ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 16th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Name: First Name

Motorcycle(s): Honda RC46 VFR800, 2009 Ninjette

New lazy owner....

Okay, I briefly searched the forum for answers, but I thought I'd ping the membership, since I'm hoping these may be common issues and sometimes it's easier to ask people that have experience on these things...

Bought the Missus a 2009 last night, 21Kmiles and the thing looks to be in very good shape. Bought it kinda impulsively, at night, and drove it home. Here's what I see now....

Fuel gauge and very top of speedo is starting to fog up. Not from moisture, but looks more from U/V, like a car's headlight, only very mild. Same for the oil level window. Common?

I smell coolant. Everything is dry as a bone, with no blow-by that I can see. I haven't ripped the thing apart yet, but I will. But, I smell coolant, without a doubt. Common?

Stutter, only at light throttle input, and only between 7-8K RPM. Any gear/rev below that is fine, anything above that is fine. It's only on light throttle at 7-8K. I'm gonna run some seafoam through it I suppose, and change the plugs... but thought I'd ask. Common?

Other than that... the thing looks close to new as can be for a bike this age. I can attach pics, if needed.
Trinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Trinja,

None of those issues are common.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Trinja,

None of those issues are common.
LOL.... Welp, I guess let's turn it into a stunt bike.

Oh, and it looks like I posted in the wrong sub section. Wow, I'm dumb.

Okee dokee... not a great start.

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well, these lil bikes are pretty hard to mess up, but it's possible. Not common doesn't necessarily mean hard to fix.

Things to check;

Coolant: Make sure it's filled to proper level and is purged of all air pockets. Not ensuring things are right may result in the coolant overflow tube drainage. If the smell is very sweet, then it's leaking and burning before hitting the pavement. If more subtle, then could be coming out the exhaust.

Dash: The lens on the gauges can be taken apart and polished like car headlights if you have the right stuff. Otherwise, just replace it as it's not worth the time to try to fix vs cost to repair.

Stutter: You can try to run a tank of seafoam or 2 and it may help. Otherwise, it sounds like a carb clean/idle screw adjustment/float adjust and sync are in your near future. But first, is this only with the choke on or after fully warmed up?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 16th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
You should be able to use the same headlight polish on your speedo.

Pics are always a welcomed addition

Old September 17th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Trinja
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys, coolant smell is certainly there. No leaks that I can see though. I'm gonna show wifey how to change the oil tomorrow so I'll get better eyes on it....

Pulled the air filter... Has a bit of oil blow by on it. I'm just gonna buy a new one and start fresh.

And yup, gonna do the headlight treatment on the cluster, I was just trying to figure out if any of these issues are common on these things.

Plugs and seafoam too, while I'm at it.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Old September 17th, 2016, 03:37 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I smell coolant from mine sometimes, but ain't got no visible leaks either maybe it ghosting

Old September 17th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #9
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX250-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinja View Post
Thanks guys, coolant smell is certainly there. No leaks that I can see though. I'm gonna show wifey how to change the oil tomorrow so I'll get better eyes on it....

Pulled the air filter... Has a bit of oil blow by on it. I'm just gonna buy a new one and start fresh.

And yup, gonna do the headlight treatment on the cluster, I was just trying to figure out if any of these issues are common on these things.

Plugs and seafoam too, while I'm at it.

Thanks for the input, guys!
The coolant, I would let it sit running while I'm there watching it for 30 mins or so, ride around driveway /parking lots and then try to find a spot of the ground.
Or you can tear down the fairing on the right side and watch everywhere as its running, could be as simple as purging the system to get rid of the smell, is the fan coming on?

The stutter sounds like your carbs, run some cleaner through, don't be shy with the seafoam once, I'd put significantly more than they say to add to fuel, and run it all through.

And the gauges, use some mothers headlight restore, and call it a day 😎
BDfromBC is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.