ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: If you had to choose between the two..
Screw the rain! I'd rather ride in the cold, bundle up and use my heated grips! 14 29.17%
Cold weather sucks. I'd rather be caught in the rain 18 37.50%
I love the rain and cold! Bring it ON!! 7 14.58%
Not really sure.. I'm yet to experience them entirely 1 2.08%
Other answer (comment!) 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 31st, 2014, 03:14 PM   #41
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...you really are such a noob
What is your problem?

Again I'm not saying they would save a life and be heard in pouring rain every time but there's a very good chance of making a bikers presence more prominent when they can be heard, if that makes any sense to you.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old May 31st, 2014, 03:39 PM   #42
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What is your problem?
Loud pipes suck.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:50 PM   #43
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Loud pipes suck.
Why do they suck? And not loud, but more of an aggressive sounding one. I had a growler pipe but got rid of it because of how obnoxious it was, the Leo Vince SBK I have on now with out the baffle is an agressive sorta loud, I'd still like to be heard when coming down the street.

Old May 31st, 2014, 04:04 PM   #44
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Quote:
Why do they suck?
I suppose it depends on the situation. My neighbours do not want to be woken up at 7am by me starting up my 250 to go to work.

Perhaps you only take your bike out mid-day when the neighbours aren't trying to sleep, or perhaps your exhaust isn't much louder than stock. Without hearing it first hand, I can't say.

I can understand putting on a loud pipe if you are on the track. There, the need is to lighten your bike and get as much power out of the engine as possible - but I don't think we are talking about track riding.

As for the argument that "loud pipes save lives" or some other such B/S, that is what a horn is for.

Old May 31st, 2014, 04:33 PM   #45
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I suppose it depends on the situation. My neighbours do not want to be woken up at 7am by me starting up my 250 to go to work.

Perhaps you only take your bike out mid-day when the neighbours aren't trying to sleep, or perhaps your exhaust isn't much louder than stock. Without hearing it first hand, I can't say.

I can understand putting on a loud pipe if you are on the track. There, the need is to lighten your bike and get as much power out of the engine as possible - but I don't think we are talking about track riding.

As for the argument that "loud pipes save lives" or some other such B/S, that is what a horn is for.
I wasn't trying to argue when I first said that but I guess this forum never fails to excite.. I don't know if you guys are taking everything I say too seriously. I believe a loud exhaust will be helpful in conditions where one might not see you, it's a similar reason to why there is reflective and neon gear, it's so you make a better presence while riding if I'm not wrong. (I'm really not trying to be a smart ass, and since I'm still a fairly new rider I don't want to seem like one)

Horns are usually used when something bad is about to go down 2 seconds before.. you're not going down the street constantly hitting the horn while you ride all the time to avoid someone cutting into you're lane, are you? it will usually be used when that happens, too late sometimes.

I do agree our conditions vary a lot, I find my pipe to be useful in the city I live in where there are a lot of red lights / stop signs / and just usually generally crowded so I'm not going to deny it and it has probably helped people see me plenty of times where it could have been worse.

Old May 31st, 2014, 04:56 PM   #46
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I wasn't trying to argue when I first said that but I guess this forum never fails to excite.. I don't know if you guys are taking everything I say too seriously. I believe a loud exhaust will be helpful in conditions where one might not see you, it's a similar reason to why there is reflective and neon gear, it's so you make a better presence while riding if I'm not wrong. (I'm really not trying to be a smart ass, and since I'm still a fairly new rider I don't want to seem like one)

Horns are usually used when something bad is about to go down 2 seconds before.. you're not going down the street constantly hitting the horn while you ride all the time to avoid someone cutting into you're lane, are you? it will usually be used when that happens, too late sometimes.

I do agree our conditions vary a lot, I find my pipe to be useful in the city I live in where there are a lot of red lights / stop signs / and just usually generally crowded so I'm not going to deny it and it has probably helped people see me plenty of times where it could have been worse.
You can get a drivers licence even if you can not hear a thing. There is a sight test.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 05:00 PM   #47
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
You can get a drivers licence even if you can not hear a thing. There is a sight test.
Didn't know that lol. How will you be able to hear for sirens and police? and when you get horned at for driving in on a one way street?!

Old May 31st, 2014, 05:03 PM   #48
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Didn't know that lol. How will you be able to hear for sirens and police? and when you get horned at for driving in on a one way street?!
ya right
DEAL

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:09 AM   #49
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

I can take the rain, I can take the cold, but rain and cold is for the birds.

The rule I use is ride your age, if you are 29, you can ride down to 29'F, if you are 49... 49'F

my tires really REALLY don't like anything under about 40'F so I really draw the line there... but my rule is, if it's not raining or snowing on me when I leave for work in the morning... I ride.

I spent a year in New York state and rode all winter long, that was just nuts.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:42 AM   #50
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It's never cold and it only rains when you're sleeping in paradise. In other words I haven't experienced it lately.

When I was young and dumb I would ride in anything, just to ride.

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:49 AM   #51
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
You werent dumb @CC Cowboy

I do the same thing now lol

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:30 AM   #52
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2014, 09:33 AM   #53
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Neither one really bothers me unless it's torrential rain or long range in 40f/5c or below.

I've done ~300 miles at 2c, doing 95mph for the final hour (windchill made it -17c), that was not fun, but I had to catch a ferry. I've been in rain so heavy that I couldn't see much beyond 50ft while up the mountains on numerous times. I'll be honest I didn't like that either. Sleet has got to be the worst, it collects in a certain area, soaks through with freezing water & is very very unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua95 View Post
Well ever since I got my bike I have never been riding on a rain yet and probably will never ride in the rain cus its just really dangerous.

I don't really like riding on cold the coldest I have been riding is about 60 ish and it sucks I hate cold.
You just have to improve your skills & be smooth with your control inputs, riding in the rain is no big deal & not something that you should psych yourself out about. If you're caught out in the rain just go nice & easy on the controls, when you think you're a capable rider go for a ride in light rain & see.

This is highly tuned 1000cc superbikes racing on public roads in Northern Ireland (North West 200 race, same as the vid above)

Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:54 AM   #54
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Why do they suck? And not loud, but more of an aggressive sounding one. I had a growler pipe but got rid of it because of how obnoxious it was, the Leo Vince SBK I have on now with out the baffle is an agressive sorta loud, I'd still like to be heard when coming down the street.
They suck because they offer no safety factor. People claim they save lives, but in modern cares with windows up a/c blaring and the radio on inside the car, not to mention the publication of modern vehicles claiming to block out outside noise to make the ride more comfortable. Loud pipes just piss off people in residential areas. Those people in turn go and complain to the local government to get restrictions applied to us. Loud Pipes just piss people off that already hate motorcyclists.

Quote:
that is why you have to have your eye sight checked.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2014, 04:04 PM   #55
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
They suck because they offer no safety factor. People claim they save lives, but in modern cares with windows up a/c blaring and the radio on inside the car, not to mention the publication of modern vehicles claiming to block out outside noise to make the ride more comfortable. Loud pipes just piss off people in residential areas. Those people in turn go and complain to the local government to get restrictions applied to us. Loud Pipes just piss people off that already hate motorcyclists.

that is why you have to have your eye sight checked.

I am not trying to argue with more experienced riders, that is not why I joined this forum, I've learned so much from you guys and this is an awesome place but just let me openly share and include my debate and opinions with out being snared upon as a complete newb..

I believe there are ways to keep it down when leaving the neighborhood, keeping the revs low and coasting in 1st or 2nd gear, it doesn't have to be earth shattering loud, and I sure switched my pipe out not just for safety but for looks / maybe some added performance. Whoever would be complaining REALLY must hate us.

It comes down to where you live and ride. With someone who has obviously had more riding experience than me I hate to argue with but I believe there are indeed situations where if an exhaust more prominent would be heard it would have helped other people look for / and see them quicker. Again, I hate LOUD can exhausts, I like an aggressive noticeable sound, loud is just obnoxious on a sportbike IMO. We can leave that to the Harley's with loud a** screaming pipes. This is not only coming from me, but tons of people who had situations where a car was pulling into a lane (if a CAR can fit into someones blind spot coming down a main road think of how much more work would go into spotting a bike in a blind spot), or if you have a jay-walker (everyone jay walks) who doesn't hear you and is usually just focused on trying to cross the street, what now?

I don't get the old argument that it pisses off people, that's not my problem and is a lame, hackneyed argument in general, I will be making a video of how my Leo Vince with out the baffle sounds, and I doubt it's that loud enough to get on anyone's nerves... even so, none of us are going around our neighborhood obnoxiously kicking the throttle are we?

This guy sums it up better than I can, and I love his Boston accent..

Old June 1st, 2014, 04:16 PM   #56
Whiskey

Quote:

I am not trying to argue with more experienced riders, that is not why I joined this forum, I've learned so much from you guys and this is an awesome place but just let me openly share and include my debate and opinions with out being snared upon as a complete newb..

I believe there are ways to keep it down when leaving the neighborhood, keeping the revs low and coasting in 1st or 2nd gear, it doesn't have to be earth shattering loud, and I sure switched my pipe out not just for safety but for looks / maybe some added performance. Whoever would be complaining REALLY must hate us.

It comes down to where you live and ride. With someone who has obviously had more riding experience than me I hate to argue with but I believe there are indeed situations where if an exhaust more prominent would be heard it would have helped other people look for / and see them quicker. Again, I hate LOUD can exhausts, I like an aggressive noticeable sound, loud is just obnoxious on a sportbike IMO. We can leave that to the Harley's with loud a** screaming pipes. This is not only coming from me, but tons of people who had situations where a car was pulling into a lane (if a CAR can fit into someones blind spot coming down a main road think of how much more work would go into spotting a bike in a blind spot), or if you have a jay-walker (everyone jay walks) who doesn't hear you and is usually just focused on trying to cross the street, what now?

I don't get the old argument that it pisses off people, that's not my problem and is a lame, hackneyed argument in general, I will be making a video of how my Leo Vince with out the baffle sounds, and I doubt it's that loud enough to get on anyone's nerves... even so, none of us are going around our neighborhood obnoxiously kicking the throttle are we?

Sound is a pressure wave, the pipe points backwards so that's where the wave goes, you get a little going sideways as it exits the mouth of the pipe & less going forwards. The horn points forwards

If you like the sound of a loud pipe, or want an increase in power + less weight then fair enough but loud pipes saves lives is bollox.

Old June 1st, 2014, 04:18 PM   #57
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Well, Brian, I don't know how loud your aftermarket exhaust is, so it's hard for me to comment any further about your bike or your riding style. I know this: I love motorcycles, but I sure hate it when some knuckle dragger blaps past my home late in the evening or early in the morning with open pipes. It sounds like you are considerate of your neighbours, unlike some riders.

I get that some folks like the sound of the engine, and I have no problem with that. Thing is, after riding a couple of dozen different motorcycles over the same number of years, I've _never_ seen a case of "loud pipes save lives" where the liberal use of the horn didn't do a better job of getting an idiot cager's attention.

Old June 1st, 2014, 05:17 PM   #58
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
if you have a jay-walker (everyone jay walks) who doesn't hear you and is usually just focused on trying to cross the street, what now?
You are responsible for what happens in front of you end of story. You have to be attentive to what is happening. Developing skills over time to identify what poses a potential hazard to you. Does Sturgis Bike Week ring a bell for you? Many times I hear the story that the driver did not see the biker, but they had the loudest pipes and still got hit. Again loud pipes will only work if all drivers on the road have their windows down and no radios on inside the car.

Quote:
This is again your inexperience working against you, you are arguing about something you have no knowledge of.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old June 1st, 2014, 05:30 PM   #59
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I can always hear a bike coming. I know, I know, I'm a super human but I'm sure one or two others can hear it too.

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:41 PM   #60
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Maybe Brian should start another poll: loud pipes vs. quiet...

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM   #61
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Maybe Brian should start another poll: loud pipes vs. quiet...
Most definitely This thread is already turning in to that.

I do agree with all of you, and everything you are saying. While I don't think we should blame ourselves if we do get in an accident where someone pulls out in front of us or we hit a pedestrian, (it is THEIR fault, not ours) it's in our control to defend ourselves before it happens.

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:52 PM   #62
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I can always hear a bike coming. I know, I know, I'm a super human but I'm sure one or two others can hear it too.
Your average cager would not know what they were hearing, same as looking at you.

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:01 PM   #63
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Your average cager would not know what they were hearing, same as looking at you.
I do realize that in Pennsyltuckey things are different. They have some sucky drivers there.

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:04 PM   #64
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I do realize that in Pennsyltuckey things are different. They have some sucky drivers there.
Curtis drivers drives New Yorkers crazy.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:07 PM   #65
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
What the heck is that supposed to mean? It must be in Pennsyltuckian! Who is Curtis and what does he have to do with anything?

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:21 PM   #66
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
...........it's in our control to defend ourselves before it happens.

Old June 1st, 2014, 08:05 PM   #67
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
Quote:
What the heck is that supposed to mean? It must be in Pennsyltuckian! Who is Curtis and what does he have to do with anything?
Being fluent in "pennsyltuckian" (as you call it), what he meant to say was as follows:

Pennsylvania drivers, while we may not be the best, are very courteous. As such, we seem to irritate our northern brotheren, who, for reasons unknown to us, feel the need to go from breakneck speed to traffic jam. This is inevitably caused by a gentlemen resident of Pennsylvania yeilding the right of way to his brother from the north, which in turn confuses the New Yorker and causes an accident. We truly apologize for the inconvenience and hope we haven't ruined your day or made you late. Here, have some moonshine =)

*please note this is a rough translation

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:22 PM   #68
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
.........our northern brotheren, who, for reasons unknown to us, feel the need to go from breakneck speed to traffic jam.......
....... And I thought that they only did that when visiting Florida in the winter ...........

Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:33 AM   #69
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
Being fluent in "pennsyltuckian" (as you call it), what he meant to say was as follows:

Pennsylvania drivers, while we may not be the best, are very courteous. As such, we seem to irritate our northern brotheren, who, for reasons unknown to us, feel the need to go from breakneck speed to traffic jam. This is inevitably caused by a gentlemen resident of Pennsylvania yeilding the right of way to his brother from the north, which in turn confuses the New Yorker and causes an accident. We truly apologize for the inconvenience and hope we haven't ruined your day or made you late. Here, have some moonshine =)

*please note this is a rough translation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
....... And I thought that they only did that when visiting Florida in the winter ...........
I see PA plates driving like idiots all up and down the east coast. I guess they think, "very courteous" means asleep in the left lane because they are ALWAYS causing dangerous situations for eveyone else on the road. The problem might be summed up with, "yeilding the right of way". Most drivers "yield". Pennsyltuckey gentleman "yeild". It must be something they do with sheep or goats.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:10 PM   #70
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

somehow... I knew a typo would be used against me lol

Just for the record: PA drivers do suck lol but cagers suck everywhere

Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:54 PM   #71
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Been so long since I posted! Would rather tackle rain than cold weather. Even with heated gloves and decent gear, I still get cold. And I don't want to deal with ice at all. Rain isn't too bad if you stay dry and don't go crazy on the throttle. Would take rain over cold any day of the week.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #72
Whiskey

Quote:

I do agree with all of you, and everything you are saying. While I don't think we should blame ourselves if we do get in an accident where someone pulls out in front of us or we hit a pedestrian, (it is THEIR fault, not ours) it's in our control to defend ourselves before it happens.
Enjoy trying to explain that to a judge.
Unless the ped walks into the side of your bike you are at fault.
Eyes open and begin to use that lump between your ears

Old June 4th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #73
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Must be thinking about the "over the border northern french ones"....

héhéhéhéhéhéhéhéhéhéhéhé...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #74
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:

everything that happens in front of you is under your control, the level of you skills dictates what happens there forth.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old June 4th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #75
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
After being stuck in the rain yesterday, i can say without a doubt i would pick rain over cold any day.

Though the monsoon yesterday on rt1 did suck a bit...

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote