ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 18th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Strafing / Tailgating - don't do it.

Saw something on a ride a short while back and wanted to write it up on the site. I was riding on the highway coming home after a Marin ride, and came upon another motorcyclist going in the same direction, and going almost the same speed. From outward appearances, seemed to be a non-newbie. (full gear, riding a newer Concours 14). What I noticed was that several times when he was changing lanes, he would cross behind a car in the adjacent lane with only a few feet to spare. In other words, if he was in lane #3, and came up upon traffic, he would make his way over to lane #1. And then if he hit traffic again, he'd sometimes do the same back to lane #3. The lane-switching wasn't jerky or haphazard, and he smoothly transitioned across the lanes each time. But twice, the clearance behind the car he was strafing in lane #2 was quite small. If car #2 had hit their brakes for any reason at all (something in the road, traffic slowing, flat tire, gets spooked when they see a bike crossing nearby), there's a very good chance he'd smack their bumper before reacting.

I think sometimes riders (and drivers) on the highway start to get zoned out and believe that the cars around them are stationary in place, and just happen to all be moving the same speed down the road. I think it's important to remember that at any time, the speed and even direction of one of the cars can change very quickly, and each one needs to be treated as its own hazard that you have an escape plan for avoiding. Being 3 feet off the bumper of one of them at speed, even if only for a few moments, means there isn't an escape plan and you're only relying on luck that they do continue at exactly the speed you assume.

TL;DR: Don't tailgate other cars, even if only in the process of passing them to get to a lane beside them.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good public service announcement, as this is something I'm sure we're all guilty of at times. I know I catch myself doing this every now and then.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Good public service announcement,

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thanks, Alex.

I have seen so many objects appear from under the cars ahead of my bike, that I think of the strip of road among their tires as conveyor belts.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wow, it's been a while since I have seen that! Do they even do the 'More you know..' stuff anymore?!

When I ride, I keep a couple car lengths between me and the car in front of me at all times... Since I have only been riding for a few months, I want/need all the cushion I can get! LOL! It makes me nervous seeing the riders that weave in and out of traffic! Car or Motorcycles!

Old March 18th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. ijs...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknyght View Post
Wow, it's been a while since I have seen that! Do they even do the 'More you know..' stuff anymore?!
The only ones I actually remember are the spoofs that Conan O'Brien used to do. They still crack me up.

Alex, sound advice as always sir.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #8
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
The only ones I actually remember are the spoofs that Conan O'Brien used to do. They still crack me up.
LOL! Those were good too!

The 'real ones' I remember seeing during cartoon commercials after I got home from school (and on Saturday mornings) back in the 80's... God, I am old... LOL!

Old March 19th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Using lane splitting in CA, I could limit my time in close proximity be being only a moment, so I was tempted to do a lot of that. No more, and not just because I'm not in CA!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #10
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Also important in case the person you are tailgating randomly swerves to avoid a wheelbarrow in the middle of the highway.

If I had been tailgating I would have not been able to react and probably would be dead.

THEREFORE:

Don't tailgate or you will get *DEATH BY WHEELBARROW!*
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
Also important in case the person you are tailgating randomly swerves to avoid a wheelbarrow in the middle of the highway.

If I had been tailgating I would have not been able to react and probably would be dead.

THEREFORE:

IT WAS A GOOD DEATH. /Klingon
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #12
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

@Alex you make a really good point there man, to be truthful, I am guilty of cutting too close. Usually, I make sure there is at least 2-3 car lengths to move through and I keep a safe distance away from the rear of the vehicle I'm trying to pass. But, like you said there is little room for error.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #13
jason_hann53
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

safe>sorry
jason_hann53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #14
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_hann53 View Post
safe>sorry
+1
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:27 PM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post

THEREFORE:

Can you imagine showing up at the Pearly Gates after that?

St. Peter (stifling a laugh): "Wait, you... what? How did you die again? That's hysterical!"
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:01 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
solid advice especially in heavy traffic. when you go to shoulder check for getting into the target lane, guy in the strafing lane can easily tap the breaks and put you on your ass if you are tailgating. i've made the mistake three times now where i was swinging around someone, went to shoulder check, was too close as the person in front hit the brakes. luckily only once were there any consequences.