ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 28th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Things I have learned as a new rider

So, in the past couple months I have ridden (rode?) my bike every single day, to and from work, rain or shine. Along the way, I have picked up a few things. A lot of these will be the regurgitated things you hear in every "New Rider" thread, but I learned them nonetheless. Some of these may seem random, and are in no particular order.

-ATGATT !!

-Never ever ride in someone's blind spot.

-Always assume that you're invisible, and when you do become visible, that the driver of the car around you may over react. For example, they start moving into your lane, see you, and violently swerve back into their lane.

-Always assume that car ahead of you to the right may do an illegal U-turn at any given time

-Always assume that the car waiting to turn left in front of you is going to cut you off. (You're invisible, remember?!)

-Always give yourself an escape. Even at intersections. For example- if you're coming to a stop, and there's not a car stopping immediately behind you, try and position your front wheel in such a way that you can move out of the way, just in case the person coming up behind you is texting on their phone. Do NOT become a motorcycle/meat sandwich between two cars.

-Watch the cars on the shoulder, eventually someone will pull out in front of you, or do a U-turn in front of you.

-If on a road with two or more lanes in your direction of travel, ride in one of the inside lanes, so it's harder for people to turn out in front of you.

-Swallow your pride. If someone in a car starts messing with you/wanting to race you/tailgating you, let them go. Seriously- it's not worth it. If push comes to shove, the car WILL WIN.

-Ride within YOUR limits, and your level of comfort. With friends, or in a group setting you may feel pressured to 'keep up'. Forgetaboutit. Enjoy your ride, your way.

-Practice, Practice, PRACTICE your emergency maneuvers. Quick stops & Swerves will eventually save you from injury or worse.

-Practice low speed balance.

-Don't ride 2-up until you're comfortable on your own.

-Watch the road for gravel. Seriously- it's your worst enemy when it comes to road debris.

-Learn to work on your own bike. Understand the maintenance required. Understand how everything functions.

-If you're worried about something on the bike- fix or replace it. There's nothing worse than thinking "Are my brakes good enough?" "Do my tires need replacing, or am I OK for now?" You'll spend every moment on your bike worrying, which will diminish your confidence and ruin your ride. Peace of mind is priceless on two wheels.

-Watch crash videos and learn from others mistakes.

-The fastest route isn't always the best route. Learn where/how you like to ride, and enjoy your ride. Sure, the highway is the fastest way to work, but I'd rather leave a little bit earlier and hit some back roads and have a nice enjoyable ride to start my day.

-If it's hot where you ride, vented gear and a water backpack full of ice & water does wonders to keep you comfortable and hydrated.

-A good set of headlights are worth their weight in gold during night riding.

-Learn to lean your bike over, and countersteer. Obviously don't try to go all Rossi right from the get go, but learn.

-Your bike goes, where the head goes. Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go. Target fixation is your enemy.

-Don't panic. Keep cool and calculated.

-Fear is healthy. Turn that fear into awareness.

-If it's wet- stay away from anything painted & metal. Stay away from pooled water. Increase your following distance and slow down.

-Have a plan for when/if you break down. Know what to do in certain situations. For example, if the oil pressure lamp illuminates- kill the engine as soon as safely possible.

-Do not ride behind trucks/cars with things tied down/carrying loads, and if you do have to- increase your following distance.

-Pay attention to your lane position to remain as visible, as possible.

-At red lights, wait for a few seconds after it turns green to ensure someone isn't going to run the light.

-Cover your brakes & clutch.

-Learn how to downshift quickly & rev match while braking.

-Lastly, have fun! You're on a motorcycle damn it!

I'm sure there's more I've learned, and if I think of them, I'll edit this post. Others- feel free to chime in.

Last futzed with by Bluberryrain; June 29th, 2016 at 12:49 PM. Reason: SLOWn60: "Brake your motorcycle. Don't break it!" :p
Bluberryrain is offline   Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.

Old June 28th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
As another new rider, I'd agree with those!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh!!! one more: Remember that all the lessons you learn in a motorcycle still apply when you get in a cage. Applying what you learn on a bike to when you're in a car will help you live to see the next time you get to ride your motorbike!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #4
CaliGrrl

Oh, yeah, for sure. It's defensive-driving on steroids and it works. I find myself noticing things in the car all the time that I would need to notice on the bike.

Old June 28th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Oh, yeah, for sure. It's defensive-driving on steroids and it works. I find myself noticing things in the car all the time that I would need to notice on the bike.
Spend some time playing the punch buggy game in your car with someone who doesn't ride a motorcycle. After a few years with your eyes darting back and forth defensively on the motorcycle, you'll amaze your friends with how quickly and how far off you can recognize things.

Even better, ride shotgun with someone who doesn't ride. Watch for things on the side of the road, other traffic on the highway, silly drivers doing silly driver things, etc. and make a mental note of how long it takes your non-riding friend to react and then how they react.

It's fascinating. And a little scary that you share the road with so many clueless, inattentive people.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #6
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
And the newbie of the month award goes to....

Great post OP!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluberryrain View Post

I only got one nit pick, for every other crash vid you watch, view one good riding video. You can learn from the BAD and the GOOD.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #8
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
And a little scary that you share the road with so many clueless, inattentive people.
A lot scary. People on their phones, people doing a thousand other things when they should be driving. Reading the newspaper, watching a movie on the car DVD player, yelling at kids in the backseat...

Not to mention the ones who are just zoned out. Or the actively aggressive ones.

Old June 29th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
And the newbie of the month award goes to....

Great post OP!
Hey, thanks!!

Quote:
I only got one nit pick, for every other crash vid you watch, view one good riding video. You can learn from the BAD and the GOOD.
This is a good point! Learn from everything

Old June 29th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #10
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Quote:
A lot scary. People on their phones, people doing a thousand other things when they should be driving. Reading the newspaper, watching a movie on the car DVD player, yelling at kids in the backseat...

Not to mention the ones who are just zoned out. Or the actively aggressive ones.
To me, it's amazing that we have this mutual system of trust between us in society, to drive thousands pounds of steel at 75mph towards each other.

Ever since I started riding a bike, I've noticed SO many people doing things they have no business doing while operating said thousand pounds of steel. Hell, just the other day around here- some lady ran a red light and plowed into someone doing 65+ and was ejected from her car. What was she doing? On her phone....

Unreal, man.

Old June 29th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #11
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
3 nit-picks on your list:
-Ride two up only if they have full gear!
-Sand and slick liquids are your worst enemies. Pure gravel assuming it's not a dump load; is exciting but not catastrophic unless you panic.
-Brake your motorcycle. Don't break it!
Excellent post, OP!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #12
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
3 nit-picks on your list:
-Ride two up only if they have full gear!
-Sand and slick liquids are your worst enemies. Pure gravel assuming it's not a dump load; is exciting but not catastrophic unless you panic.
-Brake your motorcycle. Don't break it!
Excellent post, OP!
Oops! Edited the post to reflect the proper usage of "Break and brake." Quoted you in the edit reason.

You also make some good points. Especially RE two up.

Thanks!

Old June 29th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #13
CaliGrrl

Considering how badly people drive, I'm often surprised how few crashes there actually are... there are a lot of lucky people out there.

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #14
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Considering how badly people drive, I'm often surprised how few crashes there actually are... there are a lot of lucky people out there.
You got that right. I seriously wonder what they are teaching in driver's ed/what's on the driving test these days. From no turn signals at all, to turn signals turned on after the person is already turning, nobody checking blind spots before changing lanes (they seem to think it's your responsibility to be out of their way), running stop signs and blasting through crosswalks in parking lots....I could go on forever.

I had a forehead smacking moment yesterday as I was walking to my car from Target. Lady blew through a stop sign and the crosswalk so she could park 2 seconds quicker. As I walked by her to my car, I see the "watch out for motorcycles" bumper sticker....must have been driving hubby's car for the day cuz she wasn't watching out for sh**.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #15
CaliGrrl

I think it's more sloppiness than a lack of teaching. Nobody smacks them for their sloppy habits, so they continue, and add more.

Old July 9th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #16
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluberryrain View Post
So, in the past couple months I have ridden (rode?) my bike every single day, to and from work, rain or shine. Along the way, I have picked up a few things. A lot of these will be the regurgitated things you hear in every "New Rider" thread, but I learned them nonetheless. Some of these may seem random, and are in no particular order.

-ATGATT !!

-Never ever ride in someone's blind spot.

-Always assume that you're invisible, and when you do become visible, that the driver of the car around you may over react. For example, they start moving into your lane, see you, and violently swerve back into their lane.

-Always assume that car ahead of you to the right may do an illegal U-turn at any given time

-Always assume that the car waiting to turn left in front of you is going to cut you off. (You're invisible, remember?!)

-Always give yourself an escape. Even at intersections. For example- if you're coming to a stop, and there's not a car stopping immediately behind you, try and position your front wheel in such a way that you can move out of the way, just in case the person coming up behind you is texting on their phone. Do NOT become a motorcycle/meat sandwich between two cars.

-Watch the cars on the shoulder, eventually someone will pull out in front of you, or do a U-turn in front of you.

-If on a road with two or more lanes in your direction of travel, ride in one of the inside lanes, so it's harder for people to turn out in front of you.

-Swallow your pride. If someone in a car starts messing with you/wanting to race you/tailgating you, let them go. Seriously- it's not worth it. If push comes to shove, the car WILL WIN.

-Ride within YOUR limits, and your level of comfort. With friends, or in a group setting you may feel pressured to 'keep up'. Forgetaboutit. Enjoy your ride, your way.

-Practice, Practice, PRACTICE your emergency maneuvers. Quick stops & Swerves will eventually save you from injury or worse.

-Practice low speed balance.

-Don't ride 2-up until you're comfortable on your own.

-Watch the road for gravel. Seriously- it's your worst enemy when it comes to road debris.

-Learn to work on your own bike. Understand the maintenance required. Understand how everything functions.

-If you're worried about something on the bike- fix or replace it. There's nothing worse than thinking "Are my brakes good enough?" "Do my tires need replacing, or am I OK for now?" You'll spend every moment on your bike worrying, which will diminish your confidence and ruin your ride. Peace of mind is priceless on two wheels.

-The fastest route isn't always the best route. Learn where/how you like to ride, and enjoy your ride. Sure, the highway is the fastest way to work, but I'd rather leave a little bit earlier and hit some back roads and have a nice enjoyable ride to start my day.

-If it's hot where you ride, vented gear and a water backpack full of ice & water does wonders to keep you comfortable and hydrated.

-A good set of headlights are worth their weight in gold during night riding.

-Learn to lean your bike over, and countersteer. Obviously don't try to go all Rossi right from the get go, but learn.

-Your bike goes, where the head goes. Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go. Target fixation is your enemy.

-Don't panic. Keep cool and calculated.

-Fear is healthy. Turn that fear into awareness.

-If it's wet- stay away from anything painted & metal. Stay away from pooled water. Increase your following distance and slow down.

-Have a plan for when/if you break down. Know what to do in certain situations. For example, if the oil pressure lamp illuminates- kill the engine as soon as safely possible.

-Do not ride behind trucks/cars with things tied down/carrying loads, and if you do have to- increase your following distance.

-Pay attention to your lane position to remain as visible, as possible.

-At red lights, wait for a few seconds after it turns green to ensure someone isn't going to run the light.

-Cover your brakes & clutch.

-Learn how to downshift quickly & rev match while braking.

-Lastly, have fun! You're on a motorcycle damn it!

I'm sure there's more I've learned, and if I think of them, I'll edit this post. Others- feel free to chime in.
All great points!! The only thing I would like to add is that it is important to get PROPER RIDER TRAINING early on in your riding career so that you are certain you are working on and practice the right skills!! I skipped this step when I first started riding and so I developed some really bad habits that were hard to break. I've attached a pic of me at the California Superbike School with some pretty awful body position that took days and days of coaching to undue. That was when I first started training with the school

Get training right away, practice the RIGHT skills, then get more training and keep on learning and improving!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8563.JPG (36.7 KB, 3 views)
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'd like to add, don't drink and ride! These bikes don't have cup holders.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 9th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I'd like to add, don't drink and ride! These bikes don't have cup holders.
that jiggles kid had a bar mount with a gimbal to hold his beer.

problem solved.

Old July 9th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #19
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
that jiggles kid had a bar mount with a gimbal to hold his beer.

problem solved.
And a few accidents to go with it.