Old August 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #41
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Explain, please.
The reason for this is the electronic noise cancelling technology utilises a microphone that picks up the noises around you; it then inverts the phase of that signal and feeds it into the headphones, thus causing the sound wave compressions and rarefactions to null each other out. While riding, this would, i theory, cause traffic sounds, horn honks, emergency vehicle sirens, etc. to be cancelled out, which would be a driving hazard. (It's why most places do not allow you to wear earbuds for listening to music while driving; it drowns out all important sounds like sirens)

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #42
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
The reason for this is the electronic noise cancelling technology utilises a microphone that picks up the noises around you; it then inverts the phase of that signal and feeds it into the headphones, thus causing the sound wave compressions and rarefactions to null each other out. While riding, this would, i theory, cause traffic sounds, horn honks, emergency vehicle sirens, etc. to be cancelled out, which would be a driving hazard. (It's why most places do not allow you to wear earbuds for listening to music while driving; it drowns out all important sounds like sirens)
I suppose it depends on what you are using. There are a number of electronic ears that only attenuate damaging noises, and will leave other noises alone, while others will actually amplify other noises, which makes them useful for thins like shooters who want to hear what's going on around them but don't want the ear damage.

Nevertheless, I don't think they block all noises, even ones that work on all noises equally, should be much like ear plugs, you still hear things, just more quietly.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #43
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
IIRC active noise canceling headphones work best with steady state, low frequency noise. They aren't designed to attenuate all frequencies. They might not be good for riding because they may block the frequencies you want to hear and attenuate ones you don't.

You'd have to research to determine which frequencies are blocked by particular brands though
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #44
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
So I went out and bought a new set of ear plugs and have been using them the last three days. Freaked me out that my bike was being pushed around by wind I couldn't hear.

Then I forgot them once after leaving the gas station. OMG how did I live with that?!?

Thank you!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 12:46 AM   #45
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Damn I had no idea. I always thought you wanted to hear street noises (traffic, sirens, etc.), and thought earplugs were counter-intuitive. But I just learned something new lol
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #46
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I can't get used to not hearing everything... It's better but scary at the moment ~_~

Old August 19th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #47
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
So I went out and bought a new set of ear plugs and have been using them the last three days. Freaked me out that my bike was being pushed around by wind I couldn't hear.

Then I forgot them once after leaving the gas station. OMG how did I live with that?!?

Thank you!
I used to not wear earplugs, for 150 miles round trip every day. I didn't start wearing them until I got a shorter route.... One day I forgot them, I have no idea how I lived without the plugs for so long, how I didn't go deaf, how I didn't go crazy.

Now I'm thinking about getting the better ones, probably will be the same thing if I eve use my current ones again.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #48
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I just let the ear wax build up and create a natural plug. Equivalent to -22db
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #49
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I just let the ear wax build up and create a natural plug. Equivalent to -22db
Too funny man! You really crack me up sometimes.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #50
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

I started wearing plugs a few months ago. you can hear the bike better and wind noise is almost nil.
thanks for the great info
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #51
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

...WHAT?

The first time I took a long ride at 75 mph, my ears were ringing afterwards! After that, I always wear my plugs if I'm going to be on the highway. I find that at anything under 65 mph, my helmet is pretty quiet.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #52
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Everyone at the track who wears them says it makes you actually hear the bike better with plugs in.
They will most likely make you faster too.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #53
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Yeah, with the plugs you will be much faster and more confident.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #54
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I like my lil squishy yellow plugs so far, I can hear horns, sirens, an screeching tires, but I still feel like I am missing some sounds I should hear... But with my hearing if probly be missing them anyway

Great thread!!!

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #55
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
I find that at anything under 65 mph, my helmet is pretty quiet.

I wish my helmet was as quiet. Even at 45 it's too loud for me. It's even a pretty nice helmet - Shoei RF1100.

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #56
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I wish my helmet was as quiet. Even at 45 it's too loud for me. It's even a pretty nice helmet - Shoei RF1100.
I bought a scorpion exo400, in my right size (not the medium I normally plop on my head) and it is surprising how much quieter it is than my HJC CL16. Idk how the cl would stack up in my right size though.

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #57
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I bought a scorpion exo400, in my right size (not the medium I normally plop on my head) and it is surprising how much quieter it is than my HJC CL16. Idk how the cl would stack up in my right size though.
My Shoei is medium also. Tried the small and it wouldn't fit at all. Maybe I need to find a different shape helmet next time. Maybe an Arai will fit better and have less noise for me.

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #58
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

I must already be hard of hearing, because even with my modular helmet and doing 80 mph on interstate its not very loud to me. at least not loud enough that I need to wear plugs.

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #59
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
I must already be hard of hearing, because even with my modular helmet and doing 80 mph on interstate its not very loud to me. at least not loud enough that I need to wear plugs.
I know lots of places and things that will destroy your hearing that your probly not think ya needed earplugs for... Ask me how I know

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #60
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
I know lots of places and things that will destroy your hearing that your probly not think ya needed earplugs for... Ask me how I know
oh I know it was prob due to the 12" subs I had in my car from the time I was 16 till about 25. Cranked that **** up! My wife tells me I am deaf all the time. I'm sure I will end up with hearing aids like my Dad.

Old August 20th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #61
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
My Shoei is medium also. Tried the small and it wouldn't fit at all. Maybe I need to find a different shape helmet next time. Maybe an Arai will fit better and have less noise for me.
Maybe the shape... Idk (it's your head) hahahaha
I just know I normally plop medium helmets on my small head because I like the way they look an their shape, size doesn't go well for me, so I break the rules and go look over function ( tisk tisk )
I know the scorpion is a pain to take off, but isn't bad to put on, and feels great wearing. So I'd say it was my size from what I know about proper size an such.
Ooooh bad choice of words, I have to close my eyes to take it off cause the way I pull it it does something to my eyebrows I don't like. It comes off fine without butter, oil, or the jaws of life

Old August 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #62
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
oh I know it was prob due to the 12" subs I had in my car from the time I was 16 till about 25. Cranked that **** up! My wife tells me I am deaf all the time. I'm sure I will end up with hearing aids like my Dad.
Haha kinda like my kicker solobaric L7 15's in my truck that everyone said would NEVER fit, amongst other things... Yes I have hearing lose from life, an the military, that's the way things go. I'm tryin to keep what I have now, an so I put plugs in my eyes when folks say ya need em or there is a sign stating you should have them, wether I feel I need them or not

Old August 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #63
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Haha kinda like my kicker solobaric L7 15's in my truck that everyone said would NEVER fit, amongst other things... Yes I have hearing lose from life, an the military, that's the way things go. I'm tryin to keep what I have now, an so I put plugs in my eyes when folks say ya need em or there is a sign stating you should have them, wether I feel I need them or not
at least my dad was able to get the VA to pay for his hearing aids due to the shelling he was around in Vietnam. Me on the other hand am screwed

Old August 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #64
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
They gave me earplugs... Said it was my fault I didn't use them correctly

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #65
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
I'm tryin to keep what I have now, an so I put plugs in my eyes when folks say ya need em
You might be using them incorrectly.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #66
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You might be using them incorrectly.
Hahahahahahaha... Nah I put em in my ears an know where they go

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #67
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I try to wear ear plugs, but it never works very well for me. I have tried several different types/brands of ear plugs and I have a very hard time keeping them in my ears, especially my right ear, when putting my helmet on.

... so I usually end up putting on and taking off my helmet several times until I get it right. If I'm in a hurry I don't even bother to try, it's just as annoying to have only one plug in your ears as not wearing them at all.

Anyone have any suggestions for ear plugs that I could be using to solve this problem?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #68
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I try to wear ear plugs, but it never works very well for me. I have tried several different types/brands of ear plugs and I have a very hard time keeping them in my ears, especially my right ear, when putting my helmet on.

... so I usually end up putting on and taking off my helmet several times until I get it right. If I'm in a hurry I don't even bother to try, it's just as annoying to have only one plug in your ears as not wearing them at all.

Anyone have any suggestions for ear plugs that I could be using to solve this problem?
You just have to find the right shape of earplug that works for you. It took me months to find the right ones. Had I known about the sample pack I would have gone that route immediately instead of spending a small fortune buying different ear plugs. There is a link on this thread of a website that will sell you a sample pack for you to try.

I also wouldnt be surprised if you had to mix and match shapes to work for your ears. Ive seen a couple people do that.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #69
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You can always go the custom route to have ones molded specifically for your ears. One suggestion is to get that trial kit as linked from the first post (another link), which has many different sized and shapes to see what works best.

But it's also possible that you're not putting them in correctly. The foam ones can't be easily pressed into most people's ear canal. You have to roll them up very tightly, and then quickly insert them all the way into your ear canal, and wait a few moments for them to expand again. If you don't roll them tightly enough, or you wait too long to get them in place, they won't seat correctly and might fall out. Just as importantly, they won't be providing the expected hearing protection either.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #70
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145197

I made a thread here about ear plugs that I think work well. I have a similar issue with getting the foam ones in correctly.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #71
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I can usually get the foam plugs to fit in my ears and block out noise. The problem is that they stick out of my ears, and when I put on my helmet the cheek pads pull the ear plugs out of my ears.

I'll just have to keep experimenting with different kinds of ear plugs, hopefully I'll find something that works.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #72
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You'd be the only one who'd be able to make that call, but if that much of the earplug is sticking out of your ears, it sure sounds like they aren't being inserted far enough into your ears.

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #73
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145197

I made a thread here about ear plugs that I think work well. I have a similar issue with getting the foam ones in correctly.
I took this suggestion and purchased a pair of EP4's (three-flange rubber plugs rather than a foam plug of the EP7's). It took a little getting used to in terms of seating them properly into my ears, but once I got the hang of it, they work perfectly. I find the rubber flange design is better than the foam ones because you don't have to fiddle around with squishing them down first.

One concern that I do have is that they advertise that they block out loud noises while allowing things like speech to pass through. How does this work with non-audible wind noise? That is, will the damaging high frequency wind noise that I don't hear pass through, rendering these plugs useless?
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #74
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
One suggestion is to get that trial kit as linked from the first post (another link), which has many different sized and shapes to see what works best.

But it's also possible that you're not putting them in correctly. The foam ones can't be easily pressed into most people's ear canal. You have to roll them up very tightly, and then quickly insert them all the way into your ear canal, and wait a few moments for them to expand again. If you don't roll them tightly enough, or you wait too long to get them in place, they won't seat correctly and might fall out. Just as importantly, they won't be providing the expected hearing protection either.
Fixed your link Alex, you had a backslash at the end and it took it to the site's homepage.

And yes, it could very well be that you're just trying to mash them in instead of rolling the plugs and straightening out your canal before inserting the plugs.

Old August 20th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #75
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
They will most likely make you faster too.
They made me crash.

Well, ok, ok, I made myself crash at Road Atlanta, but I happened to be wearing the earplugs for the first time at the track too.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #76
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Skully Helmets just provided a link to a story on Motorcycle.com that covers this topic. Thought I would share it.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/m...ring-loss.html
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #77
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
what article says

According to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, approximately 15 percent (26 million) of Americans between the ages of 20 and 69 have high frequency hearing loss due to exposure to loud sounds or noise at work or in leisure activities.

what NIDCD website actually says

Approximately 15 percent of Americans between the ages of 20 and 69—or 26 million Americans—have hearing loss that may have been caused by exposure to loud sounds or noise at work or in leisure activities.

see the difference

other than that info was pretty spot on regarding anatomy and way the ear works and just to nitpick a bit the cilia of the ear are called stereocilia.

Despite working in hearing loss research for a few years I don't wear ear plugs, I don't find the noise in my helmet to be all that loud if I did I would though.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #78
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
As someone who has hearing loss from birth, it sucks and earplugs are worth it. personally though I wear ear buds (check your local laws) to listen to music on longer rides and earplugs on shorter ones. The ear buds accomplish the same goal and I get entertainment on my commute to school (60 miles each way if I take the highway but I make it 90 on the way home )
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #79
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It really depends on the earbuds. If they aren't provided a good seal, you're just blasting music over wind noise; both of which will continue to damage hearing. Ones that actually provide hearing protection aren't common (or cheap).