ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:48 AM   #81
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
aw, really? I like that cute lil' winky face and stubby turn signals

To me, what you have with the ninja 300 is, 2 primary heavy laser cannons mounted up top. Only one is active normally, but you can always flip the hazard switch up and power up dual heavys for when things get nasty. Then ya got your light gauss rifles mounted below and to the sides for smaller prey. A perfect arsenal for any unexpected encounter...

Err well that's just my take on the lights on the 300....

Glad you managed to utilize your experience as a stuntman to roll out of that mostly unscathed. Good luck with the insurance guys and finding your next ninja!
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:54 AM   #82
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Question

So does anyone know if riding with a camera on help lower your insurance premiums?
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #83
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiLionheart View Post
To me, what you have with the ninja 300 is, 2 primary heavy laser cannons mounted up top. Only one is active normally, but you can always flip the hazard switch up and power up dual heavys for when things get nasty. Then ya got your light gauss rifles mounted below and to the sides for smaller prey. A perfect arsenal for any unexpected encounter...

Err well that's just my take on the lights on the 300....

Glad you managed to utilize your experience as a stuntman to roll out of that mostly unscathed. Good luck with the insurance guys and finding your next ninja!
*giggle* ok, that made me laugh. pew pew laser cats :P I guess this is where I get outed as a nerd.

And yeah, years of gymnastics during my elementary school years definitely came into play; I didn't realize I had instinctively tucked into that roll until afterwards -- muscle memory is weird. And to think I just took it because I thought it was pretty :P I should carried a ribbon, huh? Sadly the judges would take points off -- I didn't stick the landing.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:32 AM   #84
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hey, show me any gymnast that gets a running start up to 30 mph and sticks that landing and then maybe you can get down on yourself for not landing it. Otherwise I think the judges will understand :P

And glad my nerdy laser eye references were appreciated!
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:47 AM   #85
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
So does anyone know if riding with a camera on help lower your insurance premiums?
Call up Progressive, ask if their Snapshot device will work for 2 wheels as well as 4. Some have saved, others not so much.

It's my gut feeling that cameras and insurance review will not vet out well for the insured. Case by case judgment is required inho.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:00 PM   #86
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Did the driver not come out to see if you were ok?

Just read the whole thread, seems like you said he did, i'm surpirsed he didn't sooner.

100% not your fault, as he was crossing over your lane of traffic and given he only has the right do so when the road is clear he is in the wrong, maybe you could have slowed down a bit, but he didn't look, which often leads to cagers saying "they came out of nowhere! They must have been speeding!" When really they just didn't see you.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM   #87
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Did the driver not come out to see if you were ok?
I think I said earlier in this thread, but his first words were along the lines of "what happened? why didn't you stop?" but he did ask if I was okay after that. His car was also towed from the scene.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:12 PM   #88
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I think I said earlier in this thread, but his first words were along the lines of "what happened? why didn't you stop?" but he did ask if I was okay after that. His car was also towed from the scene.
This is a very common type of accident, this campaign was aired here and helped a lot with reducing collisions. All the Think! Bike campaigns are very well done.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:17 PM   #89
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Glad to see you're alright. I'd personally look at the 300, or maybe a ktm 390.

Just a general observation, don't drive in the right lane with entrances and exits all over the place unless you're turning. The design of the road in those situations is the left is passing, middle is cruise, right is for entrance and exit. You can see you were putting yourself in danger starting with the white van.

This is especially true in a motorcycle, but I follow the same rule in a car.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM   #90
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

This one, while a little cheesy is excellent, they played this to us at my CBT course, very good information.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #91
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
This is a very common type of accident, this campaign was aired here and helped a lot with reducing collisions. All the Think! Bike campaigns are very well done.
Yeah, the core problem here I think is the structure of the road I was on -- it forks about 1/4 mile ahead of this point, the right lane goes one way and the two left another. That makes 'traffic jams' on the left side but nobody in the right common. What happened here is that such a jam was occuring, cars left him room from those lanes to turn in -- he assumed all 3 lanes were jammed and just went through blindly. During our interview he insisted all the lanes were stopped, but as the video shows my lane was wide open. I actually was starting to doubt myself he was so insistent but I knew I had it on film and I'm glad I did.

After watching it several times I'm convinced I would've had the same accident in my Fit (Jazz to everywhere else in the world) if I had been driving it instead of my Ninja.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:22 PM   #92
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Glad to see you're alright. I'd personally look at the 300, or maybe a ktm 390.

Just a general observation, don't drive in the right lane with entrances and exits all over the place unless you're turning. The design of the road in those situations is the left is passing, middle is cruise, right is for entrance and exit. You can see you were putting yourself in danger starting with the white van.

This is especially true in a motorcycle, but I follow the same rule in a car.
Decent advice -- but I was in the right for a reason: that's the direction of the fork I needed to take just past the light after this accident.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:27 PM   #93
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Busted out MS Paint! I got skillz!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotarumap.jpg (85.1 KB, 21 views)

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM   #94
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
This one, while a little cheesy is excellent, they played this to us at my CBT course, very good information.
Great video; but in this case I don't think those would've helped -- the real issue is any vehicle in the far right would have been invisible behind the two other lanes of traffic (it is kind of similar to the truck scene in this way, but that looked like he was splitting forward and not in a dedicated lane). I just have to watch for this kind of thing in the future and slow down to prep for it.

Plus I could have just as easily been in the fast lane, had someone pulling OUT of the driveway to turn left across traffic in the same manner and never have seen me.

My lesson is to be ultra-mega wary if different lanes are moving/not moving or even just at different enough speeds.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #95
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
My lesson is to be ultra-mega wary if different lanes are moving/not moving or even just at different enough speeds.
I think that is the right thing to take way. I try never to pass other cars faster then 10 MPH unless I am following someone who is clearing the way for me.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:40 PM   #96
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
Busted out MS Paint! I got skillz!
Eep. I was riding over there a couple weekends back.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:46 PM   #97
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Eep. I was riding over there a couple weekends back.
Well ride safe around there! No repeats!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM   #98
EternalNewb

Roger! Will attempt to avoid. Fortunately I haven't been driving around there too often.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #99
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

He wouldn't have seen anything smaller than the Forerunner in time. I could barely see him even after watching the video a few times. The other cars looked they had tinted rears which wouldn't have helped either. He could have crawled across two lanes and then re-checked/peeked instead of just using the Force.

Maybe you can pick up a Costco Ninja 300 to replace your 250. Slight consolation...

You know what, I just looked on google maps and it looks like he might have crossed a double yellow. It's very close. [Edit: I meant two double yellows]

Scary video. Good to hear you're doing ok.

Last futzed with by algs26; February 23rd, 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: correction
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #100
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
..........I just have to watch for this kind of thing in the future and slow down to prep for it.
Another thing to consider is the Sun's position during the early morning (this case) and the late afternoon.

According to the shades shown in the video, the driver had the Sun shinning just above the direction in which Yakaru was approaching.

Even if he had tried to take the time to carefully see and to slowly move the car (not in this case, obviously), he could have missed the small silhouette of the bike at all.

Be extra careful friends, when you see your bikes' shadow extending well ahead.
If the Sun is blinding you, is also blinding the driver following you and he/she may not be able to see that brake or directional light.

As for the rider, this is the perfect situation to be covering the brake controls, even to be setting the brake lightly to keep the disc and pads hot and some of the weight transferred onto the front patch.

Estimating the distance between the point at which the car was visible and the point of impact being around 60 feet; it was unlikely that Yakaru could have avoided the impact, according to this table (to stop from 35 mph, around 85 feet would have been necessary):

http://www.bikesafer.com/detail/braketime.html

Those distances are what determine our speed for each condition: how far we can spot danger > how far we can stop at that speed

Last futzed with by Motofool; February 23rd, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #101
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Decent advice -- but I was in the right for a reason: that's the direction of the fork I needed to take just past the light after this accident.
yup... sounds like you were in the right lane for where you were heading...

it was just a general comment for everyone to consider... even if there's fewer cars over there, stay away. It's just unnecessary danger when there's lots of entrances and exits. Riding safe is all about avoiding typical accident situations in the first place.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM   #102
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
yup... sounds like you were in the right lane for where you were heading...

it was just a general comment for everyone to consider... even if there's fewer cars over there, stay away. It's just unnecessary danger when there's lots of entrances and exits. Riding safe is all about avoiding typical accident situations in the first place.
Yep, lesson learned. Also I love your name, if I've never mentioned it. I have a soft spot for da foxies!

So I went by the site of the incident an hour ago. Not only did he not give right-of-way but the left turn was illegal -- the road is a double-yellow solid in both directions for a good long while and all the entrances/exits on the road say no-left-turn. Doesn't mean that I shouldn't have watched out for it -- idiots will be idiots -- but it does help if I need it. Photos will be taken tomorrow for my records.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM   #103
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
You know what, I just looked on google maps and it looks like he might have crossed a double yellow. It's very close.
good eye
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM   #104
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
..........Not only did he not give right-of-way but the left turn was illegal -- the road is a double-yellow solid in both directions for a good long while and all the entrances/exits on the road say no-left-turn..........
He was blocking both turning lanes for the traffic light while waiting for a chance to turn.

The marginal visibility for that left turn, even for moderate traffic, makes it really dangerous.

The driver must have been very hungry for that Subway!
All he had to do was keep going and making a U-turn at the traffic light.

I really hope that the driver will not try to evade his responsibility and blame the rider.

Did anybody noticed that the impact pushed the nose of the car to be non-perpendicular with the road?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yakaru accident.jpg (88.0 KB, 13 views)

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #105
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
So this is what I've been working on for my Saturday -- when I went to download the accident I saw that I hadn't connected my Contour up for a few days and I had my ride up Topanga and Mullholland on it as well as the collision. It's stupid, it's cheesy, and it's boring. I'm probably the only one who really cares -- but it is literally the only video I ever got of doing something other than commuting around town.

... I'll miss you little firefly.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:56 PM   #106
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
He was blocking both turning lanes for the traffic light while waiting for a chance to turn.

The marginal visibility for that left turn, even for moderate traffic, makes it really dangerous.

The driver must have been very hungry for that Subway!
All he had to do was keep going and making a U-turn at the traffic light.
Looks like there's a no U-turn sign at that light. Still doesn't excuse him.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:09 PM   #107
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Another thing to consider is the Sun's position during the early morning (this case) and the late afternoon.

According to the shades shown in the video, the driver had the Sun shinning just above the direction in which Yakaru was approaching.

Even if he had tried to take the time to carefully see and to slowly move the car (not in this case, obviously), he could have missed the small silhouette of the bike at all.

Be extra careful friends, when you see your bikes' shadow extending well ahead.
If the Sun is blinding you, is also blinding the driver following you and he/she may not be able to see that brake or directional light.

As for the rider, this is the perfect situation to be covering the brake controls, even to be setting the brake lightly to keep the disc and pads hot and some of the weight transferred onto the front patch.

Estimating the distance between the point at which the car was visible and the point of impact being around 60 feet; it was unlikely that Yakaru could have avoided the impact, according to this table (to stop from 35 mph, around 85 feet would have been necessary):

http://www.bikesafer.com/detail/braketime.html

Those distances are what determine our speed for each condition: how far we can spot danger > how far we can stop at that speed
Great post Moto; I'm ashamed to admit I think I would've needed more than that 85 feet -- as I said, I was a bit in 'lala cruising land' and this was NOT a situation I was prepared for. Someone lane changing I watch the front tires, but not a left turner in that traffic; so my reaction time was delayed on top of not covering the brake, not going slower, and the apparently illegal blind turn from the other driver. I could have prevented this, but only by not letting the situation develop not by being faster on the controls.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #108
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
So this is what I've been working on for my Saturday -- when I went to download the accident I saw that I hadn't connected my Contour up for a few days and I had my ride up Topanga and Mullholland on it as well as the collision. It's stupid, it's cheesy, and it's boring. I'm probably the only one who really cares -- but it is literally the only video I ever got of doing something other than commuting around town.

... I'll miss you little firefly.

Damn I think I may have just cried a little

By the way you were going pretty good on those roads regardless of how many miles you had on Hotaru.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:15 PM   #109
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.....I'm probably the only one who really cares -- but it is literally the only video I ever got of doing something other than commuting around town....
Beautiful music,...........I love it; thanks for sharing the vid

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM   #110
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Damn I think I may have just cried a little

By the way you were going pretty good on those roads regardless of how many miles you had on Hotaru.
Thanks rojo; I won't lie, I had to take more than one break combing through the footage because I was crying. She was a good bike.

And thanks for the compliment; I was just trying to focus on my turning technique; my first time on that route I had some scary moments so I was trying to obey the rule to always have something in reserve and just get her leaned over without getting uncomfortable. I could have gone faster but then I could've done something stupid (crossed the centerline, hit the brakes as an SR, etc.). It's a real honor to hear that you don't think I'm half bad. When I get a new bike I'll try to do this route again in her honor

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:37 PM   #111
EternalNewb

I think I did tear up a little when I watched that video. Kawaiisou. Beautiful video and music selection though.

On a different note, did you ever get checked out by a doctor?

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:45 PM   #112
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
I think I did tear up a little when I watched that video. Kawaiisou. Beautiful video and music selection though.

On a different note, did you ever get checked out by a doctor?
Thanks Newb. And yes I did, I went to a clinic run by UCLA and got checked out. We went over my spine and neck, checked for concussion (memory, hand-eye, etc.), and did a general body over 'does this hurt'. I've got a bit of soft tissue damage over my right side, but nothing that won't heal up with bed rest. He advised me if anything new happens or anything gets worse to get it checked immediately but otherwise I got a clean bill of health.

It looks like my biggest advantage is that I'm literally a 95 lb girl -- less energy to disperse, less of me to get caught on the bike/car/whatever. If I were heavier I would probably have been hurt more.

Oh, and since it's fun news -- the doc said my hand-eye-coordination was the best he's ever seen, not even just for someone who had been in a motorcycle wreck Looks like my lifetime of gymnastics and video games has paid off for something!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:48 PM   #113
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The 300 has a "passing light" button that could be of use to you in the future. It's basically just a trigger button for the high-beams so you can quickly flash them if you ever need to. Might be useful for getting a car's attention in a similar situation later.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:52 PM   #114
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
The 300 has a "passing light" button that could be of use to you in the future. It's basically just a trigger button for the high-beams so you can quickly flash them if you ever need to. Might be useful for getting a car's attention in a similar situation later.
Interesting -- how does it work if the high beams are already on? I was advised in MSF to always have them on during daylight. And to be a broken record -- don't think it would've helped here, the only real solution to this incident was for me to go slower; but for other things I can see it being a super great way to attract visibility (currently my main technique is to 'sway' from left to right when I approach a car waiting to turn and such)

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:54 PM   #115
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I actually don't know since I don't usually drive with the high-beams on. I shall go check right now!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #116
EternalNewb

Glad to hear you're doing ok. And sweet on the hand-eye coordination assessment. Any verdict on which bike you'll get next?

I weave to get attention, too, when it seems like someone may be about to turn in front of me. It seems like drivers don't notice us tiny bikers at all. What really gets to me though is when they come up fast on your tail at a red light or stop sign. Someone did that to me on the way home from work today, on a downhill, and I kept wishing for a red high beam on my backside to flash at them.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:01 PM   #117
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Well, looks like the passing light feature doesn't work when the high beams are already on. Probably expected. I would weave back and forth to get attention if approaching an intersection as well. I mainly use the passing light for while I'm lane splitting which is a moot point since you're not in CA.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:05 PM   #118
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Glad to hear you're doing ok. And sweet on the hand-eye coordination assessment. Any verdict on which bike you'll get next?

I weave to get attention, too, when it seems like someone may be about to turn in front of me. It seems like drivers don't notice us tiny bikers at all. What really gets to me though is when they come up fast on your tail at a red light or stop sign. Someone did that to me on the way home from work today, on a downhill, and I kept wishing for a red high beam on my backside to flash at them.
I REALLY want a new 2012 250 -- I love how they look, I know how they work... but when I pull my heart out just a bit there's no reason to get one over a 300. With the fact I regularly ride between Vegas and LA the extra top end would be super useful and odds are at this point the after market for the 250 is going to shift over time. My main complaint about the 300 is appearance, but maybe a really nice 3rd party street fairing will come out. The other is fuel injection -- technically it may be better but I kinda liked being in the carbs and seeing 'how it really works' with my own two hands. So it looks like it'll be a Black 300.

From calling around and trying the CostCo program it looks like picking one up in Cali will run me ~$6300 (plus whatever I'd have to 'double pay' when I got her registered in Nevada) and in Vegas will be ~$6000. I'll see if I can negotiate that down any. I really suck at haggling though, I'm too soft-hearted.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:09 PM   #119
EternalNewb

Ugh, I feel your pain on the soft-hearted note, but I'm working on it. Sounds like waiting to get one in Vegas may be in your best interest. As much as I love the 250, the reasoning behind getting a 300 is completely sound. Anyway, I hope you can get back in the saddle as soon as possible. How long are you stuck in California?

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:10 PM   #120
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Well, looks like the passing light feature doesn't work when the high beams are already on. Probably expected. I would weave back and forth to get attention if approaching an intersection as well. I mainly use the passing light for while I'm lane splitting which is a moot point since you're not in CA.
I'm actually in California quite a bit -- I live in Nevada but my employer's main office is in Santa Monica. I usually spend 1 week at work in Cali and the next week from home in Vegas. I <3 lane splitting. It's especially handy heading back to Vegas on a Friday -- it is basically LA's de-facto weekend get away and the traffic jams can get nutty.