ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #1
singlecoillover
ninjette.org member

Name: Barak

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja EX250-J Special Edition

How much popping? (and exhaust leak)

How much popping should I expect with 2-bros slip on when I decelerate, and what exactly does the popping mean? Is this indicative of a rich mixture? My bike likes to pop a LOT when I decelerate. Not just one or two pops, but repeated, if i touch the throttle right going down a hill I can do it nonstop the whole way down. I'm thinking about removing the snorkel to make it run leaner and balance the mixture.

Mods: 2bros slip on, shimmed needles (2 #4 washers under each needle)

Also, I picked up some high temp RTV silicone to seal my exhaust where the header meets the slip tube. I could use some tips on how exactly to seal it without making a huge mess.

Thanks much!
singlecoillover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Do you still have your Kleen air system installed? Adding a full system results in the popping, so maybe it affects a slip-on as well?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948

Also, adding a slip-on results in less back exhaust pressure and more free flowing air so more likely lean than rich. Have you tried 3 washers (usually what's recommended with slip-ons).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #3
singlecoillover
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the link. I hadn't read up on that one.

In answer to your question, I do still have it installed. I may try to plug it and see if I like the change before I remove the whole business. The popping doesn't necessarily bother me so much. I really just want to know if it's a sign of a condition that needs addressed. (ie: rich/lean)

Haven't tried 3. I wanted to start conservatively. Also with as bad as the MPG is on my bike I'm not sure I want to make it richer.

Old April 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #4
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

I have your exact same setup and I have alot of popping going on as well. To me, it's embarrassing and quite annoying. I'm interested to see what helps you out. I was considering just rejetting the bike, but I'm waiting on that for now.

Mine also loudly backfires sometimes on startup, but never while riding. Do you experience that at all?

2Bros with 2 washers under each needle.

Old April 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #5
kkim

remove the Kleen system, as mentioned.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
singlecoillover
ninjette.org member

Mine doesn't backfire on startup. Just pops when decelerating, going down hills, etc...

Old April 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlecoillover View Post
Mine doesn't backfire on startup. Just pops when decelerating, going down hills, etc...
so, exactly what didn't you understand in the link that was posted?

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #8
singlecoillover
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
so, exactly what didn't you understand in the link that was posted?
Ouch!

You guys will have to forgive me. I'm not terribly good at forum conversation. This is why I spend a lot of time lurking and not much time posting. If I mis-communicated something then I apologize.

I read the DIY, (thanks again to Cuongism for linking that) and I think it answered my question. The popping doesn't necessarily mean that my bike is rich or lean. It's just a by-product of the kleen air system being combined with an aftermarket pipe. (Unless I totally missed something...which is completely possible.)

Of course like I said in a previous post I don't necessarily want to rid myself of the noise, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't indicating a problem.

My last post was merely a response to nattygirl's question.

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #9
kkim

sorry, Barak. I just assumed you might have misinterpreted my answer of removing the Kleen system and confusing it with Natty's post. It is your choice, if the backfiring doesn't bother you... it just bugged the hell out of me until i found the solution.

my guess is that the exhaust mixture is lean due to the Kleen system injecting air during off throttle conditions, which leads to the popping.

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #10
singlecoillover
ninjette.org member

It's all good. It does read like I was making a nonsensical reply to you, lol.

I had always thought that the popping was unburnt fuel cooking off in the exhaust system, but apparently that's not the case. I guess the intake(?) mixture really has little to do with the mixture in the exhaust system.

Old April 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #11
kkim

well, it's just my opinion on why it's popping and my understanding on how the Kleen system works. As far as too rich or too lean, backfire and/or popping can be caused by both and is really hard to troubleshoot. All I know is, when an aftermarket exhaust is added to this bike, popping occurs during decel. removing the Kleen system eliminates it.

Old April 15th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #12
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Sorry for the confusion

I didn't want to have to take apart my bike again, but sounds like I'm going to have to give this a try. Cheaper than having a jet kit installed.

So I found this block off plate kit on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I bought it and am hoping the plate will fit our bike fine. From what I've read, the plates are the same sizes. I have a question though, this kit comes with a plug. Is this plug supposed to be used to block off this end? I hope so.

Old April 15th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #13
nelly07
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Did you get a chance to seal your exhaust? I have a two bros slip on as well and a have a slight leak. I don't think its in the connection tho. it feels like there is a small hole on the lip of the stock pipe
nelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #14
singlecoillover
ninjette.org member

I haven't yet. I'm planning an attempt tomorrow evening. The method I'm probably going to try is to put a medium sized bead of silicone around the stock pipe, slide the aftermarket on carefully, clean up any excess, clamp tight and then clean again. Not sure if this is the best way...I guess we'll see.

Old April 16th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #15
nelly07
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Let me know if that works. I need to figure something out for mine. Is it hurting it to drive it with the leak?

Good Luck!!
nelly07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:45 PM   #16
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Just wanted to give you an update on my two bros...

I took the Ninja out for a little ride today and all I got to say is "Wow!". I went from two to three washers in my carbs, removed the Kleen air system, and removed the snorkel. My bike feels so much better. The throttle response in first gear is dramatically improved, even from just the two washers. My exhaust did still pop a bit, but nothing like it did before. I definitely like the sound alot better. Kinda wish that maybe I would have left the snorkel in. You can tell how it effects the sound of the bike, but I'm not about to put it back in, so I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it.

KKIM... you're the man!

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:50 PM   #17
kkim

Nat,

if you're still getting some popping, make sure the slipon to pipe connection is tight and no air/exhaust gas is leaking from that joint.

glad to hear the bike is running better.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:56 PM   #18
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

What do you recommend I use to prevent leaks? I have noticed water come out from where the slipon attaches to the stock pipe, so I'm assuming that's probably where the leak is. Would some type of silicone lubricant work? I have this at home. Would this work? Says it "forms a resilient, tough, waterproof seal which resists vibration and extreme temperatures. Bonds to glass, metal, wood, plastic, concrete, and rubber."

Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:01 PM   #19
kkim

I'd recommend using a high temp RTV... usually called "red" RTV.

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #20
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

So if theres popping on decel on a full system then there might be an air leak? I removed the kleen air already.

And how would you describe the sound? Maybe I'm still not used to how loud the exhaust it
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #21
kkim

if you're sure you have the kleen system removed correctly, then yes, the next place I'd look for decel popping is an exhaust leak. Did you use new exhaust gaskets and torque the nuts to spec?

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #22
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
if you're sure you have the kleen system removed correctly, then yes, the next place I'd look for decel popping is an exhaust leak. Did you use new exhaust gaskets and torque the nuts to spec?
Yup even used a torque wrench

I think it may all be in my head

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #23
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Yup even used a torque wrench

I think it may all be in my head
your head pops on decel?

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #24
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
your head pops on decel?
Lol Is that what that noise is?!

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #25
kkim

from the kleen system removal DIY...

If, however, you have installed an aftermarket full system on your bike and have no catalytic converters to deal with, you may want to consider this mod. I have installed an Area P quiet core system and ever since I have installed it, I was getting popping and backfiring at very small throttle openings around town and on downhill decel throttle settings.

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #26
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:

If, however, you have installed an aftermarket full system on your bike and have no catalytic converters to deal with, you may want to consider this mod. I have installed an Area P quiet core system and ever since I have installed it, I was getting popping and backfiring at very small throttle openings around town and on downhill decel throttle settings.
Wait? What is This mod? The kleen removal?

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #27
kkim

Quote:
Wait? What is This mod? The kleen removal?
Quote:
I removed the kleen air already.
well, have you removed it or not?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #28
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:

When i meant this I was referring to what I bolded

(Ohh! Oh wow, I just read it wrong, no I get it, this mod referring to the kleen air removal, lol oops)

Quote:
Yup its removed

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #29
kkim

okay, so does your bike pop on decel or not?

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #30
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
okay, so does your bike pop on decel or not?
Honestly I dont know, I'm not sure if im thinking that just decel is making the noise or if it really popping. Its so much louder then stock that I think I might just be thinking its popping

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #31
kkim

okay... if you ever figure it out and is indeed popping, look for an exhaust leak at this point.