ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 17th, 2015, 05:19 AM   #41
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Describe what you did when you went over the carburetors? Are the diaphragms properly installed? Float height correct?
handful of posts back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Alright here is a nightly report.

I carefully went over the carbs again and here is what I did/found:

-Changed to #100 jet (#40 pilot) (Sorry DaBlue1, I am getting #105 tomorrow)
-Inspected diaphragms (ok)
-Added two shims
-Adjusted floats
-Inspected all Vac lines (all ok)
-Ensured all boots were undamaged and tight
-Mixture screw at 2.5 turns

The idled normally as usual. Once at operating temp, I was easily able to turn off choke and rev up to 9k, but no further. It's like it's hitting an invisible wall. It's noticeably worse if I slowly roll the throttle than if I just do a quick rev. Turning on the choke after it's warm or during a rev has no noticeable effect. I have not checked the Valves yet

Any other suggestions? Bare in mind, all these tests were done in neutral with the bike on the stand (if that matters)

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #42
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Alright guys I have an update. Checked the valve clearances today and everything is within specs. Went over the carb again, nothing.

I'm running out of ideas guys......
Although it is rare, there is a possibility the timing is off. A bad CDI can be the cause. The test can be relatively easy. Just swap the bad CDI with a known working one. If all else fails, start from stock as much as possible.

From the wiki
Poor Running at Low Speed:
Spark weak:
Battery voltage low
Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted
Spark plug cap or high tension wiring trouble
Spark plug cap shorted or not in good contact
Spark plug incorrect
IC igniter trouble
Crankshaft sensor trouble
Ignition coil trouble
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #43
Hatter
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Although it is rare, there is a possibility the timing is off. A bad CDI can be the cause. The test can be relatively easy. Just swap the bad CDI with a known working one. If all else fails, start from stock as much as possible.

From the wiki
Poor Running at Low Speed:
Spark weak:
Battery voltage low
Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted
Spark plug cap or high tension wiring trouble
Spark plug cap shorted or not in good contact
Spark plug incorrect
IC igniter trouble
Crankshaft sensor trouble
Ignition coil trouble
It feels fine at low speed. I even had it up to 55mph. It's entirely based on throttle position it seems

I'm getting real sick of this thing . Especially since it's mocking me on this perfect 75F and sunny weekend.

I'll see if I can get a working CDI. Otherwise I'm considering cutting my losses and parting it out. Motivation is dwindling and frustrating is growing . Unfortunately my garage only has room for one bike, and I prefer it to be a working one. Although I feel bad for giving up.....
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #44
Devita818
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I had almost the same exact problem while doing my jetting kit. I hada yoshimura trc full exhaust, K&N, Clean air removal, etc.

So basically it boiled down to this I in all my research bought a stage2 and overlooked the fact that I needed a stage 3 jetting kit due to the filter and full exhaust I forget exactly what size jets I put in there and my problems were almost exactly as described bigger jets and pulling the carb off a few times to adjust screws solved it
Devita818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #45
Hatter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devita818 View Post
I had almost the same exact problem while doing my jetting kit. I hada yoshimura trc full exhaust, K&N, Clean air removal, etc.

So basically it boiled down to this I in all my research bought a stage2 and overlooked the fact that I needed a stage 3 jetting kit due to the filter and full exhaust I forget exactly what size jets I put in there and my problems were almost exactly as described bigger jets and pulling the carb off a few times to adjust screws solved it
I had a Keihin #112.5 and #110 in before (which is a 108 and 106 dyno I think). Which is significantly larger than I needed. However I still experienced the exact same issues.

Old April 17th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #46
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
when you go light on throttle you say it works ok? Is it specifically throttle dependent, will the bike rev out with small throttle input or does it cut out at the same RPM no matter what gear and throttle input you give?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #47
Hatter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
when you go light on throttle you say it works ok? Is it specifically throttle dependent, will the bike rev out with small throttle input or does it cut out at the same RPM no matter what gear and throttle input you give?
It will rev out with a small amount of throttle.

However it appears the decision has been made for me... Just got back from the DMV and there's an issue with the title, and seller has of course disappeared. . Needless to say I'm a little (understatement) annoyed, especially considering that's something I should have caught before buying it. First time for everything I guess....

Either way, it looks like I'm parting the bike out anyways.... If anybody needs some parts let me know!

I appreciate all the assistance lent though! It's been very helpful

Old April 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #48
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
That suxs, I hate title problems a lot of excellent vehicles are lost this way

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #49
Hatter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
That suxs, I hate title problems a lot of excellent vehicles are lost this way
Good news everyone! After much searching and nagging I was able to track down the buyer and he is going to sign all the necessary paperwork to sort out the title! .

Maybe my luck is changing...... So keep the troubleshooting ideas coming, with any luck, my luck will change and I'll get it running

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #50
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Persistence... it works wonders.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote