ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

First Aid

Riding skills are there to make riding enjoyable, but more importantly safe.

Arguably the most important skills second to staying safe, are knowing what to do when something goes wrong.

It's coming up to riding season, do you know for sure what to do if you, your buddy, or a random goes down? How about if your mom collapses with a stroke?

Invest in a first aid course, ask your boss if they will fork out for it, most places have a budget for first aid training, and in most places it's the law.

I can most highly recomend First Aid in the Work Place & Motorcyclists, I take this course every year and it's proven invaluable on two instances.

http://www.orderofstjohn.org/what-we-do/first-aid
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Good point I'm Combat Life Saver qualified... So I carry a tourniquet usually, if I have a bag I tote a more proper kit as well
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

We generally have riders carry an ICE card on them or exchange contact information. ICE stands for in case of emergency. I was CLS qualified when I was in the service. I carry around tourniquets and shears and other various first aid amenities on group rides I attend. First-aid is an important skill/knowledge and you will never know when you will need it.

Last year, when friends were coming back from a ride, they witnessed a vehicle rollover right in front of them and had to pull the people out of the vehicle.

Old May 5th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I hope to never have to use the things I carry around with me, but I'd rather have them than not anyday!!!
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #5
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

I have a field surgeons pack for the long trips.
kirk595x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I also started this year's season out by renewing my first-aid and cpr skills card.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

The most important thing to carry round with you is knowledge.

While I keep the first aid kit at work fully stocked, in my bike all I keep are conforming bandages with the gause padding in the middle, a crepe bandage, a face mask and some saline solution / eye rinse.

Those bandages are great, you can use them rolled up to place on, or pack around a wound, then they have enough stretch and length to wrap tightly enough to stem / stop the bleeding at the point, but not too tight as to cause hemoraging or cut off blood flow as you can wrap a wide area..

Crepe bandage for broken arms, wrists and fingers, shoulders, color bones.

Face mask because if someone has crashed, stopped breating, vomited (happens more than you'd imagine), the last thing you want to do is to wipe away the vomit before preforming CPR (it's gross), lots don't do the rescue breaths because the chest compressions are more important, but both is still advised if you can.

Saline eye rinse..... Ever had a bug hit you in the eye at 80mph and have the indecency not to vacate your optic orb after scratching your cornea?
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
The most important thing to carry round with you is knowledge.
Just a complementary article:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...e_emts_arrive/
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote