ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1
TheFuzzyWuzzy
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250

Some new rider questions..

Alrighty, here's my first bout of questions (won't be the last i'm sure)..

I finished my motorcycle safety course this weekend and got my bike all put back together, so needless to say i've been riding every chance i get. Sorry if any of these are dumb questions..

1. Any recommendations for improving my awareness of things behind me while i'm riding? I was on a 2 lane highway this morning (724 near Reading PA, if there are any locals) going around 55 when an ambulance came up behind me. I didn't see it or hear it at all, the wind noise was awful loud. I think everything turned out fine, they simply wen't into the oncoming lane to pass me, there was no traffic (of course I pulled off to the side once i saw it begin to go around me in my side mirrors). However, I'm surprised that I wasn't able to see it until it began passing me, and more surprised that I hadn't heard it until it passed, obviously it would have been better for me to pull off as soon as it was behind me..

2. I read somewhere that you should turn off the fuel valve when the bike is not on. Is this something I should do all the time, or just when it's gonna be sitting for a while?

Thanks in advance!
TheFuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Can't help with the fuel question, as I have an 08.

But for checking behind you, there are a couple of options I can see.
1 - Mirror extenders
2 - An extra bar end mirror that looks directly behind you
3 - I personally look to my left mirror and back under my left arm to see behind me. Just a glance every minute or so out of habit now. I like having some awareness of what's going on back there.

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
TheFuzzyWuzzy
ninjette.org member

Those all make sense, thanks! I might also just play around with the positioning with the mirrors and see if i can't get a little more visibility out of them

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Gratz Andrew!

Brad had good input, I would like to add earplugs. I know it sounds counter intuitive to your goals but give it a try. I bet you'll find it dulls the "extra" noise but not cancel out the important stuff.

As a fellow pregen owner, I turn mine off at the end of the riding day. I don't switch it off for a rest stop or the time spent in a store or gas. I would be interested if the commuters turn theirs off during the work day. I would if it was me, that is what I did on my HD's in the past.

Based on what you learned from the MSF, do you remember anything that would help answer your fuel valve question?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5
TheFuzzyWuzzy
ninjette.org member

I did think about earplugs, but the idea did seem counter productive. Maybe i'll give them a shot! I am getting a new helmet soon, so that might help a little as well.

And now that you mention it, i do remember something about that in the MSF... FINE-C i think?...

Thank you!

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
"Earplugs" they will cut out nearly all wind noise and you'll notice a lot more sound from around you. And like the others said as a rider you really should check you mirrors regularly for things trying to rear end you.

I ride on the faster side of the spectrum so Im not so worried about something catching me so I check my mirrors regularly for a different reason(cops)

No reason to turn off you petcock unless your storing the bike for the winter and even then it may or may not be nessisary.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
1) pay attention to what is in front of you. don't worry about what is behind you unless you are stopping. and when you need to know whats behind you, you have mirrors to check. so make a habbit of glancing at the mirrors. don't stare at them. you don't need to stare. just glance. you'll process it a few seconds after the glance. wear earplugs and put your head lower to get less wind noise. honestly the big thing is to not be overwhelmed by more input than you can handle.

2) no.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #9
TheFuzzyWuzzy
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input everyone! Definitely gonna grab a pair of earplugs before I ride tomorrow, and I'll see if i can adjust the mirrors a little to get a bit better use out of em.

Old May 29th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #10
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

+1 for earplugs as well. Just a couple of days ago, I was on the highway and I heard sirens. I checked my mirrors and didn't even see the ambulance 'til several seconds later. I'm pretty sure the car behind me didn't even notice until they saw me pulling over.

Alex pretty much nailed it about glancing at the mirrors.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuzzyWuzzy View Post
1. Any recommendations for improving my awareness of things behind me while i'm riding?.........

2. I read somewhere that you should turn off the fuel valve when the bike is not on......
Welcome, Andrew, as I missed your introduction post.

1) You need to create the habit of glancing at your mirrors systematically (move your arms in a little as you do it for a better view behind the bike). Only 2% of motorcycle accidents are due to following vehicles, most danger is ahead. There is a very important thing to do in the streets and it is to turn your head and check over your shoulder just before you change your lane: cars can hide in your blind spots as well as they can hide in yours. It would be your fault if you move over a passing vehicle.

2) You have the best pre-gen Ninjette ever designed. If the vacuum valve of the petcock is working properly, it is irrelevant if you close the valve at the end of the day or not. I close it every time I walk away from the bike, but that is an old habit that I acquired before vacuum protected petcocks were invented. I simply don't trust modern and automatic things.

Please, please, ask all you feel you need to ask; we are all here for you.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Get some earplugs! It quiets down the wind noise and allows you to hear other vehicles and sounds more clearly. Also, it will prevent you from needing hearing aids when you are 40
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #13
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

You should get into the habit of doing a head check immediately after checking your mirror if you ever switch lanes. Do not use only the mirrors, there may be somebody in your blind spot!

Old May 29th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #14
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

The time is is perhaps the most critical to check mirrors is stopped at a stop sign or especially a light, behind other vehicles.

Its amazing how many riders, sitting on their bikes behind another vehicle get plowed into! Even BIG bikes... Always stop with an escape route in mind, don't stop square to the middle of the back of the vehicle in front of you. Keep checking the mirrors until a car stops behind you.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #15
TheFuzzyWuzzy
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the tips everyone! I need as many of those as I can get..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You have the best pre-gen Ninjette ever designed. If the vacuum valve of the petcock is working properly, it is irrelevant if you close the valve at the end of the day or not.
thank you for telling me about this! I was wondering why I was getting mixed info on the petcock, haha..