ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1
naughtylion
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Backfiring/Popping & Running Lean

I've had a look around this site but can't really find a specific answer to my question - apologies if it's been answered before hidden away in another thread

I noticed my bike popping with the stock exhaust maybe once or twice in the two months I've had him. It was always in the morning when kicking over for the first time with the choke on.

I've since installed a yoshi slip on (completely aware this is for w@nk-factor only) and it's either started doing it more, or just become more noticible. I was wondering is this is an indication that it's running lean? It may sound great on a beasty engine, but with a loud exhaust IMHO this bike sounds better when it's running smoother and purring along, because the exhaust (although sounding better than stock) already highlights how tiny the engine is.

So my question would be (in the event that popping has no indication on lean/rich) is there any way to tell if your bike is running lean? Running lean will cause damage in the long run, right? I can't afford to rejet for a few months but if there's any indication I have that it's running fine I'd feel more comfortable about putting it, and the snorkel romoval, off for a while. But then again it happens more when downshifting to brake with the choke on in the morning, which would mean it's running richer... no?

Any help, as always, would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
naughtylion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

The popping you are hearing is due to the kleen air system installed on your bike. You can remove it and plug it up and it will rid you of the popping. You may benefit from adding 2 washers under your carb needles.

You can find all the information in the DIY section here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

Removing Kleen Air System
Shimming the Carb needles

Lots of good information to read and educate yourself

Old December 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #4
kenji_808
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CT Blue 250R(Sold), 2008 Black & Silver Honda CBR600RR(Current)

i have basically the same setup you have except i have a K&N drop in filter. I used two shims under my needles and it reduced the afterfiring a little and did increase power a bit, iirc majority of the 250s run lean from the factory, few are the exception.

i Just recently did the kleen air delete i now i have zero afterfires.
kenji_808 is offline   Reply With Quote