

In the future, think about partshark.com when needing thins of a parts fiche. Jason over there takes care of his customers and will ship lightning fast(same day) when the parts get to him.

Honestly, Id recommend calling on Monday to cancel your order at cheapcycleparts, but I dont want you to be subjected to the agonizing and aggravating expderience it is toget one of the trailer wenches that work there on the phone. Just ride out this order and cross your fingers.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote