ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Green 2011 SE 52yo Geezer

Not enough Amps #2

A stock 5 watt CB radio takes 2-3 amps. I've seen 400 watts (don't know how many amps) done from a stock little Toyota Corolla just off the battery. How many watts/amps can you pull from a 250R battery if everything else is stock? Is there an easy way to push it up? What's the practical *cheap* limit? I know I could do 4 batteries and 2 alternators but I don't want to go there..
- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #2
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Maybe this is why I haven't seen any 5' antennas on Ninjas yet? I want to think I'm the first genius to try it. But that's not likely. If I can put out 100W I'd be lucky. If I want to do more I need to use all LED bulbs and candles and maybe a kick starter?
- Joe

Old June 15th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

You trying to put a CB and 100w linear on the ninja?
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

This thread may be of some use.

Old June 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

You could... Wire up another alternator in your drivetrain and run a separate battery.. But practicality and feasibility is minimal. Most small car (4-cylinders) alternators are less than 90 amps. Our Ninjettes fire two spark plugs, lights, and lack quite a few forms of heavy-current devices found on most cars. Not many amps.

Looking at the 'maximum' voltage of the devices on the Ninjette, alongside their wattage.. You're looking at working with less than 20 amps coming directly off the alternator. Don't take my word for it though, this is only an approximation based on some elementary equations. (P/V = I, P = 266 W, V = ~14V :. I = 19)

Maybe you could get an 'improved stator' to increase your output..
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
You could... Wire up another alternator in your drivetrain and run a separate battery.. But practicality and feasibility is minimal. Most small car (4-cylinders) alternators are less than 90 amps. Our Ninjettes fire two spark plugs, lights, and lack quite a few forms of heavy-current devices found on most cars. Not many amps.

Looking at the 'maximum' voltage of the devices on the Ninjette, alongside their wattage.. You're looking at working with less than 20 amps coming directly off the alternator. Don't take my word for it though, this is only an approximation based on some elementary equations. (P/V = I, P = 266 W, V = ~14V :. I = 19)

Maybe you could get an 'improved stator' to increase your output..
You're dead on the money. Manual states that Alternator output is 19 amps @ 5000RPM, 14v

Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #7
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

If I put a 2nd battery, lets say a small car battery on the back of the Ninja, in parallel with it's normal battery, would the alternator on it charge both it, and the internal battery? It's not like I'd talk all the time. Or would the radio pull it's watts from the bike's electrical system even though it's just connected to the 2nd battery? A 250W amp should draw about 18 amps on a 14V system, 22 on a 12V system. Can I pull that just off a 2nd battery, but still charge it on a 250R? Yes, I know this is dumb, but not any worse than the Super Charger thread, and this one won't last as long.. I guess I'm doing the equivalent of putting a "Thumpa-Boom-Boom" stereo on a Ninja, but only to use in short bursts.

- Joe

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:21 PM   #8
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

You will put a strain on the alternator when/if you add a second battery. Most audio installs that require a second battery also require a high output alternator. I'm not even sure how you would stuff a second battery on the bike without just strapping it to the back seat.

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
I'm not even sure how you would stuff a second battery on the bike without just strapping it to the back seat.
Airbox delete leaves quite a lot of real estate down there, right in front of the standard battery

Old January 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
A 250W amp should draw about 18 amps on a 14V system, 22 on a 12V system

- Joe
The bike has a 12 volt system, the typical charging rate of an alternator is around 14 volts to ensure the battery is kept chatged. But only at the revs stated, lower rpm will result in lower volts.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

maybe try using a battery isolator to charge the two batteries? dunno how well it would work on the bike, and it'll probably be a real pain to install.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote