ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 14th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #81
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Other plan... Marry another professional, abstain from having kids. Combined income in the 6 figures and no munchkins to eat money.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old September 14th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #82
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I did this with saxophone my senior year of high school, was fantastic as it paid for my own lessons

It also paid for reeds, upgrading my neck strap, and eventually it helped me buy the saxophone I have now. Unfortunately it was a downgrade from the one I rented at school, but yamaha makes some reliable products so it's all good.

I have a few other ways to make some spare cash.
My favorite is same-day delivery of small packages between attorneys. Basically if it fits in my backpack I get it from one office to the next faster than anyone else, the other person that I know who does this has an audi that fits everything that I can't carry. For the most part it was call him up to deliver multiple case loads and me for one case. The time where I really proved my worth doing that was when I had to deliver a case file that the attorney forgot from his office to court before the case was tried. No one in a car would have gotten through traffic in time.

I've also done consultations for pot dealers explaining their rights when dealing with law enforcement, how basic supply and demand works and other economic principles, as well as ways to distance themselves from their occupation so that if they do get caught the charges aren't as severe.

Music lessons for beginners, I can only do this properly with saxophone though I taught a kid how to play guitar when I was in practice. That kid is now a better guitarist than me

I have a solid chunk of cash in the stock market right now and am planning to invest approx $1g soon into berkshire hathaway (run by warren buffet) I've taken a few losses in the stock market but have seen overall net gains in the past 3 years and expect to see more of the same in the future so long as I stay vigilant.

From time to time I help out local companies with basic tech support/web design. I'm not particularly good at it but a basic website that is only really there for purposes of showing what a small family owned business does is relatively easy to make and I'm cheaper than the people who do it for a living, though I also don't do nearly as good of a job as they do.

My big plan right now though is to buy a 3-5 bedroom house and rent off the extra rooms at prices that undercut the typical rent of the area by a good amount. The rent would still add up to pay the mortgage for me, therefore freeing up a lot of money. Say I get a 3 bedroom house at 200k-250k market value and a 30yr mortgage on it (no intention to ever finish off that mortgage before selling lol) that works out to be ~$750-1,000/month before utilities (when you include interest) charge each person $600 for a room (including utilities) and everyone wins. They get cheap rent and you get your house paid for for you. Naturally I intend to do this with people I know ahead of time so I don't end up with a trashed party house.

There are a ton of other things, the main income should always come from a proper source imo. I intend to work a reasonably well paying job and budget to invest my money as efficiently as possible so that I never have to worry about money in old age. Say I make 50k/year and have the house plan working. I have almost no bills at that point so I can spend 10k/year on track days/racing and live on 20k/yr while still saving or investing the other 20k each year. After 5 years that's 100 grand that I've saved or invested, that's a lot of money for someone who knows that they don't need to buy everything they want. This plan is destroyed when I have kids as kids are expensive as hell so I don't intend to have any until I am already financially set...I wonder how well that plan will go I figure I'll probably get 5-10 years of 10-20+k/yr savings or investment after graduating university before running into that situation though.
Great plan! Hope things work out as you intend. The best laid plans....

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #83
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Get your liquor license and serve while folks wait on their laundry. There's your gold mine!
Ally is firing on all cylinders! She will be the next millionaire.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #84
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Might as well throw in some slot machines while you're at it
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #85
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Ally is firing on all cylinders! She will be the next millionaire.

I teach. Therefore, I won't.

Old September 14th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #86
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
side business
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #87
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Get your liquor license and serve while folks wait on their laundry. There's your gold mine!
I've had similar thoughts: A combination bar/laundromat located near apartments. How come no one's done that?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #88
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Great plan! Hope things work out as you intend. The best laid plans....
yea, I know. It's better to have a plan though, and it's working so far!

Old September 15th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #89
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Overall profit? Or overall income. According to their income disclosures, you're a rare case (earning 4 times the average income-earning distributor). According to those same disclosures, your upstream is either a magic unicorn or lying to you.

http://advocarecorporate.s3.amazonaw...estatement.pdf

Even that data skews high, as it omits all distributors that didn't do enough to earn any income. To translate those percentages into how many people it represents, Advocare listed 60,000 active distributors in 2010.

back of the envelope math:

60,000 * 0.03% = 18 people at Platinum, averaging $1.5M. so anyone earning $3M would be in the top 1/4 of 18 people, so the top 4 or 5 person in the company, out of 60,000.
60,000 * 0.15% = 90 people at Diamond
60,000 * 0.11% = 66 people at Emerald 9 Star

Another way to look at those same numbers, one would have to be in the top 3.2% of distributors (top 1900 people out of 60,000), to expect an average income of $38,000 or more.

None of these numbers are surprising. MLM is a terrible way to make money for almost everybody, unless you're fortunate enough to be one of the early founders that manages to take off like gangbusters.
I never would have pegged you as a pyramid scheme aficionado. Interesting.

Old September 16th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #90
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
I donate blood every time they come by my workplace. They always take a pint as a donation, and 3 (I think) vials, that are sent to (again, I think) independent labs to be tested. So yes, they test every donation. Their liability would be way too high if they didn't. I see I was beat to the punch by snot (which is much better than having the snot beat out of me.....)

A money spinning tip: Get the other side of the blood testing equation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28756059
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #91
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
A money spinning tip: Get the other side of the blood testing equation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28756059
Ooh that's cool. I am all for less blood taken for blood tests

Old September 16th, 2014, 05:25 AM   #92
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
I never would have pegged you as a pyramid scheme aficionado. Interesting.
Nah, more like a Google aficionado. Similar data was unsuccessful in convincing a family member from wasting both time and money for way too long on a similar MLM pseudo-scam.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #93
CynicalC

Quote:
Nah, more like a Google aficionado. Similar data was unsuccessful in convincing a family member from wasting both time and money for way too long on a similar MLM pseudo-scam.
In my experience, once someone is sold on the idea, it's near impossible to convince them of what a scam it is. And they tend to get more and more delusional the deeper they get into it.

Old September 16th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #94
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Amway.
A girlfriends brother tried to get me into that into that 25 years back
Still going strong Revenue $12 billion today. IDK
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #95
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
In my experience, once someone is sold on the idea, it's near impossible to convince them of what a scam it is. And they tend to get more and more delusional the deeper they get into it.
In my experience the products work as advertised and I profit from representing the brand and offering those products. Doesn't seem very scam like to me ..... . I think it really depends on perspective, expectation, and effort.

I mean if I come up to you and say, hey your going to be a millionaire by signing up, and you can continue to be a fat lazy unhealthy sack, put forth no effort, and generally be useless. That would be a lie and a scam lol. But if I do the right thing and explain to you the situation, demonstrate excellence of character in representing the products, business, and myself ..... and you choose to be the F.L.U.S. and put in no effort. It is definitely not a scam lol.

The problem almost always boils down to the same thing in EVERY business venture on the plant .......... PEOPLE. Good people with good attitudes and good morals and a good drive are successful, others ....... well I think you get the point.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #96
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
I'm old. And out of touch. But is Advocare another name for Amway?

Or is this something completely different?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #97
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I'm going to design tennis balls with LED lights in them so you can play fetch with your dog in the dark, as I have to do now because it's getting dark sooner and I come home from work at my not quick way to make not a lot of cash job and have to exercise my dog.

They probably already have those.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #98
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Ugh.... Yup....... http://www.callingalldogs.com/meteor...-led-ball.aspx

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #99
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Sorry

http://flashflight.com/products/meteorlight
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #100
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I honestly have no idea how to make money. I make a little less than $20,000 a year at my full time job fixing motorcycles. Maybe I'll get a raise soon if I still haven't dropped or broken anything. But it's definitely not a quick or an easy way to make cash. Maybe it would be if I charged people like $30/hr to work on their bikes for them on my off time, but that would require taking my tools to and from work every weekend, which is just not possible. I dropped out of college and pretty much gave up any hope I ever had (don't think I had any anyway) of having a lot of money. I'd like to not worry about it but I just don't know how to get from being sorta broke to pretty comfortable...

I was thinking today maybe being one of the voices for commercial advertising would be a pretty easy job.

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #101
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
In my experience the products work as advertised and I profit from representing the brand and offering those products. Doesn't seem very scam like to me ..... . I think it really depends on perspective, expectation, and effort.

I mean if I come up to you and say, hey your going to be a millionaire by signing up, and you can continue to be a fat lazy unhealthy sack, put forth no effort, and generally be useless. That would be a lie and a scam lol. But if I do the right thing and explain to you the situation, demonstrate excellence of character in representing the products, business, and myself ..... and you choose to be the F.L.U.S. and put in no effort. It is definitely not a scam lol.

The problem almost always boils down to the same thing in EVERY business venture on the plant .......... PEOPLE. Good people with good attitudes and good morals and a good drive are successful, others ....... well I think you get the point.
My god, you're swimming in it.

Old September 17th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #102
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
My god, you're swimming in it.

Maybe.....but the kool-aid man keeps sending me checks and I'm pretty happy with that.

Look there have certainly been lots of true "pyramid schemes" in the past (which are completely illegal btw) and there are definitely some less than worthwhile MLM plans out there too. One that I can think of right off the top of my head was this eyelash extension thing that a friend of my wife did. I just can't see being able to put in effort and make any money off of it. But that doesn't mean that everything is a scam, or that all people that are involved in it are "scammers". The last line of my post that you quoted is the important one and the one you seemed to have missed. Its true about anything, especially any business.

Old September 17th, 2014, 06:38 AM   #103
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I honestly have no idea how to make money. I make a little less than $20,000 a year at my full time job fixing motorcycles. Maybe I'll get a raise soon if I still haven't dropped or broken anything. But it's definitely not a quick or an easy way to make cash. Maybe it would be if I charged people like $30/hr to work on their bikes for them on my off time, but that would require taking my tools to and from work every weekend, which is just not possible. I dropped out of college and pretty much gave up any hope I ever had (don't think I had any anyway) of having a lot of money. I'd like to not worry about it but I just don't know how to get from being sorta broke to pretty comfortable...

I was thinking today maybe being one of the voices for commercial advertising would be a pretty easy job.
I find the thread in itself kinda interesting. Honestly the only way I know how to make money is to work for it, just like your doing. That and plasma lol. Seriously, it was like free money lol.

Old September 18th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #104
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
The last line of my post that you quoted is the important one and the one you seemed to have missed. Its true about anything, especially any business.
Actually, I think that last line in that post is the crux of the problem. It's at the heart of every MLM discussion, and allows such harm to happen over and over again. It's so dangerous because it sounds reasonable, yet it really doesn't apply.

Quote:
The problem is that this isn't true for MLM. Good attitudes and good morals and a good drive will not lead to success. 98% will still fail by either losing money, or losing other opportunities by wasting time on something that will lead to very little money. And while they are failing, they are shamed into "you must not have good attitudes or morals or drive, because if you did, you'd be successful". It's insidious. It's evil. It's in many cases, criminal.

Glad it's working for you. Frankly, until you post up detailed financial data, I don't believe you, but it's not your responsibility or expectation to change my mind. I do believe that the chart above should let anyone who is driven by data to come to their own conclusions, but again, that's up to them.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 18th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #105
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

We can agree to disagree. I mean its an open forum where people can say anything they want to about any subject. However in my experience, your opinion does not align itself with the facts.

I mean Advocare is not my primary job or source of income. I have had a pretty successful career thus far, where hard work and drive have allowed me the opportunity to manage/coach/mentor lots of people. What I have found in my experience is that there are a lot of lazy people out there. People that don't have the drive, and put forth the effort to be successful. Those that did, they thrived, succeeded, and were successful.

My (admittedly limited - just for the time I have been with Advocare) experience with MLM has been the same. The people that wanted it, that had the drive, found success. At least thus far. But I can say even for the unsuccessful people, I don't know anyone that has been screwed, shafted, or bamboozled out of their money. Not unethical and certainly not criminal.

Its cool, different people have different experiences. And different companies provide different experiences. MLM, industrial, professional, retail, etc. There are good and bad apples in all sectors. In the long run your opinion doesn't matter any more in the grand scheme of things than mine does. And I am likely not going to change your mind.

I would like to answer your challenge though. Not because you need your mind changed, but because this -

Quote:
It's insidious. It's evil. It's in many cases, criminal. I don't believe you,
feels to me like an insinuation that I am lying and am being unethical. And that is in my opinion a character attack, something I take very seriously. I like to represent myself with honesty and integrity. Sure I get spun up some times and can step over the line like everyone does, but I value my character and happy to defend it.

What financial information would suffice to you so that you "believe me" that I have been honest in my statements. Feel free to PM me.

Last futzed with by sharky nrk; September 18th, 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Old September 18th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #106
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
I don't believe you.
I was careless, and anywhere where I did use "you", I truly should have used "anyone who says" instead. I don't know you personally, yet what I do know from your long-time presence and participation here is that you certainly do come across quite positively.

I think it would be interesting to follow up in a year or two, and see how your perceptions/beliefs changed, if at all, over time. I would forecast that the distribution that you describe that you've seen directly (essentially "The folks who try have a positive experience, the folks who don't, don't"), is unlikely to hold up as you meet more and more folks within the same group, as the income distribution makes relatively clear.

Old September 18th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #107
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

10-4. I appreciate the clarification and candor in your last response. One of the reasons I really like this forum.

I honestly hope that in a couple years my opinion hasn't changed, mostly because I feel pretty good about the things that my involvement with Advocare and my friends have born fruit wise. There are a good number people that I consider friends and even just some acquaintances that it really has changed their lives and they are much healthier because of it. My wife's very best friend has lost 62 lbs in about a year since being involved. I really enjoy the products myself, they have helped me in my training and fitness goals too. The income that was generated from it is an added benefit.

I also maybe think one reasons why maybe I have not experienced the "negative side" of MLM plans (specifically with my Advocare involvment) is that my involvement thus far is just with the people that we directly support/encourage/and introduce to the products. So we (me and my wife) literally only interact with people that we are trying to help.

Old September 18th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #108
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
...cause we kick ass.
That is all.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 18th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #109
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Get in good with, or go back to school to be a chemistry teacher... Hey it worked on tv
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2014, 08:45 PM   #110
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^Sounds like someone hasn't seen the grand finale...

Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:37 PM   #111
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
LOL! What a finale it was!
Speaking of finales, I just finished Dexter. Now I need a new series to get addicted to. Anyone watched "Orange is the new Black"?

Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:43 PM   #112
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
lol! What a finale it was!
Speaking of finales, i just finished dexter. Now i need a new series to get addicted to. Anyone watched "orange is the new black"?
yes it is the best

Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:01 PM   #113
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Speaking of finales, I just finished Dexter. Now I need a new series to get addicted to. Anyone watched "Orange is the new Black"?
haven't watched any "serious" flicks in a long time. but i can not recommend enough:
always sunny in philidelphia.
it's one of the funniest, most depraved and vile forms of comedy available on television. horribly addictive. they basically ripped off trailer park boys, but with less drugs, higher production quality and no canadians.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:12 PM   #114
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Have you watched House of Cards yet? We started/finished it a short while ago, and enjoyed it.

Old September 23rd, 2014, 03:45 PM   #115
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Game of thrones!

And the premiere of Gotham was awesome!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:19 PM   #116
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
haven't watched any "serious" flicks in a long time. but i can not recommend enough:
always sunny in philidelphia.
it's one of the funniest, most depraved and vile forms of comedy available on television. horribly addictive. they basically ripped off trailer park boys, but with less drugs, higher production quality and no canadians.
I've watched a few episodes. I don't find it as addictive as dramas, but it is funny as hell!

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM   #117
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Have you watched House of Cards yet? We started/finished it a short while ago, and enjoyed it.

Oops, saw this after my last post.
I have not, actually. I've heard good things about it...Hmmm, I'll give it a shot!

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:20 PM   #118
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
I'm on the Dexter thing now. I've watched Orange is the new Black, you should definitely watch it, it's awesome!
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:24 PM   #119
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Cool! I think Orange is the New Black is winning. I've watched the first episode. I tend to like one series at a time.

Old September 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #120
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
One of my teachers in high school was a multimillionaire because he ran a bar at the same time as he taught. The best part was that he always knew exactly who to hire when his students graduated so his staff never had any issues