ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 21st, 2016, 02:23 PM   #1
nerissamyers
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nerissa

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250r

Riders in 77385 area

Hey I just got a used 2010 ninja. I don't know a ton about riding and I don't have my motorcycle license. Was wondering if there are any drivers in the Woodlands, Conroe, Spring area that would be willing to come and ride with me and teach me a little about the bike? Also would you get the permit, and then take the motorcycle riding test without spending $235 or would you pay to take safety course?
nerissamyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 02:41 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerissamyers View Post
Hey I just got a used 2010 ninja. I don't know a ton about riding and I don't have my motorcycle license. Was wondering if there are any drivers in the Woodlands, Conroe, Spring area that would be willing to come and ride with me and teach me a little about the bike? Also would you get the permit, and then take the motorcycle riding test without spending $235 or would you pay to take safety course?
I would pay to take the course.

You may get a discount on insurance, but you will most certainly be a better and safer rider by completing the course.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 03:09 PM   #3
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Pay for Le course.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 03:10 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Nerissa!

Take the course! I can say this because I have taught them. Don't even give it a second thought either. Watch this thread as it progresses, I would bet a big face 100 that most of everyone will advise the same. Overall, the benefits of taking the course at $235 far surpass the risks of NOT taking the course.

Oh!!! And more thing, welcome to the world of riding! Being new is truly one of the best time in your riding career, every experience is fresh, new and exciting.

ps... you found a good home here, the members of this board are extremely helpful, knowledgeable and most importantly, understanding that we all start somewhere and continue that decency well into your days as an experienced rider.

Best to you!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 21st, 2016, 05:58 PM   #5
nerissamyers
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Nerissa!

Take the course! I can say this because I have taught them. Don't even give it a second thought either. Watch this thread as it progresses, I would bet a big face 100 that most of everyone will advise the same. Overall, the benefits of taking the course at $235 far surpass the risks of NOT taking the course.

Oh!!! And more thing, welcome to the world of riding! Being new is truly one of the best time in your riding career, every experience is fresh, new and exciting.

ps... you found a good home here, the members of this board are extremely helpful, knowledgeable and most importantly, understanding that we all start somewhere and continue that decency well into your days as an experienced rider.

Best to you!
Thank you all soo much and if you have anymore suggestions please send them my way.

Old October 21st, 2016, 06:53 PM   #6
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

^^ learn to do basic maintenance and troubleshooting on your bike. It will save you lots of money and headaches!

Simple stuff like checking vital fluids, chain slack, condition of tires and their pressure, cables, and other minor things. This can also help prevent accidents and help keep vital systems on the bike in good shape for many miles of enjoyable riding.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2016, 07:38 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......... would you get the permit, and then take the motorcycle riding test without spending $235 or would you pay to take safety course?
Welcome, Nerissa !!!

Either way is just the beginning of learning to ride properly and safely.
The hard work starts after those first baby steps, after passing either test.
The dedication, education and patience required to master the art of riding is all on you; nobody could do it for you.

The education part will save you time and money if it comes from the correct source.
In other words, learn the correct skills, attitude and theory, which is much easier than learning those wrong, verify the hard way that there must be a better way, unlearn the wrong, just to learn the correct information at the end.

I recommend you this book:
Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough

I would follow this wise advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
.......... Overall, the benefits of taking the course at $235 far surpass the risks of NOT taking the course...........
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:24 AM   #8
nerissamyers
ninjette.org newbie

You all are just so awesome and I am loving all of the information.

Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:59 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Here's some more reading for you - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

Lots of good info here - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

I agree that you need to learn to do the basic work on your cycle yourself. That way you stay on top of what needs to be done and catch things before they become a problem - or dangerous.

I would suggest checking the age of the tires on your 2010. If they are original I would replace them. Good tires are one of the single biggest positive safety factors you can have. If you can't find the manufacture date, let us know and we'll help you.

Make sure you have all the gear - not just a helmet and jacket. Again, ask if you need guidance and someone will help you.

Welcome!

Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:02 PM   #10
nerissamyers
ninjette.org newbie

where can I get a stuff to change my oil? And where do I look for the date on the tires... Honestly I want to take the fairings off and clean up the bike.. Just a little nervous on how..

Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:04 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
where can I get a stuff to change my oil? And where do I look for the date on the tires... Honestly I want to take the fairings off and clean up the bike.. Just a little nervous on how..
I use WIX oil filters from NAPA (NAPA-brand filters are also made by WIX), but there are other options as well.

For oil, Shell Rotella T6 is a good choice and safe to use in a cycle (not all oils are). It's a diesel oil, and can be found almost everywhere for a reasonable cost.

The date on the tires are 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall like "2409" - which is the 24th week of 2009. If your tires are around that age it's time to replace them, no matter how much tread is left. If they are more than 4 years old it's generally accepted that they have lost a significant amount of their ability to provide traction and should be replaced. Most original tires are not that great when new, and after 4 years they have degraded.

I've replaced brand new cycle tires with 500 mi on them because I didn't like they way they felt, and never regretted it.

Tires are really important.

Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:35 AM   #12
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome, Nerissa!

I'd second the recommendation to take the safety course. You'll learn a lot.

And yeah, take the fairings off, look at everything, touch everything, get familiar with what it looks like normal so you notice anything that changes. Change your oil, read the manual, do all the things. I'd never taken a wrench to a bike before, but with my hubby's guidance and help, we've done all the maintenance so far. Oil change, valve check, random checking things out.

Oh, and on some of the more important nuts, I put a little mark with a paint pen so I know if the nut/bolt starts coming loose at all. Brake calipers, engine mount bolts, that kind of thing. I put a dot on the bike and a little line on the nut. I can tell immediately if anything starts moving.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #13
nerissamyers
ninjette.org newbie

Ok everyone when I got my bike I didn't have blinkers or a twilight. So I ordered some led for both. I got the flash relay and resistors. Today when I was wiring I attached the yellow wire from the backlight to the green wore and the yellow/black to the resistor and the other side of the resistor to the green wire. This worked and my light were blinking. I then decided to cover them with electrical tape and put some heat on the tape. Well I tried the signals again and now they don't blink at all be the front ones no longer some on. The backlight is no longer bright. The light is super dim and my bike no longer starts up. Please tell me what to do!! Did I blow a fuse?

Old October 29th, 2016, 06:46 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Ok everyone when I got my bike I didn't have blinkers or a twilight. So I ordered some led for both. I got the flash relay and resistors. Today when I was wiring I attached the yellow wire from the backlight to the green wore and the yellow/black to the resistor and the other side of the resistor to the green wire. This worked and my light were blinking. I then decided to cover them with electrical tape and put some heat on the tape. Well I tried the signals again and now they don't blink at all be the front ones no longer some on. The backlight is no longer bright. The light is super dim and my bike no longer starts up. Please tell me what to do!! Did I blow a fuse?
Sounds like you killed the battery. You will need to charge it at a low rate for a while, and it may need to be tested or replaced if it drains down easily.

This section has more info on your battery and charging - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Electrical_%26_Lighting

I would also search "Wire Splicing" for tips on the correct way to do it. There are a few ways that will work. Using heat shrink tubing over the repair is better than tape, but you nedd to make sure the wires are securely connected first.

Old November 2nd, 2016, 08:38 PM   #15
nerissamyers
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks everyone I got it all working

Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:50 AM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Thanks everyone I got it all working
Good to hear. What did you do?

Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:20 AM   #17
Paul A. Horn
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Honda

Sometimes your bike will be stuck in several cases like that, it makes you nervous. But actually, just because your bike needs recharging. Visit This Link and read more articles of batteries on that site, you will know when you need to recharge for your bike.

Old November 4th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #18
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Hi and Welcome

agree with everyone's suggestion here to pay for the riding course and then I'd also add that it is absolutely worth it to invest in proper riding gear and further riding education via some track days or reputable riding schools, (i'm a coach with one so I can help to answer any of your questions).

Learning proper riding technique asap and getting practice on a track will help you become a confident and safe rider and is always worth it if it prevents even one small crash. Never give up on learning, riding tech and more about your bike.

Happy and safe riding!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote