ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 5th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #1
bowlbug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dusty

Motorcycle(s): 3rd gen Magna's !st gen magna's And now 250 ninja's

Do I need to pull the carbs again?

I am working on a 97 250 I just picked up with a little over 5k on the speedo, so it has not moved much. So far I have changed the fluids. Removed a cleaned the carbs. Hours in an ultrasonic cleaner with water and a product called natural way. It is an orange degreaser I have had good luck with when I do the magna carbs. Ordered new tires and a couple lines. Now the problem. When I picked it up it would start a run with choke for about 45 seconds. The cleaning of the carbs helped but. It starts right up, little choke. Let it run for a minute shut the choke off adjust the idle to just over 1k, purs like a kitten. 2 minutes later, it is acting like it is running out of fuel. Give it some throttle 5000 rpm no problem. But she keeps bogging out and dies. Then it will NOT restart for about 1/2 hour of being left alone. I have used carb cleaner to check of vac leaks and did find one between the the air box and carb. Cleaned that up, no difference. I don't want to pull the carbs again
bowlbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Check for blockages in the fuel system - the inline filter at the crab inlet, the petcock and the vacuum line to the petcock, and the screens on the tubes inside the tank.

A couple other things you could try, when it quits, are opening the fuel filler to see if you hear air rushing in and opening the floatbowl drains to see if gas comes out.

Is the tank in good condition inside? You could also try running the petcock on reserve to see if that changes anything.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 5th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #3
bowlbug
ninjette.org member

I just came in from trying the petcock. Don' t know if make a difference or any sense. But I pull the fuel line. And ran a clear line from the petcock to a gas can, no fuel until the bike started. Then all kinds of flow. Now on a Magna that would drain a tank just be opening the line. And connected my IV fuel bottle to the fuel line, all it is does is sub for a fuel tank. Same result. Now if it is the filter, would it restart after awhile?

Old January 5th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16

The petcock is vacuum activated: verify that it is working properly and that fuel is freely flowing into the bowls of the carbs when vacuum is applied and the petcock is in open position.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #5
bowlbug
ninjette.org member

The tank is clean and have scratched petcock off my problem list. It is the first system I have worked on that uses vacuum to get fuel. Learning new things every day...I like it.

Old January 5th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbug View Post
The tank is clean and have scratched petcock off my problem list.......
Next, open the drain of one bowl at a time and verify that fuel is flowing out a tube that you connect to the drain port and collect it into a fuel container.

This is how:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Draining_the_carbs

Do not start the engine, just apply vacuum to the petcock while it is in both positions: normal and reserve.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #7
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
During the period that the bike bogs out and dies.... key off, bike on centerstand or upright...drain each bowl using a hose into a catch can. Measuring should net approx 50cc of fuel from EACH bowl.

Contrary to Motofools test applying vacuum...you want to see how much fuel was in each carb at time of stalling WITHOUT altering the levels.

Your measurement will confirm whether it IS (or is NOT) a fuel delivery problem of some sort.

If you are getting 2 different amounts....carb float issue? Carb pull.

If equal but low....petcock?

If equal and normal ...your problem lies elsewhere.

If need be...you can further test flow by applying vacuum and once again measuring volumes of each bowl.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #8
jeremy_283
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I have had an issue very similar to yours. It almost left me stranded. NOW, the bike will still slowly die on occasion but it will restart no problem. Idles up to temp perfect (with choke) whereas before the bike wouldn't even idle when cold.

What did I do?

I pulled all the jets and components per http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_the_carbs_1 and soaked it in pine sol for 4 days.

What I did that wasn't mentioned is that the carb must be immediately pulled from the pine sol and washed off as good as you can get it within 1 minute. DON'T dry off the carb but rather immediately spray it around the butterfly valves and all steel components with WD40 or it will flash rust. I actually sprayed the entire carb down with WD40.

I've since washed my bike with a pressure washer and have had no rust issues.
jeremy_283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Did you find a filter in the fuel line at inlet to the carb? If that's plugged the fuel will stop flowing at that point.

About 1/2 down this page is a photo of the filter - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...fuel_filter%3F
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #10
bowlbug
ninjette.org member

I will be checking the bowls in the morning. One more trick learned. And thank you for the links, they are very helpful.

Old January 6th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #11
jeremy_283
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbug View Post
I will be checking the bowls in the morning. One more trick learned. And thank you for the links, they are very helpful.
What do you mean by check the bowls?
jeremy_283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #12
bowlbug
ninjette.org member

As ducatiman suggested let the bike die and see the quantity and quality of gas that come out. I like the link you posted I never would have thought of pine sol.