ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 8th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Parking Tips and Etiquette?

Hey, still new to riding but I'm finding that every time I go out, I dont know how or where to park. I feel like I'm limited to designated motorcycle spots which quite often dont exist.

Several concerns:
1) when downtown and parallel parking is the only thing available, do you park in between cars or take up an entire spot?
2) what about metered spots? Whole thing or shared with cars?
3) how close to another car? I'm always in fear of it getting bumped.
4) how do you manage the proximity of the spot to your destination?
5) if you were to park on the sidewalk, do you just hop on the closest pedestrian ramp to get on it? how else would you get on it? i feel strange for riding alongside a sidewalk and parking on it.
6) when you need to pay for parking lets say in a structure or in a lot, how does that change your decision and how safe is it?

Overall, I feel the need to park close to where i'm going but in busy areas there is just so many drivers that suck at parking so I'd hate to wedge myself between them and not to mention the meters. I wish bikes would magically become a car when parked in a full sized spot but turns back into a bike when you turn the key... haha

Btw, I live in the bay area but i'd still like to hear thoughts in general. =)
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #2
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

1. Full spot unless there's another bike with me.
2. Get your own spot.
3. I don't park close to other cars.
4. Car/Bike, I always try to get as close as possible.
5. I've only parked on the sidewalk at CycleGear and that's only because there was another bike there. Otherwise, I always take a parking space.
6. It has never bothered me before. If I get nervous, I'll put my padlocks on, but if they really want it, they'll get it.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #3
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

You must know the parking laws for each and every city you ride to. Failure to heed any cities laws will result in a heavy tax being levied for your ignorance.

To be safe park your bike just like it were a car in a marked space. Park in the center of the space rather than the edge so that a car doesn't try and squeeze in and hit your bike. (In San Francisco I once found that my bike had been dragged onto the sidewalk so that I car could take my spot.)

Some cites i.e. Santa Cruz do not allow bikes to park on the sidewalk. Some cities i.e. San Francisco do. Don't do it unless you know it is ok. In San Francisco you cannot block the sidewalk. Rule of thumb is that a wheelchair must be able to easily pass your bike.

Some cities i.e. Portland Oregon don't allow multiple vehicles to use one meter. Other cities let multiple bikes share one car space. Biker etiquette says that you should add time to the meter when you park even if there is time on the meter.

When I find a good "head in" parking space I position my bike so that other bikes can fit in should they arrive.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Also be sure to park on an angle when taking up a full spot so the bike is easier for cagers to see...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #5
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

There are a lot of good ideas and tips in this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50864

(... I guess there's a couple of vents too, maybe. )

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #6
gophurr
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE, 2007 Daytona 675

You need to figure out what the parking laws in your city is first. Here in Chicago you have to park perpendicular to the sidewalk, and can angle your bike so that it doesn't stick out into the street. In Chicago you can get ticketed for parking parallel to the sidewalk.

When parking at metered spots, if possible I usually put my bike in a position so that there is plenty of room between me and the other parked cars, but not enough room for another car to try to squeeze in. That way if another bike is trying to park they have a space too, and my bike doesn't knocked over.

I tend to stay away from parking on the sidewalks, I don't like it when pedestrians use the streets as walk ways, so why would I park/ride on the sidewalk.
gophurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophurr View Post

I tend to stay away from parking on the sidewalks, I don't like it when pedestrians use the streets as walk ways, so why would I park/ride on the sidewalk.
OP lives in the bay area where it is legal to park on sidewalks. It's much better etiquette to park on the sidewalk to allow space for cars in San Francisco.
Pretty much, figure out local laws since every city will be different. Big box stores like walmart, home depot, frys etc generally won't tow if you park on their sidewalk as long as it doesn't obstruct any pathways.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #8
t0ast
ninjette.org member

Name: K

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

In general, if you share a parking spot with a cage, make sure the meter has enough for your time because an expired meter belongs to both you and the cage in the spot. Make sure you're in the white lines for the single spot because if you're on the line in two spots, the meter maid can technically ticket you for either spot being expired.
t0ast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Thanks for all the thoughts. I think I have an idea on how I should treat parking. No different than a car. Thanks. Now time to party!
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote