ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Name: 01010010 01101111 01101101 01100001 01101110

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Just did shimmy mod, choke is killing the bike?

Hey everyone, sorry for the long post first off all... but heres the deal.

The bike doesn't exactly start up to great and at times would sputter after trying to drive off even after it already ran for a few minutes. So I figured I would try the washer/shimmy mod. Plus I wanted to tinker and have my first go at ever messing with carbs.

When I got the bike it came with a Two Brothers slip-on installed fyi...

Well I do the mod and add two washers to each needle (I bought the Radio Shack baggie and used the 2nd smallest washer which fit perfect). While I was down there I decided I would also remove the snorkel and clean the air filter.

Well the bike warms up fast now and takes off perfect. Thing is I tested the choke cable in preparation for morning rides... and if I touch it at all the bike dies. If I start the bike with the choke in it roars up and when I gently slide the choke off it just dies also. Am I still running lean? (the exhaust still pops on throttle let off...)

I figured I would ask for help before I do "this or that" and do too much at once. But my guess is that since the needle kinda hesitates after blipping, my next step is the idle mixture screws?

Should I do any of these also?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10736
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10246
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948
Vip3rV333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Ignore me lol. Misread the post.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

With the mods you have a little decel popping is normal. For that you can do a couple of things. 1. kleen air removal 2. add another washer (this will make it richer and use more fuel) rolling off the throttle instead of letting it snap off will reduce the decel popping as well.

When starting the bike, ease of the choke if you have to use it. Start it up, when the rpms start to rise, lower it a little bit at a time until it stablizes about 1500-2000 rpms. ( I have to do mine in micro increments) Once the bike is warmed it should be ready to ride. The ninja likes to be warmed up nicely but not too quickly, especially in cooler weather. After the bike has been is ridden a little bit check your idle. It should be 1300+/- 50 rpms. The Ninja launches effectively at a little bit over 2k rpms, so it takes a little coaxing to get it going when the engine is cold. As the weather warms up more you will notice a difference in performance as well. If the bike starts to run too rich, just remove a washer.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

It has been popping since I had the bike. I didn't mind it at first but now its just kinda excessive... I think I'm going to do the Kleen removal since that seems to remove the popping.

Also for the choke problem. There was a hose that comes right out of the carbs right at the top. It wasn't connected to anything when I took the tank off... but when I was putting it back on it fit perfectly into the gas level sensor plug thing. I figured it must have slipped off at some point. I unhooked it this morn and the choke seems back to normal. Also anyone know why the extra plug to attach a hose to is on the sensor? "Cali spec" crap I assume?

Old March 21st, 2011, 09:18 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

That hose is a carb vent hose and it does not attach to anything. It just hangs over the back of the airbox. The extra hose attachment on the fuel sensor is probably used for another application. It is completely blocked off.

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

I figured it was some kinda vent... thanks.

Well after reading some more threads on the idle mixture screws, if the tach needle returns kinda slowly to idle after a blip its running lean right? Would the best next step be to add one more washer per needle or to adjust with the mixture screws to rich'en it up?

Again my mods so far are: slip-on, snorkel removed, and two washers per needle.

BTW: NC

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Idle and off idle

Lean condition: Poor off idle throttle response, idle that flutters a little after a throttle blip then slowly returns to the idle that you've set, popping back through the carbs when the throttle is blipped.

Rich condition: Off idle response may be good unless plugs are fouled from a way too rich mixture. After a throttle blip the motor will dive down below set idle and will either die if way too rich or may return to set idle if it can recover.

One thing to remember, air density increases as air gets colder. This means that there are more oxygen molecules in the same space when the air is cold. When the temperature drops, the engine will run leaner and more fuel will have to be added to compensate. When the air temperature gets warmer, the engine will run richer and less fuel will be needed.

You may be ok with the mods you have, it may just be the temps that are affecting the bike. You could either add one more washer per needle or adjust the mixture screws. I would wait till the weather stays about in the 80's to see how it changes. Should be in the 80's the next couple of days.
How did it perform this weekend? The weather was nice, as I'm just up the road a piece from you.

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM   #8
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

That clears things up a bit. Yeah it should be getting warmer so I guess I'll wait it out and then re-evaluate. It road like a dream yesterday after the shimming and it was in the 60-65* temps. Made me reconsider wanting to upgrade to a r6.

My only gripe was the slow rpm drop. I dont rev the bike at stops or intersections, but friends and ppl often want me to rev it a bit and when it lags its not to impressive if you always have to wait for the needle to drop. (I think you get what I'm saying) I understand the needles probably never gonna drop as fast as on a FI or a larger displacement bike or something but I want it to get as close as it possibly can.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:13 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip3rV333 View Post
That clears things up a bit.
...My only gripe was the slow rpm drop. I dont rev the bike at stops or intersections, but friends and ppl often want me to rev it a bit and when it lags its not to impressive if you always have to wait for the needle to drop.
People that race their bikes in between stop lights and rev their bikes unnecessarily at lights don't impress me at all. My motto is.."I ride what I ride. I make it do what it do and if you don't like it...BUY ME ANOTHER ONE".

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
People that race their bikes in between stop lights and rev their bikes unnecessarily at lights don't impress me at all. My motto is.."I ride what I ride. I make it do what it do and if you don't like it...BUY ME ANOTHER ONE".
AGREED!!!

but yes if the idle returns slowly, it's a little lean. About a quarter turn out on the mix screws and it should be just right. Thats what I did when I installed my 2bros slipons. Adjusting the idle mix will also make your very small throttle openings when cruising comfortably in a high gear, or starting from a stop much smoother.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM   #11
Vip3rV333
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
You did notice I said I DON'T do that...

Okay off topic... but I figured I'd rant since I started it.

Just the other day its was in the 80's but I was wearing a leather jacket, gloves and helmet. So I pulled up to a intersection and there was the biggest redneck squid right in front of me. He was wearing a wife beater and no helmet. He was jerking around the whole time at the light, pretending to be checking his tires, bouncing around on the thing, and doing this and that, I could swear his shocks were the most "springiest" things I have ever seen! He was leaning so far over at one point I believe he was trying to check his oil level or something?! I just sat there embarrassed to be seen behind him.

And guess what kinda bike he was on? A gixxer... I used to be OK with those things but now they just have a bad stigma with those posers. He even roared off as soon as the light turned green without waiting for red light runners.