ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 6th, 2016, 07:45 AM   #1
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Which fun little bike to get?

So, I want a fun, nimble bike to toss around. The FZ07 I ride now is fine, but I want something smaller, more hooligun-like, to thrash around. Maybe track it, if I ever grow a pair

In my past life I had two of the "smaller" bikes: CB500F (didn't enjoy it much) and Ninjette 250, which was a lot of fun, but a bit weak on torque.

So, going forward, I see the following options:
KTM 390 Duke
Yamaha R3
Ninja 300
Honda CBR300R (possibly)

I haven't ridden any of these, so maybe someone who did, could chime in and offer his perspective on these.

Thanks folks!
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 08:00 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I too had a Ninja 250 (newgen - 2008)

None of the little bikes will have much torque compared to what you're used to. The secret to fun on a small bike, as I'm sure you know, isn't torque. It's momentum and making the most of what you've got. The party starts at about 9,000 RPM and you can ride a Ninjette around all day long at 10K plus.

Of the little bikes, if I were to buy one tomorrow it'd likely be an RC390 (vs. the basically identical Duke), simply because it's the funkiest and most sport-oriented of the lot. Wish it weren't a thumper, though... the thing sounds like a weed wacker to me. Haven't ridden one.

Second place would be a toss-up between the Ninjette and R3. I like the R3's looks and it seemed decent when I test rode one. I liked it enough to put it in the selection set for further consideration. BTW during that demo day I rode the R3, FZ-09, FZ-07 and R6. Was expecting to love the 09, but the bike that spoke to me was the 07. Don't really know why.

The Ninjette is a known quantity... having had a 250 I know just what it's all about, and I know it's fun. In a way it's like the SV650. Well-sorted, very common, good support, a popular platform that you can't go wrong with. The 300 is the same with more power. On paper, the stock bike is about what you get when you do the standard mods to a 250, which I did. So I'm confident that I know what the 300 is like even though I've not actually ridden one.

I jetted mine, did the usual free things (emissions delete, etc) and put on an AreaP full exhaust, plus clip-ons and rearsets. Made the bike a lot better and gave it real character. I miss that bike. If I got a 300 I'd do the same thing.

The Honda doesn't do anything for me.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; April 6th, 2016 at 10:41 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 08:18 AM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Supermoto for small hooligan bike every day of the week

between your options the duke will have the best torque but I don't believe it to be the most fun (an RC390 would be a good choice) the R3 is the best of the bunch there but only slightly over the ninja 300. It just feels like a slightly more mature version of the baby ninja. I wonder if there will be another ninja update soon or not to one up it

Old April 6th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #5
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I have heard a lot of complaints about the stability of the RC 390, you would be best to get either the Kawi or Yamaha

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #6
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

KTM 390 - most whp
Yamaha R3 - lightest weight
Ninja 300 - longest range
Honda CBR300 - gtfo

Go sit on all 4. I only felt right on one of them. Life would probably be easiest with the N300 or R3. I have an '06 Ninja 250, and just got the R3. The R3 is seriously quicker, but this also removes some of that "small bike fun factor". It doesn't wait around, or slowly wail up to 14k rpms. My first day on the R3 was an exercise of bouncing off the 12.5k rev limiter accidentally, it comes up fast. Having said that, my Ninjette is up for sale. The R3 forum is very active compared to the N300 forum.

Kinda want the FZ-07 you have lol ... gonna get a test ride from CL this weekend. FZ-07 is supposed to be the hooligan bike!
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #7
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

I have a 300, and my friend has a newgen. Riding them back to back is like night and day, power wise. The 300 make a LOT more torque and it makes it in places where you actually need it, mid-range especially. From 6k on it pulls on the 250 substantially. The R3 makes a smidge more.

Point, sure the 250 and 300 have very similar chassis dynamics, but the engine output profiles and numbers are quite different.

My 300 made 35.6whp on a dynojet. 79*F 27.43 in-Hg 8% humidity 1.08 SAE correction factor.

Old April 6th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

FZ07 is a fun bike, and quite a few people prefer it to the FZ09 - I picked the 07 as it's lighter and feels more alive, with tons of character; it is certainly a bike you can flog much more on the street than the 09.

I'll probably keep it, as it is a good highway ride and is a hoot around town. I just want a toy second bike that I can ride the heck out of... The 07 has a bit too much HP for my skill if I were to play Rossi on it
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #9
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Take the honda off your list. You'll be disappointed with the performance. I'd look at the R3 or a DRZ400SM
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #10
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
and you don't have to give up that torquey feeling.

Old April 6th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #11
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IZn-C0Wf2g#t=136

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
I'd look at the R3 or a DRZ400SM
But the DRZ400SM is carb ...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #12
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
CRF250L with CBR300R engine swap
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #13
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
When you said fun little bike, i was thinking smaller bikes such as the Kawasaki KSR 110. lol...

Old April 6th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
EX500 a lot of similar parts to the Ninjette, and just as easy and cheap to set-up too. Look for a 2nd Gen 94 & up, the 1st Gen has some mechanical issues which Kawasaki addressed. Transmission issues, and CCT. They also upgraded the rear brake to disc instead of drum, and 17" rims.

And yes I own one.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #15
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the term "fun little bike" and what it means.

We can all agree that it's more fun to push a tiny bike to it's limits than it is to putter around on something large without unleashing it's potential.

From my research it seems that the pinnacle of performance would be a CR500 single-cyl two stroke engine into a CRF250 dirtbike frame -- raise the front forks in the triple clamp, add some clip-ons and do away with the stock bars, supermoto wide rims and radial slick tires; barn-yard-engineering big brake kit up front with dual calipers and floating rotors, gear it for acceleration and in such a way that it tops out at 80mph. It would be a literal death machine. No riders without medical and dental insurance, and preferably with life insurance as well.

If you really do have more than a few marbles missing AND have had a few screws come loose over the years -- look into the maico 700cc two-stroke single-cyl snowmobile engines instead of the honda CR500 for a donor.

Being more realistic... I've been looking for a two-stroke 80 of some make, to couple with a stroker kit and a healthy overbore to net around 120cc of two-stroke power in a small framed 12" wheel dirt bike with adequate suspension and room for brake upgrades. Once again, a street machine with lowered front, radial slick tires and clip-ons.

If your goals are a little more sane and mild, there is large aftermarket support for 50/70/80cc four stroke minibikes. Stay away from chinese parts, they are everywhere.

A lot of fun can be had on small displacement bikes with properly set up suspension and brakes for full-sized riders.

I didn't like the ktm 390 much, it felt very tame and neutered in comparison to my built 250r.

Old April 7th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
I have heard a lot of complaints about the stability of the RC 390, you would be best to get either the Kawi or Yamaha
I have some time on a RC390, and didn't notice any stability issues. It's light and quick handling, but predictable. The engine is kinda flat and lackluster IMO. Not much happens, it just revs up without any peak or rush - then the shift light comes on.

For a fun little bike - maybe a Grom.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #17
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
So, I want a fun, nimble bike to toss around. The FZ07 I ride now is fine, but I want something smaller, more hooligun-like, to thrash around. Maybe track it, if I ever grow a pair

In my past life I had two of the "smaller" bikes: CB500F (didn't enjoy it much) and Ninjette 250, which was a lot of fun, but a bit weak on torque.

So, going forward, I see the following options:
KTM 390 Duke
Yamaha R3
Ninja 300
Honda CBR300R (possibly)

I haven't ridden any of these, so maybe someone who did, could chime in and offer his perspective on these.

Thanks folks!
You are asking this question on a Ninja 250/300 forum. The correct answer from your list is the Ninja 300.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #18
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Get the Grom with a Panigale engine swap.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.