ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #1
daisha
ninjette.org member

Name: Daisha

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250, 14 FZ-09

Someone tipped my bike at work!

I have a large gouge on the right fairing, with damage to the left side and a very wobbly blinker. My thoughts - someone opened their door into my bike and tipped it over. They picked it back up and put the turn signal back in, but its still loose. Damage to both sides, left no note.
Just bought the bike two weeks ago Friday and it was in perfect shape
We have CCTV here at work but the cops are saying that they don't see anything on the tape and they won't let me look at it for privacy reasons (federal police suck!!)
This is my first bike and I am not too handy on repairs, so I need advice. Worth fixing it? Or wait and see if I pull a newb move and cause more serious damage? (there's a reason I went with a cheaper bike, not a brand new one...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (93.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (104.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (107.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (127.5 KB, 8 views)
daisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #2
KennethJay
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2010

Damn.. I hope you find the mofo who did this ! Make them pay for the repairs!
KennethJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisha View Post
I have a large gouge on the right fairing, with damage to the left side and a very wobbly blinker. My thoughts - someone opened their door into my bike and tipped it over. They picked it back up and put the turn signal back in, but its still loose. Damage to both sides, left no note.
Just bought the bike two weeks ago Friday and it was in perfect shape
We have CCTV here at work but the cops are saying that they don't see anything on the tape and they won't let me look at it for privacy reasons (federal police suck!!)
This is my first bike and I am not too handy on repairs, so I need advice. Worth fixing it? Or wait and see if I pull a newb move and cause more serious damage? (there's a reason I went with a cheaper bike, not a brand new one...)
Should be covered under comprehensive/uninsured motorist....if you have that coverage....if not then i hope saving an extra 20 bucks on your insurance bill was worth it.

Regardless of wanting to fix it or not, contact your insurance company and get paid
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Tis a shame but you learned to not park so close to the door.

I would leave it for a while, someone may own up to it, doubt it... but not worth fixing just yet if your new. However, do get your signals mounted up so you don't have to worry about those falling out while riding.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #5
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Tis a shame but you learned to not park so close to the door.

I would leave it for a while, someone may own up to it, doubt it... but not worth fixing just yet if your new. However, do get your signals mounted up so you don't have to worry about those falling out while riding.
My best shot is the police actually looking at the tapes. I work at a VA hospital and I was in the employee lot. Everyone has stickers, so if they can even identify the model of the car, they could find them. Its just a matter of getting them to release the info to me... Which they don't seem to want to do!
I wasn't even close to the door! Its just a busy lot, apparently people don't watch what they are doing at 6:30AM....

As far as insurance: I don't know that it would be worth making a claim for, since I would have a deductible and all that lovely stuff...

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
My best shot is the police actually looking at the tapes. I work at a VA hospital and I was in the employee lot. Everyone has stickers, so if they can even identify the model of the car, they could find them. Its just a matter of getting them to release the info to me... Which they don't seem to want to do!
I wasn't even close to the door! Its just a busy lot, apparently people don't watch what they are doing at 6:30AM....

As far as insurance: I don't know that it would be worth making a claim for, since I would have a deductible and all that lovely stuff...
Not always the case, but often comprehensive deductible is $250 or lower. You probably have more damage than that, then factor in labor costs.

just something to consider. I got rear ended once in parking lot and it was just a blemish on my bumper barely noticeable. Put in claim, paid my $250, got a check for $500 for refurbished bumper + labor, $250 into my pocket
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Employee parking lot, go after the VA for damages, then the incident will show up on tape.

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Not always the case, but often comprehensive deductible is $250 or lower. You probably have more damage than that, then factor in labor costs.

just something to consider. I got rear ended once in parking lot and it was just a blemish on my bumper barely noticeable. Put in claim, paid my $250, got a check for $500 for refurbished bumper + labor, $250 into my pocket
I'll definitely keep it in mind. If nothing is cracked though, I am tempted to just deal with it. I am more worried about what I might do being a new rider! Any clue on how much I'd be looking at to get it fixed? I have absolutely no clue what these bikes cost to work on... Total newb here...

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #9
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Employee parking lot, go after the VA for damages, then the incident will show up on tape.
Can't. They aren't held liable for any damages to vehicles on the property. Gotta love working for the govt...

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #10
Mawties
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 - Gloss Green (Stolen)

Someone did the same thing to me at one of the school parking lots on campus a few months ago.

I've yet to get it fixed because my deductible (because of my age) is far higher than it would cost to do the repairs myself.

Being that I don't have enough money for either my right turn signal has been hanging by a thread and there's a chunk of my left fairing missing as well.
Luckily there was no mechanical damage but I've priced a few fairings on ebay and the like and have found that for my bike (2012 250) used, the fairings are about 120$ before shipping costs. So probably around 170$ depending on where it's coming from.

I haven't found a site that sells them new for a decent price so if anyone has that information I'd love to have it as well.
Mawties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #11
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawties View Post
Someone did the same thing to me at one of the school parking lots on campus a few months ago.

I've yet to get it fixed because my deductible (because of my age) is far higher than it would cost to do the repairs myself.

Being that I don't have enough money for either my right turn signal has been hanging by a thread and there's a chunk of my left fairing missing as well.
Luckily there was no mechanical damage but I've priced a few fairings on ebay and the like and have found that for my bike (2012 250) used, the fairings are about 120$ before shipping costs. So probably around 170$ depending on where it's coming from.

I haven't found a site that sells them new for a decent price so if anyone has that information I'd love to have it as well.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at too. Apparently 22 year olds are expensive to insure. I'll probably just stick it out for now. At least its just scratched, there isn't anything broken off or cracked. Still makes me mad though! Who does that!?!

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #12
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
get the tape through the Freedom of information act
http://www.foia.gov/
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #13
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:

120 is way cheap. The main side fairings are usually around 250 new.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #14
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I just hate it when people do that. I can't imagine how annoying it must be not being able to take a look at the clips. But I can indeed imagine the vivid spectrum of emotions you'd be going through till you can actually get it fixed. Anyways on a more wishful note lets just hope Karma has a field day with whoever did that to you

Btw, welcome to the club!

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #15
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Get an estimate on how much it will cost to fix. Most garages will give you a free estimate on repairs. If it's good amount, consider filing a claim w/ your insurance. Since you have a police report filed you have the complicated part done. Your insurance company will get a copy of that from the police and they will also review the security tape on your behalf (if they can pin the damage on someone else, they will). The only issue I can think of is whether or not your insurance will go up (mine did not). I'd like to think it won't, since you weren't on the bike at the time but doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck. BTW, the scratches suck, but get a small bottle of touch-up for the paint and keep the insurance check for something else b/c chances are you will drop the bike again. Good luck.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Mawties
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
120 is way cheap. The main side fairings are usually around 250 new.
Yeah that was a used price on ebay where there may be a few scratches on the bottom of it and there's a little bit of wear and tear just through obvious use.

I haven't found a new one anywhere near 250$, I'm pretty sure I could change it over if I had one it doesn't seem that overly complicated (plus there's the excellent step by step with pictures on this forum) so I am in the market for one assuming I can ever get the funds together.

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #17
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah that was a used price on ebay where there may be a few scratches on the bottom of it and there's a little bit of wear and tear just through obvious use.

I haven't found a new one anywhere near 250$, I'm pretty sure I could change it over if I had one it doesn't seem that overly complicated (plus there's the excellent step by step with pictures on this forum) so I am in the market for one assuming I can ever get the funds together.
Yeah, for the small scrapes in mine, I might end up with something worse with a used one and the new ones cost more than my deductible.

Still no word from the police on the video, they claim that they went through the whole thing and didn't see anything other than me coming into the lot, putting on my disc lock and leaving the lot. DAMN!

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:40 AM   #18
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
It was never on its side on tape?

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #19
daisha
ninjette.org member

They claim it wasn't ever laid down on camera. I don't know how someone could tip it and it pick it back up again in the 5 seconds the camera pans through the lot, but I guess it is entirely possible. Or the police saw who did it and just aren't telling me to avoid the headache. We get a lot of random vets parking in the employee lot (gotta love it when most of your patient population is 60+ and shouldn't still be driving) so there's a chance it was a patient. If that's the case, there isn't a thing I could do about it.

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #20
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
It was never on its side on tape?
Sounds like a cover-up to me.

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #21
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry1024 View Post
Sounds like a cover-up to me.
Agreed. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about it if I want to keep my job...

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #22
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Cops did it
http://www.foia.gov/

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #23
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Hah, now I am at a point weighing the damage vs. my job... I have a feeling if an employee files FOIA against VA police, you are just asking for trouble... I'm waiting for the friendlier cop to start his shift this afternoon, I think he might be more helpful than the surly one on the morning shift. I'll keep you all updated on what happens.

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #24
xSean13

Quote:

It's ridiculously easy to remove the fairings yourself.

Amazon listings, idk which side you need, or if yours is SE or not:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+green+fairing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-12-NINJ...9255cd&vxp=mtr

And here's a used one with minor damage for $200 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-12-NINJ...312926&vxp=mtr

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #25
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

That sucks big time!!! Some people can be SO careless... Good luck fixing her up.

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #26
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Im excited to see how this plays out.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #27
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Hah, now I am at a point weighing the damage vs. my job... I have a feeling if an employee files FOIA against VA police, you are just asking for trouble... I'm waiting for the friendlier cop to start his shift this afternoon, I think he might be more helpful than the surly one on the morning shift. I'll keep you all updated on what happens.
Hope the nice cop is more helpful. GL!

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #28
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

She has pregen. Arnt those fairings usually hard to find?

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #29
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLick415 View Post
She has pregen. Arnt those fairings usually hard to find?
That seems to be what I am running into. More motivation to just deal with the small scrapes and hope I don't do anything worse to it!

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #30
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

These guys are giving you terrible advice...

You should not fix this damage through insurance or otherwise. You're new and still in the realm where mistakes not only happen but are common. That side panel plastic alone is around $400 and insurance will want a new one, a new turn signal, a new muffler and anything else with a scratch on it. Scratches are not worth paying $250 to fix - especially with the position you're in as a newer rider. If the cops can help you that's great but don't pay a dime for anything.

I didn't read all of the posts (mostly yours actually) but this is not damage worth risking any job for. Welcome to riding and be safe and aware out there. Wear all of your gear all of the time!
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #31
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
max is right. you'll probably have something down the road that will lead to more damage. best to just shrug off the little things as facts of life.

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #32
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Yeah I wouldnt worry about it. The first one's always hard to swallow but you'll get over it.

But now that I really think about it, isn't it kind of hard to knock a bike over with a car door? And they said they didn't see anything on video. I'm starting to think this didn't happen where you thought it happened.

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #33
daisha
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLick415 View Post
Yeah I wouldnt worry about it. The first one's always hard to swallow but you'll get over it.

But now that I really think about it, isn't it kind of hard to knock a bike over with a car door? And they said they didn't see anything on video. I'm starting to think this didn't happen where you thought it happened.
Yeah, I am definitely leaning towards just getting over it.

The fairing on the left side had popped out from under my seat, so it definitely happened at work. I wouldn't have been able to ride it without noticing it. Had to snap it back in to safely sit down...

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #34
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

If thats the case, my guess is you were bumper tapped. Any paint damage on the left side?

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #35
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Well my fingers are crossed you have success with the good cop this afternoon. Also I guess your right that it is not worth risking your job over

Old April 10th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #36
daisha
ninjette.org member

shift change and still no dice. all he did was give me an employee parking window cling with the instructions to "tape it to my bike." uhhh, NO.

Old April 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #37
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Problem solved

Its a pregen, so thats the only way to make it look cool anyways
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #38
Mawties
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
It's ridiculously easy to remove the fairings yourself.

Amazon listings, idk which side you need, or if yours is SE or not:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+green+fairing

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-12-NINJ...9255cd&vxp=mtr

And here's a used one with minor damage for $200 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-12-NINJ...312926&vxp=mtr

Thanks a lot man, I think that last ebay one was one that I had looked at.

I also have a hard time telling if those green/white ones on amazon would match the shade of green I have on my bike. I actually like that design and color scheme a little more

I did find,

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ABS-g...668272632.html

but honestly I'm sketched out by the site itself, not sure how trustworthy something like that would be. Not to mention whether it would fit my 2012 or if it's just really sh***y quality that would crack under general vibrations from riding my bike.

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #39
xSean13

@Mawties

The colors vary slightly year by year, so if it's not 2012, or whatever year your bike is, then they probably won't match.

As for these Chinese places, the key thing you want to look for is "injection molded" otherwise it'll probably be crap. Also with the Chinese places, they're known to have some fitment issues, in regards to the holes not aligning properly, but it's a fairly minor issue as people have usually been able to slightly expand the holes and get it to fit.

If you want a full set, then you can also check out www.extremefairings.com
People on the CBR forum have had pretty good results from them, and they'll customize the fairings however you want.

Old April 10th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #40
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

How much did they tip you bike? Any Benjamins?

In all seriousness, that sux. Sorry that happened.