ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 19th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #1
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Name: Sharkey

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

10 250r replacement forks

Hello. I'm new here and joined so I can get some help fixing a bike I just picked up. It's a 2010 250r that was wrecked. I got the bike for $300 and I was told it ran. I tried to start it and it turned over but I didn't allow it to start since I have it in my apartment but I have no doubt it was going to start.

So the forks are bent so bad I can't even put the new headers the came with the deal on.

Besides stock could I use othe 37mm forks. I'm thinks the the ninja 500 would fit with no mods
Sharkride is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #2
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Here the pics...I don't plan on replacing the fairing to keep the price down. I guess they call it a street fighter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.6 KB, 19 views)

Old September 19th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Your better off sticking with the OEM forks for that model.

As far as not starting, that's a long list of reasons why, you need to verify its getting spark, fuel, and air, to start with.

Did the bike sit for awhile before you purchased it? Any other modifications? Is it carburetor or FI?

The more information you give, the better and quicker we can help you.

Also assume nothing works, you must personally verify each step.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 01:07 AM   #4
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

I will check in the morning if the bike runs....I don't doubt it. Would it be ok to run for a few seconds without the headers on. I can put them on but have to turn the wheel...

And for the 500 forks, they will fit right? I'm seeing them on eBay for like $50 a set. What issues would I run into?

Old September 20th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkride View Post
I will check in the morning if the bike runs....I don't doubt it. Would it be ok to run for a few seconds without the headers on. I can put them on but have to turn the wheel...

And for the 500 forks, they will fit right? I'm seeing them on eBay for like $50 a set. What issues would I run into?
For a few seconds it will be fine.

As far as the forks go I can't help you, I assume the upper tubes are bent(chrome part)

The only info I have is this.

Quote:
This Kawasaki 44013-0117 PIPE-FORK INNER is used on these models and components:

2008 EX250J8F Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2009 EX250J9F Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2009 EX250J9FA Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2010 EX250JAF Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2010 EX250JAFA Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2011 EX250JBF Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2011 EX250JBFA Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2012 EX250JCF Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
2012 EX250JCFA Ninja 250R FRONT FORK
These are easily replaceable, try searching eBay for just these, you might get lucky.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old September 20th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #6
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Thanks for your help. I will see about starting the bike in the morning. The battery has been on the charger all day. Might need a new one. I have another one but its for a my ltd550 and is brand new.

Old September 20th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #7
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Could always give @PartsNinja a shout. He may have some items that you need. He deals in used/wrecked 250 and 300's, pretty reasonable. Great guy.

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #8
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Thanks I'll check him out....but I'm confused to why no one has mentioned ex500 forks. What am I missing. They are the same size right. Some say a bit taller but if you add clip ons that's not an issue...someone please explain

Old September 20th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Maybe @InvisiBill might drop in, he's more up on the Ninjette & EX suspension interchangeably.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old September 20th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #10
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I think the EX500 (Gen2) forks should bolt right in. The specs list them as having a bit more travel, but I'm not sure how different they actually are.

Depending on what all you're planning on doing to the bike, you might end up having to use a bunch of other little pieces off the 500 as well. The fork lowers are different, so the stock fender bracket won't fit. The 500 uses a different size brake rotor, so you'll probably need to use the 500's rotor or make an adapter bracket for the caliper. You'll have to widen the gap between the tabs on the 250 speedo drive a bit to have it match up to the 500 fork leg.

The 500 uses softer springs, so you should transplant the original springs over if you can, or maybe even just buy new ones since the stockers are only good for rather light riders. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231172

I don't see any major reason why you couldn't use 500 forks, just be aware that the change might lead to a number of other little things needing to be changed as well.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

@InvisiBill could he just use the upper tubes from the EX, and lowers, etc from Ninjette?

ZX-2R BLOG

Old September 20th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #12
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Maybe. I briefly looked into that to get the 250 lowers on my 500 for the updated fender and closer compatibility with the VRossi wheel swap, but the 250 forks ended up being relatively expensive compared to the minor tweaking needed on the 500 forks, so it never went anywhere.

I'm not sure how different the fork internals are, and if the slightly different travel specs indicate any sort of inherent incompatibility between them. I would expect them to be quite similar, but I've never had 500 or 250 forks apart, so who knows?

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old September 20th, 2015, 06:22 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i've got a full front end minus wheel i'll sell you
lets say 300 for the full setup or 200 for just the forks... plus shipping

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #14
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Why not go the whole hog and look for a set of USD forks/front end?

Old September 20th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #15
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Lots of info here thanks a lot. Seems I would save using 500 forks but they do seem they fit. I'm building a street fighting since it would be cheaper then buying plastic. So it's not a problem the the frontend swap but I have to think about getting to deep into a project.if I have to just buy replacement forks so save time and problems.

Old September 20th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #16
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Why not go the whole hog and look for a set of USD forks/front end?
Not sure what you mean.

Old September 20th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #17
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Maybe. I briefly looked into that to get the 250 lowers on my 500 for the updated fender and closer compatibility with the VRossi wheel swap, but the 250 forks ended up being relatively expensive compared to the minor tweaking needed on the 500 forks, so it never went anywhere.

I'm not sure how different the fork internals are, and if the slightly different travel specs indicate any sort of inherent incompatibility between them. I would expect them to be quite similar, but I've never had 500 or 250 forks apart, so who knows?
Thanks. Yeah even I just got the tubes that would be super nice. Is the some way I can look into this....should I look for the part numbers and see if they match or try to get the specs on each one.
My problem would be I can put something together but not knowing if it's right or not would kill me. 65+ mph and the forks go out

Old September 20th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #18
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i've got a full front end minus wheel i'll sell you
lets say 300 for the full setup or 200 for just the forks... plus shipping
When I get a few bucks I will hit you up to see what we can do. I really do need these since I can even mount my headers. I started the bike today man that was super loud but made me smile.

Let me know what else you have also I need clutch shifter and a whole rear brake pedal..

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:13 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have a whole bike for part out minus bodywork and wheels. i think the brake pedal has scratches. the levers are the2wheels adjustable

could do forks without triples or brakes, both pedals and both levers for 225 + shipping. i try to snap some pictures in the morning

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #20
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i have a whole bike for part out minus bodywork and wheels. i think the brake pedal has scratches. the levers are the2wheels adjustable

could do forks without triples or brakes, both pedals and both levers for 225 + shipping. i try to snap some pictures in the morning
So the levers go with the pedals. I'm sorry I don't understand. I have the levers you can adjust just look like the last rider went down on Both sides cuz both pedals are broke. The brake Side the whole assembly is trash...don't know what you call it. Pedal holder or plate

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #21
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Oh it's called a step holder....

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:32 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
thought you wanted the clutch and the shifter and the brake... just pedals?

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
oh, they're called rearsets. clutch side or brake side? both?

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #24
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Good question. The brake Side is the problem but it looks like the clutch side had a wire connected. I'm guessing the kickstand sensor...I'm trying to look up pictures...

Old September 27th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #25
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post

Was there another member named sharkride or was that for me lol....I also have 1980 ltd 550 that's been stripped I have some nice forks on there that might could do a full swap. So only thing I really have look out for is the brake calipers? The speedometer pickup doesn't seem that bad. And I might be able to work it....is this possible or am I reaching too far. I'm broke and at least want to get this bike rolling so I can move on to other things that need attention

Old September 28th, 2015, 07:59 AM   #26
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah even I just got the tubes that would be super nice. Is the some way I can look into this....should I look for the part numbers and see if they match or try to get the specs on each one.
My problem would be I can put something together but not knowing if it's right or not would kill me. 65+ mph and the forks go out:angel:
https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/Parts.../2009/EX500D9F
https://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/Parts.../2012/EX250JCF
There are slight discrepancies in the two bikes' front fork travel specs, and a variety of slightly different part numbers. I don't know enough about fork construction to know which parts determine what facets of operation/specs. Assuming the overall length is pretty similar, the 500 forks should just bolt into the 250 triples and work pretty similarly (on a faired bike, you'd want to make sure the extra travel didn't cause any issues). Due to the huge similarities between the bikes, I'm guessing you could mix & match parts to make a full set of forks. But I don't know enough detail about this stuff either to say which parts you should or shouldn't use from each model to get the desired results.

This is probably a task better left to someone who knows more about fork internals, and has the time and parts handy to do some experimenting.

Quote:
I also have 1980 ltd 550 that's been stripped I have some nice forks on there that might could do a full swap. So only thing I really have look out for is the brake calipers? The speedometer pickup doesn't seem that bad. And I might be able to work it....is this possible or am I reaching too far. I'm broke and at least want to get this bike rolling so I can move on to other things that need attention
After some quick Googling, it looks like the KZ550 uses 36mm forks. You'd need to swap triples to use those, comparable to downgrading to PreGen forks. They also appear to have the axle mounted in front of the fork tubes (the Ninjas have the axle going through the middle of the fork tubes). You might be able to make them work, but you could be altering the steering geometry a noticeable amount. I'm not sure how well the specs of the forks (travel, springs, damping, etc.) would match up to the EX250 either. Again, enough time and money can make anything work, but it may not be the cheapest or easiest way for someone without much knowledge to get a front end that works well.

Quote:
Was there another member named sharkride or was that for me lol
I'm guessing that's regarding my signature. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=8367

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #27
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
You mean InvisiBill is not my mommy?!?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #28
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

I guess I will have to find some stock forks for cheap. I do have a set in the works but I'm checking prices. I might have a guy that's local that's selling his whole bike for $700

Old September 28th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #29
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

I just paid for forks and triples from eBay for $224. The best deal yet. Hope they are o. Will have to rebuild them or what not

Old September 28th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I just paid for forks and triples from eBay for $224. The best deal yet. Hope they are o. Will have to rebuild them or what not
That seems to be about the going rate. I was holding out for that "killer" deal but it seems it may never come.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #31
Ghostt
in your machine

Now it the time. Nothing suxs more than putting something together, to only find a problem, like a leaking fork seal, etc...

Personally I'd do the seals, and dust caps, cut down the fork springs to match you weight, change out the fork oil, maybe a higher viscosity, 15wt, and steering head bearings, replace with tapered roller bearings

http://www.allballsracing.com/ is my personal favorite brand for seals, bearings, etc.....

Depending on your budget a set of Ricor INTIMINATOR, some members here have them and like them, and their on my list of things to get.

http://store.ricorshocks.com/product...20-1001nin.htm

http://store.ricorshocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=41

http://store.ricorshocks.com/ias_technology_s/19.htm

ZX-2R BLOG

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #32
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Yeah it was pretty much a complete front but I already had the seals and caps and oil in the plans...

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #33
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Here's the pic and will take another one once I get them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.1 KB, 3 views)

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #34
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Now I have to pick up some rear sets. And my street fighter headlight fairing

Old September 29th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #35
Sharkride
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Now it the time. Nothing suxs more than putting something together, to only find a problem, like a leaking fork seal, etc...

Personally I'd do the seals, and dust caps, cut down the fork springs to match you weight, change out the fork oil, maybe a higher viscosity, 15wt, and steering head bearings, replace with tapered roller bearings

http://www.allballsracing.com/ is my personal favorite brand for seals, bearings, etc.....

Depending on your budget a set of Ricor INTIMINATOR, some members here have them and like them, and their on my list of things to get.

http://store.ricorshocks.com/product...20-1001nin.htm

http://store.ricorshocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=41

http://store.ricorshocks.com/ias_technology_s/19.htm
Do you think I will need a fork bushing kit? Seems that would be something most would reuse

Old September 29th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #36
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Do you think I will need a fork bushing kit? Seems that would be something most would reuse
Depends, you'll need to inspect them first, although it wouldn't hurt to replace them.

ZX-2R BLOG