ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 1st, 2015, 05:34 PM   #1
BlueDragon
Certifiably Awkward

Name: Ashley

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

First ride in the rain...

For over a year, I managed to never get caught riding in the rain. I always drove a car, got a ride or took public transit when it was even a little gray out. That ended today... I ended up having to deal with a 40 minute commute in the middle of rush hour while it rained on me in my jeans, with my not waterproof jacket and gloves, and my bookbag with all of my notebooks in it. Luckily I was wearing waterproof shoes though.

Riding in the rain was more different than I thought it would be. From the first time I rolled the throttle I could feel the ninja respond differently. I adjusted to the unfamiliar conditions as best as I could, leaving more room in front of me and traveling at a lower speed but it was difficult to control all of this during rush hour where there was a lot of breaking every few minutes.

There were times where I could feel the back tire lose tracking and slip for a second but it always came back. This could be because I hold the clutch every time I break, not sure if that's bad practice or not, thoughts?

During a stretch of open road the car in front of me suddenly slammed on their brakes so I slowed down quickly, that's when I lost control of the back wheel completely. It started sliding left and right of the front wheel that was still moving forward in a straight line. I started freaking out in my head and did everything I could remember.

I remember reading about ABS, and since I did not have that, I repeatedly released and reengaged the brakes smoothly and put my feet down to slide along the pavement to stabilize the bike. Some feet later, I was able to regain control of the back wheel and stop before hitting the car in front of me. The rest of the way home I rode way under the speed limit because I was scared.

I got home, soaking wet, cold, and a shaken up. I immediately changed into comfy clothes and went into burrito formation in my bed. Let's just say it might be another year before I ride in the rain again...

Side note, it was surprisingly easy to see. I always thought it would be like trying to look through the windshield of a car but it was easier than that.

Old October 1st, 2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
hmm, rear sliding around shouldn't be happening even in the rain. Were you on your rear brake?

also, that's downright amazing that you never got caught in the rain until now
@csmith12 time for an "it's always sunny in philly" type achievement?

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

welcome to the world of riding in the rain.

everything is exaggerated in the rain, the feel of the brakes, the rear, cornering, allow yourself more space, more time, less lean angle.

good and fresh rubber will help, but you will never be as good in the rain as you are in the dry.

and snow is even worse...

... go ahead, ask me how I know.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 1st, 2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Snow is fun, the handling responds almost exactly like flat track except with more grip

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Rifleman
Old and slow

yeah, but flat tracking a street bike is dicey.

and I was on a 550...

I was driftin' on a street bike before the goobers were doing it in their cars

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:27 PM   #6
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Good job! Congratulations.

Welcome to my world.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Yeah, I've done snow numerous times on my 300. The lack of power really helps in that situation

one time it was downright awful. I did my ~40mi commute to school only to learn that my classes were cancelled (they were cancelled after I left to go to them because I left stupid early so I could go slow...didn't have a car/truck at the time) so I had to ride the 40mi back home in the same conditions. 80mi round trip on some roads that hadn't even been plowed yet and I drop the bike at 2mph in my driveway

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:31 PM   #8
Rifleman
Old and slow

nice, those 2 mph "crashes" are real ego bruisers

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
yeah, especially after you're riding a high because you've gotten away with some unintentional stupid ****

Old October 1st, 2015, 06:37 PM   #10
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
I live in Vancouver, I ride year round and every race (supermoto) I've ever won has been in the rain!
A few pointers:
#1: Smoooooooth! And relaxed!
#2: stay off the grease strip!!!! Especially don't cross it on corners or near intersections!
#3: the front brake is still your best friend and mechanical defence! Just don't grab a mitt full until you have put some load on it!
#4: lane position & spacing.
#5: carry a green garbage bag big enough to wear over your shirt and under your jacket. It's amazing how much more comfortable & warm you'll be despite being soaked everywhere else!
#6: Reread #1!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 1st, 2015, 07:00 PM   #11
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Try easing up on the bars and a bit less rear brake if you are skidding. That just means you're almost there in the dry, because there is not that much less traction in the rain.

I ride rain or shine, and it's not that much different, I've done hundreds of miles on all the bikes in the rain, and IMO Ninja was one of the easiest, I think, because it has the least power. Tenere is only better because traction control!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2015, 07:03 PM   #12
BlueDragon
Certifiably Awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
hmm, rear sliding around shouldn't be happening even in the rain. Were you on your rear brake?

also, that's downright amazing that you never got caught in the rain until now
@csmith12 time for an "it's always sunny in philly" type achievement?
I always brake with both the front and rear brake. Should I not be using the rear brake in the rain?

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll definitely keep it all in mind.

Old October 1st, 2015, 07:08 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragon View Post
I always brake with both the front and rear brake. Should I not be using the rear brake in the rain?

Using the rear is fine, I'm not a fan of it personally, but it's a lot easier to lock either wheel in wet conditions and that's no fun

The only thing is to be a lot softer on the brakes and throttle than usual

(in snow I use rear only to avoid risk of tucking the front)

Old October 1st, 2015, 07:56 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Try easing up on the bars and a bit less rear brake if you are skidding. That just means you're almost there in the dry, because there is not that much less traction in the rain........
^^^ This !!!

Quote:

Please read:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162183

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2015, 08:24 PM   #15
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
^^^ Helpfull link! Expresses what we are trying to suggest you do perfectly!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old October 2nd, 2015, 09:18 AM   #16
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

While you do have reduced traction in the wet you will have more than you need (assuming you are riding with awareness.) T

The biggest difference is how you approach the traction limit. You need to be smooth. You can't abruptly approach the traction limit - no grabbing or slamming on the brakes, no abrupt movements with the bars. This isn't to say you can't make rapid movements you just have to be smooth.

Next time it rains I'd go out on your bike in a parking lot and at a slow speed. Apply the rear brake until it locks up. You'll feel where the traction limit is. Apply the same level of force to the rear brake quickly and smoothly. Then do it again more abruptly - be prepared for the tire to lock up. You'll feel the differences in how your tire takes on a load and how it impacts traction.

On the street I ride the same way in the rain that I do in the dry at roughly the same speeds. I'll be more on the look at for puddles of standing water and I pay more attention to trying to avoid paint lines or grease marks but otherwise it's the same. I don't push it when it's dry and I don't push it when it's wet.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:06 AM   #17
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Tires are a major factor in the rain. Tires that are on the edge of acceptable in the dry will be terrible in the rain.

Check the date on the sidewall of your tires. It's 4 digits in an oval - like "2609". The first 2 digits are the week (26th week) the second are the last two of the year (2009). If the tires are more than 4 or 5 years old they have lost some of their original ability to provide traction. If they weren't good when they were new they surely won't be good after 4 or 5 years.

If that's the case, do some research into what tire would be best for you. Most of the time that's not the exact same tire that came on it when it was new.

As others have mentioned, you need to be smooth with all of you inputs in the wet. Traction breaks quicker and with less notice than in dry conditions. The rear sliding a bit isn't a big deal, it gives you some indication of the traction available and how much you can brake with the front. That's one thing that you get used to from riding on the dirt. You are always managing traction and the rear is almost always out of line.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:14 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I love riding in the rain.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:54 AM   #19
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I love riding in the rain.
So long as you can see, can't forget that disclaimer

Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:58 AM   #20
QuickSiR
ninjette.org member

Name: Maxime

Motorcycle(s): Honda 599

I drove hours in extreme heavy rain and never felt like the bike was loose or that I would lose control. Tires never lost traction.

You have to be careful and be smoother with the imputs you give to the bike but it really is not that bad.
QuickSiR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM   #21
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSiR View Post
I drove hours in extreme heavy rain and never felt like the bike was loose or that I would lose control. Tires never lost traction.

You have to be careful and be smoother with the imputs you give to the bike but it really is not that bad.
Being smooth does not just happen.
Being smooth is not just for riding in the rain.

I think it is a good idea to avoid rain until you feel like you can be light and smooth in dry weather. Wet roads are a little less forgiving but you are right when you are light on the bars and smooth with your inputs riding in the rain just means you will get cold and wet. *yuck*

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:40 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Being smooth does not just happen.
Hmmm... I kinda disagree with you. It sort of does "just happen". At some point in a riders experience and ability, it "just happens". The reason(s) are different for every rider but that has been my experience from working with many riders thus far.

When your new or inexperienced, then so be it... it's uncomfortable and kinda clumsy. At some undetermined point in skill gain and experience, it smooths out somewhat. If you can put your finger on the reason, please share with the rest of us.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:43 AM   #23
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hmmm... I kinda disagree with you. It sort of does "just happen". At some point in a riders experience and ability, it "just happens". The reason(s) are different for every rider but that has been my experience from working with many riders thus far.

When your new or inexperienced, then so be it... it's uncomfortable and kinda clumsy. At some undetermined point in skill gain and experience, it smooths out somewhat. If you can put your finger on the reason, please share with the rest of us.
It does not just happen. It just happens with experience.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:43 AM   #24
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

I love rain riding. I got caught in a supercell this summer for like 40 mins. Cars abandoned staying in lanes, everyone had their emergency flashers on, 2" standing water on the highway, lightning coming down all around. It was freakin awesome. I poured like a cup of water out of each boot afterwards Rode to the track last weekend in a huge rainstorm in the middle of the night, too. The cyclops LED bulb helped a lot.

The trick is just no sudden inputs, and be hella smooth with the rear brake if you're going to use it (and you should, overloading the front is like an insta wipeout in bad conditions).

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:00 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
It does not just happen. It just happens with experience.
I know... that is why I said "kinda" dissagree. I wish there were some tangible milestones to becoming smooth but seems to based on some mental metric. It's something I struggle with explaining to other riders.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:01 PM   #26
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
oh, to be helpful

this is what smooth and relaxed really looks like (advanced group rider, he could reasonably ride like this in the rain)

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:03 PM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^ homie is close to my riding.

Hey ya'lls, I am about ready to hit the track in the wet. Maybe I can try again to get throttle/brake video. Lemme see what I can do. Experience says, it shouldn't be much different than street riding as I am not planning on using rain tires for this track outing.

Let's see what I can come up with that may be helpful here.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:06 PM   #28
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ homie is running 2-3s slower than his race pace working on being smoother with his throttle and brake inputs (why the cam was on his hand)

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:13 PM   #29
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
youtube is messing with sharing copy & paste! Bastids!!! Lol

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM   #30
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Even the highsides are softer!
=["http://youtu.be/tv4_425K8r4"]

FTFY

edit: that bail at 1:20 was so lucky

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:23 PM   #31
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
oh, to be helpful

this is what smooth and relaxed really looks like (advanced group rider, he could reasonably ride like this in the rain)

The daintiest regrip I ever did see.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:29 PM   #32
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
I shouldn't take video of mine then. I accidentally let go of my bars from time to time

Old October 2nd, 2015, 12:51 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
Trust... EVERYTHING can be improved upon. Check both hands, I have yet to see anything "daintier" than my pic below.

Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:00 PM   #34
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
HERE IS the one I was looking for!:

https://youtu.be/H93kPnDQEqA

Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:02 PM   #35
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Smooth on the controls, plan your moves well in advance & dont panic.

Basically everything that a 250R teaches you about riding.

If the rear is stepping out that says something about your rear brake (it's use or condition) or your tyres.

Bikes are pretty capable in the rain, case point the 2013 North West 200 race (Superbikes on public roads)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2015, 01:50 PM   #36
britx303
ninjette.org member

Name: AJK

Motorcycle(s): TOOOOOO MANY!!

I dont mind racing in the rain,even on DOT's.......but I hate when its intermittent. One thing or the other,but not both
britx303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #37
BlueDragon
Certifiably Awkward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post

Next time it rains I'd go out on your bike in a parking lot and at a slow speed. Apply the rear brake until it locks up. You'll feel where the traction limit is. Apply the same level of force to the rear brake quickly and smoothly. Then do it again more abruptly - be prepared for the tire to lock up. You'll feel the differences in how your tire takes on a load and how it impacts traction.
I am definitely going to do this thanks, the thought didn't even cross my mind.

To everyone who mentioned being smooth and light on the bars, that is something I am working on but I find myself having to consciously remind myself to relax. I don't know if it's something I'll always have to think about or one day I'll just get it, but I'll keep practicing. Thanks to everyone for their wisdom!

Old October 6th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #38
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I am definitely going to do this thanks, the thought didn't even cross my mind.

To everyone who mentioned being smooth and light on the bars, that is something I am working on but I find myself having to consciously remind myself to relax. I don't know if it's something I'll always have to think about or one day I'll just get it, but I'll keep practicing. Thanks to everyone for their wisdom!
One day you will just get it and a few days later you will realize you got it.