ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 20th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Methods to silencing wind noise?

Helmet likes to whistle even with the intakes closed. I'm honestly considering putting tape over it. I hear it mostly from the top vent.

That and better ear plugs, does anyone have recommendations? Most of commute is on the highway. That or some really well fitted earbuds. One that doesn't block off all noise (since I still need to hear the traffic) but does a good job at staying on and blocking a good amount of wind noise.

Old October 20th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Ear plugs that block out wind noise, but not traffic noise.....I too would like to hear this
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #3
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Ear plugs that block out wind noise, but not traffic noise.....I too would like to hear this
Lol.

Like I said, it can't block off all noise so obviously I'd tolerate a good amount of wind noise.

Actually, now that you've got me thinking, I dont really hear vehicles when I'm on the highway 'cus of the wind. I'm more or less kept to myself and making sure I have a visual of everything going on around me.

So do people normally wear plugs to block out everything? I'd imagine not hearing traffic would be undesirable on local roads though. I'd like to hear a honk if I'm about to cross an intersection and a driver decides to run a stop sign -- though I'd hope I had already anticipated his ill intent well before approaching the intersection.

Old October 20th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I think I'd be more worried about failing to notice someone in my blind spot then changing lanes in front of him. That's definitely a honk I'd want to hear.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 12:25 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Don't ever wear earplugs and in about 20 years those troublesome noises won't bother you anymore
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Christofini
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Between my schuberth and gore balaclava I don't hear any wind noise. Even with my older (crappier) helmet I had minimal wind noise with my balaclava. I sit rather upright so the windstream from my windshield hits me just above the visor. It's worked for me, though I'm a rather tall guy. I dislike earplugs
Christofini is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 03:52 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
....So do people normally wear plugs to block out everything? I'd imagine not hearing traffic would be undesirable on local roads though. I'd like to hear a honk if I'm about to cross an intersection and a driver decides to run a stop sign -- though I'd hope I had already anticipated his ill intent well before approaching the intersection.
A combination of a good designed and properly fitting helmet, good and properly worn ear plugs and taller windscreen can help reduce wind noise, but still allow you to hear most vehicle noise (such as noise, extra loud exhaust) This article has good info on wind noise. http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_m...clefacts.shtml

Tons of discussions and info on the forum about ear plugs.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=477470
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=652027
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145753
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=663711
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 21st, 2013, 04:27 AM   #8
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

You can still hear things on city streets with plugs, it's just reduced volume. Horns are plenty loud enough, you can hear most car engines as well as pedestrians talking.

wind noise... bigger windscreen and tuck. When I'm on the highway cruising at speed, I'm typically tucked in the wind bubble behind my screen to avoid the noise.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 06:51 AM   #9
perplexed
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R..... BLUE, 2000 Kawasaki W650

I always wear disposable earplugs, rated at 25db reduction IF and only IF inserted properly. So many people just dont put them in right. These are designed to reduce industrial noise mostly but work across most frequencies.
I switched from a cheap and nasty M2R helmet to a Shoei TZ-X (Qwest in USA). I expected a much quieter ride so didn't put plugs in. Massive improvement to stability, but still not impressed with level of noise getting into my ears.
I bought the whisper kit for the Shoei helmet which really did stuff all.
I bought a taller screen, Zero Gravity touring screen, big difference to wind buffeting, so everall some noise reduction achieved. I can tuck behind the screen and go from hearing some wind noise to only hearing the engine scream at me.
I still think the helmet is a lemon. I get whistles that require me to open and close the visor. I'm certain the visor closure system is not up to scratch, or the visor is warped. That said, the clamping/closure system on the Shoei should pull it tight. It doesn't leak water, I've tested that.
Filling out the space between neck and bottom of the helmet really cuts down noise into the bottom of the helmet.
I'd like to see the Sena, Scala etc adapt the noise cancelling microphone technology to speakers that sit near your ears, cancelling out the worst of the frequencies. I'd buy that!

Thats my AUD0.02 worth... now below par
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
Helmet likes to whistle even with the intakes closed. I'm honestly considering putting tape over it. I hear it mostly from the top vent............
You can experiment closing the vents, but the main source of wind noise is the zone of turbulence created behind your neck and under the rear portion of the edge of the helmet.

Try blocking any direct opening from that zone to your ears and you may feel a great improvement.

Helmets' cushioning material is molded for a generic head shape; hence, it will not perfectly conform to your specific shape and there may be tunnels that connect your ears to the turbulent exterior.

Ear plugs will never be able to cancel 100% of the noise because some is transmitted through the bones surrounding the inner ear.

While on the highway and wearing plugs, I can hear everything happening around me, only that at a lower level.

Read this article:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm

Link to original page on YouTube.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You can experiment closing the vents, but the main source of wind noise is the zone of turbulence created behind your neck and under the rear portion of the edge of the helmet.

Try blocking any direct opening from that zone to your ears and you may feel a great improvement.

Helmets' cushioning material is molded for a generic head shape; hence, it will not perfectly conform to your specific shape and there may be tunnels that connect your ears to the turbulent exterior.

Ear plugs will never be able to cancel 100% of the noise because some is transmitted through the bones surrounding the inner ear.

While on the highway and wearing plugs, I can hear everything happening around me, only that at a lower level.

Read this article:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm

Link to original page on YouTube.

This thread really has me thinking about the earplugs now. I need to get some that are better fitted and guaranteed at the db rating it's rated for.

As for wind noise, it's more.....there's two types of wind noise I'm hearing. One's a whistling noise that happens moreso at high speed (which really, really bothers me) and than the generic wind noise that gradually gets more intense as the speed increases (which this helmet does a decent job of stifling).

The noise is kind of like when you blow on the edge of a dollar bill but not as intense.

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:57 AM   #12
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

Inspired by ninjette.org, I started using earplugs rated at 33db about a year ago. Never had any issues with hearing traffic noise. Just got used to hearing everything at a lower volume.

I don't wear earplugs while going to university or the grocery store as it takes me about 4 minutes (no freeway)
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:14 AM   #13
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
Inspired by ninjette.org, I started using earplugs rated at 33db about a year ago. Never had any issues with hearing traffic noise. Just got used to hearing everything at a lower volume.

I don't wear earplugs while going to university or the grocery store as it takes me about 4 minutes (no freeway)
As posted by some of the users above, wind noise increases with speed so I'm sure we both know it's fine on local roads unless there's hurricane throwing wind at you or if you're in squid mode trying to get the best quarter mile

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:10 PM   #14
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

So I found out what was causing the whistling noise.

I took a super close inspection of my visor and I saw that there was some decent space between it and the right side of the helmet while it sat flush on the left side. The piece that sits between the right side of the helmet and the visor was loose but the screw is spinning freely so I'd assume the threading is damaged. Ive emailed RevZilla and I'm hoping they can help me.

By the way, I bought a container of 40 ear plugs rated for 33 db btw. NIGHT AND DAY. The engine sounds kind of funny now on local roads though with them on. Not that it's a bad thing.

Old October 21st, 2013, 05:04 PM   #15
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

Started using earplugs this season and cannot ride without them now. The plugs block out wind noise and allow me to hear traffic.
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 05:52 PM   #16
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I did a solid 300 mile ride, averaging 90 mph, only stopping for coffee & petrol, could not hear a thing outside my head all the next day. Have worn earplugs on the bike ever since.

Sounds weird saying this but I hear more with them in than without them.

Former artillery gunner so I know just how deaf loud noises can make people (WHAT? ... WHAT? ) and that finding a decent fitting set of plugs makes a big difference. the issued inners were ****, they never fit me right & were painful to wear, so I didn't/ Regularly kneeling with my head inches from the barrel of a 120mm heavy mortar as it fired was less painful than a long fast ride without plugs.

Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:46 PM   #17
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good to see other riders appreciating ear plugs. Finding a pair of well fitting earplugs that work for you should be just as high on the priority list as buying a helmet. Can't ride safely if you can't focus because of noise fatigue.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I'm hard of hearing so the wind noise doesn't really bother me. I've gotten used to hearing just pieces of conversations and have resorted to learning (and now helping teach) ASL. That being said, my helmet blocks out a lot of noise anyways and I wear earplugs.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #19
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

I have a pair of these that I use for riding and shooting, found them at the local gun store for $12 they're a lot more comfortable than the disposable ones and come with a small carrying container.

http://www.amazon.com/SureFire-Defen.../dp/B0012XT8B6

Old October 29th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #20
azn370z
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

At first I used the plug in ear canal ear buds. But the exhaust drone was too much for my ears.

This is what I use. http://www.earplugsonline.com/
It blocks out the wind, and exhaust drone noise. But I can still hear traffic noise and my shifts. I can be crusing at 8k to 12k rpm. I can't imagine riding without these ear plugs as I do ride a lot, over 12k miles so far this year.
azn370z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #21
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

I wear plugs and i hear other cars just fine.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #22
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

I once read an analogy that earplugs are to loud noise as sunglasses are to a sunny day.

They actually allow you to hear better.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #23
Loadthis
ninjette.org member

Name: Evan

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

I wear earplugs anytime I'm riding at highway speeds. I have no problem picking up traffic noises. In fact, i think it enhances my overall SA (situational awareness) because I don't have to deal with the wind noise.
A lot of guys I work with use these and really like them but they might not be comfortable inside a helmet. http://www.earplugstore.com/surefire...plugs-ep3.html
Loadthis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #24
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadthis View Post
I wear earplugs anytime I'm riding at highway speeds. I have no problem picking up traffic noises. In fact, i think it enhances my overall SA (situational awareness) because I don't have to deal with the wind noise.
A lot of guys I work with use these and really like them but they might not be comfortable inside a helmet. http://www.earplugstore.com/surefire...plugs-ep3.html
I'm on the fence with this. One advantage is that it'll always be put on correctly but it's rated lower than my disposables. The disadvantage of the disposables though is that they're a PITA to fit sometimes and they kind of go in pretty far so I get cautious that it may cause impacted earwax down the line.

Old November 7th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #25
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I did a solid 300 mile ride, averaging 90 mph, only stopping for coffee & petrol, could not hear a thing outside my head all the next day. Have worn earplugs on the bike ever since.

Sounds weird saying this but I hear more with them in than without them.

Former artillery gunner so I know just how deaf loud noises can make people (WHAT? ... WHAT? ) and that finding a decent fitting set of plugs makes a big difference. the issued inners were ****, they never fit me right & were painful to wear, so I didn't/ Regularly kneeling with my head inches from the barrel of a 120mm heavy mortar as it fired was less painful than a long fast ride without plugs.

Former 13B gun bunny here!

I love my hearing or what's left of it lol

Old November 8th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #26
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Thanks for your service guys.

I don't like the disposable expanding earplugs because they make my head feel like it is going to explode. I had a custom molded earplug made for me at a helmet event held at a local motorcycle store. They squirted a silicon based gel into my ear which dried into a soft pliable plug that fits in my ear canal perfectly. The wind and engine drone is dialed back quite a bit. I can still hear traffic noises and can carry a conversation with someone up to 3 feet away, with the engines off. I also can hear my phone clearly through the cardo speakers in my helmet.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote