ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #1
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Just a friendly reminder... DON'T TAILGATE!!!

Well I had a near close call this morning.

I was riding to work and I was comming up on a long sweeping 180 degree turn. There was a Tractor Trailer infront of me and it had entered the turn and was just out of my line of site as I entered the turn. As I came close to exiting the turn the Truck came into my line of site with it's brake lights lit and it's tires smoking. I braked and stood the bike up and came to a very fast, but safe stop about 6 feet from the back of the trailer.

I car had come onto the street turning left and the Big Rig had to lock up the brakes to avoid killing the neglegent driver. Had I been tailgating I would not have been able to stop in time, and I would have either lowsided in the turn or smashed right into the back of the trailer.

I recall a something my father always told me when I was a Teen, "SPACE SPACE SPACE!!!" He ground it into my head so much that I always leave a good following distance. To this day that space has saved my skin more times than I can count. Now I say it to everyone... SPACE SPACE SPACE!!!

It is comfortable to tailgate on a motorcycle. Before you even realize you might be traveling 10 feet off of someone's bumper, or even closer.

Once Again...

SPACE SPACE SPACE!!! Be careful out there.

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I think my brother tailgates too often when we ride, maybe I can use this to change his mind.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #3
marsha
ninjette.org member

Name: Marsha

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Thank you for the reminder! Glad that you were able to come to a safe stop.
marsha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #4
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Another good point in this story is to not go flying into blind corners while on the streets.

Anything could be around that corner at any point as the OP has pointed out.

On the tailgating thing, it's a toss up. I'm always worried if I leave a big enough gap between myself and the car in front of me.. another vehicle might see that gap, not check their blind spot and attempt to merge into my lane.

Of course if your following to closely and say a 2x4 is laying across your lane.. you might not have enough time to avoid it.

I try and strike a safe balance between the two as it depends on traffic and conditions.
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

I have something similar and I may have not left enough space. I was on a two lane road behind 2 cars when the car in front came to quick stop trying to turn left when it was clearly marked no left turn. The second car stopped short and I had to come to a kick stop albeit I had to pull next to the back bumper of the car in front of me. But had I been closer or tailgating I probably would have ended up in their back window.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #6
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

I'm a big fan of leaving space. A friend of mine tailgates like crazy when I'm riding in his car. He's one of those people that you would start getting frustrated with when you're trying to ride somewhere but he doesn't even realize that he's too close to your bumper. We went on a road trip and I was constantly trying to convince him to leave more space.

Old June 16th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #7
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
Another good point in this story is to not go flying into blind corners while on the streets.

Anything could be around that corner at any point as the OP has pointed out.

Old June 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #8
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarorc View Post
I'm a big fan of leaving space. A friend of mine tailgates like crazy when I'm riding in his car. He's one of those people that you would start getting frustrated with when you're trying to ride somewhere but he doesn't even realize that he's too close to your bumper. We went on a road trip and I was constantly trying to convince him to leave more space.
I've been telling my brother that for years....I won't even get in the car with him any more. It's been 6 or 7 accidents he's had now and I've got none and drive 30-40k a year between the car and bike.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #9
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Another think to think about is the average car has a shorter stopping distance than a bike.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #10
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

I don't know about that statement
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #11
cifex
ninjette.org guru

I too think you may be mistaken.

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #12
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
I don't know about that statement
what's not to know?

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #13
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Here's an interesting video

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 16th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #14
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Steve is right...more grip equals faster stopping distances.

It's amazing how many people think brakes are the true measure of a vehicle's ability to stop. Certainly they play a huge part, especially the front brake(s); however, without any grip available a car or bike will simply slide forever. It's this nifty thing called friction.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
however, without any grip available a car or bike will simply slide forever. It's this nifty thing called friction.
...and for the less talented of us that can't threshold brake in cars effectively, ABS.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #16
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I have had numerous debates over this fact with guys who rode bikes before I got into them - they claimed they could leave me behind on a track if I was in a car (equal). Tire contact with the road is the factor for controlling braking and cornering speed. The amount of contact of the four tires compared to two should be the logical conclusion, but they would call me out...

I needed this video then maybe I could have won some money, instead of just knowing I was right.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #17
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

When I rode in clear traffic on the highway, I was usually 1-2 seconds behind (with 2 seconds being the recommended following distance), mainly because I can see ahead of the car and know there's no obstacles. I almost paid the price for doing so once. There was a huge piece of bent up metal (probably a sign post) with sharp edges in the middle of the lane. The car had no problem avoiding it, but I didn't have enough time to react to it. Thankfully I was slightly off center, so all I did was graze it with my foot. Scared the CRAP outta me. I did the nice thing and pulled over on the shoulder and got it out of the road.

Now I'm always 2 seconds behind, always. Although I'm usually 1-2 seconds behind in normal city driving, mainly because the speeds rarely go over 40mph.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #18
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
I've been telling my brother that for years....I won't even get in the car with him any more. It's been 6 or 7 accidents he's had now and I've got none and drive 30-40k a year between the car and bike.
6 or 7 accidents? Jesus Christ, wish he'd get his license taken away... to be completely honest.
Mauchner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:30 AM   #19
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauchner View Post
6 or 7 accidents? Jesus Christ, wish he'd get his license taken away... to be completely honest.
Your wish was granted.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:41 AM   #20
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
Your wish was granted.
Good, hope his insurance is retarded as well. lol
Mauchner is offline   Reply With Quote