ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

My brother just wrecked his Ninja

Background : My younger brother got a used 2012 ninja 250 in March. Barely 2000 kms on it, brand new condition, worked perfectly. Since then he has lowsided twice[both times in front of me, once because of his own fault the other, not so much], rear ended someone somewhere once, did something else to it somewhere and well.....I have no idea what he did this time around.

His story: Sunny day, the sky was blue, birds were chirping...you get the general idea and he was riding normally[right......] when on a winding part of the road, the bike, kind of, sort of, somehow started to go towards the curb and he couldn't do anything about. Next thing he knows that he's doing a superman, lands 15 feet away and his ninja 10 feet away.

Given his previous 'adventures' with his ninja I wouldn't be surprised if there was something wrong with it,

Good thing, no serious injuries and despite the photographs he was able to ride it home as he was about 10 minutes away. Bad things, he's done for the season [you'll see why in a bit] and he'll have to get it repaired himself [don't get me started on why that is].

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM   #2
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Yicks! Did he ever take a MSF class?

Sounds like it may be helpful.

Thats a hell of a bend in the bars...

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:05 PM   #3
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

That's some serious damage... sounds like target fixation.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
Yicks! Did he ever take a MSF class?

Sounds like it may be helpful.

Thats a hell of a bend in the bars...
He didn't. Not that he would listen to anyone any ways.

Don't get me wrong, he is careful when he is riding most of times however he is, at times reckless and aggressive.

The main reason behind making this thread isn't to get him to listen[knowing him, he won't], it's for others to go
and then

I for one am glad that he's okay, could've been worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
That's some serious damage... sounds like target fixation.
Could be but I think it's more along the times of some mechanical problem because he's riden on that road everyday for a few months without any incidents[that I know of anyway]. I am not discounting the possibility of that happening however, l like I said, it's not the first time his Ninja went down.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM   #5
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Reading this, and realizing that each "incident" is different, and that he's had no training, I'm reminded of the saying "A poor workman blames his tools." I doubt it's the bikes fault, but I could be wrong.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Poor beautiful machine !!!

It seems that motorcycling is not and will not be for your little brother.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:50 PM   #7
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I would say that he might not me ready to ride now. I'll be the first to admit that it was a good thing that I didn't start riding a motorcycle until I was in my 30s. I didn't have the best impulse control when I was younger nor the maturity to realize that some decisions are permanent.

Get your brother into some sort of training and if he won't listen to anyone's advise then steer him away from motorcycling.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #8
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

wow that bike is fubar...

Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:00 AM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
get some track fairings on that bike, it's likely the ideal place for your brother to ride if he would like to continue riding. There are so many advantages to tracking a bike it's unreal, and one of the most important ones is run off areas. It's a lot safer to ride a motorcycle at speed on a track than on the streets, though I doubt he's truly ridden it at speed if he has no training

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:52 AM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Yikes -_-
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:02 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
So he won't tell you what happened?

that many incidents in that short of time tells me perhaps riding is not for your brother..... at least not yet. Consider it luck, sheer luck and nothing else that he hasn't seriously hurt himself yet.

You would be smart to convince him to hang it up or take the time and get him proper training be it track or lots of one on one time

just my 2 cents.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:20 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Clearly, it's time to upgrade to an R6.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:32 AM   #13
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
With that much damage? Be serious, he overshot it

I would go directly for a BMW S1000RR, Ducati 119 Paningale R.

Seriously, he should do something about his riding... He's been able to walk away up to now, but in the future, and for the health of the ones surrounding him...

You don't need any motorcycle course to get your license in Ontario? I'm surprised...

Glad he was able to ride it home...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:59 AM   #14
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I once came close to running off a corner on my way to work that I had ridden through a million times, not because I was speeding, not because anything was wrong with the bike or the road surface, but simply because I was thinking about anything but riding my motorcycle. Maybe this is what happened to your brother. It was a similar feeling to what he described. I'm riding along in a zombie trance, and suddenly I realize I am running wide.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:29 PM   #15
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
With that much damage? Be serious, he overshot it

I would go directly for a BMW S1000RR, Ducati 119 Paningale R.

Seriously, he should do something about his riding... He's been able to walk away up to now, but in the future, and for the health of the ones surrounding him...

You don't need any motorcycle course to get your license in Ontario? I'm surprised...

Glad he was able to ride it home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Pffft!

On a serious note, There are MSF courses here and it's recommended to take one after you get your temp M1 license, however it's not essential to go through it. It's easier to but given the fact that it is about $500 some people do not do it. Taking it decreases the overall duration of the process of getting a full M license, however at this stage at least[I'll have to check for it requirement status at the M2 level] it's not mandatory.

About his riding. Now the reason why me saying won't really matter that much, for the past few years me and him and have been completely financially independent. I'm 24, he's 19. We live on our own, pay our own rent, take care of our own expenses and because of that he considers himself answerable to none, also since he is 19, he won't really listen to reason most of the time. He does listen but only when his reason is on the same plane as mine.
The one good thing I am taking away from this is that he won't be riding anymore this year and hopefully will be a bit more mature next season regarding his riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
get some track fairings on that bike, it's likely the ideal place for your brother to ride if he would like to continue riding. There are so many advantages to tracking a bike it's unreal, and one of the most important ones is run off areas. It's a lot safer to ride a motorcycle at speed on a track than on the streets, though I doubt he's truly ridden it at speed if he has no training

It's interesting you brought this up. Out of the two of us, he is more natural at any and everything automobile. He has always been fearless, more at ease on any vehicle and honestly has more natural skill than me; that being said, he is young, reckless and aggressive[at times].

However that being the case, I am the one who is thinking of going to the track next season when I convert my 250 into a track bike and maybe get a 6R if I am ready for it.[which is still quite a way away as I have to still learn a lot on my 250]. I do wish for him to do it but I can't force him to do something he isn't willing to do.

Quote:
Quote:
Poor beautiful machine !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
I would say that he might not me ready to ride now. I'll be the first to admit that it was a good thing that I didn't start riding a motorcycle until I was in my 30s. I didn't have the best impulse control when I was younger nor the maturity to realize that some decisions are permanent.

Get your brother into some sort of training and if he won't listen to anyone's advise then steer him away from motorcycling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
So he won't tell you what happened?

that many incidents in that short of time tells me perhaps riding is not for your brother..... at least not yet. Consider it luck, sheer luck and nothing else that he hasn't seriously hurt himself yet.

You would be smart to convince him to hang it up or take the time and get him proper training be it track or lots of one on one time

just my 2 cents.
I agree with you guys. I'll try to steer him towards track but I don't think he'll actually be interested until he sees it right in front of him. Fingers crossed for him growing some sense soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
I once came close to running off a corner on my way to work that I had ridden through a million times, not because I was speeding, not because anything was wrong with the bike or the road surface, but simply because I was thinking about anything but riding my motorcycle. Maybe this is what happened to your brother. It was a similar feeling to what he described. I'm riding along in a zombie trance, and suddenly I realize I am running wide.
Could be. I think that is something every has to be careful around. Familiarity with a route breeds overconfidence on a subconscious level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Reading this, and realizing that each "incident" is different, and that he's had no training, I'm reminded of the saying "A poor workman blames his tools." I doubt it's the bikes fault, but I could be wrong.
I am the first one to chastise anyone who does the same. A tool is a tool, it does what it is made to do. The only reason why I am giving him the benefit of the doubt is because what his ninja had gone through previously and there is a slight, very slight possibility of something being wrong with it.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:49 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
.........I agree with you guys. I'll try to steer him towards track but I don't think he'll actually be interested until he sees it right in front of him. Fingers crossed for him growing some sense soon..........
Do more than crossing your fingers and hoping.
Read this book; I recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Change-Min.../dp/1609948297

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:00 PM   #17
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Do more than crossing your fingers and hoping.
Read this book; I recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Change-Min.../dp/1609948297

Interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM   #18
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
Based on the comment about having to fix it himself, I would wager to guess that he may not have a license (and therefore no insurance.)
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:29 PM   #19
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Based on the comment about having to fix it himself, I would wager to guess that he may not have a license (and therefore no insurance.)
As far as the license is concerned, I went with him to get my M1[it was his second time giving that since he wasn't able to give the M1 exit on time] and we both passed and got our M1's.
The insurance situation is something different. Either way, having to get it taken care of himself should knock some, if not more, sense into him.