ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old December 7th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
beninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Talking 08 zx6r! insurance though...

I've been riding my ninjette for over a year now, and over thanksgiving weekend I picked up a 2008 zx6r for $2700! It needs a new rear tire, chain, and has some fairing damage but other than that she runs and idles beautifully.

I called into Progressive today and they quoted me at over $4K a year!

I'm working on a college budget so I may just fix her up, and sell her. I would like to know what everyone is paying for 600cc supersports!

beninja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old December 7th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Damn!!! I wish I could find a 08 ZX6R for that price in that type of condition. I'd be all over that. People around here ask ridiculous amounts of money for used 600's and liters bikes. And they are in worse condition than the bike you bought.

4k for full coverage? Just get liability. Bike only cost you $2700.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Jono, you know insurance isn't about the value of the item insured. It's about the value of what the item crashes into.

I pay $690 per yr liability + medical + comprehensive + under insured on my 06 r6. 39yr old, 1 ticket (cage) + multicar discount.

Dayummmmm $4k naw.... I'll pass on that.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Jono, you know insurance isn't about the value of the item insured. It's about the value of what the item crashes into.

I pay $690 per yr liability + medical + comprehensive + under insured on my 06 r6. 39yr old, 1 ticket (cage) + multicar discount.

Yeah I was saying if it cost 4k for full coverage then just get liability/under-insured coverage. Makes no sense to pay for full coverage on a bike that costs $2700 if he has to pay 4k every year.

Old December 7th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #5
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Wow! Good deal on the bike. How many miles does it have? Did you keep your 250?

Crazy insurance prices for you. I wonder what a 1000cc would cost you - probably like 6-7k per year. It depends on so many things when it comes to insurance prices. Age, if you're married, taken MSF, location, type of bike, driving record. Sucks that you are getting put into such a high price bracket on it.

Don't know what I'd do about the bike in your situation either. Since money is an issue and you're in college maybe you should fix it up a touch and sell it. I personally wouldn't want to risk crashing it in a turn and having no bike, that's why I like full insurance.

FYI - The 650 twins cost a lot less to insure usually. Like the Ninja 650 or SV650. They aren't considered sport bikes usually (check for sure though). Good luck!
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 03:11 AM   #6
Dozer
ninjette.org member

Name: CarL

Motorcycle(s): 2010 EX250, 2012 ZX-6R

$1,177 per year for a 2012 zx6r. Man, I thought that was expensive! 4k a year??? What are these insurance companies thinking?

I was once asked what I thought heaven was like...
I saw asphalt, I saw twisties, then I saw me on my bike.

Last futzed with by Dozer; December 8th, 2013 at 03:12 AM. Reason: more info
Dozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #7
Brocked
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer View Post
$1,177 per year for a 2012 zx6r. Man, I thought that was expensive! 4k a year??? What are these insurance companies thinking?
If I had to guess I'd say they're thinking he's gonna end up in the hospital or worse. While that hopefully won't be the case, I can't really blame them for charging a huge amount.
Brocked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #8
mrb
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Just get a naked bike. Just as much fun and they aren't considered sport bikes so insurance would be slashed.

oh and nice name OP
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #9
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
go shopping
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
beninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb View Post
Just get a naked bike. Just as much fun and they aren't considered sport bikes so insurance would be slashed.

oh and nice name OP
Most original name ever right? haha

Old December 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #11
beninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Damn!!! I wish I could find a 08 ZX6R for that price in that type of condition. I'd be all over that. People around here ask ridiculous amounts of money for used 600's and liters bikes. And they are in worse condition than the bike you bought.

4k for full coverage? Just get liability. Bike only cost you $2700.
So I've been using the online quote calculator for progressive and I'm getting way better prices. I think the reason it was so high is because I was quoted for the same options that I have for my 250.

Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, What's your deductible for comprehensive? Also what do you have for medical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
Wow! Good deal on the bike. How many miles does it have? Did you keep your 250?

Crazy insurance prices for you. I wonder what a 1000cc would cost you - probably like 6-7k per year. It depends on so many things when it comes to insurance prices. Age, if you're married, taken MSF, location, type of bike, driving record. Sucks that you are getting put into such a high price bracket on it.

Don't know what I'd do about the bike in your situation either. Since money is an issue and you're in college maybe you should fix it up a touch and sell it. I personally wouldn't want to risk crashing it in a turn and having no bike, that's why I like full insurance.

FYI - The 650 twins cost a lot less to insure usually. Like the Ninja 650 or SV650. They aren't considered sport bikes usually (check for sure though). Good luck!
The bike has just over 15k, and I'm going to have to sell one of them. I don't want to let go of my ninjette though, so many memories!

If I get the minimum for Arizona it would cost around $400 a year. What do you all recommend having as the minimum?

Insurance rates will be the deciding factor.

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #12
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

its $2000 a year here in texas for full coverage on a 600. The states closest to the mexico border have incredibly higher insurance due to the amount of unregistered, uninsured illegals. It sucks but thats the price we have to pay when people don't want to be here legally. Even my 250 is still $65 a month here, in Colorado where I came from it would have been $28 a month for the same insurance....and getting just liability on a motorcycle is just insane. Has nothing to do with just the cost of the bike. Ask Kevin's dad about how the insurance has come into play with what happened to him, I guarantee Kevin had full coverage and they are thanking god that he did
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Ask Kevin's dad about how the insurance has come into play with what happened to him, I guarantee Kevin had full coverage and they are thanking god that he did

I feel like I should start a new thread for this, but when I think for full coverage I include liabiltiy/underinsured/uninsured and Comprehensive and Collision. Why would anyone add medical coverage to their motorcycle policy? Don't you people have health insurance?

I doubt Kevin had medical payments under his motorcycle policy. It's pretty expensive for us young guys. Idk though.

I had like $1000 medical coverage on my Ninja 250 when I first got it cause I was a noob and didn't know what I was doing. But it increased my rates by a large amount of money. $1000 of medical wouldn't even pay for an ambulance ride. So why do people pay for medical coverage assuming they also have health insurance? @csmith12 Why do you do it?

Old December 8th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #14
beninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I feel like I should start a new thread for this, but when I think for full coverage I include liabiltiy/underinsured/uninsured and Comprehensive and Collision. Why would anyone add medical coverage to their motorcycle policy? Don't you people have health insurance?

I doubt Kevin had medical payments under his motorcycle policy. It's pretty expensive for us young guys. Idk though.

I had like $1000 medical coverage on my Ninja 250 when I first got it cause I was a noob and didn't know what I was doing. But it increased my rates by a large amount of money. $1000 of medical wouldn't even pay for an ambulance ride. So why do people pay for medical coverage assuming they also have health insurance? @csmith12 Why do you do it?
Don't worry about starting a new thread, this is all good information! I turned 20 in october so I'm new to this insurance thing, hopefully I can get some better pointers.

Old December 8th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I pay around $1700 for my 250R. But I am 23, first-time rider with an M2 (we have M1, M2 and the full M).

I was quoted $10,000 for a 2006 GSX-R 600 and that's when I hung up.

I would've thought USA would be cheaper (and it is compared to 10k), I wouldn't pay anything over $2,000 especially on a college budget. Bu is definitely a steal @2700.

I'd fix it up and sell for a gain; apparently rates drop when you hit 25 so maybe it's best to stick with the Ninja and really learn riding fully before jumping on a 600. I am of course assuming this is your first year riding.
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninja View Post
If you don't mind me asking, What's your deductible for comprehensive? Also what do you have for medical?
My deductible is $500 and I have $5k medical.

Quote:
@csmith12 Why do you do it?
Because I have an HSA compatible family medical insurance plan. It has a $5k deductible (aka your high deductible). I have to pay 100% (discounted rates) until my deductible is met, then I pay 0%. +$5k payout from bike insurance policy medical - $5k payment to health insurance deductible = $0 out of pocket until 100% health insurance payout is reached. Then I can get sick for profit. Umm.... no wait.

When I look at my paycheck stub, you know what it says for my medical insurance? Yep.... $0 I only pay for what I use, just like it should be. My wife hates it though. When we go to the doc, it's normally about $120 instead of a $20 co-pay. But at the end of the year when we tally it all up and see we only spent about $1200. She smiles, knowing we could have payed about $280 out of each paycheck without even going to the doc. $280 x 26 = $7280 and that sucks if you only needed to see the doc about 5 times.

I count my blessings every day that I can afford to drop $5k at any time to cover mine and my families needs.

Old December 8th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #17
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

in Texas you have to have the MSF cert. and at least 10,000 extra in insurance to not wear your helmet, I wear mine but I still added the extra insurance. I'm 33 with a 2 yr old and I don't want my family to be burdened with medical bills if something were to happen. I'm sure that there would still be bills even with the health and extra auto insurance, but it won't be nearly as bad as without
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old December 8th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #19
Jono

@csmith12 Okay that makes a lot of sense now. Thanks for that info.

Old December 8th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:

Because I have an HSA compatible family medical insurance plan. It has a $5k deductible (aka your high deductible). I have to pay 100% (discounted rates) until my deductible is met, then I pay 0%. +$5k payout from bike insurance policy medical - $5k payment to health insurance deductible = $0 out of pocket until 100% health insurance payout is reached. Then I can get sick for profit. Umm.... no wait.
damn, that's a good setup for your insurance. easily affordable and you combined them to work out well in your favor.

now what I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is the possibility of keeping both bikes, keeping the 250 insured and riding that on street while turning the zx6r into a dedicated track bike for a few years until the insurance rate drops. so long as you had a way to get it to the track it would probably be well worth it in terms of fun and experience and it would most likely cost less than 4 grand a year.

the insurance prices remind me of when I was looking into my second bike, now I run really high coverage numbers (500k-1mil with 1mil underinsured) so it may be a little skewed but I called in for insurance pricing for a cbr1000rr and got back 760/month 9120/year as my price...bike was 4.5 grand...at 30-60 minimum coverage I was then charged with 88/month ~1k/year but I didn't want to ride without the insurance since I knew as well as the insurance company that I would probably end up needing it on an cbr1000rr. for reference my 300's insurance is 88/month with full coverage and multiple ticketed infractions. gotta love small displacement insurance rates.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #21
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:

When I look at my paycheck stub, you know what it says for my medical insurance? Yep.... $0 I only pay for what I use, just like it should be. My wife hates it though. When we go to the doc, it's normally about $120 instead of a $20 co-pay. But at the end of the year when we tally it all up and see we only spent about $1200. She smiles, knowing we could have payed about $280 out of each paycheck without even going to the doc. $280 x 26 = $7280 and that sucks if you only needed to see the doc about 5 times.

I count my blessings every day that I can afford to drop $5k at any time to cover mine and my families needs.
Oh ****, I never thought about it like that. Will need to update insurance again soon.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #22
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Star View Post
I pay around $1700 for my 250R. But I am 23, first-time rider with an M2 (we have M1, M2 and the full M).

I was quoted $10,000 for a 2006 GSX-R 600 and that's when I hung up.

I would've thought USA would be cheaper (and it is compared to 10k), I wouldn't pay anything over $2,000 especially on a college budget. Bu is definitely a steal @2700.

I'd fix it up and sell for a gain; apparently rates drop when you hit 25 so maybe it's best to stick with the Ninja and really learn riding fully before jumping on a 600. I am of course assuming this is your first year riding.
How bad is your driving record for them to quote you $10k?!

I have my M2, a 2011 ZX-6R and I pay ~$1800/year. 27 years old clean record.

But we can't really compare our insurance to the OP's as there is no medical component to our insurance.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post

But we can't really compare our insurance to the OP's as there is no medical component to our insurance.
it's partly because it's a gsxr, the gsxr line has the highest insurance rates out of all the japanese sport bikes. I would imagine it has something to do with the stereotype that a gsxr rider is "that guy" and "that guy" has a tendency to make insurance companies lose money.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Oh ****, I never thought about it like that. Will need to update insurance again soon.
If you make any changes to your plan(s). Make sure you understand what you are getting vs. not getting, any overlaps and especially any exceptions. I wouldn't recommend my insurance setup to the average rider. I am self employed and fought "the man" hard to get what I wanted and I pay dearly for it but I do it with a smile. I also left out one little nugget. My company pays a $1200 premium to enact the policy at the start of the year. As you might expect, the devil is in the details. And DO read the fine print.

Old December 9th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #25
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post

Lol I had one ticket in Canada. But I guess it's because I'm 24. I've heard that insurance premiums drop like a brick after you're 25.

I talked to TD Meloche-Monnex. Whom are you with and do you have your car & home insurance with them too?

The insurance is the only thing preventing me from upgrading
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #26
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Star View Post
Lol I had one ticket in Canada. But I guess it's because I'm 24. I've heard that insurance premiums drop like a brick after you're 25.

I talked to TD Meloche-Monnex. Whom are you with and do you have your car & home insurance with them too?

The insurance is the only thing preventing me from upgrading
Yeah I'm with TD. The multi-product rebate is handy. I have a house, a bike and 2 cars insured with them.

I saw the biggest savings by just having more experience. On the 250 I was paying $1800 the first year, then the second year it came down to $1500.

The best trick I found was calling them every year before the renewal. My usual line is "I think my rates are too high, can you re-evaluate them and see if there's any savings?" and each time they've always lowered the rate on something (house, car etc)
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #27
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

you know you have SE plastics? those are semi rare. Dont take the decals off. See if you can trade for em or sell em.

I pay $54 a month for full coverage. Medical is not much though I think only like 15k but I have health insurance too.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #28
beninja
ninjette.org member

Thank you everyone for posting, this is really good information. Although the variables between people may be different, it's good to get a rough idea.

I purchased brand new white fairings and a full bolt kit for $400!!

Craigslist for the win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
you know you have SE plastics? those are semi rare. Dont take the decals off. See if you can trade for em or sell em.

I pay $54 a month for full coverage. Medical is not much though I think only like 15k but I have health insurance too.
The plastics are bad, smalls holes, cracks, etc. Sadly, I don't think they have any value.

Last futzed with by beninja; December 10th, 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: typo

Old December 11th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #29
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

bummer

Old December 24th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #30
beninja
ninjette.org member

Here's what she looked like this morning. Super flat rear tire haha.

I stripped her today, and starting cleaning up and looking over things. She'll need another coolant reservoir because the current one is cracked. I moving the headlight housing and gauge to the new fairing, I'm waiting on my tire and chain to come in.

I'll get some nakked pics tomorrow morning until then here you go!

Old December 24th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #31
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Not the hugest fan of the front end on that generation ZX-6R, but I find the tail section (with stock exhaust) to be one of the sexiest on any sport bike. Either way it's a good looking bike all around! Those tiny headlights always struck me as super easy to tape up for a track day.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #32
beninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Not the hugest fan of the front end on that generation ZX-6R, but I find the tail section (with stock exhaust) to be one of the sexiest on any sport bike. Either way it's a good looking bike all around! Those tiny headlights always struck me as super easy to tape up for a track day.
I love the tail, the lines are so clean!

Moved the headlights, gauge to the new fairing. Here ya go!

Old December 25th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #33
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Excellent start so far. Cool pic.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #34
Jono

The white and red looks great! Can't wait to see it completed.

Old December 26th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #35
beninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
Excellent start so far. Cool pic.
Quote:
The white and red looks great! Can't wait to see it completed.
Thanks! I got the tank and the rear plastics on. Looking to cut the chain off and bleed the rear brake tomorrow.

Decided not to paint the tank, just switched out the plastics on the tank to the white ones.

Old December 27th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #36
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Looks sharp; congrats

And good luck with the insurance issue...
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #37
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

That looks like sex already. I'm definitely jealous lol
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #38
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Looking good with the white thus far, can't wait see what she looks like fully dressed.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #39
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Not much torque in this bike - change gearing for wheelies.

Old December 30th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #40
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I really dislike the 07/08 front end...