ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Kawasaki ZX6R Test Ride

Went to the International Motorcycle Show yesterday and had a chance to test ride the 2014 ZX6R.

The route was pretty tame (probably due to liability issues etc.) though there was a 1 mile stretch of long sweepers and fortunately room in front to open the bike up a little bit.

This was my first ride on a 600 (I tamely rode a friend's GSXR 1000 before) and, honestly, it wasn't as scary as I'd expected. However, I can clearly see that treating the throttle as if it were a 250/300 would put you on your back.

The clutch was just as smooth and light as the 300 and the transmission even smoother. Engine braking isn't as pronounced on the ZX6R as it is on the 300 - this was a welcome change. On a side note, the gearbox has a satisfying click whenever you shift - I really liked this.

Throttle response is great and the extra 36cc really does give it more low end pull especially when compared to my friend's GSXR 1000. As soon as you hit 4k the bike really wakes up, the exhaust note becomes angrier, the intake; whinier. That's just the bike... You feel it too: a noticeable pull on your shoulder sockets, tunnel vision, your heart ticking over faster and adrenaline coursing through every part of you.

In short, that level of acceleration is unbelievable. Even more so, is how planted the front feels and how confident you feel on it because you really learned how to ride on the 250/300. Pumping the bike into turns was really interesting. You actually had to work for it and that telepathic understanding you have with the 300 doesn't surface on the ZX6R.

Body positioning is incredibly aggressive and I could definitely feel tightness in my lower back and groin from having to reach for the clip-ons and having to tuck my legs to reach the rearsets. Now, mind you I was incredibly sore from the gym the night before so I won't try to draw conclusions or justify. The seat, however, was really comfortable and the tank is curved nicely so pinching with legs is easy. While tucking your elbows natural lock at the widest point of the tank - this was awesome. Having that extra bit of anchoring to the bike really helps with staying loose.

Overall, a fantastic bike. It looks great, performs well and will tick all of the adrenaline-junkie boxes that you'd like to find on a supersport.

However... even with the $250 credit from Kawasaki (for doing the test ride) I can't really see myself buying it. The telling sign was how big a grin I had on my stupid face while taking a tight corner on my way back on the 300.

Yep... the little 300 will remain. But maybe, just maybe things would've been different if I had a chance to ride one of these (taken at the show):

Light and flickable... I think that was my main takeaway. Can't wait to buy a Daytona next winter.

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Went to the International Motorcycle Show yesterday and had a chance to test ride the 2014 ZX6R...

Throttle response is great and the extra 36cc really does give it more low end pull especially when compared to my friend's GSXR 1000. As soon as you hit 4k the bike really wakes up, the exhaust note becomes angrier, the intake; whinier. That's just the bike... You feel it too: a noticeable pull on your shoulder sockets, tunnel vision, your heart ticking over faster and adrenaline coursing through every part of you...

Light and flickable... I think that was my main takeaway. Can't wait to buy a Daytona next winter.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah I'm lost there too. 1000's are torquey monsters compared to any 600
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4
anacron
ninjette.org guru

I shouldn't have made that comparison... I rode the 1000 when I was a month into riding the 300 and was more scared of binning it than trying to actually get a feel for it.

Hopefully the context clarifies.

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #5
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
You said it's Tame? Were you ever WOT and near the red line?

Old October 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
You said it's Tame? We're you ever WOT?
Never said the bike was tame. The route was tame (no twisties) not the bike.

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

I wish I got to test ride stuff. My weekend got all screwed up but I was there last night. That's cool that you did get to test ride something cool. I'm glad to read my description was on point lol.

I think it's weird you don't want to add a supersport bike to the stable? I was pretty impressed with the clutch pull feel on the zx6, yuck. Although I wouldn't own one lol
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #8
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I miss read that; sorry op! What I meant to say was, it didn't scare you?!

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #9
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
I think it's weird you don't want to add a supersport bike to the stable? I was pretty impressed with the clutch pull feel on the zx6, yuck. Although I wouldn't own one lol
Gee.. thank Cam. Telling me to get a bike that you personally wouldn't own
I'm saving up for the Daytona 675 for next winter, that way I can track the 300 and maybe do the Level 1 CSB.

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #10
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I miss read that; sorry op! What I meant to say was, it didn't scare you?!
Not really.. I was a lot more excited and happy than scared when checking out the powerband. I was definitely scared of treating the throttle as I would my 300's though. The fear was in the input not the actual surge of power -- that part was insanely awesome .

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #11
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Might sound weird, but the more I road my 600, the more power I found. I guess earlier on I wasn't opening her up, especially not in a low enough gear. I'm not sure you did, since the power is pretty terrifying, versus my 11 hp dirt bike. At least I think so...

Old October 27th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #12
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Might sound weird, but the more I road my 600, the more power I found. I guess earlier on I wasn't opening her up, especially not in a low enough gear. I'm not sure you did, since the power is pretty terrifying, versus my 11 hp dirt bike. At least I think so...
I believe you. I didn't get it past 8k nor tried to accelerate really fast. I was just taken by how much of an improvement it was over the 300, in terms of power.

What the 300 does telepathically in the corners, the ZX6R does with the throttle so I'd imagine fear is a real possibility.

Old October 27th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Things get really, really interesting above 8K. Trust me.

You're doomed as doomed can be.

Welcome to the addiction. You'll be dreaming about that ride....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

675R with the ohlins as about as sweet a bike as there is. But a 636 can be had at great prices.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #15
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
675R with the ohlins as about as sweet a bike as there is. But a 636 can be had at great prices.
Decisions, Decisions. I'll see if I can test ride a 675/R next week. Not sure how willing dealerships are with doing test rides especially when I'm still months out from buying.

Old October 27th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #16
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Gee.. thank Cam. Telling me to get a bike that you personally wouldn't own
I'm saving up for the Daytona 675 for next winter, that way I can track the 300 and maybe do the Level 1 CSB.
C'mon dude first rule of Cameron is that I hate kawasaki. Lol yet I've owned two and I won a couple trophies on them.

I was at ace checking out the ducati's and I sat on the 675. It's a sweet bike. It's the current middle weight king. At least for 2013 that's what all the magazine folks are saying.

Kawasaki is like the Japanese motorcycle industry equivalent to General Motors. Yea the corvette handles well and has a ridiculously awesome motor, but the interior is low rent and it just feels a bit cheap. Kawasaki bikes have powerful motors but they aren't the quality standards of honda and yamaha. Look at the prices of older 600s. The kawis are today's best deals because they aren't coveted. You can pick 636s up for under 5 all day. People still want 6 or 7k for 07 cbr and r6's.

Old October 27th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #17
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

You don't need the 675 with the r stuff. The standard suspension and all that is fine. Plus it's quite a bit less expensive. Walk into ace in concord with a nice shirt on and they'll probabaly let you test ride something. They were going to let me ride the panigale. Lol they still think I'm going to drop a down payment on a 22 grand superbike.

Old October 27th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #18
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Some bike dealers have the worst test ride policies. When Contra Costa Powersports in Concord told me they don't allow test rides; I laughed and walked out. I'm not going to buy something if I can't ride it first
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #19
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Some bike dealers have the worst test ride policies. When Contra Costa Powersports in Concord told me they don't allow test rides; I laughed and walked out. I'm not going to buy something if I can't ride it first
Yeah, its interesting how its not that common to test ride bikes (except for big money exotics). Same story when I bought the 300... All I know is that I don't plan on buying a supersport without test riding it.

Old October 27th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #20
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You don't need the 675 with the r stuff. The standard suspension and all that is fine. Plus it's quite a bit less expensive. Walk into ace in concord with a nice shirt on and they'll probabaly let you test ride something. They were going to let me ride the panigale. Lol they still think I'm going to drop a down payment on a 22 grand superbike.
Hahaha and did you do it -- test ride the Panigale I mean?

I'll stop by ace next weekend and see whats up. Would be nice to see first hand what the 675 is capable of.

Old October 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #21
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
People still want 6 or 7k for 07 cbr and r6's.
The trooof!!! In my limited dealership wanderings - haven't been to a Yami dealer yet but the fit and finish of those Hondas

Glad you had a good time on the 636 but...675 pics in a 636 thread??!!
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #22
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Glad you had a good time on the 636 but...675 pics in a 636 thread??!!
Hehe... I know, I know blasphemy.

But seeing those two 675s in person... boy, were they stunning (never seen one before). I can totally see myself finding excuses just to drop by the garage just to look at it.

The neon green one is the same bike that featured in those Monster Energy Car vs. Motorcycle drift vids on youtube. The grey paint job is a replica of the Castrol AMA race bike.

Needless to say both of these pics are currently filling in as my wallpaper...

Old October 27th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #23
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I have an older 600 and I don't even open it up all the way in first gear lol. Front end gets really light and/or it power wheelies depending on RPM and how sharp I open the throttle and usually I just don't feel like dealing with that haha. Other than that she's a rather tame beast with copious amounts of passing power that I take for granted. I really want to ride some new 600s, namely a 600 and the 636 so I can compare their power to my F4i which is a little more mid range friendly than newer ones. I also want to feel how they handle since I feel like my bike is nice and flickable and light and stable, but newer ones are somehow better lol.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #24
rwheelz
Moroccan Gold Imports

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): '03 ZX9R, '03 ZX7R & wife's '09 250R

It is funny that you say the level of acceleration was unbelievable, and then that you did not exceed 8k rpm. These bikes aren't even coming alive until 10k rpm.

Old October 28th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #25
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheelz View Post
It is funny that you say the level of acceleration was unbelievable, and then that you did not exceed 8k rpm. These bikes aren't even coming alive until 10k rpm.
Actually, I'm kinda glad I didn't exceed 8k -- not sure if resisting the urge to buy a 600 would be possible. At least this way, I experienced a fraction of its capabilities and still be able to get back on the 300 and appreciate it.

Old October 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #26
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Wink

Quote:
yeah but the price bump for the quick shifter, ohlins front and rear, and a bit of carbon fiber isn't bad money for all you get. don't need it, but then again really don't need any of this now do we?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
What the 300 does telepathically in the corners, the ZX6R does with the throttle so I'd imagine fear is a real possibility.
Want the telepathy back? Ride an R6.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #28
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Want the telepathy back? Ride an R6.
Yep, R6 is definitely on the list. Maybe I'll just make a day out of it and test ride the Daytona and the R6 next weekend. Hopefully, this time I'll actually remember to turn my GoPro on

Should be fun since it won't be in a group ride setting like the 6R test ride.

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Faster bikes with more power just made me appreciate my ninjette more. Made me appreciate how much more I had to learn still and how much more I should be listening to what the 250's telling me. Power is loads of fun, but is also used as a rider skill bandage when it actually requires more rider control and finesse.

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #30
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
yeah but the price bump for the quick shifter, ohlins front and rear, and a bit of carbon fiber isn't bad money for all you get. don't need it, but then again really don't need any of this now do we?
Haha, ok touché. I looked at the price again and you make a solid point. The ttx rear end alone is pretty trick.

Adi what I like about 600s on the street is that you can kinda rev em out to 10k and nothing is getting too crazy. But make sure you record your test ride.

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #31
anacron
ninjette.org guru

I'm with you. I can't really see myself selling the 300. If anything I'd probably turn it into a track bike since I already invested in clip-ons and rearsets. Learning how to carry speed through a corner is one of the best lessons the 300 can teach, imo.

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #32
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Faster bikes with more power just made me appreciate my ninjette more. Made me appreciate how much more I had to learn still and how much more I should be listening to what the 250's telling me. Power is loads of fun, but is also used as a rider skill bandage when it actually requires more rider control and finesse.
Or you could just be like me. I like the slow bike for normal riding and when I'm riding with easy paced folks. I want a second bike for pure douche factor. Rolling burnouts? The occasional power wheelie? That's all I want. As long as it doesn't come in a Suzuki flavor or a kawi flavor I'm good. Lol and it has to be red.

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #33
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
I'm with you. I can't really see myself selling the 300. If anything I'd probably turn it into a track bike since I already invested in clip-ons and rearsets. Learning how to carry speed through a corner is one of the best lessons the 300 can teach, imo.
You gotta learn to carry speed on everything. I always laugh when people say that. Soo much more corner speed, this big bore kit has sooo much more torque (common saying in dirt riding world).

So when I get on a 1k I just don't need corner speed at all right?

@rojoracing53

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #34
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
You gotta learn to carry speed on everything. I always laugh when people say that. Soo much more corner speed, this big bore kit has sooo much more torque (common saying in dirt riding world).

So when I get on a 1k I just don't need corner speed at all right?

@rojoracing53
Well duh, just ask the turbo Busa guys with the stretch swing arms. They don't even bother trying to corner any more, they've reached a new plane of skill far beyond anything we could possibly comprehend.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #35
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Someone needs to go find that barf thread of that kid that tried to test ride the wr250x or something and looped it onto a pile of bike for sale when he dropped the clutch not knowing what he was doing. It wasn't a matter of just tipping a few bikes other ether.

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Or you could just be like me. I like the slow bike for normal riding and when I'm riding with easy paced folks. I want a second bike for pure douche factor. Rolling burnouts? The occasional power wheelie? That's all I want. As long as it doesn't come in a Suzuki flavor or a kawi flavor I'm good. Lol and it has to be red.
Lol. I want a fun bike that's capable of being a hooligan, but I'm too much of a goodie two shoes for that

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #37
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You gotta learn to carry speed on everything.
Yeah, but you've ridden with 600's and 1k's that park the bus in the corner and take off on the straights, right?

I'm not sure those guys have the same incentive to carry speed as we do trying to keep up on the 250/300 (and ultimately have more fun while developing skills)

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #38
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Someone needs to go find that barf thread of that kid that tried to test ride the wr250x or something and looped it onto a pile of bike for sale when he dropped the clutch not knowing what he was doing. It wasn't a matter of just tipping a few bikes other ether.
It was a Ninja 650R

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=432410
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #39
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Oh yes that's it. This is why to don't let people test ride a motorcycle

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #40
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Having a break it-buy it policy is a no brainer. But couldn't they only let licensed riders test?

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote