MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow Road Science: Cornering Control

A four-part series of articles on street cornering written by David L. Hough:

Part 1: Accurate steering control

Part 2: Cornering Lines

Part 3: The Throttle

Part 4: Weight and Balance

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:00 AM   #2
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Good review, this is also in his book Motorcycle Proficiency, which is a great read for a new rider.

I could prob stand to work on taking the proper line, that and everything else too

Old April 26th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #3
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Very good stuff.

Old April 26th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #4
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Good information, but i don't agree with being that close to the yellow line.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Agree, but not sure if it kinda goes without saying to give yourself some space if a car is coming or to take advantage of available space if no car is coming. Feel me?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Agree, but not sure if it kinda goes without saying to give yourself some space if a car is coming or to take advantage of available space if no car is coming. Feel me?
Cannot tell if car coming in both pics.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 26th, 2016, 11:49 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Cannot tell if car coming in both pics.
Common yo, you have been around long enough to know me, your right! I wouldn't be right on the yellow line in either of those pics, but if a rider could see further though the corner enough to account for a more than safe line, then why not?

Old April 26th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #8
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Common yo, you have been around long enough to know me, your right! I wouldn't be right on the yellow line in either of those pics, but if a rider could see further though the corner enough to account for a more than safe line, then why not?
Because street. Best practices. Grease strip. N00bs studying our words of wisdom. Because...street.

If one is travelling anywhere near the legal limit; you only need a 12" wide "track" which in a corner, is the inside, position #3 and at a speed within stopping distance visibility limits so as to avoid crossing the grease strip (twice in your illustration) in position #2 particularly in wetter environs! On the street it's best to learn & practice survival skills. If you're in the habit because of learning of travelling on the street at a speed that requires crossing the grease strip then you are far more likely to experience a nasty hard lesson one day!
The track; curb to curb! N00bs; it's about survival skills!
My
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Because... you guys are making something more out of my words than what is stated there or.... it's my fault and I am not being clear enough (most likely case ). Never outride your vision (not the first time I have said this), what may trouble you in that distance is a very long list.

Bottom line of what I "really" meant. If you can see completely through the corner, no traffic with clean, dry, clear pavement... then a self imposed lane placement limitation on yourself serves no real purpose.

The most common moto crash is a single vehicle incident where a rider failed to negotiate the turn, having more pavement to work with will help... pretty simple imho. Your bike is not a car, use more of the lane to your advantage. And THAT... is a street skill.

Old April 26th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #10
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old April 26th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #11
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
requires crossing the grease strip
I remember those, but I have not seen one fir a long time. Still have them up your way?

Can anyone explain why they are largely gone. Cars engines don't drip like they once did? Every now and again I will find gravel in that strip as I round a bend.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #12
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I remember those, but I have not seen one fir a long time. Still have them up your way?

Can anyone explain why they are largely gone. Cars engines don't drip like they once did? Every now and again I will find gravel in that strip as I round a bend.
There's tons of them but unless it's wet, they usually aren't an issue and I think you're right; better built vehicles that don't drip as much as they used to and sealed bearings instead of grease nipples etc. We get a lot of rain here and when first wet after a dry spell; it's a wet ice skating rink! Once scrubbed and rinsed (2 or 3 hours of rain & traffic) the traction is great in the wheel tracks but still sketchy in the # 2 position for much longer. And because of centripetal force; oil & crap are flung to the outside of a curve thus on a right hand bend; position #3 is best. On a left handed; position # 1 but that's a guideline!

Old April 27th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #13
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Newbs tend not to see the big picture, and I want them to know that being that close to the yellow limits where you can go in an emergency situation. Whether it be a stick in the road or Grandpa driving his 40 foot camper pulling his trailer cutting the corner short.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 27th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Fair enough...

Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:37 PM   #15
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Bump

Old August 4th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #16
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Because street. Best practices. Grease strip. N00bs studying our words of wisdom. Because...street.

If one is travelling anywhere near the legal limit; you only need a 12" wide "track" which in a corner, is the inside, position #3 and at a speed within stopping distance visibility limits so as to avoid crossing the grease strip (twice in your illustration) in position #2 particularly in wetter environs! On the street it's best to learn & practice survival skills. If you're in the habit because of learning of travelling on the street at a speed that requires crossing the grease strip then you are far more likely to experience a nasty hard lesson one day!
The track; curb to curb! N00bs; it's about survival skills!
My
I couldnt agree more, you know, or at least i do, how people cut curves sharp and cross that line into your lane.

i just had this exact incident last week. i was riding down a 2 lane road, traffic flowing in opposite directions, double yellow line, 25mph zone, i was going 30. clear, dry, sunny day. approaching right hand 90° bend in the road, corner was all trees and weeds, could not see around the bend. me knowing how morons like to cut it close, and me being a new rider, i didnt want to take any chances and used my brain.

to make the turn, i stayed towards the middle of my lane, away from the double yellow, and cut it all the way to the inside to the right. good thing i did, a big a white semi-lifted ford f250 towing a landscape trailer was literally 2/5-1/2 its vehicle width across the double yellow into my lane through the whole curve
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #17
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
That is exactly why you don't want to cut things too close on the road. Drivers cut the corner all the time. You need your margin of safety- to change your line in the corner when you see someone in your lane, to slow down if the corner decreases, or whatever else happens. The road is highly unpredictable.

Even as a noob, I have seen that much. Glad you stayed safe!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote