ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #41
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Here is one link, from Keith Code. I'm looking for the video.
http://www.vf750fd.com/blurbs/countercode.html
I think this is the one you're looking for.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #42
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

The video I was looking for shows this bike in action, and how you can ONLY steer with bar input, not by pressing on pegs or shifting weight. It's pretty dramatic when you see it.
I'll find it eventually, it may have been in a Keith Code article or post somewhere.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #43
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Yeah I just realized that wasn't even a video. I just saw the preview it showed on youtube and remember seeing it a while ago so I thought it was the same and didn't watch it before I posted the link.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #44
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
...Push with your foot all you want. lean all you want, unless you push ON THE BARS, the bike will not turn in any effective manner, except maybe you can get it to fall over...
That is how it works. I have done this on several occasions: riding downhill, in gear so the bike stays just fast enough to be stable but not free rolling, i take my hands off the bars. I shift more weight to one side, and the bike leans to that side. It isn't turning yet, just leaning. As the bike leans, the leading edge of the front wheel falls into the lean, in the same way putting the bike on the side stand will cause the front wheel to fall to the left side by gravity. At this point, the bike is effectively counter-steering and will turn to the side opposite the lean. Thus, it is possible to turn without manual input on the bars, instead using gravity to do the work. I apologize for my further thread jacking.

Old July 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #45
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
That is how it works. I have done this on several occasions: riding downhill, in gear so the bike stays just fast enough to be stable but not free rolling, i take my hands off the bars. I shift more weight to one side, and the bike leans to that side. It isn't turning yet, just leaning. As the bike leans, the leading edge of the front wheel falls into the lean, in the same way putting the bike on the side stand will cause the front wheel to fall to the left side by gravity. At this point, the bike is effectively counter-steering and will turn to the side opposite the lean. Thus, it is possible to turn without manual input on the bars, instead using gravity to do the work. I apologize for my further thread jacking.
Gyroscopic force is not straightening the front wheel when on the side-stand.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #46
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Gyroscopic force is not straightening the front wheel when on the side-stand.
The front tire and wheel on my XT aren't very heavy and don't appear to produce enough gyroscopic effect to counteract gravity once the bike is adequate leaned over. Speed and forward momentum are factors also; stability derived from gyroscopic effect increases or decreases in relation to forward momentum. Go just slow enough to be stable, without falling over completely, and shift the center of gravity. Then marvel that Keith Code was only kinda right.

Old July 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #47
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

I guess you guys just know more than the experts and the 100 riders or so who have tried this bike and you won't give up with anecdotal stories about how you can do this. Why don't you read what the experts say and try and learn something?
How far do you think you can go and what kind of control do you think you have if you can get the bike to lean over a little? You are accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Read these articles and reconsider your point of view and your expertise before you offer any advice.

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machi...bs-machine.php
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa...s/nobsbike.htm
http://www.mistermotero.com/bodysteering.htm
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #48
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

From the article linked to: "Before I go any further I want to address off-road motorcycles. An off-road motorcycle will easily steer when the rider presses down on the inside peg. In conjunction with shifting the upper body mass, it will go over pretty easily . Still not what I would call good control but it can be done fairly efficiently." There are motorcycles that will turn with body steering. It says as much in the articles you keep linking.

Old July 28th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #49
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I'll make you a video.... and no worries, no hard feelings from my side...

Edit:
AH, I now understand. I've realized where we're splitting hairs. Code defines "steering" as accurately, precisely and concisely being able to change the bike's direction, at speed. He did not write this, or state it outright, but that seems to be jist of the article. For all intensive purposes, I agree, for that is necessary to survive and enjoy a moto....

However, when I hear the statement: "A moto can not be steered using simply body lean", stated as an absolute, I hear: "The bike will not, under any circumstances, change direction, what-so-ever, in any manner, and will simply continue to go in an absolute straight line".

Pardon my miss-interpretation of the statement. I know, and can still make the video if somebody so desires, that one can change the course of a bike by simply leaning, pushing on the pegs, etc. However, I also know it's extremely ineffective, and that the ONLY way to precisely inititiate and maintain a corner is to use the handlebars (throttle plays in as well), by countersteering.

So, I put it on a spectrum. On one side is the "Guiding, hearding, changing the general direction of a motorcycle", and on the opposite end is the "Full lean, hauling balls around a race track, flicking the bike back and forth". I would say anything just shy of the "guiding" side, all the way to the "full lean" requires more and more control on the handlebars, for as speed increases, the amount of pressure on the handlebars increases, and obviously to switch the bike from side to side requires some effort, pushing in the opposite direction.

How does this apply to one-handed riding?

The same principles apply, obviously, expect it's only being executed by one hand. If riding with the right hand, one would have to push on the bars to go right, and pull to go left, and indeed, it would be impossible to steer the bike accurately, and especially at speed simply relying on body position/ pressure on the pegs. However, is it impossible to guide the moto, even at speed, using simply body position/pressure. I say No, simply because I've done it. Even Code admits it's possible, but that it's simply ineffective (turning the bike like a oil tanker).

So, again, pardon the long reply, and the mis communication, but I think I've got it straight now.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #50
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

This thread is gettin silly. You can't steer a bike by pushing down on the foot pegs.

Old July 28th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #51
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
The front tire and wheel on my XT aren't very heavy and don't appear to produce enough gyroscopic effect to counteract gravity once the bike is adequate leaned over. Speed and forward momentum are factors also; stability derived from gyroscopic effect increases or decreases in relation to forward momentum. Go just slow enough to be stable, without falling over completely, and shift the center of gravity. Then marvel that Keith Code was only kinda right.
Of course it's possible to turn like that without handlebar input or else this wouldn't be possible.

What he said was that you couldn't turn (steer) effectively, which is still true. Once you have reached that point, you can't simply lean the other way to go that way instead... you're stuck going in circles.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #52
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

You can turn with just lean and no handle bar input its just much less effective than using the handlebars to the point where it shouldn't be used to steer the bike.
I only ride one handed on straightaways when i am by myself on the road

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast

Last futzed with by 00NissanNinja; July 28th, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #53
pedaltothemetal
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): Plasma Blue 2008 Ninja 250R, 2006 Honda Ruckus 180cc swap, 1967 BMW R60US, 2008 Ninja ZX-14se

Quote:
I do it to scratch
Dude, unless your a squid, there's nothing to scratch!
pedaltothemetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #54
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Damm Leo---lay off the squid!!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #55
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Marc, lighten up a little. Nobody is saying that people can ride motorcycles without turning the bars, you're picking a fight that just isn't there. Of course bar input is the most direct and most effective way to provide steering input to a motorcycle. But people can still make videos all day long about steering a motorcycle gently without ever touching the handlebars, just like we all learned to do when we were 8 on our first bicycles.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #56
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

So, I'll take a hint from our wise site moderator and get this thread back rolling with a question: Does anyone ride one-handed simply out of boredom? I have side-mounted pillion grab handles that make a nice support for leaning back a bit more cruiser style.

Old July 29th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #57
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

On the highway at cruising speed of 70-75 mph I usually rest my left arm on the tank for 5-10 mins interval
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM   #58
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
From the article linked to: "Before I go any further I want to address off-road motorcycles. An off-road motorcycle will easily steer when the rider presses down on the inside peg. In conjunction with shifting the upper body mass, it will go over pretty easily . Still not what I would call good control but it can be done fairly efficiently." There are motorcycles that will turn with body steering. It says as much in the articles you keep linking.
Are you vietnamese?

Old July 29th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #59
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
Are you vietnamese?
That was out of left field, but ya mostly Vietnamese. Did the flag give it away?

Old July 29th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #60
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

I one-hand out of boredom a lot, mostly in boring low-speed conditions like traffic creeping along at 10mph or some of the 25mph zones around town. Sometimes I'll take one hand off the bars and cruise on the highways, but I usually just zig-zag in my lane or sit up on the passenger seat if I'm bored or starting to cramp up.
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #61
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

when i ride on the back of my bf's motorcycle, he uses one handed riding on straight ways...but during turns, he uses both hands.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #62
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Sometimes i like to try to pick up debris ( small stone, leaf etc) mid corner just because it makes people go hmmm

Old July 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #63
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #64
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

I definately use both hands whenever I change gears, it always shifts better when I use the clutch. Also when I'm lane splitting, it's good to keep close control then, except I do wave "Thanks" when people move over in their lane. Other than that... I'll probably just keep my arm out of the way so that I can have a clear view behind me.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #65
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
That was out of left field, but ya mostly Vietnamese. Did the flag give it away?
Your name did.

Old July 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #66
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
Your name did.
Makes sense.

Old July 30th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #67
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Sometimes i like to try to pick up debris ( small stone, leaf etc) mid corner just because it makes people go hmmm
LMAO! It was make me say, "AWESOME!" :-)

I ride one-handed often on our very long touring rides, but usually only on the boring straight highways. Sometimes I rest my arm on the tank. I've even propped my head up on my hand before resting my elbow on the tank. On long rides, I try quite a few different positions to be comfortable.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #68
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

When im just cruising around, i sometimes find myself riding one-handed. But this bike is made for high rpm and active riding, so it doesnt happen too often
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM   #69
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I do it ocassionaly to let my left hand stretch and keep from cramping on long rides.
same here. I dont ride long one handed, just enuff to give my left hand a break if its bugging me AND there isnt a red light/stop sign coming up anytime soon!!!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM   #70
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I ride one handed when I am posting on ninjette.org while riding my bike - kidding.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM   #71
Agustin
ninjette.org member

Name: Agustin

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (sold), 2007 Yamaha R1, 2003 Suzuki GSXR-600

I ride one handed on my R1 when on long rides or just cruising down the freeway. The Ninja, it's always two hands, it gets pretty squirelly on the freeway with all the rain grooves.
Agustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #72
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
One handed to relax on a nice flowing road or straight.

Most fun though, is to wave to weekend warrior types*, riding cruisers, mid-turn while leaned over. You can almost see the wheels turning and their brow furrowing under the pudding bowl as they try to figure out if they can let go of the bar or not.

*All in fun, there are some really good riders on cruisers, but you know the type - sport bike squids included.
ahahaha yeah I know exactly what you mean
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #73
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I've even propped my head up on my hand before resting my elbow on the tank.
Gotta try that
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #74
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

i did one handed riding on sunday...only because we went on an 80 mile ride and my hand was getting tired. I was pretty comfortable with it, except on turns.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #75
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I take my left hand off a lot. I mean A LOT, but not my right hand. Scratch my nuts, mess with my I pod, wave to other riders, adjust my backpack, shake out my hand after feathering the clutch for an extended amount of time, etc. I'm pretty comfortable doing it. I've hit a couple of rough bumps with one hand and doesn't bother me at all. Usually when I take my hand off there is a reason for it though. I don't rest my hand on my tank for more than a minute, if even. I feel my hand can rest right where it's at
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #76
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

On a related note, I sometimes lighten my grip on the bars to just fingertips vs. letting go of them to relax. It is suprising how little grip is needed to control the bike.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #77
JS73
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Some good one handed riding.
http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/2080/
WERA #273 Novice
Boogeyman Racing.
JS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #78
tyuhhi
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 09 Black Ninja 250

If I'm on a long ride, I'll go the majority one handed. On short rides, if its a long straight road to the next light, I'll take my left hand off too.

Always gotta keep one hand free in case I need to fist shake at some bad driver.