ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old November 7th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #1
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
East Coast/Midatlantic Leather Tailor?

Can anyone recommend a tailor for racing leather alterations on the east coast, preferably mid-atlantic? I'm near DC, but quality is worth traveling for (if I have to). As often as I see threads about sizing recommendations, I really wonder what human these things actually fit off the rack. I'll be he's terrifying.

Old November 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
http://www.racingleather.com/

Contact him and tell him what you need. Box up your stuff and send it to him. Tell him an "assfaultjunkie" sent ya. He has been doing our alterations, repairs and custom jobs for 10yrs. He is cheap, fast and it's top quality work.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 10th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #3
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
I appreciate the recommendation. I inquired and got a response pretty quickly:
Quote:
depending on the model and if the shoulder and knee armor does remove it's almost impossible to alter these suits with good results. my best advice is to send it to dainese ( on the west coast) for these alterations or to sell this suit to someone that fits it and buy another. I think you'll be ahead in the long run.
Not exactly full of hope.

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

I haven't used her services, but she is well regarded by others.

http://lizzyleather.com/
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #5
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by inapexveritas View Post
I haven't used her services, but she is well regarded by others.

http://lizzyleather.com/
Thank you. I did come across her site, but didn't contact her. At least it would be a short drive.

I did contact Dainese, and they replied that they'd happily make me a new custom suit (at full price, of course), but won't touch their own off the rack product. At the moment I'm just keeping the ebay listing open in my browser so I can add daily disappointment to my winter. A bunch of views, a handful of watchers, but no buyers.

Old December 7th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Don't that suck...

So what doesn't fit about the suit?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #7
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Yeah I'm curious what doesn't fit you as well. Dianese size 52 fits me like a glove.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #8
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
What I imagine are common short stocky athletic guy problems (and what I encounter with nearly every off the rack item and shouldn't have been optimistic about). It's been a month or so since I've tried it on, but iirc:
  • Lots of room around the waist
  • Extra length in the femoral portion of the leg
The shoulders are snug. The sleeves fit my ape arms imo - 66 inches tall is what I typically report , and my reach/tip-to-tip is 70inches, sleeve length 24in. The lower leg could maybe be a tiny bit shorter, but it doesn't interfere with boots or anything. Calves are super snug, like just-before-discomfort-snug.

All the hard armor stays where it should. The fit is good enough to live with...as long as I'm not thinking about the grand I spent on an imperfect fit. I don't drink, but perhaps it's some consolation that I could strap on a beer gut or some epic love handles and might not need another suit

The size problems I have are predictable. Cant buy a fitting shirt off the rack, why would I be able to buy a 1 piece leather suit? The sequence of tailors unwilling to take my money caught me by surprise. I really like the double zippers though, lol.