ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 9th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #1
the jelly man
ninjette.org member

Name: stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250 blue

Wife wants a bike.

Title pretty much says it. The questions I have is is there a way so safely lower a ninja 250? The problem is she is only 5'0" so in order to get a foot on the ground she has to lean the bike way over. She's worried that if she has to lean it over that much one time it is going to fall over. I have read that lowering a bike messes with the way it handles and performs. Is this true?

Thanks so much
the jelly man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jelly man View Post
Title pretty much says it. The questions I have is is there a way so safely lower a ninja 250? The problem is she is only 5'0" so in order to get a foot on the ground she has to lean the bike way over. She's worried that if she has to lean it over that much one time it is going to fall over. I have read that lowering a bike messes with the way it handles and performs. Is this true?

Thanks so much
The only thing you need to worry about is dragging hard parts or hitting the underside of the bike with the tires. This lowering the bike will mess it up crap is just that crap. She is not going to be out trying to drag knee and what little it will change she will never even notice.

Old August 9th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hey Stefan, lower it as needed. You may hear all kinds of crap about not lowering it. Truth is, if she doesn't need the clearance, it don't matter if its there. In time, her skill may warrant raising it back up. Until then, no real worries. The secret is to not put one's self into the situation where you need the clearance until it's time.

Lowering links are what you're after, and what you do to the rear... balance it out in the front as such. It's just nuts and bolts that can returned to stock height or higher when the time comes.

Good luck to your wife!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's a good wiki article here about how someone lowered their new-gen 250:

https://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Lowering

Yes, it obviously affects ground clearance and available lean angle, but for newer riders it might be an appropriate tradeoff.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #5
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Yeah, just throw on some lowering links. I had pro-tek lowering links (model LL-120) when I got the bike. Over time, I got used to the height, and replaced them with the stock ones. It's a really simple job.

Also, keep this in mind - you have to buy a shorter kickstand if you lower the bike. It took me forever to figure out why it was impossible to park my bike on anything but a completely flat street... it was because the PO lowered it, but kept the stock length kickstand.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #6
the jelly man
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys I'll look into lowering links. Looking at probably an 09 and up 250

Old August 9th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #7
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Also, look into some boots that add height, like the Daytona Lady-Star GTX Boots. Yeah, they are expensive, but they can help those that are inseam challenged and they also provide protection.

Quote:
The Lady-Star GTX Boots also feature a unique, 6cm heel and 2.5cm insole rise to provide critical, extra height for better control of your bike when at a stop.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #8
the jelly man
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Also, look into some boots that add height, like the Daytona Lady-Star GTX Boots. Yeah, they are expensive, but they can help those that are inseam challenged and they also provide protection.
Thanks I didn't even think of boots to help her reach the ground. I'll definitely keep those in mind.

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #9
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
You're welcome.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #10
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
You guys might consider a Honda Rebel. And an MSF class.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 10th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #11
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Every time a wife/ girlfriend says she want a bike I turn into my father.
I feel vaguely hypocritical worrying but you can't help the protective instinct. Once they have been out a few times alone and come back ok I feel better

Usually we start with a low custom like the el250 or a Honda stepthrough with Jen who was 6ft something and all wrong on a low bike. Upright is important for control, particularly here in the UK with its emphasis on compulsory "round the cones" tests and training. (That was the hardest part for me learning to ride the bike in what seemed to be 8ft full lock circles)
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The handling of the bike will change IF you don't lower the front and rear by the same amount.

- Rear is lowered using links on the shock.

- Front is lowered by sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamp. Because the 250's handlebar mounts cover the tops of the forks you'll need to either get riser blocks or clip-ons and mount them on top of the triple clamp (@LittleRedNinjette did this and has photos)

- Don't forget the kickstand. If you lower the bike the kickstand will be too long. Not a problem up to a point... that point being when the bike no longer is stable when on the kickstand. Options are to cut and reweld the existing part or buy an adjustable kickstand.

That is all....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote