ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
lognaturel
Rockin'

Name: Hélène

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250R

Failed heist

This morning I headed out to my bike and it was taking up the whole sidewalk. I don't park across the sidewalk.

A little piece of metal was missing by the lock and it looks like a blade was involved (pic). That convinced me that I did not sleepwalk and move it. Seems like someone manhandled it a few feet out of the road to avoid the streetlight and went to work. Something must have spooked them before they finished the job.

I've been parking on the same street every night for a year and a half and now I'm not quite sure what to do. A lot of bikes park around there and I figured no one would be interested in stealing a little 250. BUT, someone just pointed out to me that thieves might not know it's a relatively cheap bike and just see how awesome it looks (very awesome).

You all had a lot of good advice in a recent security thread that I wouldn't previously have paid any attention to (except for the insurance part). I just bought a disk brake lock and I'm going to go park down the street next to some chromed up Harleys tonight...
lognaturel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Glad your bike is safe and didnt end up getting taken. I'll be buying myself a GPS alarm system seen here (if interested, click the details section to see what it's capable of). It'll give me peace at mind and I figure for that cheap and 9 bucks a month it will all be good. I'll be downgrading my gym membership so I'll technically be paying the same I do now. /end ramble lol.

But good to see they didnt get it and good idea about the disc lock!
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I'm planning on putting one of these in my bike. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=7njTSZ0bxGF

It allows you to remotely track your bike and its also incredibly small so you could put it in a very difficult to get to spot and attach it to the battery. It has different tracking settings, the lowest allowing allows it to go 1 month without a charge and the highest 1 day. Depending on how often you ride (which will charge the tracker) set it accordingly i.e. track once every 15 mins/1 hour/6 hours. Then you will have a map of where the thieves took your bike. It will likely take them a few hours to take apart your bike and actually find the tracking device, but by that time you will know exactly where they are and direct the police to them.

It would be a good idea to set it up so it only charges when the bike is turned on so it doesn't drain your battery.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
chain it to something. a disk lock isn't going to stop someone from picking it up and putting it in the back of their truck

Old September 13th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
chain it to something. a disk lock isn't going to stop someone from picking it up and putting it in the back of their truck
And a chain wont stop someone with bolt cutters. Best defence, crash your bike and make it look ugly so no one wants it
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a covered, locked bike with a chain is probably the best defense outside of a locked garage. think about the effort for that, you have to look extremely conspicuous with bolt cutters cutting a chain for upwards of 30-60 seconds before even trying to move it. people who pick up bikes put the bike in the truck in 15 seconds, get back in and are gone in 30 seconds. walk-ups take bikes where they can sit with it for awhile without being seen so they can break the lock then hotwire it or roll it away. if its chained to a well lit area they won't be able to muscle it away so they don't look suspicious, which means they can more easily get caught. if there's another bike just down the street that is in a darker area, maybe doesn't have a chain or has one but is in an alley where noones going to walk by, the theif isn't going to take the locked down high traffic one, they're going to take the one where noone is around that's easiest

i'm the president of the association for experts in criminology and psychology so you can trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
defence, crash your bike and make it look ugly so no one wants it
check.

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
a covered, locked bike with a chain is probably the best defense outside of a locked garage. think about the effort for that, you have to look extremely conspicuous with bolt cutters cutting a chain for upwards of 30-60 seconds before even trying to move it. people who pick up bikes put the bike in the truck in 15 seconds, get back in and are gone in 30 seconds. walk-ups take bikes where they can sit with it for awhile without being seen so they can break the lock then hotwire it or roll it away. if its chained to a well lit area they won't be able to muscle it away so they don't look suspicious, which means they can more easily get caught. if there's another bike just down the street that is in a darker area, maybe doesn't have a chain or has one but is in an alley where noones going to walk by, the theif isn't going to take the locked down high traffic one, they're going to take the one where noone is around that's easiest

i'm the president of the association for experts in criminology and psychology so you can trust me.

check.
My dad's bike was chained up and stolen. Four guys in a pickup truck got out, cut the chains, and lifted his bike into their truck. He heard the racket and looked out his apartment window and saw them lifting the bike up and yelled out "I've got your license plate number!" As the truck drove away he saw that the plates had been taken off

I guess I'm thinking of more "professional" thieves.

"i'm the president of the association for experts in criminology and psychology"

I have no idea what that is. Like at a school or something? Please explain, thats quite interesting.
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I have no idea what that is. Like at a school or something? Please explain, thats quite interesting.
its an insider joke

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
And a chain wont stop someone with bolt cutters. Best defence, crash your bike and make it look ugly so no one wants it
Yeah the chain I use on my bike would take forever to cut, plus I keep it covered so no one is going to want my bike

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
its an insider joke
Well it sounded half real lol! Call it the Brown Association for Experts in Criminology and Criminal Psychology
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Yeah the chain I use on my bike would take forever to cut, plus I keep it covered so no one is going to want my bike
Have you seen the video where they cut the highest rated motorcycle chains? I think the longest they took to cut one was 50 seconds
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

I seem to remember some study a few years back that suggested that car anti theft devices actually increased the likelihood that a car would get stolen. The reasoning was that drivers got a false sense of security and were more likely to park in bad areas. I can see the logic, but sometimes you have no choice.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #13
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Build a garage.

Old September 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #14
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Have you seen the video where they cut the highest rated motorcycle chains? I think the longest they took to cut one was 50 seconds

Link to original page on YouTube.

It's amazing really.

Edit: Another one except it's so thick that it's tough to get leaverage

setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #15
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I've got the MicroTrak GPS installed on my bike, and part of the functionality of it is a Tilt sensor.

That means if someone stands the bike up from the kickstand, sits on it, or shakes the bike, or even lifts it up (multiple people) in an attempt to steal it, it sends a Tilt signal to the satellite, which in turn can be set to Text your cellphone. It usually takes about 3 minutes from the tilt to the text.

If you're a parent and your kids ride, you can set up various alerts on the website interface, like a speed alert, a bike drop alert, etc. The speed alert can be set at whatever speed you want so if your kid is speeding, you get texted with the exact speed they were going. The bike drop alert should be obvious.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post

It's amazing really.

Edit: Another one except it's so thick that it's tough to get leaverage

That is awesome! That's the only chain to buy haha. I wonder if they could cut through it with a saw.
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #17
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm glad I live in the middle of no where. Sorry about to here about the heist. At least they didn't get away with it!

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #18
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Sucks, OP.
I'm glad I have a garage.

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #19
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
That is awesome! That's the only chain to buy haha. I wonder if they could cut through it with a saw.
Of course you can. There is nothing special about that chain besides it being ridiculously thick so that the bolt cutters cant utilize the forces efficiently and cut it.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #20
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Put a cover on it. Keeps most folks from messing with it.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #21
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I park my bike in the backyard on the patio. My dogs make a lot of noise when anyone comes close to the house.
I am looking to get a disc lock soon.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #22
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
What chain r u using?

In the video, they are trying to cut the chain, why not the lock itself? Does the chain come with a lock thats make with the same material? I still dont know much about these things, pls enlighten me Obi-wan.

I was looking for some kind of deterrence for my bike as well and found a disc lock w/ an alarm -Xena- like the warrior princess. I'm still researching this unit if it is what it claims to be.

Glad to know that ur bike was not taken by these S*&^ heads. May they're arse be burning red with green skitters!

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #23
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglory View Post
In the video, they are trying to cut the chain, why not the lock itself? Does the chain come with a lock thats make with the same material?
They show the lock in a closeup in the second video, there's virtually no space to get any kind of "bite" with the bolt cutters.

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #24
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I'm glad I live in the middle of no where. Sorry about to here about the heist. At least they didn't get away with it!
that and the fact that you don't even have a bike
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #25
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #26
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Im telling you guys...
www.internatrix.com

Its the best thing out there right now.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #27
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Quote:
I'm planning on putting one of these in my bike. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=7njTSZ0bxGF

It allows you to remotely track your bike and its also incredibly small so you could put it in a very difficult to get to spot and attach it to the battery. It has different tracking settings, the lowest allowing allows it to go 1 month without a charge and the highest 1 day. Depending on how often you ride (which will charge the tracker) set it accordingly i.e. track once every 15 mins/1 hour/6 hours. Then you will have a map of where the thieves took your bike. It will likely take them a few hours to take apart your bike and actually find the tracking device, but by that time you will know exactly where they are and direct the police to them.

It would be a good idea to set it up so it only charges when the bike is turned on so it doesn't drain your battery.
This would be awesome to get. However, if someone stole my bike and I knew where they were, the police better get to the thieves before I do.

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #28
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglory View Post
I was looking for some kind of deterrence for my bike as well and found a disc lock w/ an alarm -Xena- like the warrior princess. I'm still researching this unit if it is what it claims to be.
I very recently bought myself an Xena XX6 disc lock alarm. I spent ages researching, and it seemed like the best option. The XX6 is the smallest one they do, but it fits a new-gen Ninjette perfectly.

Don't bother buying the XZZ alarmed disc lock. The XX6 is basically the successor to the XZZ. The XX6 is louder, has a hidden alarm unit (so it can't be smashed) and is more visible (because it has an uninterrupted external metal casing)

So far, post-purchase, I have learnt:
* It's a really nice size. Easily fits under the rear seat next to the Kawasaki tool-kit
* I got a yellow one so it stands out well. You can easily see the bike has it attached, which makes for a nice visual deterrent
* It's very loud.
* Attaching it to the bike is extremely fast and simple - literally slide it on and push the button.
* Taking it off the bike isn't quite so smooth, but it isn't bad. They give you just enough time to remove it before the ear piercing alarm goes off.
* We had a mini hurricane near the UK very recently. That was the first time I had a false alarm. The bike cover was blowing around and must have knocked into the alarm. I had the alarm on the lowest sensitivity level at the time.
* The paint has scratched off a bit from being stored under the back seat. It might be worth putting some kind of sleeve around it when you do that.

I'm happy with it!

If you have any questions, ask away, as right now I know enough about their alarmed disc locks to be a sales rep
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #29
lognaturel
Rockin'

You guys are not messing around and I hope some of you are getting kickbacks from security system makers! I've learned another thing or two in this thread.

Last night, I took a good look at the place I was parked and though I'd always found it the perfect spot, it's not. While the whole block is well-lit, that little spot is dark and has two big trees right next to it. The sidewalk spot a few feet away where the bike was moved can't really be seen by any of the buildings around.

I now have a whole new system for evaluating parking spots.

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #30
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
I do have a bike.

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #31
lognaturel
Rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
That means if someone stands the bike up from the kickstand, sits on it, or shakes the bike, or even lifts it up (multiple people) in an attempt to steal it, it sends a Tilt signal to the satellite, which in turn can be set to Text your cellphone.
Seems like that would generate a lot of texts and I'm not sure my blood pressure could deal with that.

Later yesterday (busy day for the poor bike), I returned to where I'd parked and there's some girl sitting on the bike posing suggestively as her boyfriend takes pictures (does this happen a lot?). They were a little embarrassed when I walked up and asked if the pictures had turned out well. It's the kind of thing that doesn't bother me and I'd rather not get a text freaking me out each time it happens!

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #32
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Quote:
I do have a bike.

Who steals a Huffy?
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #33
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
Who steals a Huffy?

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #34
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I put deez through the frame into bolts in the floor or around pillars. They're like 3/4" thick. Dudes think twice when they see that and go how the hell do I even begin?
Then I use those silver cable locks with the soft hard to cut stranded cables as secondary.
If bolt cutters gets through one, it wont get through the other. If torch gets through one, maybe not the other. etc. I did use to do disk lock also when I had time or felt I needed it as a third and last option.

I had them at the apartment on a gsxr for six months with no problems while people were stealing bicycles from my neighbors carport head.. walking around the gsxr to do it.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #35
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
I do have a bike.
Are you the guy wheelieng the 5hp schwinn?
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #36
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Im telling you guys...
www.internatrix.com

I say the same thing, In every security thread!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #37
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
Who steals a Huffy?
hahaha
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #38
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Im telling you guys...
www.internatrix.com

The MicroTrak GPS system has the same function and a whole lot more, plus they can locate the bike if they do steal it.

Better than Lojack with a MUCH bigger coverage area.

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #39
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Quote:
I do have a bike.

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #40
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm not a hater.