Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old September 9th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Twisty Road - Next 140 Miles

Not too long ago I was attempting the Google search "Great Motorcycle Roads" and the usual culprits appeared. Though, there was one little marker in Northern California that seemed to come with such high praise that only the best of the best were worthy of setting wheel to this divine strip of asphalt.

Eh, I've never been much for believing the sacred is restricted to a select few.

I read a great write up and photo log of California State Route 36 on another forum and I was in love. I had to see this road for myself. Which of course meant leaving at 6am just to get up to Red Bluff at a somewhat decent time. Google guesstimated I should be back to Carson City within 13 hours and for the most part I have be able to add an hour or two to get within the ballpark of true time.

As an aside, I have read on several sites not to do farkles on the bike just before a big trip. Yeah, well I stuck my tongue out to that one and added in several electronic ports the night before. That turned out to be a mistake as the whole system failed within about five minutes of hitting the freeway. My charging options were now down to the spare batteries I keep in the tank bag. Oops. Also meant I stopped in both Susanville and Red Bluff to purchase and install a new relay in hopes that would solve the problem. A lot of time and funds spent in both places only to have to give up on the idea and just ride.

I decided to ride the entire length of CA 36 which begins just outside Susanville coming off of 395 and ends just south of Fortuna as it splits off Hwy 101. While there is some beautiful scenery between Susanville and Red Bluff, there is only one small segment that gives a taste of what the main main road is like so unless you are crazy loco like me, pick your poison to get to Red Bluff.

It is just outside Red Bluff that the famous Twisty Road sign sits as you turn out of town and head off towards the mountains to the west. It has a nice dirt pull out around it so plenty of space for the obligatory photo op.

As you head west, the road winds and dances over small hills covered in golden grass and low green trees. There are a few spots where the road will twist just above or below a rise so this isn't causal riding, but if you stick with the speed limit there is no portion where you feel out of control on the road. It was fun and having my stomach drop or float as I made my way along was a fun feeling and left me grinning as I approached the mountains.

Not sure exactly where I went from foothills to mountains but the road definitely changes. Actual turns replace the gentle curves and the terrain gives way to more cliffs and wide views. There were portions where all you had to do was rock the bike back and forth as you rolled through left-right-left-right sequences that contoured up the mountain. This is a narrow two lane road for the most part, though one section (about 10 miles or so) is an unpainted one lane road with the sharp curves to match. Traffic was light on the Labor Day Saturday and aside from one vehicle everyone either pulled over or waved me by. I met a few cycles eastbound but while I overtook some GoldWings I wasn't buzzed by any sport bikes using the road as a track. There are a few spots to pull over and just look at Nature's beauty around you because believe me, you will not be doing any sightseeing while riding.

After you come down from the mountain, the terrain flattens out as you wind up in the flatlands approaching the coast. More traffic and buildings appear and it feels like you've entered a new realm after being free for so long. I turned north on 101 to head to Fortuna and grab a bite and fuel. Did discover that my GPS gave out about 30 miles before town but the SPOT hadn't successfully transmitted my point since just outside Red Bluff. Not sure why the failure unless the tree cover and terrain blocked the signal from going through. I hot wired the GPS by bypassing the relay so I would have it on the entire ride back. My Dad has been using the tracking feature to ensure nothing serious happens where no one knows where I am for hours on end.

The return trip may lull you into a false sense of knowing the road but do not let it. There is enough variety that a simple out and back is not enough to learn the character of this road. I found areas that had been fun sweepers were mere bumps and areas that I didn't even register became a focus demanding series of angles no car was meant to make. I only got stuck behind one truck and trailer who didn't recognize a turnoff despite several of them being signed. Finally got around him and made my way back over the mountain.

The fun part, for me, was when I caught up to a rider on a BMW. The line and pace he was taking seemed perfect to me so I rode in his shadow all the way to Red Bluff. I was probably 5 seconds behind him and really felt the corners smoothed out for me as I locked onto his pace. That was a great experience and proves even more to me I do better when tagging along behind someone.

After another bite and fuel in Red Bluff I headed back towards Susanville as the sun began to set. I hadn't wanted to be anywhere near Lassen when darkness settled due to the deer in the area but time was against me and that's where I found myself. As I got deeper into the forest, I began seeing white dots heading straight into my headlights, like rain even though my visor was clear. I discovered I was riding through either a low cloud or high fog and it was raining on me without it raining. Pulled over in Chester to don the rain gear (mesh was making me cold) and wipe off the film of water that had collected on the visor.

Because of the stops and repairs and general slacking off, I found myself back at Hallelujah Junction just before midnight and absolutely exhausted. I opted to grab a 20 minute nap on the bike, pulled near some semis to hide and just laid back to watch the stars. That was enough to get me safely home and nestled back into a warm and soft bed.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; September 10th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old September 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Nice write-up! I'm going to have to come up and join you sometime once I figure out my fuel economy issues.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Nice write-up! I'm going to have to come up and join you sometime once I figure out my fuel economy issues.
Always glad for company, but yeah, definitely need better than 30 mpg. I need to head south more and see what roads lie in the southern half of the state. But NorCal is just to fun.

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Haven't we seen that sign before?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yeah. I posted it elsewhere and I think a there are a few other versions floating around.

I was too busy riding to take stills and have been too lazy to put together a video. I should work on that tonight.

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
yeah, @Alex had a funny one with willy wonka in someone elses thread where they posted a sign that said ( ~~ next 16miles) I tried to find it to no avail

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Last time I was in "dirty cali" I found a scenic, twisty, windy, hilly, picturesque, road (best done on a dual sport or motard). It is Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (US Highway Forest Route 22s01) from Fort Hunter Liggett to US 1 at Mill Creek Pinic Area (Big Sur).

There was no traffic and much fun.

Old September 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
yeah, @Alex had a funny one with willy wonka in someone elses thread where they posted a sign that said ( ~~ next 16miles) I tried to find it to no avail
Link

Nice writeup, NW!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #9
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Last time I was in "dirty cali" I found a scenic, twisty, windy, hilly, picturesque, road (best done on a dual sport or motard). It is Nacimiento-Fergusson Road (US Highway Forest Route 22s01) from Fort Hunter Liggett to US 1 at Mill Creek Pinic Area (Big Sur).

There was no traffic and much fun.
That's one of the biggest reasons I'd like someone to hand me a G650 GS, there are SO MANY roads it there that are just a bit too rough for the street bike but perfectly passable anyway. Especially up in the Sierras with the old logging roads or out here in the desert with the old mining roads. Most of the world isn't paved and I'd like a bike that can go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nice writeup, NW!
Thank you, I try. Since I suck at remembering to take pictures, have to make up for it with a wall of words.

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #10
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Thank you, I try. Since I suck at remembering to take pictures, have to make up for it with a wall of words.
Get another camera that just continuously takes pictures
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Get another camera that just continuously takes pictures
I tried that on the Heaven to Hell ride, but the battery died. Just discovered that the Contour will only charge and record when using Contour brand cables. Otherwise it just charges or records, not both.

Now that I have a plug right about the camera mount, I'm hoping to plug it in and just let it grab a ton of stills to try creating a timelapse.

I still need to repair the other camera I have, it needs a new lens but since Contour is out of business all the busted parts cameras on eBay have been snapped up.

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #12
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
I tried that on the Heaven to Hell ride, but the battery died. Just discovered that the Contour will only charge and record when using Contour brand cables. Otherwise it just charges or records, not both.
Oh that's good to know. I thought it couldn't charge and record at the same time at all.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #13
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
At least that's what Contour says, though makes me wonder what they've done to their cables that makes it work. There are only so many pins in those...

Quote:
BATTERY LIFE EXPECTANCY FOR THE CONTOURROAM
The battery life on the ContourROAM is about 2.5 to 3 hours on a full charge, depending on settings and conditions. You can provide continuous power to the camera if you need to record for longer than that by using a Contour brand wall charger or the Contour brand car charger. Both are designed specifically to supply continuous power to the camera while also charging the internal battery. There are avail...

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Oh that's good to know. I thought it couldn't charge and record at the same time at all.
Tested it tonight, it seems that the Contour cable works for the +2 but not for the Roam2. At least, that's the one that came on while I had it plugged in.

Linked a video in the OP that's just waiting on YouTube to finish it's dark magic.

Old September 11th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #15
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

NW, great report! I have to add HWY 36 to the bucket list.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:18 PM   #16
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I want to try and hit this up when I make it to Cali along with Red Rock Canyon rd outside Las Vegas next month. Would you like to do it again? I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
As long as Ma Nature keeps the snow at bay and other commitments don't interfer, I'd love too.

Old September 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #18
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Damn, you're logging some serious miles

Are you using the stock seat?
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Is that to me or @cuong-nutz? Cause if Cuong is riding from Houston to Vegas to Fortuna, that's some serious miles too.

If me, yeah, stock seat, rearsets, and handlebars. I want frame sliders again to prop my feet forward for a change in position but otherwise the stock position is mostly working.

Old September 24th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #20
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Teri, I'll be taking my bike with me in the back of my truck across to the west coast. Girlfriend I are making it a little road trip. She won't be partaking on the rides with me but I'm working out the time constraints when I do make it to California. It'll take me a food day to hit up red bluff and take the coast back to so cal. I may hit up Angeles crest and mulholland drive for poser points coming into Cali.

Old September 24th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #21
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Is that to me or @cuong-nutz? Cause if Cuong is riding from Houston to Vegas to Fortuna, that's some serious miles too.

If me, yeah, stock seat, rearsets, and handlebars. I want frame sliders again to prop my feet forward for a change in position but otherwise the stock position is mostly working.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote