ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #1
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Name: Ky

Motorcycle(s): Not yet

Good deal?

Hey everyone! So I've been searching far and wide for a good deal on a new gen 250. I found a 2009 that has about 8,000 miles on it and it's the color I want. The guy wanted $2600 obo and I said I was willing to pay $2050(odd number I know). But I wanted to know if you guys think that's a fair price. It has a few scratches but looks like it's been taken care of. Also, the owner installed new LED turn signals and exhaust, which I'm happy about. I'm going to include pics. Any advice would help

image.jpg
KawasakiKy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #2
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawasakiKy View Post
Hey everyone! So I've been searching far and wide for a good deal on a new gen 250. I found a 2009 that has about 8,000 miles on it and it's the color I want. The guy wanted $2600 obo and I said I was willing to pay $2050(odd number I know). But I wanted to know if you guys think that's a fair price. It has a few scratches but looks like it's been taken care of. Also, the owner installed new LED turn signals and exhaust, which I'm happy about. I'm going to include pics. Any advice would help

Attachment 34267
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.7 KB, 21 views)

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #3
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Attachment 34267
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (114.6 KB, 10 views)

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
09 with 8k aye....

Did he have the 7k maintenance completed? Those tires are coming of age (5y) as well. Assuming YOU will have to complete the maintenance and get a set of tires soon after, I think your offer is pretty good.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i would say $1800 is a good price for that... looks like it needs service tires and some TLC not to mention blinker stuff... take a look in the gas tank and see if you can see rust (use a flashlight)

Old January 9th, 2015, 12:42 PM   #6
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

$2600 i think is a bit much and by a "bit" i mean a lot. 1800-2k sounds about right. Do you have a friend that knows bikes that can take a look at it?

If the bike turns out to be decent and he rejects your offer, still give him a way to contact. That way when he becomes desperate in Mar and decides to accept your offer he can contact you.

...then offer less, whahahahahahaha!

fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #7
green_bread
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R & CBR250R

If the seller told you it has aftermarket exhaust and those pictures are current, you already know they are lying. Those pics show stock exhaust.
green_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #8
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

^I was gonna say the same thing. Where are the new LEDs and exhaust?
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

The small led triangle shaped signals can be seen in side in the side view pic and according to the OP, it has "new" signals and exhaust. New doesn't always mean aftermarket.

I agree though, I bet you could buy that bike for $2k, a good deal would be $1800. Basically, from the OP and pics, that bike will need around $400-500 worth of work to be "road ready" in my eyes.

Old January 9th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
The small led triangle shaped signals can be seen in side in the side view pic and according to the OP, it has "new" signals and exhaust. New doesn't always mean aftermarket.

I agree though, I bet you could buy that bike for $2k, a good deal would be $1800. Basically, from the OP and pics, that bike will need around $400-500 worth of work to be "road ready" in my eyes.
+ 1

nailed it

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
I did a few quick searches for bikes in the area, nothing really stood out as a nice bike at a nice price

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old January 9th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #12
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone for posting. I did a little more research and asked the guy the same questions. Waiting for him to get back to me lol

Old January 9th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #13
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

But I totally agree, I think I offered more without thinking about what would need to be done to get it road ready. Also if you guys see any bikes you think I might be interested it, send me a link!!

Old January 10th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
But I totally agree, I think I offered more without thinking about what would need to be done to get it road ready. Also if you guys see any bikes you think I might be interested it, send me a link!!
This might help your search too.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...2&postcount=30

Old January 10th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i would say $1800 is a good price for that... looks like it needs service tires and some TLC not to mention blinker stuff... take a look in the gas tank and see if you can see rust (use a flashlight)
$1800??? Oh the irony.... hahahhaha

Old January 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #16
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

I think your offer is a fair price. The bike at best needs a $300 valve adjustment and $200 in tires. Which to be honest, you could put off the valve adjustment for a little while, your bike isn't going to blow up or anything, it just won't run completely perfect, to be honest you won't even notice... As for the tires, I had 12k on my newgen and they were still going, these little bikes don't eat tires like the bigger ones do... Only problem is that being an 09, the tires are 6 years old and will need to be replaced even if they have good tread.

I think your offer should be firm, $2050-$2200 isn't a terrible deal...

I got my 2012 with 9k miles for $2,800

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old January 10th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
$1800??? Oh the irony.... hahahhaha
do you know what irony is?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #18
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
I think your offer is a fair price. The bike at best needs a $300 valve adjustment and $200 in tires. Which to be honest, you could put off the valve adjustment for a little while, your bike isn't going to blow up or anything, it just won't run completely perfect, to be honest you won't even notice... As for the tires, I had 12k on my newgen and they were still going, these little bikes don't eat tires like the bigger ones do... Only problem is that being an 09, the tires are 6 years old and will need to be replaced even if they have good tread.

I think your offer should be firm, $2050-$2200 isn't a terrible deal...

I got my 2012 with 9k miles for $2,800

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

There is a chance the valves won't be so far out that there are no clearance issues, but there is also a chance the valves will be so far out of spec that there are. And sure you won't really notice...until there is no clearance and unfortunately it to late at that point. Your valve check/adjust job just got a little more complicated

better safe than sorry

Old January 10th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #19
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys!! Ill let you know what happens. I guess I'm asking too many questions because he hasn't answered me. Lol oh well

Old January 10th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
9 out of 10 times, 8k wont be enough for needing much of a valve adjustment unless something is going wrong

Old January 10th, 2015, 02:05 PM   #21
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ i agree but a used bike has an unknown history no matter what the owner says. Which is why i would be a little more diligent with the maintenance time frames.

P.S. i didn't do my valves until 10k, they were all pretty far out of spec except one, no clearance issues though.

Old January 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #22
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I'll echo others here, that's definitely too steep of a price. However, my blue '09 250 was a damn good bike. Make me wistful to see that picture!

The crap thing about buying used is you never know how it's been cared for. I bought a GSXR track bike and WAY overpaid. I got 3 track weekends on it before it blew a crank bearing and had to be sold for parts. Be wary. Have it looked at by someone who knows bikes if at all possible.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #23
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
do you know what irony is?
It's just funny to me how you chewed my head off for telling that other member his bike is probably worth $1,600-$1,800 with it's 50k miles or whatever it was, mean while you're telling me this 09 which is in pretty decent shape is only worth $1,800....

Old January 10th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
It's just funny to me how you chewed my head off for telling that other member his bike is probably worth $1,600-$1,800 with it's 50k miles or whatever it was, mean while you're telling me this 09 which is in pretty decent shape is only worth $1,800....
a well taken care of 50k bike with no damage? yeah. thats right. and a dinged up 8k? yeah. that's correct.

Old January 10th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #25
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Thanks guys!! Ill let you know what happens. I guess I'm asking too many questions because he hasn't answered me. Lol oh well
These are the main things you need to ask before checking out the bike in person:

1. Does it have a clean title?
2. Any cosmetic damage? (be very specific, tell them you want to know about every little scratch on it)
3. Any Mechanical issues? (Just ask if it rides properly, any sputtering with the gas, or issues with the bike not starting, etc. 90% of running issues with these bikes involves the carbs)
4. Are you original owners and have any maintenance records? (it's just good to know..)

After that you go and look at it, first thing I always check when I look at a bike is the bar ends.

9/10 times if the bike has been dropped you'll see evidence on the bar ends. If you see a scratch, look at the mirror, you'll probably find one there too.. After that inspect fairings, engine cover, pegs, turn signals, etc. And you'll probably find even more evidence..

After assessing the aesthetics of the bike I move on to tires, I check em for cracks and tread most tires even have the date printed on them which is good to know as well. While i'm down there I look at the chain, touch it with one finger and see if some grease comes off. It did? Good. That's what you want. If a chain is in good condition then that's a big positive. Also look at the brakes, just assess it for any wear, hopefully pads are good.

Now finally... I ask to sit on the bike, they say yes, I hop on and just feel it. This is really only good if you've never sat on that bike before, it's good to get a feel for the thing you're about to drop 2 grand on. Ask to start it, vrooom. Should fire up no problems, a little choke may be needed. Let it idle for a few minutes and just listen for sounds in the engine, hopefully nothing sounds too off. I like to put my hand near the exhaust to feel the compression. Once I can turn the choke off I check out the idle rpms and what not and ask to take it for a ride.

If you have a friend with you then maybe they should take over, it's not uncommon for the seller to ask to hold the money, just let them hold it. Take the bike for a spin and make sure all the gears work, I do beat the bike a tiny bit (nothing too crazy, don't want to get hurt with unfamiliar bike).

If all checks out, then that $2,050 you offered is a good price, or if you meet somewhere at that $2,200 mark it's still a fair deal.

Good luck and just as a disclaimer i'm sure I missed stuff I typed this up in about 10 minutes and just said what was on the top of my head.
Please refer to this site for more in depth information.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Last futzed with by Hero Danny; January 10th, 2015 at 06:18 PM.
Hero Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #26
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
a well taken care of 50k bike with no damage? yeah. thats right. and a dinged up 8k? yeah. that's correct.
Lol a few scratches isn't worth an $800 decrease in price... It's whatever though, Agree to disagree we both know we won't get anywhere with eachother.

Old January 10th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Whenever I go look at a bike, I always ask them to NOT have it warmed up. I wanna hear a COLD start.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #28
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
These are the main things you need to ask before checking out the bike in person:

2. Any cosmetic damage? (be very specific, tell them you want to know about every little scratch on it)
3. Any Mechanical issues? (Just ask if it rides properly, any sputtering with the gas, or issues with the bike not starting, etc. 90% of running issues with these bikes involves the carbs)
4. Are you original owners and have any maintenance records? (it's just good to know..)

After that you go and look at it, first thing I always check when I look at a bike is the bar ends.

9/10 times if the bike has been dropped you'll see evidence on the bar ends. If you see a scratch, look at the mirror, you'll probably find one there too.. After that inspect fairings, engine cover, pegs, turn signals, etc. And you'll probably find even more evidence..

After assessing the aesthetics of the bike I move on to tires, I check em for cracks and tread most tires even have the date printed on them which is good to know as well. While i'm down there I look at the chain, touch it with one finger and see if some grease comes off. It did? Good. That's what you want. If a chain is in good condition then that's a big positive. Also look at the brakes, just assess it for any wear, hopefully pads are good.

Now finally... I ask to sit on the bike, they say yes, I hop on and just feel it. This is really only good if you've never say on that bike before, it's good to get a feel for the thing you're about to drop 2 grand on. Ask to start it, vrooom. Should fire up no problems, a little choke may be needed. Let it idle for a few minutes and just listen for sounds in the engine, hopefully nothing sounds too off. I like to put my hand near the exhaust to feel the compression. Once I can turn the choke off I check out the idle rpms and what not and ask to take it for a ride.

If you have a friend with you then maybe they should take over, it's not uncommon for the seller to ask to hold the money, just let them hold it. Take the bike for a spin and make sure all the gears work, I do beat the bike a tiny bit (nothing too crazy, don't want to get hurt with unfamiliar bike).

If all checks out, then that $2,050 you offered is a good price, or if you meet somewhere at that $2,200 mark it's still a fair deal.

Good luck and just as a disclaimer i'm sure I missed stuff I typed this up in about 10 minutes and just said what was on the top of my head.

Awesome info here, member of the year!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #29
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Whenever I go look at a bike, I always ask them to NOT have it warmed up. I wanna hear a COLD start.
Good idea. Especially important when looking at a diesel vehicle.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #30
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Now finally... I ask to sit on the bike, they say yes, I hop on and just feel it. This is really only good if you've never sat on that bike before, it's good to get a feel for the thing you're about to drop 2 grand on. Ask to start it, vrooom. Should fire up no problems, a little choke may be needed. Let it idle for a few minutes and just listen for sounds in the engine, hopefully nothing sounds too off. I like to put my hand near the exhaust to feel the compression. Once I can turn the choke off I check out the idle rpms and what not and ask to take it for a ride.

Thanks!! This was really helpful. Sidenote, you are always getting **** when you comment on my posts lol but thanks Danny

Old January 11th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #31
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me!! Good tip

Old January 11th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #32
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I'll echo others here, that's definitely too steep of a price. However, my blue '09 250 was a damn good bike. Make me wistful to see that picture!

The crap thing about buying used is you never know how it's been cared for. I bought a GSXR track bike and WAY overpaid. I got 3 track weekends on it before it blew a crank bearing and had to be sold for parts. Be wary. Have it looked at by someone who knows bikes if at all possible.
I def understand, it kinda sucks because you never know what you are really getting :/ Thanks for your comment!!

Old January 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #33
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Thanks!! This was really helpful. Sidenote, you are always getting **** when you comment on my posts lol but thanks Danny
Lol if it were only just your posts. No problem, let me know if you have any more questions.

Old January 11th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Are you sure that's not an '08? The Ninja sticker and Kawasaki logos are supposed to be gray on the 2009 and white on the 2008. The Kawasaki logo looks white to me and the Ninja logo looks like it *might* be gray. If so, we have a mixer/rat-bike! The missing frame caps and right-side blinker damage make me think the fairings and front end were replaced separately and dropped a second time. Also, the rear tire is a Dunlop GT501, which was not included on the '09 and was not available in the US for years. If that really is a 2009 then that was probably a used tire.

Anyway, the '08 bike was $3,500 MSRP, so I think that price is too high.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #35
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Looks way overpriced.
liberpolly is offline   Reply With Quote